PDA

View Full Version : Bulldog 8Mb

Neil
01-06-2005, 16:38
Our new superfast 8 meg Bulldog broadband eats other broadbands for breakfast. Mind-blowing speed means you can guzzle through full-fat music, movies, games and photo-files. And with no download limit, you can chow down as much as you like, when you like, as fast as you like.

Weââ‚ ¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢re so confident that once youââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢ve tried superfast 8 meg youââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢ll never want to go back, that weââ‚ ¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢re inviting you to try the service for a month, for just £1. And because we know youââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢ll want to keep it †“ weââ‚ ¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢ll give you the freedom of a one-month contract too. Sign up by 15th June 2005 for this offer and weââ‚ ¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢ll even chuck in a modem.

http://www.bulldogbroadband.com/residential/XPNP/NP/index.asp

TheBlueRaja
01-06-2005, 16:45
Man i was looking at this yesterday as i have BT and Zen 2mb AND this is available in my area - BUT - is it worth it.

Zen's support has been brilliant whereas i have heard (some) bad things about Bulldog.

Given that my BT bill is around 15 quid a month and my broadband is 34.99 a month for Zen, this looks like a tasty deal (8 meg Super@ctive @ £52 (after 3 months)) but its still more expensive. (see http://www.bulldogbroadband.com/residential/XPNP/XP/active_comparison.asp)

However - has anybody here actually used Bulldog and would you recommend it?

paulyoung666
01-06-2005, 16:47
try asking zinglebarb about it :erm:

edit :--- its ukonline he is using , sorry :dunce:

TheBlueRaja
01-06-2005, 16:48
Has he posted about it? (Do you know where?)

paulyoung666
01-06-2005, 16:50
not sure , all you need to do is to check out his signature for a clue :erm:

TheBlueRaja
01-06-2005, 16:51
Sounds bad :eek: - i'll hunt him down then...

EDIT: I think your confused mate - he uses UKonline according to his sig. :shrug:

paulyoung666
01-06-2005, 16:52
Sounds bad :eek: - i'll hunt him down then...

dont , my mistake he is using ukonline , sorry :dunce:

TheBlueRaja
01-06-2005, 16:53
lol :D

Stuart
01-06-2005, 17:01
Our new superfast 8 meg Bulldog broadband eats other broadbands for breakfast. Mind-blowing speed means you can guzzle through full-fat music, movies, games and photo-files. And with no download limit, you can chow down as much as you like, when you like, as fast as you like.

Weââ‚ ¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢re so confident that once youââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢ve tried superfast 8 meg youââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢ll never want to go back, that weââ‚ ¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢re inviting you to try the service for a month, for just £1. And because we know youââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢ll want to keep it †“ weââ‚ ¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢ll give you the freedom of a one-month contract too. Sign up by 15th June 2005 for this offer and weââ‚ ¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢ll even chuck in a modem.

http://www.bulldogbroadband.com/residential/XPNP/NP/index.asp

Only available where Bulldog can unbundle your connection.

Hans Gruber
01-06-2005, 22:37

With the exception of basic 512k ADSL all UK broadband connections are limited to where it's available.

Stuart
01-06-2005, 22:45

With the exception of basic 512k ADSL all UK broadband connections are limited to where it's available.

Exactly the point I was making..

TheBlueRaja
01-06-2005, 23:04
Nobodys told me if there any good yet tho...

Stuart
01-06-2005, 23:55
Actually, although I have heard mixed views of Bulldog on this forum (basically, it seeems if you are on one of their unbundled exchanges and don't have to deal with their after sales service then they are good), generally they seem to be good.

zing_deleted
02-06-2005, 00:10
Its all the same its LLU bt lines offering the 8 meg bulldog uses its own equipment ukonline resells for easynet,I have had a total mare cuz of the quality of my line,They dropped my speed to 4 meg and this was still totally unstable at night,I download off ukonline in the day at 6.5 meg and use ntl for my gaming at night

Im sure theres the other side to this and If your close enough to the exchange and have a better line than me and get a good connection

One other thing bulldog do not give you a modem as they do not tie you to a contract ,So you could try it out.I have no idea how easy there are to get mac numbers off to change isp but your only tied to a month

Edit: I am only 2.8 k from the exchange

Neil
02-06-2005, 07:15
One other thing bulldog do not give you a modem as they do not tie you to a contract ,So you could try it out.I have no idea how easy there are to get mac numbers off to change isp but your only tied to a month

Sign up by 15th June 2005 for this offer and weâ₠¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢ll even chuck in a modem.

http://www.bulldogbroadband.com/res...NP/NP/index.asp

orangebird
02-06-2005, 09:12
Man i was looking at this yesterday as i have BT and Zen 2mb AND this is available in my area - BUT - is it worth it.

Zen's support has been brilliant whereas i have heard (some) bad things about Bulldog.

Given that my BT bill is around 15 quid a month and my broadband is 34.99 a month for Zen, this looks like a tasty deal (8 meg Super@ctive @ £52 (after 3 months)) but its still more expensive. (see http://www.bulldogbroadband.com/residential/XPNP/XP/active_comparison.asp)

However - has anybody here actually used Bulldog and would you recommend it?

Some people are happy, some aren't.... but they do have a Hell (http://www.bulldoghell.com/phpBB2/) site though.

ian@huth
02-06-2005, 09:37
Some people are happy, some aren't.... but they do have a Hell (http://www.bulldoghell.com/phpBB2/) site though.That's life OB! You will always find someone eager to complain even if given the world for nothing. :)

orangebird
02-06-2005, 09:42
That's life OB! You will always find someone eager to complain even if given the world for nothing. :)

Indeed.... :cool:

Saltank
02-06-2005, 10:36
I am moving this summer closer into central London and considering I cannot get any real broadband speed with BY for that price of £50 for 8mbit/unlimited calls I am switching to Bulldog. If only telewest had an 8mbit service for £40 :( then we could get Vonage and it would rock :)

zing_deleted
02-06-2005, 11:56
http://www.bulldogbroadband.com/res...NP/NP/index.asp

The gits didnt off that last month when i was looking mind you they didnt offer 8 meg then either

That's life OB! You will always find someone eager to complain even if given the world for nothing. :)

And then you get people to accept to much and do not complain when they should.

My complaints over ukonline and the whole 8 meg thing comes from my experiences,yes there bad but I did also state that im sure some are happy.
Unbundled internet relies even more on the line than normal if your not on the doorstep you can not expect 8 meg,im less than 2 miles away and to get a stable connection bt recommended 2 meg,I said stuff that and accepted 6.5 meg thats stable until about 8-9 pm

altis
02-06-2005, 12:20
Loadsa info, including who is present at each exchange and the services available, from here:

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/index.php

Nidge
24-06-2005, 08:36
Phoned them up yesterday :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: Got it all sorted for 4-5 weeks, lets get off this NTL service, got the 8meg + phone for £51.00 per month, the same on NTL is nearly £70 per month, not a bad saving there.

Neil
24-06-2005, 08:37
Phoned them up yesterday :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: Got it all sorted for 4-5 weeks, lets get off this NTL service, got the 8meg + phone for £51.00 per month, the same on NTL is nearly £70 per month.

Except that you can't get 8Mb BB from ntl. ;)

Nidge
24-06-2005, 08:42
I'll give it a try, you get the first month free then it's £12.99 for the first month then £24.99 for 6 months then it's £51.00 thereafter

Neil
24-06-2005, 08:45
I'll give it a try, you get the first month free then it's £12.99 for the first month then £24.99 for 6 months then it's £51.00 thereafter

Yep-as you say, you've got nothing to lose. :tu:

TheBlueRaja
24-06-2005, 09:03

Please come back and let us know what its like though as im concidering it myself.

Nidge
24-06-2005, 09:25
Please come back and let us know what its like though as im concidering it myself.

A mate of mine has it and he reckons it rocks, like me he used to be on NTL he's been on Bulldog now for a few weeks no problems whatsoever, he says all the ech support is in the UK no overseas all centers, he asked them if they had any plans to relocate overseas? "They said no" I'll let you all know how I get on.

orangebird
24-06-2005, 09:36
Phoned them up yesterday :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: Got it all sorted for 4-5 weeks, lets get off this NTL service, got the 8meg + phone for £51.00 per month, the same on NTL is nearly £70 per month, not a bad saving there.

:confused: but ntl don't do 8meg. And even the highest tier of bb plus phone at ntl comes no-where near £70... :erm: What did you use in your comparisons?

Nidge
24-06-2005, 09:55
:confused: but ntl don't do 8meg. And even the highest tier of bb plus phone at ntl comes no-where near £70... :erm: What did you use in your comparisons?

I've got the 8meg + the phone for £51.00 per month free for the first month then £10 for the next month then £24,99 for 6 months then £51.00 thereafter, 3meg on NTL + phone was £70+.

orangebird
24-06-2005, 10:07
I've got the 8meg + the phone for £51.00 per month free for the first month then £10 for the next month then £24,99 for 6 months then £51.00 thereafter, 3meg on NTL + phone was £70+.

I'm still a bit :confused: 3meg and phone at ntl is not £70+ a month....

Nidge
24-06-2005, 10:18

Mine used to be, sometimes it used to be over £70 in the £90's

ian@huth
24-06-2005, 10:28

I've got the 8meg + the phone for £51.00 per month free for the first month then £10 for the next month then £24,99 for 6 months then £51.00 thereafter, 3meg on NTL + phone was £70+.If it cost over £70 with NTL for broadband and phone then that would include telephone call charges. I presume that the Bulldog charges that you quote do not include any call charges.

orangebird
24-06-2005, 10:40

So the £70 you're quoting includes your call charges. Well, unless the £51 your quoting for Bulldog includes a tele package which would include all your calls, your comparison is null and void.

ian@huth
24-06-2005, 10:42

So the £70 you're quoting includes your call charges. Well, unless the £51 your quoting for Bulldog includes a tele package which would include all your calls, your comparison is null and void.I don't know of any tele package that includes all your calls. They all seem to just cover calls to geographic numbers starting 01 and 02.

zing_deleted
24-06-2005, 10:48

I think his maths may be mixed up ;) ntl 3 meg 37.99 plus inclusive 24/7 call package 25 so its nearly 63 quid ,Bulldog do take your phone and do offer a 24/7 package,first 6 months I think is 29.99 for unlimited call package and 4 meg bb going upto 39.99 so I would imagine he is referring to 8 meg and 24/7 unlimited call package for 51 quid.
There is no question that LLU services offer a vastly more price competitive solution than anyone else NTL ,Telewest, BT, etc
My experience with the net is bad Im on LLU with ukonline and the service sucks,but for low users say browsers on 512 ukonline offer bb for 9.99 can't be beat afaik

Chrysalis
24-06-2005, 16:58
Usual situation.

LLU > BT/NTL but only available in parts of country.

Easynews have expanded moderatly I think, but Bulldog seem scared to come out their M25 cage.

bhoywonder1967
24-06-2005, 17:14
... but Bulldog seem scared to come out their M25 cage.

Go the Bulldog website and try postcode: G73 4QD ,postcode check not working but atm, but a Glasgow number connected to the CROFTFOOT exchange (literally right across the road from our flat!!:D) gives all the package options.

Quite a distance from the M25 :)

This (http://www.bulldogbroadband.com/support/locations.asp) page may also be useful.

BW1967

Chrysalis
25-06-2005, 04:01
Ahh quite a nice expansion.

Went on website and these guys need a postcode checker, they not gonna get cable customers if they require a BT line to check availability. You said its broken but I dont even see a link to a postcode checker.

Neil
25-06-2005, 06:55
Went on website and these guys need a postcode checker, they not gonna get cable customers if they require a BT line to check availability. You said its broken but I dont even see a link to a postcode checker.

https://secure.bulldogbroadband.com/bulldogshoppingcart/checknumber.aspx?searchtype=telno

zing_deleted
25-06-2005, 09:00

Easynews have expanded moderatly I think, but Bulldog seem scared to come out their M25 cage.

Now we know where you get your binaries :D Easynet I think you mean,I believe all exchanges unbundled available through easynet resellers are also Bulldog enabled

Nidge
25-06-2005, 09:42
I think his maths may be mixed up ;) ntl 3 meg 37.99 plus inclusive 24/7 call package 25 so its nearly 63 quid ,Bulldog do take your phone and do offer a 24/7 package,first 6 months I think is 29.99 for unlimited call package and 4 meg bb going upto 39.99 so I would imagine he is referring to 8 meg and 24/7 unlimited call package for 51 quid.
There is no question that LLU services offer a vastly more price competitive solution than anyone else NTL ,Telewest, BT, etc
My experience with the net is bad Im on LLU with ukonline and the service sucks,but for low users say browsers on 512 ukonline offer bb for 9.99 can't be beat afaik

After a 19 hour shift I'm allowed to get my maths mixed up a little.

Chrysalis
25-06-2005, 10:00
https://secure.bulldogbroadband.com/bulldogshoppingcart/checknumber.aspx?searchtype=telno

Neil it asks for BT phone number not postcode.

Now we know where you get your binaries :D Easynet I think you mean,I believe all exchanges unbundled available through easynet resellers are also Bulldog enabled

Umm yeah I have downloaded some binaries of easynews good quality service :) but thanks for correcting my mistake.

Neil
25-06-2005, 10:07
Neil it asks for BT phone number not postcode.

No-it gives you the option to say "No I don't have a BT phone", & proceed from there.

Chrysalis
25-06-2005, 10:19
I already tired that it looped me back to the asking for number, so I guess now its because I am blocking the cookies. ok thanks.

Neil
25-06-2005, 10:27
I already tired that it looped me back to the asking for number, so I guess now its because I am blocking the cookies. ok thanks.

You're welcome. ;)

Chrysalis
25-06-2005, 10:33
LLU available on my street, interesting. Bulldog on some loss leader there 1st month free next 5 months under £18 then full price 6 months after.

Nidge
26-06-2005, 11:03
LLU available on my street, interesting. Bulldog on some loss leader there 1st month free next 5 months under £18 then full price 6 months after.

You never know till you've tried it, that's why I'm giving it a go.

Neil
26-06-2005, 14:57

So, after all your issues/complaints re ntl-have you/are you now going to sign up with Bulldog (now that you have an alternative that you never thought you did had)?

Chrysalis
26-06-2005, 15:59
Neil no I am not because I would have some serious issues with my landlord if I did.

Neil
26-06-2005, 16:14
Neil no I am not because I would have some serious issues with my landlord if I did.

Like what?

Surely the property has had a BT socket at some point?

If so, all that needs to happen is for BT to reconnect it (for free) at their end (they may have to send an engineer round)

What possible issues could you landlord have with that? :shrug:

Ignition
26-06-2005, 17:55
Unless physical disconnection has been done in cabinet, for example for someone else to use your pair you should be alright.

However you won't be able to just get BT to reconnect then go straight onto BD as you are tied to a brief contract with BT, 3 months or so I think.

Saying that though with the Bulldog special offers, cheap calls and of course the uncapped 8Mbit it's a no brainer if you aren't / haven't been happy with ntl I'd have thought!

etccarmageddon
26-06-2005, 18:32
However you won't be able to just get BT to reconnect then go straight onto BD as you are tied to a brief contract with BT, 3 months or so I think.Correct, if you reconnect to BT it's a 3 month contract.

Neil
26-06-2005, 18:49
Correct, if you reconnect to BT it's a 3 month contract.

So you get the BT line reconnected, & let it sit dormant for 3 months while continuing to use ntl BB, then ring Bulldog & get it transferred. :shrug:

Or, you get the BT line & get normal 2Meg from Bulldog, then upgrade to 8Mb once the 3 months is up.

Either way-it's a no brainer.

Ignition
26-06-2005, 19:09
Or you just get Bulldog to have BT reconnect the line, £60 I think, then you're away :)

Neil
26-06-2005, 19:56
Or you just get Bulldog to have BT reconnect the line, £60 I think, then you're away :)

Good point-the £60.00 will pretty much be recouped byt the free month that BD are offering anyway. :tu:

Come on Chrysalis-what on earth are you waiting for?

Chrysalis
27-06-2005, 06:45
Like what?

Surely the property has had a BT socket at some point?

If so, all that needs to happen is for BT to reconnect it (for free) at their end (they may have to send an engineer round)

What possible issues could you landlord have with that? :shrug:

I live in a small flat it has ntl sockets's fitted by the landlord and no old BT sockets, my tenancy agreement has included that I cannot have the telecom company changed if it involves new sockets, my tenancy is up for renewal this august so I may try to negotiate on this but if I get nowhere and dont move then I am stuck in the same bangles. Trust me if it was ok with my landlord I would have changed a long time ago.

It may be surprising but its more common then you think for rented accomodation to have these restrictions, my sister's is the same she rents a house but landlord wouldnt allow her to have a BT line fitted.

Neil
27-06-2005, 08:00
I live in a small flat it has ntl sockets's fitted by the landlord and no old BT sockets, my tenancy agreement has included that I cannot have the telecom company changed if it involves new sockets, my tenancy is up for renewal this august so I may try to negotiate on this but if I get nowhere and dont move then I am stuck in the same bangles. Trust me if it was ok with my landlord I would have changed a long time ago.

It may be surprising but its more common then you think for rented accomodation to have these restrictions, my sister's is the same she rents a house but landlord wouldnt allow her to have a BT line fitted.

Have you actually spoken to BT to see if they have a record of your flat ever having had BT sockets?

It wouldn't be the first time ntl had 'modified' or 'used' the old BT sockets & put their own covers on them.

If BT say that your property has had BT at some stage (& I can't believe that there are many properties that haven't), then you are sorted.

orangebird
27-06-2005, 12:20
Have you actually spoken to BT to see if they have a record of your flat ever having had BT sockets?

It wouldn't be the first time ntl had 'modified' or 'used' the old BT sockets & put their own covers on them.

Go careful Neil - what you're accusing ntl of is illegal - unless you have proof, you shouldn't post things like that. :nono:

Neil
27-06-2005, 17:10
Go careful Neil - what you're accusing ntl of is illegal - unless you have proof, you shouldn't post things like that. :nono:

I watched them do it when they 'installed' my phone sockets.

Chrysalis
27-06-2005, 17:15
Its worth a shot I will give them a ring and see what they say.

mrlipring
27-06-2005, 17:41
I watched them do it when they 'installed' my phone sockets.

I think that counts as proof. :D

Chrysalis
03-07-2005, 22:37
BT said no previous line in my flat but said there are lines fitted in other flats at the same propertly so the landlord may have approved it for one of my neighbour's unless they got it done anyway. Looking at things tho, It is mainly the TV service I have problems with as its digital tv I want, the bulldog savings for broadband are nice but I probably dont want the hassle of changing to them just to save a small amount of money. I will have a long think about it and see if I want a complete move.

Stuartbe
03-07-2005, 23:08
Been on bulldog at the shop for 5 days now. on the pro-active business connection....

When it wants to go its fantastic 850k+ a sec... Sometimes though it slows down a bit 300k+ but thats the lowest its got. Uploading at 512k atm :)

+ all call free - Its not bad at all..... Shame it does not offer a reverse dns entry though :(

To early to say if I would personaly recomend it or not... Will keep you posted but looks good so far :)

Nidge
04-07-2005, 04:43
Been on bulldog at the shop for 5 days now. on the pro-active business connection....

When it wants to go its fantastic 850k+ a sec... Sometimes though it slows down a bit 300k+ but thats the lowest its got. Uploading at 512k atm :)

+ all call free - Its not bad at all..... Shame it does not offer a reverse dns entry though :(

To early to say if I would personaly recomend it or not... Will keep you posted but looks good so far :)

Hi Stuart, mines being installed next week looks like you've got some good speeds going there.

DonFluffy
26-07-2005, 22:04
Only 1km from exchane, so hae grear dl speed, but customer service is poor... very poor

Gareth
28-07-2005, 20:24
Go careful Neil - what you're accusing ntl of is illegal - unless you have proof, you shouldn't post things like that. :nono:I watched them do it when they 'installed' my phone sockets.Heh, must've been the same engineers that 'installed' mine. BT were none-too-impressed when I switched back to them and explained that NTL had fiddled with the BT junction box to install NTL's phone line. Had to get BT engineer round to fix it, and he didn't appreciate it much either.

porter
25-08-2005, 22:36
So far got to say :

BENEFITS
8mb really works fine. No issues in this area(bristol). What can i not see as a benefit when you get the wireless router for free - new BT line for £1, first month free, free local and national calls? all for £29.99? ? and a contract you can cancel month by month.

DOWNSIDE
Tech support is crap - Waiting in queues for 15/20mins aint fun(Telewest at least answer when you call them).

Funny thing is Telewest were trying to keep me by selling me their 10mb service which the existing 2mb/4mb customers will get at the same £35. Is not even available yet...so might be tempted to go back if they sort their crap out.

Noticed "Be" ISP is offering 24mb BB - Search....its true....