PDA

View Full Version : What is going on with my modem

ikthius
31-05-2005, 21:26
To give you the best info, I took these questions from ignition.

What, specifically, is your issue?
a) Is there a specific time that this issue is most prevalent?
b) How long has this issue been going on? (days, weeks, months etc)
I had my home network, see attached image, working for about a month, then after I had to reformat my hard disk and do a clean install on sunday after my computer just refused to budge on anything, I lost my connection.

I tried to install with just my computer with the USB but to no avail. eventuall after trying pings/checking the network connections in TCP/IP properties and so on, I had to uninstall the modem, and reinstall. after some help from techincal support.

I turned my computer off a few hours ago, then booted it up, and low and behold, my modem did not work, tried everything even to uninstalling to reinstalling, power off the modem, and so forth, it did not work until again I had to call technical support.

I was told I now have to put the modem off everytime I put the computer off!? I was told to keep it on by NTL ages ago, not to turn it off.

2) Do you have cable TV? If so, is there any reception degradation?
yes I have digi tv, but no loss of reception, but it is just my modem I am interested in.

3) Have you contacted customer support about this problem? If so, what did they say?
yes, I have to turn off my modem everytime I turn off my pc!? why? I was told the opposite from NTL when I first got broadband.
I had to uninstall my modem then reinstall it, and do some ipconfigs to get the right IP address.

4) What troubleshooting steps have you taken to resolve this problem? (aka: if you haven't tried to help yourself, why should *we* help you?)
As I said, I have tried to make the internet before I see the router, by using the USB on my machine without a router, had probs tried pings, properties of TCP/IP of the network connection for the internet to obtain the IP address itself, nothing

5 Who you are and what you have
a) Where in the country are you?
Glasgow

b) What is your operating system?
XP Home SP2 clean install as of sunday

c) What is your home network setup? Provide details.
see attached image

d) If you have more than one computer, is the problem occuring on all other machines?
well I cxan hardly see the internet, and teh other computer definitely does not see it, but can do if all firewalls are off, I will explain later.

e) Are you running a firewall of any sort? Have you ever installed one? Did you try to turn it off during troubleshooting?
Zonealarm free, on both, but had no probs up until sun, then the trouble began. I have turned it off on both machines. to help

f) Please supply a traceroute from you to www.bbc.co.uk (http://www.bbc.co.uk/) in text format
I have given a screen shot.

6) Further Info: If you're posting about:
a) Connectivity issues: Please post a line test (http://www.broadbandreports.com/linequality)
Not signed up, and don't know what it is
b) Speed issues: Please post at least one speed test which tests speed in both directions.
Not an issue at the moment
c) For latency issues please post traceroutes and pings to some major sites in the UK. www.bbc.co.uk (http://www.bbc.co.uk/), www.nildram.net (http://www.nildram.net/), etc
Don't know what latency is

well I can now connect to the internet, but only on this computer.
I cannot get my router to even see the net or I cannot get into the routers web setup, to configure my router.
I can no longer have the other computer on a network, as the network will just not work, either trhough the router or from one comp to the other comp, with a direct link through an ethernet card.
I tried to use the setup wizard about 10 times, and it still does not work, nothing else I can do.

so how can I get all of this sorted?

a very upset/frustrated& tired
ik

p.s. images 1 = network I want; 2 = network I have tried as well; 3 = tracerout

jaycee
31-05-2005, 22:48
If you have a linksys router, why on earth are you trying to use Windows Internet Connection Sharing? Stick with the router, if the router doesn't seem to be working try doing a reset on the router and start from scratch as per the instructions for it.

From the screenshot showing traceroute, your actual connection is fine. Oh, and ditch ZoneAlarm. That program causes more trouble than it's worth, especially on XP SP2 where there is an adequate firewall built in already.

I have found however that Windows XP's Internet Sharing setup wizard has never ever worked for me. What IP does PC #2 have ? Is it set to "Automatically Configure" ? You may need to manually assign this as 192.168.0.2, gateway 192.168.0.1, primary DNS 194.168.4.100, secondary DNS 194.168.8.100. On PC #1, the Ethernet adapter should have an option in it's settings like "Share this PC's internet connection" and then a list of adapters in a dropdown box which allows you to choose which adapter has the external internet connection. This dropdown should be set to the Modem's USB connection.

You also want to set up the XP Firewall so it is enabled on the Modem's USB connection, but not on your ethernet connection. Open Windows Firewall from control panel, click the Advanced tab, and make sure the connection that is your Ethernet connection is unticked, and the one that is your Modem is ticked. Also make sure the firewall on PC #2 is disabled totally, it is unneccesary as PC #1 will be doing all the firewall work.

Raistlin
31-05-2005, 22:53
Oh, and ditch ZoneAlarm. That program causes more trouble than it's worth, especially on XP SP2 where there is an adequate firewall built in already.

Ummm.....

Aside from the fact that the XP built in Firewall only blocks traffic in one direction (inbound) and that the router's firewall only blocks traffic in one direction (inbound), thereby leaving you with no gaurd against unauthorised outbound connection attemps, I would agree about ZA being more trouble than it is worth.

jaycee
31-05-2005, 23:04
Ummm.....

Aside from the fact that the XP built in Firewall only blocks traffic in one direction (inbound) and that the router's firewall only blocks traffic in one direction (inbound), thereby leaving you with no gaurd against unauthorised outbound connection attemps, I would agree about ZA being more trouble than it is worth.
Inbound is probably the most important thing though. It protects you from any trojans or backdoors, as well as exploits in MS networking stuff you don't have control over (such as NetBIOS). Outbound blocking in the hands of someone who doesn't really understand how things work just causes hassle and increased reports of connection problems that are the customers PC's fault.

Raistlin
31-05-2005, 23:07
Inbound is probably the most important thing though. It protects you from any trojans or backdoors, as well as exploits in MS networking stuff you don't have control over (such as NetBIOS). Outbound blocking in the hands of someone who doesn't really understand how things work just causes hassle and increased reports of connection problems that are the customers PC's fault.

What inbound doesn't protet you from are the little nasties that you sometimes pick up from other software that you've installed (spyware, malware and the like). It doesn't protect you from apps that have installed as the result of a website that you have visited. It doesn't protect you from outbound connection attempts being made by a virus that you have got from an email/disc/disk etc.

jaycee
31-05-2005, 23:10
What inbound doesn't protet you from are the little nasties that you sometimes pick up from other software that you've installed (spyware, malware and the like). It doesn't protect you from apps that have installed as the result of a website that you have visited. It doesn't protect you from outbound connection attempts being made by a virus that you have got from an email/disc/disk etc.
In my opinion, these things should not be prevented by a firewall, but prevented by a good antivirus program and spyware program. There is really no excuse for not having these installed now since as AVG is free and Spybot S&D is free.

Raistlin
31-05-2005, 23:18
Ok, we're drifting off topic here but.....

AVG will supply always on protection.

Most of the Spyware detection programs that you can get won't they are passive, relying on the user to run a scan of their machine to detect the little blighters.

Obviously it's impractical to scan your machines in this way every day so what do you do? Scan weekly? Scan monthly? Probably yes.....

What happens in between those scans if you get something nasty? How do you know? My first line of defence is my firewall, the second anything that shouldn't attempts to create an outbound connection I will know about it.

Chris W
31-05-2005, 23:28
Back on topic now....

If you connect the router to one pc, and make sure that pc is obtaining it's configuration settings automatically. You should then find that the router will give the pc the ip 192.168.1.100 . If it gets this, you should be able to log on to the config page (192.168.1.1). the only thing that may stop you is having a proxy server specified, but removing this will let you in :)

Once you are in there, reboot the modem and connect to the WAN port of the router, and check on the router config that it gets a full public ip.

If so, then you are ready to connect pc2. Note first, that the cable that you currently have between pc1 and pc2 will not be suitable as this is a x-over cable and you need a straight cable between the router and pc2. Connect up, and you should be all sorted.

If this fails, post back and let us know where abouts it is going wrong :)

MB

ikthius
01-06-2005, 07:45
If you have a linksys router, why on earth are you trying to use Windows Internet Connection Sharing? Stick with the router, if the router doesn't seem to be working try doing a reset on the router and start from scratch as per the instructions for it.

From the screenshot showing traceroute, your actual connection is fine. Oh, and ditch ZoneAlarm. That program causes more trouble than it's worth, especially on XP SP2 where there is an adequate firewall built in already.

I have found however that Windows XP's Internet Sharing setup wizard has never ever worked for me. What IP does PC #2 have ? Is it set to "Automatically Configure" ? You may need to manually assign this as 192.168.0.2, gateway 192.168.0.1, primary DNS 194.168.4.100, secondary DNS 194.168.8.100. On PC #1, the Ethernet adapter should have an option in it's settings like "Share this PC's internet connection" and then a list of adapters in a dropdown box which allows you to choose which adapter has the external internet connection. This dropdown should be set to the Modem's USB connection.

You also want to set up the XP Firewall so it is enabled on the Modem's USB connection, but not on your ethernet connection. Open Windows Firewall from control panel, click the Advanced tab, and make sure the connection that is your Ethernet connection is unticked, and the one that is your Modem is ticked. Also make sure the firewall on PC #2 is disabled totally, it is unneccesary as PC #1 will be doing all the firewall work.
Well I am trying to use the internet connection sharing cause I CANNOT get the router to work. I cannot even get into the 192.168.1.1 configuration page, it just does not work. Even if I do reset the router or modem or computer, nothing is working, although the lights are working

The traceroute, is fine there because I done this after the second time I called technical support, and following all the questions to give as much info, so no wonder it looks fine. but if I keep my modem connection on, and turn off my computer, I lose internet connection.

I have never had a problem with ZA, if nothing is working, I take this off for testing purposes, but still no joy, so it is not ZA.

Back on topic now....

If you connect the router to one pc, and make sure that pc is obtaining it's configuration settings automatically. You should then find that the router will give the pc the ip 192.168.1.100 . If it gets this, you should be able to log on to the config page (192.168.1.1). the only thing that may stop you is having a proxy server specified, but removing this will let you in :)

Once you are in there, reboot the modem and connect to the WAN port of the router, and check on the router config that it gets a full public ip.

If so, then you are ready to connect pc2. Note first, that the cable that you currently have between pc1 and pc2 will not be suitable as this is a x-over cable and you need a straight cable between the router and pc2. Connect up, and you should be all sorted.

If this fails, post back and let us know where abouts it is going wrong :)

MB

No proxies set for the computer.
how do I connect to the wan port, is that in the routers web configuration page that I cannot get to?

I will try it all again, and see what is happening, it may take me another age to get teh modem back up and running

ik

EDIT: Ok, I put my computer, modem & router off, then put the ethernet cable into my modem, put in only my computers ethernet cable in to the router with the modems ethernet cable in the router as well.

rebooted, then I had no connection to the internet. I tried 192.168.1.1 & http://192.168.1.1 both "The connection was refused when attempting to contact 192.168.1.1".

I told my ethernet card and the modem, to obtain their own IP addresses, instead of me assigning them, and still nothing.

I have had to resort back to this PC connected with the USB cable. so that I can leave a post here.

Did I metion, that I had to format my disk at the weekend, and that this is a clean install of XP Home SP2?

jonbr
01-06-2005, 08:29
Turning off the computer will not have any effect on the modem, especially as you have router in between. Do you leave the router on? If yes this points to a problem on the PC or with the PC to router connection.

Try going back to basics as follows:
Turn off every thing and disconnect every thing.
Connect the PC to the router via ethernet cable.
Power on the PC.

If you run an "ipconfig /all" you should see that your ethernet connect has been given an IP address (make sure it's not the default one assigned by Windows if it cannot get an IP address from some where else), assuming Windows is configured to get an IP address from a DHCP server (in this case the router).

It you don't see an IP, make sure the PC is configered to get an IP address via DHCP and try again. If it still doesn't get one, it would seem to be a problem with the router and a factory reset may be required - see the manual for details.

Once you get the PC getting an IP address from the router you should be able to go to the routers web interface to configure it and get a connection after that.....

jaycee
01-06-2005, 08:31
By reset the router, I don't mean a power off/power on - i mean restoring factory settings by pushing the Reset button on the back of the router for 10 seconds. If that doesn't work, send your router back to Linksys as it is faulty.

The fact that you re-installed XP will have nothing to do with the router not working. The correct NIC setting for this however is to leave it at "Automatically Configure" - the router will assign your computers an address itself (DHCP). Also check that Internet Explorer or whatever you use to browse the web has no proxies set (which it shouldnt do if you've just clean installed). Disable all firewalls on your PC to try this. Check that your PC has recieved a 192.168.1.100 address by opening Command Prompt and typing "ipconfig /all". If it has not, try an "ipconfig /renew"

Before you go about getting the cablemodem to work with the router, get the router talking to the PC's. Once you have the router working and assigning IP's to your PC's, you can go from there. From there it's a simple matter of powering off the cablemodem, plugging it into the router, and powering on. Then power off/power on the router and it should work.

I read that you cannot connect to the internet if you reboot/power off your computer without doing the same on the modem? This shouldn't happen, you may want to try getting the latest USB modem drivers from http://www.ambitbroadband.com/usbdriver2.1.zip

ikthius
01-06-2005, 10:02
Turning off the computer will not have any effect on the modem, especially as you have router in between. Do you leave the router on? If yes this points to a problem on the PC or with the PC to router connection.

Try going back to basics as follows:
Turn off every thing and disconnect every thing.
Connect the PC to the router via ethernet cable.
Power on the PC.

If you run an "ipconfig /all" you should see that your ethernet connect has been given an IP address (make sure it's not the default one assigned by Windows if it cannot get an IP address from some where else), assuming Windows is configured to get an IP address from a DHCP server (in this case the router).

It you don't see an IP, make sure the PC is configered to get an IP address via DHCP and try again. If it still doesn't get one, it would seem to be a problem with the router and a factory reset may be required - see the manual for details.

Once you get the PC getting an IP address from the router you should be able to go to the routers web interface to configure it and get a connection after that.....

ok I checked but still cannot get the router, even after factory settings reset button has been pressed.

By reset the router, I don't mean a power off/power on - i mean restoring factory settings by pushing the Reset button on the back of the router for 10 seconds. If that doesn't work, send your router back to Linksys as it is faulty.

The fact that you re-installed XP will have nothing to do with the router not working. The correct NIC setting for this however is to leave it at "Automatically Configure" - the router will assign your computers an address itself (DHCP). Also check that Internet Explorer or whatever you use to browse the web has no proxies set (which it shouldnt do if you've just clean installed). Disable all firewalls on your PC to try this. Check that your PC has recieved a 192.168.1.100 address by opening Command Prompt and typing "ipconfig /all". If it has not, try an "ipconfig /renew"

Before you go about getting the cablemodem to work with the router, get the router talking to the PC's. Once you have the router working and assigning IP's to your PC's, you can go from there. From there it's a simple matter of powering off the cablemodem, plugging it into the router, and powering on. Then power off/power on the router and it should work.

I read that you cannot connect to the internet if you reboot/power off your computer without doing the same on the modem? This shouldn't happen, you may want to try getting the latest USB modem drivers from http://www.ambitbroadband.com/usbdriver2.1.zip

Connected the ethernet cable to the router and checked ipconfig /all
see attached image, then I tried renew, see same image.

I do not have the required IP address and I cannot renew my ip address.

I tried this without the modem as well, but no joy.

I tried to use the 192.168.1.1 but again was refused.

I also tried this after a reset of the router, does this mean the router is gubbed?

check the images. after the second one, I clicked firefox and it gave me the web, so I tried another ipconfig and it changed the dable modems ip address.

ik

jaycee
01-06-2005, 10:19
If your router is not assigning you an IP even after a factory reset, then yes it's knackered. I would suggest trying a firmware update but if you can't get to the configuration page, you can't do a firmware update. The 169.254 ip is Windows itself assigning an IP to the network card because it can't get one from the router.

The 192.168.100.3 IP you got at stage 2 (on Local Area Connection
#2 - presumably this is the Cablemodem via USB) is just the IP that the cablemodem assigns when it can't get an IP from NTL - typically you see this before the SYNC and RDY lights become stable. If you wait a short while, do an ipconfig /renew, or click the "Repair" option on the Local Area Connection #2 network, you should get a regular IP.

EDIT: Just had a thought. If you hook up the modem via Ethernet, does that work ? Or do you get a 169.254 IP also with the modem connected ?

ikthius
01-06-2005, 10:23
If your router is not assigning you an IP even after a factory reset, then yes it's knackered. I would suggest trying a firmware update but if you can't get to the configuration page, you can't do a firmware update. The 169.254 ip is Windows itself assigning an IP to the network card because it can't get one from the router.

The 192.168.100.3 IP you got at stage 2 (on Local Area Connection
#2 - presumably this is the Cablemodem via USB) is just the IP that the cablemodem assigns when it can't get an IP from NTL - typically you see this before the SYNC and RDY lights become stable. If you wait a short while, do an ipconfig /renew, or click the "Repair" option on the Local Area Connection #2 network, you should get a regular IP.

EDIT: Just had a thought. If you hook up the modem via Ethernet, does that work ? Or do you get a 169.254 IP also with the modem connected ?

i will check the direct ethernet connection to the modem

ik

EDIT: I can now connect to the internet now with a direct connection from ethernet card to cable modem, first time since fresh install.

jaycee
01-06-2005, 10:37
Right. I wanted to eliminate the possibility that the onboard NIC was playing up. I have heard a few bad things about the nVidia nForce onboard NIC and reliability, but if you can get connected to the modem via it, then it should be OK.

It's odd that your router is goosed if all you've done is re-install though. Have you tried connecting it to PC #2 and trying it there?

ikthius
01-06-2005, 10:43
that will be my next shot

ik

EDIT: On the other computer, with attaching the ethernet cable to the router, I get a problem.

ip address: 169.254.202.140
subnet mask: 255.255.0.0

I take it that means the router is gubbed.

ik

jaycee
01-06-2005, 11:30
Yes, it does. It's not issuing IP's via DHCP, and if you've done the factory reset, this is what it should be doing, so it's hosed. I would say try a different port on the router, a different cable etc, but I doubt that's the issue and I'm sure you've tried it.

ikthius
01-06-2005, 11:43
I sent an email question to the technical support at Linksys, and explained my problem fully, with all details not being missed, hoepfully I get an answer back soon.

thanks for your help, greeny on the way.

ik

jonbr
02-06-2005, 21:12
Are you using port one on the router? After a factory reset you usually can only use port one, on the router, to establish a connection to the admin web page?

ikthius
02-06-2005, 22:29
Are you using port one on the router? After a factory reset you usually can only use port one, on the router, to establish a connection to the admin web page?

so how do I get through to it?

ports mean nothing to me at this moment in time.

I still cannot get through to it, I tried a factory HARD reset from linksys, and I still cannot contact my router.

ik

jonbr
04-06-2005, 11:53
On the back of your router, if it is a wired router (you use an ethernet cable to connect to your PC) you will see 4 sockets. Make sure the ethernet cable is connected to port number one on the router.

Most routers, after a factory reset, will only allow you connect if you are connected via the first ethernet port. If you cannot connect via port one, it has more than likely died.:(