PDA

View Full Version : can i get broadband through a phone line

caroline
31-05-2005, 12:11
Hi

I have just gone from the 3mb to the 2mb after having so much problem with signal noise ratio on my line [STILL] and at the moment everthing is working ok , speed, uploads etc are fine has anyone elce found this ? the only thing is i really want the 3mb connection could i have the 3mb through a phone line [i also have my phone with ntl] to my pc as maybe this would sort the issue of noise being on my cable line , i would really like to stay with ntl but after 3 weeks it seems unlikely i will unless i can get this through my phone line.

ian@huth
31-05-2005, 12:16
You can't get broadband through a NTL phone line.

caroline
31-05-2005, 12:19
:(You can't get broadband through a NTL phone line.

Chris W
31-05-2005, 12:23
You also can't get 3meg through a BT line unless you live somewhere where there is a LLU exchange

Paul
31-05-2005, 12:48
Is there some particular reason you need 3mb ?

caroline
31-05-2005, 12:52
My internet just went again:( so it doesnt seem to matter what connection im on, as for the speed , the reason why i want a 3mb [or higher] is so that it downloads faster.

Paul K
31-05-2005, 12:55
My internet just went again:( so it doesnt seem to matter what connection im on, as for the speed , the reason why i want a 3mb [or higher] is so that it downloads faster.
Maybe you should ask one of our nice, helpful, NTL staff members to have a look at your connection as they are very good at finding problems that other CS staff miss ;)

Paul
31-05-2005, 12:59
It's been looked at a number of times ;) as I recall it's awaiting local maintenance.

caroline
31-05-2005, 13:02
Hi

a very kind engineer did look for me and escalated the problem but as i say i still have no joy, if any engineer could look for me i would very much appreciate it as i still have two weeks untill i leave ntl so if the problem was fixed i would cancel moving to them.

Paul K
31-05-2005, 13:06
Hi

a very kind engineer did look for me and escalated the problem but as i say i still have no joy, if any engineer could look for me i would very much appreciate it as i still have two weeks untill i leave ntl so if the problem was fixed i would cancel moving to them.
Who are you moving to? As everyone has said so far you cannot get ADSL through your NTL phone line as you need a BT line for that.
Depending on how close you are to your local exchange you may find that NTL offer you the best/ most stable speed :(

caroline
31-05-2005, 13:11
Yes i know i need a bt phone line[which is being put in , in two weeks] put in and maybe i will go with them still unsure and are still looking.

Paul
31-05-2005, 13:14
a very kind engineer did look for me and escalated the problem but as i say i still have no joy, if any engineer could look for me i would very much appreciate it as i still have two weeks untill i leave ntl so if the problem was fixed i would cancel moving to them.There is no point in an engineer looking again, they have already done this and know what the problem is - like you were told - it's in hand. There is nothing else the staff who visit here can do for you. :)

caroline
31-05-2005, 13:21
ok thanx for your very kind help:( and to all who helped me]

just by way of interest what will be my download and upload limits now in kbs please what can i expect my downloads to reach in kbs

simbr
31-05-2005, 16:06
Yes i know i need a bt phone line[which is being put in , in two weeks] put in and maybe i will go with them still unsure and are still looking.
I think I should point out that you cannot (or shouldn't be able to) get ntl:Freedom ADSL in a cabled area, even if you have a BT phoneline.
(probably doesn't apply to you anyway since Freedom only offer 512kbps at present but felt I should warn you in case)

Oh, and as an aside.. I did read recently that ntl were investigating offering high speed ADSL using ntl phonelines (since the last length of cable is copper).

frabe
31-05-2005, 23:39
ok thanx for your very kind help:( and to all who helped me]

just by way of interest what will be my download and upload limits now in kbs please what can i expect my downloads to reach in kbs

sent you a PM