PDA

View Full Version : wireless help needed

chrisa
04-06-2005, 12:24
Hi guys,

I recieved my wireless-G broadband router today, set it up on the desktop as instructed. However, whenever i try to access a website on my laptop get the message "access denied by access control list" even though the connection is "excellent" according to the laptop. Thus it would seem that i have messed up somewhere, and being a complete newb to these things i don't have a clue about what to do next.

Any helpful advice would be appreciated

Thanks

Raistlin
04-06-2005, 12:29
Can you access any websites from your laptop?

Have you tried pinging any websites?

Go to:

Start > Run

Type cmd and press enter

now type:

ping www.bbc.co.uk

What results do you get? Are you able to successfully ping the site?

How were you connected when you posted your message? Were you connected through the router?

chrisa
04-06-2005, 12:43
no site came up after trying that command

I am currently on the desktop.
When i type an address into IE i get the same message (as above).
My laptop has detected the connection and says it has an excellent connection, but no kuck when accessing websites.

Hmm :(

Marge
04-06-2005, 12:43
Can you check whether you have a proxy server ticked, if so try unticking it and trying again

iain_herts
04-06-2005, 12:47
have u rebooted the modem if not turn off modem pc/laptop router now turn on in this order modem-router-pc/laptop.

just make sure all modem lights are solid befor turning on router.

iain

Raistlin
04-06-2005, 12:57
Ok.

Sounds like you 've got something not set right in the router's control panel.

Go to 192.168.1.1 from your wired connection and check through the settings, you need to look at the Wireless MAC Filter, DHCP Server, Access Restrictions settings, and anything else that looks like it could impose some sort of barrier.

chrisa
04-06-2005, 13:02
Ok.

Sounds like you 've got something not set right in the router's control panel.

Go to 192.168.1.1 from your wired connection and check through the settings, you need to look at the Wireless MAC Filter, DHCP Server, Access Restrictions settings, and anything else that looks like it could impose some sort of barrier.

Im at the wireless settings part, and i don't really have any clue about what to do, like i say im crap with all this kind of stuff. In any case, the waireless MAC filter is disabled, the internet connection type is set as automatic configuration DHCP, DHCP server is enabled, MTU is auto. I have no clue what any of these things are let alone if they are hindering my laptop...

iain_herts
04-06-2005, 13:16
wot is the ip you are getting on the laptop and pc

chrisa
04-06-2005, 13:25
Can you check whether you have a proxy server ticked, if so try unticking it and trying again

All done, it was the above that was the problem! thanks guys

Marge
04-06-2005, 13:42
Glad it's sorted, sometimes it's the simplest of things that end up with us tearing our hair out. Took me almost 8 hours and two long phone calls to Stuartbe to sort mine :rolleyes:

Raistlin
04-06-2005, 13:43
All done, it was the above that was the problem! thanks guys

Nice one :tu: