PDA

View Full Version : Random loss of broadband conectivity problem

NBCorpse
03-06-2005, 01:57
Ok, been a lurker here for a little while, but this is my first post, and guess what, it's about my flakey NTL broadband connection :banghead:

So, here goes, the problem has been ongoing for the last 8ish weeks ( although it has been happening since january from time to time). The issue is that at totally random times during the day, i will lose my connection the the internet. The RDY light will at times flash and then go out, or will just go out. I can attempt to reboot the modem, sometimes i am able to access the internet afterwards, sometimes i have to attempt to reboot the modem two or three times before a connection can be made. The connection can drop when i am reading webpages, downloading stuff, or playing online games.

I have cable TV, and have noticed that it often doesn't respond to the remote control, or will "lock up" from time to time.

I have lost count of the number of phone calls i have placed to the tech support people, and i have had 5 engineers out in the last 7 weeks to "try" to fix this issue, Today i even managed to get the engineer to get the network engineers to come and check the cab box down the road from me incase that was the cause.

I live in Salisbury, run WinXP with SP2,i have a standard NTL200 modem, and i have a simple set up consisting of my PC connected directly to the cable modem.

Extra info that might be usfull:-
i was looking at the diagnostic pages for my modem and noted that today i was getting the following readings.

Downstream SNR = 32.5 average
Downstream Received Power = -3.5DBmV before engineers -5.1DBmV after
Upstream Transmit Power = has ranged from as low as 11DBmV up to 58.5DBmV

Hopefully someone here will be able to help solve this problem, or at least point me in the right direction regarding it:bigcry:

bontrager
03-06-2005, 07:30
this isnt any help, but make sure you get a refund when/if they do fix it.

I had the same problem once, it took ages to fix as they wouldnt take me seriously as when engineers would come out, the service would be okat etc.

then i found, via a forum, that several of us on the same upstream had the issue. We all escalated it and eventuall NTL fixed the fluctuating signal strength at their end...

good luck.

Paul K
03-06-2005, 08:38
Those power levels look a little flakey, some of them are very close to the accepted minimum and maximum levels. It might be a bit later in the day before one of our very helpful CS people get to look into this for you but if you give them the chance they will do whatever they can to fix it for you :)
Welcome to the forum by the way :welcome:

mrlipring
03-06-2005, 17:28
Mine's really ****ing me off too. Literally 2 or 3 times a day i have to reboot it. USB or Ethernet, it makes no difference.

I'll check my levels and post back...

edit:

Downstream Receive Power Level : -4.7 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 32.8 dB
Upstream Transmit Power Level : 54.75 dBmV

edit again: unless i'm reading it wrong, Robin Walker's site would suggest that everything is A-OK. Odd. The upstream power level is VERY near the maximum acceptable level, and the downstream's close to the minimum, but they're not outwith spec. It's the silver ntl:200 ambit i've got. The STB is always ok (as ok as a pace box gets) but the modem does really heat up.

I can't really remember, but i'm sure i had trouble with one of these modems the last time i was an NTL customer, a few years ago..

sollp
03-06-2005, 19:09
Mine's really ****ing me off too. Literally 2 or 3 times a day i have to reboot it. USB or Ethernet, it makes no difference.

I'll check my levels and post back...

edit:

Downstream Receive Power Level : -4.7 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 32.8 dB
Upstream Transmit Power Level : 54.75 dBmV

edit again: unless i'm reading it wrong, Robin Walker's site would suggest that everything is A-OK. Odd. The upstream power level is VERY near the maximum acceptable level, and the downstream's close to the minimum, but they're not outwith spec. It's the silver ntl:200 ambit i've got. The STB is always ok (as ok as a pace box gets) but the modem does really heat up.

I can't really remember, but i'm sure i had trouble with one of these modems the last time i was an NTL customer, a few years ago..

Yes like you say the levels aren't way out, Upstream is borderline, ideally you want it lower but again not drastic. If the modem is overheating maybe that is one problem as it won't work properly if overheating.

IanGuy
03-06-2005, 19:49
I'd say the upstream power levels are most likely to be the cause of outages. Nearly everytime I've had problems with NTL it's due to upstream, as the RDY light either flashes, takes too long to stabilise or later just goes off randomly. All results of a bad upstream power level.

sollp
03-06-2005, 20:54
Ok, been a lurker here for a little while, but this is my first post, and guess what, it's about my flakey NTL broadband connection :banghead:

So, here goes, the problem has been ongoing for the last 8ish weeks ( although it has been happening since january from time to time). The issue is that at totally random times during the day, i will lose my connection the the internet. The RDY light will at times flash and then go out, or will just go out. I can attempt to reboot the modem, sometimes i am able to access the internet afterwards, sometimes i have to attempt to reboot the modem two or three times before a connection can be made. The connection can drop when i am reading webpages, downloading stuff, or playing online games.

I have cable TV, and have noticed that it often doesn't respond to the remote control, or will "lock up" from time to time.

I have lost count of the number of phone calls i have placed to the tech support people, and i have had 5 engineers out in the last 7 weeks to "try" to fix this issue, Today i even managed to get the engineer to get the network engineers to come and check the cab box down the road from me incase that was the cause.

I live in Salisbury, run WinXP with SP2,i have a standard NTL200 modem, and i have a simple set up consisting of my PC connected directly to the cable modem.

Extra info that might be usfull:-
i was looking at the diagnostic pages for my modem and noted that today i was getting the following readings.

Downstream SNR = 32.5 average
Downstream Received Power = -3.5DBmV before engineers -5.1DBmV after
Upstream Transmit Power = has ranged from as low as 11DBmV up to 58.5DBmV

Hopefully someone here will be able to help solve this problem, or at least point me in the right direction regarding it:bigcry:

With that upstream power level you are having, no wonder your having problems. You need to get someone out to get that looked at. For it to vary so much there is something drastically wrong with either your internal cabling or modem or the network has problems. I would have thought though if it was network problem there should be more people with same problem!

mrlipring
03-06-2005, 23:20
Yes like you say the levels aren't way out, Upstream is borderline, ideally you want it lower but again not drastic. If the modem is overheating maybe that is one problem as it won't work properly if overheating.

Thing is, it's on a desk, by itself. There's nothing around it, above or below that generates heat, and i've tried it upside down too, just in case. It's ****ing me off in a MAJOR way, because it'll happen mid-game, and i'll obviously lose connection to the server, or it'll happen mid-download and i'll come back to check on it later on and nothing will have transferred, etc.

I can't imagine there being much i can do at this end, having ascertained that it IS the modem there's a problem with. It's definitely nothing to do with my PC, so i guess the next step is to get onto CS. When i get a chance.