PDA

View Full Version : Extending wireless range

gkhewitt
02-06-2005, 19:15
Hi guys

I know there are several topics on this (have read them all) but none of them really cover what I'm after, I think. For the last few years I have been the sysadmin for a local church parish office, dealing with the small network and so on. They've always had internet through an ISDN line but this was becoming more expensive each month, especially since members of the clergy and other such staff would come in out-of-hours and use the net in the office.

I finally got the place upgraded to ADSL a few months ago and at the same time setup a wireless router (the Netgear DG834G) and stuck a Linux box in for filesharing and e-mail servering. This meant that the other end of the office used by the curate and youthworker could now use the network and the Internet.

We recently appointed a new curate who turns out to be a bit of a net-head. The next step of the plan is to get the network over to Church house, which is still on the same site, just a seperate building about 70m from the office where the router currently is. I tested the range with my tablet PC and could get a weak signal (but still useable) from the front window of church house, however, his Apple Powerbook couldn't get anything (I suspect due to its metal casing weakening the signal).

So now actually down to the nitty gritty, as I see it we have a few options:

1) Go wired. This would be my preferred option but since it would involve digging up a driveway it really isn't feasible

2) Get a better antenna on the router. This seems like a good plan to boost the signal, but I have read many mixed reviews on the various ones out there and really don't know what is best for this situation.

3) Buy a wireless repeater. Again, seems like a good plan, but does it need a strong signal in the first place? The idea would seemingly be to put a repeater in the window of Church house.

So I'm hoping that one of you might have had some experience with antennas or repeaters and could possibly point me in the right direction ?

Many thanks in advance (and sorry for the long-ish post but I thought it best to give some background)!

JohnHorb
02-06-2005, 19:22
Have you tried the 'Pringles' option? I know it sounds odd, but apparently Pringles tubes, used correctly, are very good at extending the range of wireless networks - try a google and/or search of this forum.

absthechatter
02-06-2005, 19:24
I use a Belkin Pre-N router and card. It is 65 meters from the router to an outbuilding I have converted to an office at the bottom of the garden. I get about 60% signal and have never had any problems with losing a connection. I believe other manufactures are about to bring out new N type wireless equipment that should be even better.

Abs

gkhewitt
02-06-2005, 20:08
John - yes I did think of the Pringles option, but as I understand it, the can antennas are directional ones, ie. they only deal in the direction that they're pointing. This would be useless since the wireless is used all over the office and hopefully soon in church house.

Abs - I'm really not keen on replacing the DG834G we shelled out £80 for, my hope is to maybe spend £20 on a fancy antenna or maybe £40 on a repeater (or similar)

Thanks for the input so far

Roy MM
02-06-2005, 20:11
http://www.hawkingtech.com/prodSpec.php?ProdID=242

JohnHorb
02-06-2005, 20:13
Bit more than £20 though!

Matthew
02-06-2005, 20:30
In Staples I have noticed a Linksys wireless extender but do not know how good it is.

What I have done is run a wireless network over the road to my friends and in total is about 200m point to point. I purchased another Belkin acces point added it in so I have two within the house (the router has an access point built in) and stuck this one in the window and it works. Just got to get a PCI card for his pc and in Maplin they do these big aerials for about 10-20 which I will get.

KingPhoenix
02-06-2005, 21:44
In Staples I have noticed a Linksys wireless extender but do not know how good it is.

They only work with Linksys kit though.... i used them to blanket my factory floor with a wireless network for PDAs....

Hom3r
02-06-2005, 21:50
gkhewitt - try looking on the netgear / linksys website and see what equipment is on offer.

I have a belkin Wireless Access Point / Range Extender on my home network without any problems.

dilli-theclaw
02-06-2005, 21:51
I'd love to extend my wireless range so I could reach work. But there's a tain line in between me and work so I doubt I could do it :(

It's only - about 2km if that.

Stuart
02-06-2005, 21:53
Well, you could always try the pringles trick (http://www.turnpoint.net/wireless/antennas/mypringles.html)

dilli-theclaw
02-06-2005, 21:56
Well, you could always try the pringles trick (http://www.turnpoint.net/wireless/antennas/mypringles.html)

I did think of that actually - but the trouble is that the train line is across an embankment with my worksite down the other side so there's no line of sight :(

I think I should lobby work to install a phone line so I can tie it up all day with a dial up account.

gkhewitt
02-06-2005, 22:36
I have looked through all the Netgear stuff on offer. From what I can see, Netgear either offer me an outdoor flat antenna (which has not had great reviews) or buy another access point.

Has anyone had any experience with using Netgear APs as repeaters?