PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Linksys BEFSR41 router

Alan E
31-05-2005, 21:38
When I try to connect to the internet using the above router I can't connect. I can connect OK if I don't use the router.

Also I can't connect to the router setup page to modify any settings.

I have tried powering down & back up again.

Any help would be appreciated.

Alan.

bobna
31-05-2005, 21:44
192.168.1.1 (http://192.168.1.1/) click this and use username admin : pass admin

this should take you to your routers setting's page, where it say's wan connection type, set it to obtain ip automatically.

then at the top of the page click on the status tab, if there's no public ip address in the wan part or if it just say's 0.0.0.0 unplug the modem and wait until it fully reboot's then get a small object small enough to fit in the reset hole on the front of the router, push it for about 5sec's and log back into the router,
check the status page of the router to see if you have a public address
should work after this, if not i don't know what to suggest

Alan E
31-05-2005, 21:50
192.168.1.1 (http://192.168.1.1/) click this and use username admin : pass admin

this should take you to your routers setting's page, read the manual on how to set it up

I have tried this, all I get is page unavailable.

bobna
31-05-2005, 21:52
try clicking that because if i try typing the routers address in i get the same page unavailable too, (same router)

btw where in hudds are u

Alan E
31-05-2005, 22:05
try clicking that because if i try typing the routers address in i get the same page unavailable too, (same router)

btw where in hudds are u

I tried the link & it didn't work. Also the Diag light will sometimes stay on. It also will not reset to the factory settings. It sounds like it has died & a new one is needed.

I live @ the top end of Lindley BTW.

Alan.

bobna
31-05-2005, 22:12
sound's like it is dying,

just asking about hudds, live in rawthorpe myself

mmm
31-05-2005, 23:46
I tried the link & it didn't work. Also the Diag light will sometimes stay on. It also will not reset to the factory settings. It sounds like it has died & a new one is needed.

Alan.

To do a hard reset you need to hold in the reset button in for 30 seconds. I believe it is possible to reload the firmware if that is corrupt using TFTP and special IP addresses/ boot sequence, never done it though...

bobna
06-06-2005, 01:25
also another thing you could try, update the firmware for the router

http://www.linksys.com/download/firmware.asp?fwid=183

not updated mine though as i've had no troubles with my router

JohnHorb
06-06-2005, 08:50
Another thing to check - if you are using a PACE STB, and are using the cable which was between the STB and PC to connect the PC to the router, it MAY be a cross-over cable. IF this is the case, use the original cable between the STB and router and a new (straight-through) cable between the router and PC. Also, make sure you connect the WAN port of the router to the STB/modem and a LAN port to the PC.

Alan E
08-06-2005, 21:28
I have fixed the router.

Solution:-

1. Throw old router in bin.
2. Buy shiny new D-Link DI-604.
3. Plug in cables, no setting required, works a treat.

Alan.