PDA

View Full Version : NTL 512k broadband download help

squidder
01-06-2005, 21:18
I've had ntl 512k freedom broadband for about for 10months now and this problem has only recently started. When i attempt to download a file the download speed goes well under 20k a second, weird considering it used to run about 50-60k. Can anyone help me with this plz?

thx

--------------------
Squidder

Paul K
01-06-2005, 21:34
Welcome to the forum :)
Right a few questions..
Where abouts are you in the country,
when did the problem start,
are you connected via stand alone cable modem or set top box,
what operating system do you run,
do you have a firewall or anti-virus installed and finally have you contacted CS about it yet.

squidder
01-06-2005, 21:48
thank you:)
anyway... I live up north in newcastle and the problam only started about 2 days ago (this is when i got my new computer). I am connected via a stand alone cable modem, my os is Windows XP and yes i have Mcafee personal firewall. I haven't contacted anyone else yet as i didnt know wether or not this was a big enough issue. Hope this helps

------------------------
squidder

simbr
01-06-2005, 22:17
are you connected via stand alone cable modem or set top box
If they're on ntl:Freedom it'll be neither, Freedom using the Thompson Speedtouch 330 ADSL modem.

Paul K
01-06-2005, 22:18
So you changed the computer that is connected to the broadband and now the download speed is shot? I take it you are fully patched? Have you run a speed test or are you basing your slow down on file downloads alone?

Hom3r
01-06-2005, 22:27
If you're Macfee firewall is enabled, check if XPs firewall is disabled, it may be affecting speed. (control panel)

Raistlin
01-06-2005, 23:12
I've had ntl 512k freedom broadband for about for 10months now and this problem has only recently started. When i attempt to download a file the download speed goes well under 20k a second, weird considering it used to run about 50-60k. Can anyone help me with this plz?

thx

--------------------
Squidder

How are you downloading?

Are you using any particular software to download these files?

If so, you may find that you've got a port that you need to unblock somewhere ;)