PDA

View Full Version : Blueyonder installation query

mborg
04-06-2005, 12:48
Hi there

Browsed cable forum for an age seeing as how I have cable tv and phone through TW, but thought I'd try a post.

Just about to have telewest blueyonder installed and I've a couple of questions. I've tried to find answers in the forum, but no luck so far.

The first one is probably really stupid, but I want to go via NIC rather than USB. But how do I tell whether I need an ISA or a PCI card?

Secondly, from what I've found on my searches, I presume that the connection will run from the street to the "white box" that I think is a splitter to the STB to the PC. Is this right? Or will it bypass the STB?

Only getting the basic 512k service, but thought I'd try to get some answers.

Thanks in advance.

DrClaw
05-06-2005, 12:27
get a programme called belarc advisor of the web and see what motherboard you are using (if you dont already know). Then check out what specs your motherboard has as far as pci or isa slots go. You should have the anwser to your first question there.

Belarc advisor is a web based programme tho so if you dont have access its time to pull out all the paperwork you have for your system.

sencondly no it will not bypass the stb and does require a splitter.

MalcUK2005
07-06-2005, 19:03
ISA cards are generally not found in modern computers so if your computer is less then 3-4 years old its unlikley to have ISA slots.

JohnHorb
07-06-2005, 19:24
I THINK I'm right in saying that Telewest don't support broadband via the STB, in which case, you will get a separate SACM (Stand-Alone Cable Modem).

Oh, and :welcome: to the forum.

MalcUK2005
07-06-2005, 19:28
You will receive a seperate cable modem but they will probably install a splitter at the same outlet that the STB is on. You can have broadband through a STB this is called the self install kit but this isn't actively marketed unless you want togo for telewests wireless kit.