PDA

View Full Version : Fraternities

Jerrek
25-09-2003, 06:32
Is anyone here in a fraternity? I'm entering third year now and I'm considering joining a chapter of the Zeta Psi fraternity here on campus. :) Anyone have advice or stories?

Chris
25-09-2003, 19:00
This is a completely alien concept to anyone who has been to university in the UK, AFAIK. And seeing as most of us on here are in the UK, and not everyone's been to university, I'd be surprised if you get any takers...

Perhaps you could tell us what a fraternity is tho?

Theodoric
25-09-2003, 19:04
Originally posted by towny
This is a completely alien concept to anyone who has been to university in the UK, AFAIK. And seeing as most of us on here are in the UK, and not everyone's been to university, I'd be surprised if you get any takers...

True. British universities have clubs and societies, but nothing like fraternities. I would suggest that the nearest thing might be such semi-secret socities as The Apostles in pre-war Cambridge.

Atomic22
25-09-2003, 19:39
fraternities are sommat the people in usa/canada have...
they seem to join them when they leave school and go to uni , probably aged about 23 seeing as they go to school from age 5 to 22 if tv is anything to go by.....then stay at uni till they are about 35 it seems......if they lived in england and left school at 16 they wouldnt be able to cope

Jerrek
25-09-2003, 21:10
Fraternities (for men) and sororities (for women) can be defined:

1 : a group of people associated or formally organized for a common purpose, interest, or pleasure: as a : a fraternal order b : GUILD c : a men's student organization formed chiefly for social purposes having secret rites and a name consisting of Greek letters d : a student organization for scholastic, professional, or extracurricular activities

You'd probably go with (b). Fraternities have Greek names. There are two fraternities and one sorority at my school. I'm thinking of joining Zeta Psi.

Fraternities allow you to meet new people. Lots of new people. A lot of university grads are in fraternities, and Brad Pitt (for example) is also in the Zeta Psi frat.

We do have clubs and societies, but they are not the same as a fraternity. A fraternity is for life... And you usually pay a membership fee. The Zeta Psi membership fee is something like $320.

Bah. Nevermind guys, I didn't realize you don't have fraternities.

And no, we go to high school from 5 to 18, and then to university after that. Colleges can't have a fraternity. ONLY universities can have a fraternity.

Atomic22
26-09-2003, 20:17
yeh but you go to school from the age of about 5 until you are 35

Shaun
26-09-2003, 20:26

Its even stranger for those that don't go to a 'brick' uni, but it sounds like fun.

The OU do 'Summer Schools' where you go away for the week, or so and spend it learning and drinking. Its great fun, and an excelent way of meeting new people.
The good thing is not only has the Open University got loads of 18-25 students, it has students of older ages too, which makes it really intresting. I can't wait untill next june when I go away again.:D

Jerrek
27-09-2003, 18:46
Originally posted by Atomic22
yeh but you go to school from the age of about 5 until you are 35
What? I will gruadate in 2 years time, when I'm 22. And I only took that long because I study co-op [meaning, half the time I work full time].

Chris
27-09-2003, 18:55
Originally posted by dellwear
Its even stranger for those that don't go to a 'brick' uni, but it sounds like fun.

The OU do 'Summer Schools' where you go away for the week, or so and spend it learning and drinking. Its great fun, and an excelent way of meeting new people.
The good thing is not only has the Open University got loads of 18-25 students, it has students of older ages too, which makes it really intresting. I can't wait untill next june when I go away again.:D

Sounds like a nice way of getting round the problem of the OU being a kind of virtual university ... what are you studying, and how long do you expect the course to take?

Shaun
27-09-2003, 19:07
Sounds like a nice way of getting round the problem of the OU being a kind of virtual university ... what are you studying, and how long do you expect the course to take?

I'm doing a Bsc (hons) in Molecular Sciences , I think it's gonna take me a total of 4 years, maybe three, depends on how I get on next year with my 130 points. If its not a struggle then I should be able to fit the final 120 points in one year, if I think it'll affect my grades then I'll split it over two, and spend a couple of years working in a lab at the same time.

But I don't think I'd go to a brick uni now, working with the OU is so much fun, and it means I can keep my house, I don't have to leave all my friends to do it and best of all I don't have to go to either of Leicester's university's!! (sorry Chim)

There are loads of people I know studying with the OU, and over the last 4/5 years a large proportion of them have been school leavers. I think it's because the courses are so well made and the OU has such a good reputation as well as the flexibility.

Its also nice to be able to go to one of the top 10 uni's in the country without all the stress of applying, or going through clearing.:D

Chimaera
27-09-2003, 19:48
It's alright Dell - I wasn;t thinking of going to Leicester Uni either!! :D
I agree with the OU system though - just completing my first course (to see if I could do it) and will be enrolling on my second shortly.
Thought they were doing away with summer schools though, dell?

Shaun
27-09-2003, 19:56
Originally posted by Chimaera
It's alright Dell - I wasn;t thinking of going to Leicester Uni either!! :D
I agree with the OU system though - just completing my first course (to see if I could do it) and will be enrolling on my second shortly.
Thought they were doing away with summer schools though, dell?

Didn't take you long did it Edina! What was the pie like? :p

What they are doing with the summer schools is taking them out of the main modules, and converting them into standalone 10 point courses.

Before they used to just be included in the 30 or 60 point modules, and didn't have a separate examinable component. Now they have an end of course assignment, which means it's an extra 10 points toward your degree/diploma/certificate.

And they are well worth going to, I enjoyed mine so much this year I'm so looking forward to next years. I've booked my two for next year already! :)

Graham
27-09-2003, 22:19
Perhaps you could tell us what a fraternity is tho? [/B]

Oh come on, Towny! You've *never* watched Animal House?!:eek:

Lord Nikon
27-09-2003, 22:33
Originally posted by Graham
Oh come on, Towny! You've *never* watched Animal House?!:eek:

Or PCU lol

Jerrek
30-09-2003, 20:22
What is brick, and what is OU? (Yes I'm dumb... :blush:)

Mark W
30-09-2003, 20:30
What is brick, and what is OU? (Yes I'm dumb... :blush:)

brick = a physical institution - with buildings etc

OU = open university - a correspondace/online learning degree

AFAIK

Shaun
30-09-2003, 22:17

AFAIK

Sorry Jerrek, thats my fault :blush:

Chris
01-10-2003, 08:51

AFAIK

Yes, except 'OU' is not a general term used for any correspondence degree - there is a real university called 'the Open University' (headquartered in Milton Keynes of all places), which confers its own degrees, but as you say, you study that degree largely by correspondence.

Shaun
01-10-2003, 13:20
Yes, except 'OU' is not a general term used for any correspondence degree - there is a real university called 'the Open University' (headquartered in Milton Keynes of all places), which confers its own degrees, but as you say, you study that degree largely by correspondence.

Its largely done at home, but they do provide lectures every week, or so and you can ring your tutor at any time, they also provide access to many of their courses on-line at www.open.ac.uk

To be honest, it's much friendlier than a 'real' Uni, but it is a little quaint.