PDA

View Full Version : Broadband keeps cutting off

Decimate
02-06-2005, 09:58
This is driving me crazy...

Ever since I have used NTL I have had problems, but at the moment it is worse than ever.

These are the problems I get:

I log on and all seems to be fine, then the connection goes down. This can be down anywhere from 5 minutes to 5 hours. I've contaced NTL about it, and even had an engineer round, but the problem still isn't fixed.

I either get the ready light flashing on and off and I can't connect.

Or, I get no Ready light and no Sync light and I can't connect.

Is there anything that I am doing wrong, or aything I can do to stop this?

Paul K
02-06-2005, 10:19
Welcome to the forums :wavey:
Can you post the answers to this
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=15305
on this thread so we know what equipment etc you have :)

Now I did say post the answers on this thread lol
Ok here goes...

I cannot connect to the internet, and there is no set pattern to this.
This has been happening for about a week now.

I do not have cable TV

I have contacted customer support and they did not know what the problem was.

I have also had an enigineer visit. The problem was not resolved

I don't have a great deal of knowledge about broadband connections, but I have checked the wires, and the settings on the computer and I cannot see anything wrong.

I am located in essex
My OS is windows xp
My broadband connection runs through a wireless router to two pc's.
the problems occurs on both machines
I am running windows firewall on both machines
I am not at my home pc at the moment so i cannot run a traceroute.
Do you get the same problem if you directly connect to the router? Going wired for a test might help to rule out a problem with the wireless end of it.

ian@huth
02-06-2005, 10:41

Do you get the same problem if you directly connect to the router? Going wired for a test might help to rule out a problem with the wireless end of it.Are you a mind reader Paul? Where did the idea that the OP has either a router or wireless network come from? :) :)

Paul K
02-06-2005, 10:43

Do you get the same problem if you directly connect to the router? Going wired for a test might help to rule out a problem with the wireless end of it.Are you a mind reader Paul? Where did the idea that the OP has either a router or wireless network come from? :) :)
From the wrong thread he posted his answers in ;) Check the link in my other post lol

ian@huth
02-06-2005, 10:47
From the wrong thread he posted his answers in ;) Check the link in my other post lolFrom what I can see the opening post is the only one that Decimate has made. :confused:

Paul K
02-06-2005, 10:48
From the wrong thread he posted his answers in ;) Check the link in my other post lolFrom what I can see the opening post is the only one that Decimate has made. :confused:
It's being moderated as that thread is now locked to stop it occuring again lol Lord knows what they have done with his answers though :erm: Maybe they shuld edit his first post and add them.... hint hint mods;)

GazzaB
02-06-2005, 10:50
Hi Decimate
Welcome to the forums :welcome:
If you are loosing Sync or Rdy light there is nothing you can do and no amount of messing your end will fix it. Loss of either/both these lights indicates a signal/network issue with Ntl's service get onto tech support again to get another engineer to have a look!

lisa1979
02-06-2005, 10:53
Had mine fixed here, spot on

Paul K
02-06-2005, 10:54
Hi Decimate
Welcome to the forums :welcome:
If you are loosing Sync or Rdy light there is nothing you can do and no amount of messing your end will fix it. Loss of either/both these lights indicates a signal/network issue with Ntl's service get onto tech support again to get another engineer to have a look!
That's what I thought but since an engineer had been out I would have thought any obvious issues should have been sorted already. Looks like either a problem that front line CS can't quite pinpoint of the engineer failed to resolve it properly when he visited :erm:

buglawton
02-06-2005, 16:39
Your symptoms sound identical to what I had a year ago. NTL were able so see from the Stats that our link had been down for say, 20% of the time. I pushed to get an engiineer out. He did some measurements involving the signal from the street box and showed us how to see the key figures on a certain ip address page, pointing out how the signal level had been wrong & was correct after adjustment. Since that time the connenction has always been up apart from occasional known wider outages.

If an engineer does come out, ensure he checks the signal level reaching your home (ask if they did that last time). I suspect things go out of kilter as more local people get connected.

Cheers - Nigel

Decimate
06-06-2005, 12:40
Thanks for all the help. It looks like I've got the answers I needed. I'll come back and moan here again if it doesn't get fixed by the engineer lol.

Just one thing. The last engineer who came round did say that he had checked the signal strength (or something like that) but my connection was working at the time. What do I do if the connection is working when the engineer turns up? Any handy hints?

Decimate
07-06-2005, 11:57
Lol, I spoke to the technical support team last night, and got off the phone quite bewildered with the answer I got for my problem...

I was told they didn't know what the problem was and that they would be sending an engineer round to have a look at it, which is fine. But then I get told because my connection has been working sometimes and not other, that if my connection is working when the engineer gets round, then there is nothing they can do! I almost laughed when they told me that.

What I don't understand is how they can expect me to pay for a connection that constantly stops working and for them to possibly not do anything about it.

Any suggestion of what I should do if my connection is working at the time?

Bex
07-06-2005, 12:00
Lol, I spoke to the technical support team last night, and got off the phone quite bewildered with the answer I got for my problem...

I was told they didn't know what the problem was and that they would be sending an engineer round to have a look at it, which is fine. But then I get told because my connection has been working sometimes and not other, that if my connection is working when the engineer gets round, then there is nothing they can do! I almost laughed when they told me that.

What I don't understand is how they can expect me to pay for a connection that constantly stops working and for them to possibly not do anything about it.

is there a certain time of the day that the connection seems to go down?
i know with ours at about 9am and 6pm we lose connection/the connection is painfully slow

Decimate
07-06-2005, 12:02
It has only worked for about an hour (i think) over the last four - five days. The only time I have connected was once at 11:30 PM and 9:00 AM the following morning. It seems quite random.

Paul K
07-06-2005, 12:04

Keep a diary of when it loses connection, what was occuring on the connection at that time, how long it was down and what steps you took to try and re-start the connection (reboot equipment etc). If after the engineer has been out the situation doesn't change contact CS and ask for a supervisor, explain the problem, read them the diary and ask why you are paying for an "always on" connection that is neither always on, consistant or reliable.

Bex
07-06-2005, 12:06
Keep a diary of when it loses connection, what was occuring on the connection at that time, how long it was down and what steps you took to try and re-start the connection (reboot equipment etc). If after the engineer has been out the situation doesn't change contact CS and ask for a supervisor, explain the problem, read them the diary and ask why you are paying for an "always on" connection that is neither always on, consistant or reliable.

that was what i was going to suggest... along with requesting someone come round and the time it normally goes down if that was the case

tarun.sonania
07-06-2005, 14:22
talk to a recent victim of 'troubles' :) thats me.
I kept a log of down times and signal levels whenever i could access the modem web interface. In the end, 5 mins of job and a filter was all it required. And it has been pleasure with 2 Mbps connection. Though i do wonder will i 'really notice' a difference if i went to 3 Mbps ? even now the page loads so quickly.

What do you say guys who have a 3 Mbps or higher ?

Decimate
08-06-2005, 15:51
Oh well I've just had the engineer visit, and guess what... My internet was working at the time, so ther was "nothing he could do"...

Looks like I'm gonna keep having these problems until I get a new internet service provider.

I'd just like to say thanks to everyone for the help I recieved and for posting here.

Chrisfu
09-06-2005, 10:08
I get this problem often during the summer months. My router does not lose it's IP lease, and both the cable modem and router are at reasonable temperatures to the touch. They're both working perfectly fine and normal.

I had the exact same problem last year, only I was so busy with my long shifts at work I was literally too tired to call in and stay on hold for 45 minutes to report it. In the three years since I've lived here the same symptoms have affected the same couple of months, and I think it's time that I nipped this in the bud.

I believe that my problem is down to poor cooling in the particular cab box (green boxes on the inside of the pavement) that I am connected too. I've read many reports of this in the past, and it would not surprise me if there was an influx of such problems reported on the forums from now until early September.

fudge
10-06-2005, 11:18
I have just had someone out because my ready light kept flashing since last tuesday , he checked some numbers on the tv which was flashing from numbers 3 to 4, i did not really under stand what this was but he said it should be a constant 5

He went down to the green box did something and checked the numbers again on tv and it then was a constant 5 and internet now fine. He did say there was a bad connection at the box as well.
But alls working well again.

Zaki
04-07-2005, 22:07
I have had problems with my Broadband connection for over 4 weeks. Mainly in the afternoon it keeps switching off and on as others have experienced. It has been reported several times. Today 3rd July its been doing it nearly all day. I rang broadband faults who informed me that there is a problem with "Outage" (Pass) and has been occuring since the 6th June. They advised me to complain to Cust Services, their answer was if I have a problem I should seek compensation through faults. I explained that I just want a service that is not going to let me down, but I went back to faults who stated they would not send an engineer out as the fault is being fixed, but when!!! My Area is PO9 and the latest fault number I have been given is 1311062. I just want a Broadband that works