PDA

View Full Version : Ingrown toenails

greencreeper
30-05-2005, 22:47
Mine are going to be ripped off on Wednesday. I've had three cancelled appointments prior to this, for various reasons. I'm preparing for not coming out - various factors contribute to a fairly high probability something will go wrong. Dying doesn't really worry me as much as not being here does, and leaving behind loved ones.

Anyone want to share their horror stories, just to comfort me :D

Chimaera
30-05-2005, 22:49
I'm glad I'm not the only one to be scared! You will be fine though - remember you only hear of the horror stories/things that went wrong in the press - the papers wouldn't have enough room to publish all the success stories!
Good luck and hope you get lots of TLC when you come home, and post on here with the gory details/photos! :erm:

dilli-theclaw
30-05-2005, 22:49

about ingrowing toenails?

greencreeper
30-05-2005, 22:53
about ingrowing toenails?
Any hospital horror story.

Well, here's my analysis...

Hospitals are dirty and full of sick people - high chance of infection and/or acquiring something nasty
The nails themselves are infected, which leaves open the possibility of septic shock, which means I won't be coming home with the same number of limbs and/or IQ I went in with
The surgery is minor - the sort trusted to a junior surgeon...
The surgery is routine - things that are routine have more chance of going wrong because routine breeds complacency. I've done it myself with computers.

I will post the gory details if I make it out.

Chimaera
30-05-2005, 22:57
Of course you will make it out - only the good die young, remember! And as soon as you can walk or hobble about the ward you will be out - someone else will be waiting in the wings for your bed! And at least that way there is less chance of getting an infection (and less hospital food). They don't let the really junior doctors loose with operations - you should get someone with a bit of experience at least! And even if you do, I think most junior doctors start their new posts in August - so they would have had a few months experience by now, anyway.

dilli-theclaw
30-05-2005, 22:57

Hospitals are dirty and full of sick people - high chance of infection and/or acquiring something nasty
The nails themselves are infected, which leaves open the possibility of septic shock, which means I won't be coming home with the same number of limbs and/or IQ I went in with
The surgery is routine - things that are routine have more chance of going wrong because routine breeds complacency. I've done it myself with computers.

A couple of years ago my local hospital ran out of spaces in the morgue and was laying bodies out in the chapel.

Not nice - but true.

As for personal stories of horror - well I had an operation on my privates and that wasn't fun.

fireman328
30-05-2005, 22:58

Any chance of before and after pics as I need somethingto cheer me up ?

Raistlin
30-05-2005, 23:03
I went to hospital a few years back to have my wisdom teeth out.

When I woke up I started patting my cheeks to see how swolen they were, an discovered something hanging from my ear.

When I asked what it was I was told that it was one of the machines that they use to check you are still alive. Apparently it had been attached to my finger but, during the procedure, I had coughed so much that it had fallen off.

Apparently there were about 5 seconds after this thing fell off where I was apparently flatlining, according to their machines I was dead.

Oh how we laughed.....

Roy MM
30-05-2005, 23:03
K i'm 59 up to last year i had never had any sort of operation, not even knocked out for teeth work, well i was rushed in last April with severe pains in my left leg................six operations later i came home minus the leg, so my advice do not delay any treatment it could save your life.

Paul
30-05-2005, 23:04
I will post the gory details if I make it out.Well you're not likely to if you don't .... ;)

greencreeper
30-05-2005, 23:04
Of course you will make it out - only the good die young, remember!
:shocked: Thanks! :D

And as soon as you can walk or hobble about the ward you will be out - someone else will be waiting in the wings for your bed! And at least that way there is less chance of getting an infection (and less hospital food).
That's true. I won't be eating hospital food - seen one too many documentaries :disturbd:

They don't let the really junior doctors loose with operations - you should get someone with a bit of experience at least! And even if you do, I think most junior doctors start their new posts in August - so they would have had a few months experience by now, anyway.
That's comforting :D

As for personal stories of horror - well I had an operation on my privates and that wasn't fun.
My dad had the snip and it went wrong. His nuts were a shade of blue/black apparently. A black doctor examined him and said he was fine - my dad, tactful as ever, remarked that maybe for him they were :D

Any chance of before and after pics as I need somethingto cheer me up ?
Thanks. Not much to see actually - just a bit red and puffy :shrug: You'll have seen and smelt far worse I imagine.

dilli-theclaw
30-05-2005, 23:06
That's true. I won't be eating hospital food - seen one too many documentaries :disturbd:

The one thing that was brilliant when I was in hospital the last few times was the food..

maybe it was soylent green ;):)

greencreeper
30-05-2005, 23:07
When I woke up I started patting my cheeks to see how swolen they were, an discovered something hanging from my ear.
Either your brains or your signature will be on this morphine script before the day is out, huh :D

I've been to oral surgery - scary, scary stuff.

K i'm 59 up to last year i had never had any sort of operation, not even knocked out for teeth work, well i was rushed in last April with severe pains in my left leg................six operations later i came home minus the leg, so my advice do not delay any treatment it could save your life.

:Yikes: DVT or something??

Roy MM
30-05-2005, 23:11

:Yikes: DVT or something??

Vascular disease. :(

Chimaera
30-05-2005, 23:12
I had my varicose veins stripped several years ago and the surgical ward was full (yes FULL!) of old ladies that had either or both of their legs amputated - they were having wheelchair races up and down the ward! Every time the nurses came to take more details they were adamant I was having a leg removed too - you can guess what a state I was in by the time I was wheeled down for the op. When I woke up the first thing I did was feel down for my legs - but the strong painkillers had set in and I couldn't feel them, or wiggle my toes. I was nearly hysterical by the time they got me back to the ward - and I wouldn't shut up until they had demonstrated that both my legs were intact! :D

homealone
30-05-2005, 23:13
I have had two 'general' anaesthetics - one for a 'down below' & one for remove adenoids - the second was worse ;)

dilli-theclaw
30-05-2005, 23:15
I have had two 'general' anaesthetics - one for a 'down below' & one for remove adenoids - the second was worse ;)

I must be weird - I love general anasthetics.... I'm not sure why - I think it's because I'm SO relaxed before and when I come out of it.

MMMmmm

Roy MM
30-05-2005, 23:19
I found some good friends in my ward a lot of camaradary with guys that had similar surgery to me.

Chimaera
30-05-2005, 23:21
I must be weird - I love general anasthetics.... I'm not sure why - I think it's because I'm SO relaxed before and when I come out of it.

MMMmmm
Aren't you sick or queasy? I felt awful after the last one, but that might have been the IV painkillers I had as well. And I'm not relaxed before I have an anaesthetic - I'm usually being held down while they try to find a vein! :eek:

greencreeper
30-05-2005, 23:22
Vascular disease. :(
Ah. It is tough when you go from being well to being ill very rapidly - no time to get a handle on things.

I had my varicose veins stripped several years ago <Snip>
Funny but in a scary way - they do make mistakes <gulp> My mate had his legs done - they look like the Nile delta :p:

Sore throat? Wouldn't let em near my bits with anything sharper than a cotton wool bud. Noooooooooo.

I must be weird
:Yes: :D

iain_herts
30-05-2005, 23:30
well iv only ever had 1 op and that was ears nose and throt job. but bk in 1994 mum was bk and forth from the docs in pain. after just about a year she saw anouther local doc who told her to get straight down the hostpital. the following day mum was in theater and was told she was a very lucky woman at 1 point the doc said she had 1 week 2 at most but after that mum was in and out for about 2 years with a total of 9 ops i belive. and her notes was so big they were put in 2 big piles.

but i almosted ended up in hospital saterday nearly crashed my car(teach me for looking at road signs)but the car in front was over loaded with young kids sitting on ppls laps with no seat belts. god did that ***** me up big time.

Marge
30-05-2005, 23:31
Last time I was in was after my accident, first night I was on the MAU right next to an old dear who had to use the commode every hour, she may have been old but she could pass wind quite musically. The next night I ended up on a ward with a sister who had obviously been thrown out of the SS for cruelty, she frogmarched my visitor off the ward :erm: I was up, washed and dressed for 7am the next morning ready for my dad picking me up, I couldn't look at her grim face for much longer, in face she was rather like that nurse from One Flew Over The Cuckoos nest ;)

zoombini
30-05-2005, 23:33
I had an ingrown toenail operation when I was 15.

I'm 40 now & still suffering from it.

They left me with a bit in my foot, a little to the left of my big toe nail, it grows vertically & sticks out of a little hole.
needs trimming down once a month to keep it at bay otherwise it makes a hole in my socks or can cut the toe next to my big toe.

So make sure that they take it ALL out.

Raistlin
30-05-2005, 23:46
After I'd had my last op (something "down below") I awoke to find a perfectly square patch of hair had been shaved off of my right thigh (about 2" x 2") so it was totally smooth.

I asked the nurses, and the surgeon, about it and they could offer no explanation - there was no clinical reason why this would have been done and they couldn't tell me who had done it. It also isn't recorded on my notes.

Prior to the operation I had flown to Greece on holiday without any problems. Subsequent to the operation I flew to Turkey and set off the metal detector going out and coming back. I had already removed all metal objects from my pockets etc so the security guys used their magic wand thing to go over me with. The reading that they were getting appeared to be coming from an area around my right thigh.....

Go figure.....

nffc
30-05-2005, 23:53
Sounds like a bit of a balls-up :D

zoombini
30-05-2005, 23:55
Hmm, perhaps something was left inside & you need to get it xrayed etc to find out.

Roy MM
30-05-2005, 23:58
After I'd had my last op (something "down below") I awoke to find a perfectly square patch of hair had been shaved off of my right thigh (about 2" x 2") so it was totally smooth.

I asked the nurses, and the surgeon, about it and they could offer no explanation - there was no clinical reason why this would have been done and they couldn't tell me who had done it. It also isn't recorded on my notes.

Prior to the operation I had flown to Greece on holiday without any problems. Subsequent to the operation I flew to Turkey and set off the metal detector going out and coming back. I had already removed all metal objects from my pockets etc so the security guys used their magic wand thing to go over me with. The reading that they were getting appeared to be coming from an area around my right thigh.....

Go figure.....

an alien implant,

listens for the music. :D :D

ian@huth
31-05-2005, 00:05
When I was about 12 I was taking a clothes line in for my Grandmother. I stood on a stool to take the line off the hook on the house wall and the stool slipped. Was left hanging with the rusty hook going through my hand. Pulled myself off and was taken to hospital. Wound cleaned up, a couple of stitches inserted and a tetanus jab in the leg, job done. Not quite, the needle was missing from the syringe. After searching around I was taken for an x-ray and sure enough the needle was floating around in my leg. Went back into hospital to have it removed. X-rayed, spot marked and off to the theatre. Opened up and they couldn't find the needle. X-rayed again and needle found again several inches from where it was first marked. Success this time. When they did the first operation they was giving me the anesthetic and I heard one of the team say "OK he's gone" and thought to myself "Oh no I haven't" but the next thing I remember was coming round after the op.

MovedGoalPosts
31-05-2005, 00:44
So back to the ingrowing toenail bit, I had this problem with my big left toe when I was 19. Just to give greencreeper a lot of comfort the full gory details .....

Do not read below if you are at all squeamish (as I am).

My toe was nicely swelling up due to being sore, with not very pleasant, and smelly pussy stuff oozing from the edges, where the skin was cut. I needed a strong course of antibiotics for a fortnight before the hospital visit.

Come the big day I limped into the hospital's outpatient ward, which proved to be an extension of casualty. Guess what this was going to be done under local anesthetic :eeek:

Blissfully unaware of what was to happen, I lay down on the couch had a few sharp needles prodded into my foot, and when the doctor was satisfied I felt a strong tug and yank at my foot and then heard an almighty CRACK :sick:

The toenail was off, toe bandaged up and I was left to limp home.

A year later, the nail had grown back, but had again started to go ingrowing with all the same old problems, yuckky puss and all that stuff. The appointment was made, and back to the outpatients I was sent. :Yikes:

OMG, I now knew what was about to happen. There is no way to describe the "I DO NOT WANT THIS" feeling. It wasn't helped when, despite the number of patients that must be seen each year in a casualty ward, Watford General, the nurse recognised me. What a bad patient I must have been :eek: (I wish I could have said it was my dodgy chat up lines :angel: )

Anyway I went through with it, braced myself and once again felt the yanking on my numbed foot and heard that appalling CRACKING sound. :shocking:

A year later, you guessed it, it had again become ingrowing :bigcry:

Fortunately this time, I was wise to the event, and my neighbour at the time, a consultant surgeon said he had a solution. Essentially, and mercifully under general aneasthetic this time (result), he would trim the nail and it's root so that it woudl regrown, but only to a part of it's width. Great. :)

So the big day came, when in the hospital I find I'm in a ward of older blokes (me now only a youthful 21), all of whom have some sort of issues with their bladders. and we are on some sort of quick day surgery process in and out. Mild panic sets in as I realise everyone else is being cut up around their private parts, I can only hope that proper notes have been made as to where I am getting the chop :insert I want my mummy smiley here:

Fortunately they cut off the right bit.

Only problem is for a few weeks after all this the toe is bandaged, open toed sandals are the only practical footwear. During a summer job as a student I managed to drop a paper reel that must have weighed 20kg on by unprotected bandaged toe. The forum censor could not possible coipe with the expletives that were uttered.

The last surgery worked out well, and today I stil have that regrown but slightly narrower toenail.

I know others have had far worse problems to face, and admit, yes I am a wimp. GC you have my sympathies for what you are about to face. enjoy :D

greencreeper
31-05-2005, 00:47
Marge - when I was last in hospital, having my nose done, I had a room to myself, full of metal cabinets that the nurses kept going in and out of all night long...

Raistlin - you're just waiting for activation. Don't worry about.

I can relate to the hole thing Zoombini - my left toenail, left side once did that. Freaked me out. I think a piece of nail broke off and worked its way to the surface.

Ian - noooooo. Needles are bad enough without having one lost inside you.

MGP - I can go a few better :D They plan on removing both big toenails, then cauterising (cooking - kills the cells) the nail beds, then stitching each nail bed with non-dissolving stitches (to be removed later). The Registrar said it would be too painful for local and would need general. Plan is, have the op, spend ages with feet in air, go home, spend more time with feet in air, them see nurse at GP's surgery next day to have the bandages reduced.

Raistlin
31-05-2005, 00:52

It's ok. I'm quite calm. The voices inside my head keep me that way.....

On one of my other visits to hospital (yes I've been in and out more times than I can count) I was in a bed next to a guy with an appaling footbal injury.

He had twisted his leg during a game and completely destroyed the cartilidge (sp?) behind his right knee-cap.
The knee had swolen up to about the size of the footbal he had been playing with.

The surgeon came round on the morning of his operation to have a look at the knee, after examining both legs he took a permanant marker and drew a big arrow pointing at the bad knee.

When the guy asked what he had done that for the surgeon replied (with a better poker face than I could ever manage:

"That's so I don't operate on the wrong knee." :Yikes:

MovedGoalPosts
31-05-2005, 00:54
MGP - I can go a few better :D They plan on removing both big toenails, then cauterising (cooking - kills the cells) the nail beds, then stitching each nail bed with non-dissolving stitches (to be removed later). The Registrar said it would be too painful for local and would need general. Plan is, have the op, spend ages with feet in air, go home, spend more time with feet in air, them see nurse at GP's surgery next day to have the bandages reduced.

You have my commiserations. Looks like they are going for the one time only approach then, wave goodbye to toenails.

Raistlin
31-05-2005, 00:54
On the same visit there was a guy in the bed opposite me who had just had an operation on his lower back (haven't got a clue what he had done).

He had a large (about 6" across) square bandage taped over the area.

When it was taken off to be changed he invited me to have a look at what they had done and there was just a big gaping hole there where they had removed a chunk of skin and some flesh.

nffc
31-05-2005, 00:55

It's ok. I'm quite calm. The voices inside my head keep me that way.....

On one of my other visits to hospital (yes I've been in and out more times than I can count) I was in a bed next to a guy with an appaling footbal injury.

He had twisted his leg during a game and completely destroyed the cartilidge (sp?) behind his right knee-cap.
The knee had swolen up to about the size of the footbal he had been playing with.

The surgeon came round on the morning of his operation to have a look at the knee, after examining both legs he took a permanant marker and drew a big arrow pointing at the bad knee.

When the guy asked what he had done that for the surgeon replied (with a better poker face than I could ever manage:

"That's so I don't operate on the wrong knee." :Yikes:

LMAO.

greencreeper
31-05-2005, 00:56
<snip>
I supposed it's an easy mistake to make, especially during afternoon surgery when the consultant has had a liquid lunch :erm:

My mate mentioned that when he had his veins done, the surgeon drew marks all over his legs where the cuts were going to be. I mean - do you really want to know that before you go down? :disturbd:

Raistlin
31-05-2005, 01:00
My favourite (if you can call it that) trip to hospital was when I had an operation on my nose. I had it cauterised to stop the persistent nose bleeds that I was getting, they also had to correct the deviation in my septum.

The entire ward was taken up with people havng similar operations on their noses. When we woke up we all had a sausage shaped wadding under our noses, with ties on the end going over our ears and around the backs of our heads. It was probably the funniest thing I've seen ever. Loads of grown men with white sausage shaped moustaches!!

The guy in the bed opposite was having quite a severe reaction to the anesthetic but was mortally afraid of needles, and so couldn't have the post operative injection they give you to counter the effects of the anesthetic.

The nurses spent quite some time consulting with doctors to find out if there was something else they could give him. The look of relief on his face when they told him they had found an alternative was only surpassed by the looks of horror on our (the other patients) faces when they pulled round the privacy curtains and we heard the snap of a rubber glove followed by a pained cry of "Oh God no! You're not sticking that in there!" :Yikes:

swoop101
31-05-2005, 08:03
I awoke to find a perfectly square patch of hair had been shaved off of my right thigh (about 2" x 2") so it was totally smooth.

That happened to me when I had a hernia op a few years ago, a couple of days after the op I rubbed my leg to find a bald bit about 5" square. Never did fnd out why :shrug:

I have ingrowing toenails as well, had the right one done at the clinic last June. It still hurts now :(
Now the left one is playing me up, will have to go back. :mad:

greencreeper
31-05-2005, 08:34
Raistlin - another advantage to being gay huh ;) :D

In some ways, I'd prefer an MGP op where part of the toenail is left. I'm a bit worried about the toes will look like without nails - I don't really want something that is all scabby and ewwwwww looking. On the other hand, I don't want the nails to become ingrown again, so maybe removing them is best. Sigh :spin:

deadite66
31-05-2005, 08:45
i had an ingrowing toenail, though i think i got off lightly.
it was uncomfortable for a while but largly ignored it and after a while it sorted itself out.
nails slight more curved and thinker now, just glad i got away without going to the hospital.

gazzae
31-05-2005, 08:45
I really need to get mine sorted out. I've had them in both my big toes for about a year!

What did you do? Just make an appointment at your doctors?

zoombini
31-05-2005, 08:49
Marge - when I was last in hospital, having my nose done, I had a room to myself, full of metal cabinets that the nurses kept going in and out of all night long...

You mean they put you in the storeroom with all thier lockers in?

Short of space or what! :D

Raistlin
31-05-2005, 09:10
That happened to me when I had a hernia op a few years ago, a couple of days after the op I rubbed my leg to find a bald bit about 5" square. Never did fnd out why :shrug:

That's what I was having done (you weren't at a hospital in East Anglia were you?).

Chimaera
31-05-2005, 09:12
I had the handwashing sink in my cubicle when I last stayed in hospital - some members of staff used it a lot more than others! Didn't make for a very restful stay, though. ;)

That's what I was having done (you weren't at a hospital in East Anglia were you?).
I think I see a pattern emerging here - my boss had a hernia op last year and they did the shaving thing to him too! I'm sure he said why but for the life of me I can't remember - I'll find out next time I see him.
He was in a private hospital in Central London if that makes any difference?

zing_deleted
31-05-2005, 09:35
Ive ripped a couple out meself,just score down the side with a scalpel and rip them out with a pair of pliers :LOL:

Maggy
31-05-2005, 09:45
I've been in hospital 4 times in my life.When I was born(I was a rhesus - baby and there were complications).When I had a large lump removed from one breast(it was benign) and that was one day surgery. :tu:

The other two occasions,despite the pain and tiredness,were the best two periods of my life ever..The results of which are now 22 and 17 respectively. :D

Have to say, having read the other posts that I seem to have done rather well... :)

Nugget
31-05-2005, 10:47
When I was in hospital having the second operation on my nose, the guy in the next bed was having a similar op (I actually had plastic surgery to try and straighten mine - can't understand whu there's still a big dent in it, but there you go :disturbd: ).

Anyway, in the middle of the night (after the operations), the other guy started coughing and spluttering - when the nurses checked him out, it turned out that one of the dressings (that are basically shoved up your nose almost to the brain :shocked: ) had slipped down through his naval cavity, and he was slowly choking. Got mine checked immediately, I can tell you!

Croker
31-05-2005, 11:17
Mine are going to be ripped off on Wednesday. I've had three cancelled appointments prior to this, for various reasons. I'm preparing for not coming out - various factors contribute to a fairly high probability something will go wrong. Dying doesn't really worry me as much as not being here does, and leaving behind loved ones.

I had one of mine done by general anaesthetic years ago. they sort of peeled back the skin and scraped the roots out so it wouldn't grow again (for about three years previosuly I had been hobbling about with an intermitent ingrowing and painful nail due, I think, to a motorcycle accident - toe caught in chain etc). It's a bit painfull when you wake up, and other patients tend to make fun of you etc, but its over soon enough

thing is they did not scape all the roots out completely so I get a kind of 'sliver' that grows once in a while that has to be filed down in a quasi grotesque way

Faulty
31-05-2005, 15:04

I don't need to go to the doctor for ingrown toenails, coz i cut them out myself before they get out of control!

Jules
31-05-2005, 15:28
We live in Leeds Greencreeper and my son had his removed at the infirmary about 18 months ago when he was 12 and he was in and out in the same day with no problems :)

Mind you they have grown back just as bad lol

allieyoung666
31-05-2005, 15:45
It only hurts if you get yourself worked up!!! Plus if your BP is sky high chances are they will not do it untill you have settled yourself down a bit. Just think nice happy thoughts, ask for a pre med if you are getting totally worked up.
Many of these procdures are done as a day case, so you can most probally go home after a few hours.

dilli-theclaw
31-05-2005, 17:54
Aren't you sick or queasy? I felt awful after the last one, but that might have been the IV painkillers I had as well. And I'm not relaxed before I have an anaesthetic - I'm usually being held down while they try to find a vein! :eek:

Not even a little bit.

As for finding a vein I've normally already got a cannular in anyway so they can just shoot me up :)

greencreeper
31-05-2005, 18:38
I really need to get mine sorted out. I've had them in both my big toes for about a year!

What did you do? Just make an appointment at your doctors?
Bit of a saga really. I spoke to a locum GP who said he'd arrange a referral to a General Surgeon. I waited ages and nothing - turned out the appointment was never made :rolleyes: This was around January/February last year - I was moving home. I got the referral sorted out and then discovered my new GP does minor surgery - it's the future of primary health care apparently. Hmmm. Having said that, I much prefer a hospital doing these things.

You mean they put you in the storeroom with all thier lockers in?

Short of space or what! :D
Yes :D I'm going to the same hospital for the toes doing - I'll probably end up in the day room or the sluice :D

Ive ripped a couple out meself,just score down the side with a scalpel and rip them out with a pair of pliers :LOL:
<me pales>

We live in Leeds Greencreeper and my son had his removed at the infirmary about 18 months ago when he was 12 and he was in and out in the same day with no problems :)

Mind you they have grown back just as bad lol
I'm booked in at the Day Unit at Seacroft hospital - not sure why.

I've had the ingrown toenails for around a decade. The right/right went first, then the right/left, then the left/left, then finally, the left/right. Nasty puss and seperating my sock from my toe are features of daily life :( I can't kick anything and running is tricky. It'll be weird if I can kick again :D

danielf
31-05-2005, 18:41
I've had the ingrown toenails for around a decade. The right/right went first, then the right/left, then the left/left, then finally, the left/right. Nasty puss and seperating my sock from my toe are features of daily life :( I can't kick anything and running is tricky. It'll be weird if I can kick again :D

When you can, you'll be kicking yourself for not sorting it earlier...

greencreeper
31-05-2005, 18:43
When you can, you'll be kicking yourself for not sorting it earlier...
I just kept putting off over the years :shrug:

danielf
31-05-2005, 18:50
I just kept putting off over the years :shrug:

Not an avid footie player then? :)

greencreeper
31-05-2005, 19:29
Not an avid footie player then? :)
Not at all. The nearest I get to kicking is tripping over things, which is agony.

MovedGoalPosts
01-06-2005, 00:02

I think that quite accurately describes the "local aneasthetic minor surgery" process. CRACK :disturbd:

zing_deleted
01-06-2005, 01:04
I think that quite accurately describes the "local aneasthetic minor surgery" process. CRACK :disturbd:
My local tends to be vodka :disturbd:

greencreeper
01-06-2005, 09:04
Well, the day dawns and I'm a bit :spin: :disturbd: :cry: :hyper:

dilli-theclaw
01-06-2005, 09:05
Well, the day dawns and I'm a bit :spin: :disturbd: :cry: :hyper:

It was nice knowing you...... I'm gonna miss you :bigcry::bigcry:

No seriously I'm sure you'll be fine ;):D (probably:))

greencreeper
01-06-2005, 09:07
It was nice knowing you...... I'm gonna miss you :bigcry::bigcry:

No seriously I'm sure you'll be fine ;):D (probably:))
Well thanks for the comforting words Dilli :D

Would kill for a cuppa :(

homealone
01-06-2005, 09:11
good luck GC - you'll be ok :tu:

Chimaera
01-06-2005, 09:19
Yep - you will be fine GC!
Just don't drink the 'tea' they offer you aftrwards - I've seen stronger looking dishwater! :erm:

Roy MM
01-06-2005, 09:28
You'll wonder what all the fuss was later. :D good luck.

greencreeper
01-06-2005, 09:31
Thanks all :)

I quite like a milky tea :erm:

fireman328
01-06-2005, 09:35
Good luck !!!
If the op gets cancelled I have a top of the range Swiss Army Knife which has served me well in all parts of the world .

zoombini
01-06-2005, 12:35
But you have to drink the tea, it's the law. :D

Jules
01-06-2005, 13:50
I wonder how it is going :D

nffc
01-06-2005, 14:02
I dunno, is he dead yet? :D :monkey:

Jules
01-06-2005, 14:03
Oh you are awfull! lol And isn't he a she?

nffc
01-06-2005, 14:17
Oh you are awfull! lol And isn't he a she?
Think "it's" a he actually... and I was so joking... :LOL:

Salu
01-06-2005, 14:59
I've had the pleasure of removing several toenails myself. Firstly, ingrowing toenails hardly ever resolve themselves and almost always get infected. Putting off getting them sorted will mean more pain and discomfort almost definately.

There are several things you can do. The more favoured way is to do something called a Zadik's procedure with phenolisation of the root. This is where you cut down the side of the nail to the nail matrix, ie the root. You then pull out this slither and apply some diluted phenol (which is also known as carbolic acid) to the nail matrix. This kills the cells that produce the nail and you end up with a slightly narrower nail, as mentioned by someone before. The reoccurance of these is less than with a straight removal.

The straight removal involves using a blunt disection technique. This is there you push a closed set of scissors down the centre of the nail and when they are at the bottom (at the nail matrix) you open them which separates the nail from the nailbed. You then remove it and clear out the ingrowing sides. often there are strips remaining that patients have attempted to remove themselves that I have even seen protrude through the end of the toe! The problem tends to reoccur though, hence the various stories above.

It's very satisfiying removing them though..... :)

You'll be OK greencreeper.....It's no more painful under a GA than a local though. It's down to the surgeon's choice. If you did this under local you probably wouldn't do both at the same time. But the risks associated to GA (the GA state is the closest to death you will get.....!) means that doing both is better even though the trade off is immobility.

Good luck!

On the same visit there was a guy in the bed opposite me who had just had an operation on his lower back (haven't got a clue what he had done).

He had a large (about 6" across) square bandage taped over the area.

When it was taken off to be changed he invited me to have a look at what they had done and there was just a big gaping hole there where they had removed a chunk of skin and some flesh.

That would have been something called a pilonidal sinus op. This is when something goes wrong with a hair follicle. The hair ingrows for want of a better explanation. The follicle and hair are removed which leaves a hole. The hole is packed and allowed to grow from the base outwards.

zing_deleted
01-06-2005, 15:02
I feel quite ill now :Yikes:

MovedGoalPosts
01-06-2005, 15:06
I've had the pleasure of removing several toenails myself. <snip>
It's very satisfiying removing them though..... :)

Words fail me that anybody could be so sadistic to enjoy inflicting such agony on the helpless patient. Some bedside manner you don't have :mad: ;)

I feel quite ill now :Yikes:

I want to know why I keep getting drawn back to this thread when it brings back such uncomfortable memories. I cringe every time I read more of the gory details. :sick:

gazzae
01-06-2005, 15:08
You then remove it and clear out the ingrowing sides. often there are strips remaining that patients have attempted to remove themselves that I have even seen protrude through the end of the toe!

I had a small sliver of nail that protruded though the end of my toe. Managed to get rid of it.

danielf
01-06-2005, 15:10
You'll wonder what all the fuss was later. :D good luck.

Surely you mean puss? ;)

Salu
01-06-2005, 15:13
Surely you mean puss? ;)

.........or even pus

I've never seen a cat come out of a toenail.... :p:

Dave Stones
01-06-2005, 15:15
I've had the pleasure of removing several toenails myself. Firstly, ingrowing toenails hardly ever resolve themselves and almost always get infected. Putting off getting them sorted will mean more pain and discomfort almost definately.<snip>

i bet i wasn't the only one who read that and thought that salu was some kind of masochist, who enjoyed pouring phenol all over his feet and putting scissors where they shouldn't be... :sick: :disturbd:

remind me never to go to your hostipal :erm:

Salu
01-06-2005, 15:18
You should see the look on my face as I was doing it.....one eyebrow raised and the other eye slightly twitching.....

muhhhaaahhahhahhaaaaaaaa

Hostipal.......I like it...

Dave Stones
01-06-2005, 15:19
You should see the look on my face as I was doing it.....one eyebrow raised and the other eye slightly twitching.....

muhhhaaahhahhahhaaaaaaaa

something like:

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2005/06/37.jpg

?

Salu
01-06-2005, 15:20
That's it!

MovedGoalPosts
01-06-2005, 17:37

muhhhaaahhahhahhaaaaaaaa

\Resists the urge to use the Red rep button. :(

paulyoung666
01-06-2005, 17:43
i bet i wasn't the only one who read that and thought that salu was some kind of masochist, who enjoyed pouring phenol all over his feet and putting scissors where they shouldn't be... :sick: :disturbd:

remind me never to go to your hostipal :erm:

you wouldnt want to pour phenol (http://www.scorecard.org/chemical-profiles/summary.tcl?edf_substance_id=108-95-2) all over you :no: :no: :no: , well not neat phenol anyway :disturbd:

Maggy
01-06-2005, 17:47
OK I've had enough! More than time to unsubscribe... :redcard: :Sprint:

greencreeper
02-06-2005, 00:29
Think "it's" a he actually... and I was so joking... :LOL:
It's a matter of some complexity, but my gender is male :)

No I'm not dead - would be a relief though. This will most likely be my last post for a few days - have to keep my feet up at all times. Read on for the story...

I turned up for surgery and discovered there was no anaesthetist to do the general anaesthetic - the clinic was local only. I explained to the nurse that this cock-up had happened before and I had contacted the admissions team who had changed my appointment from local to general. I had even fasted for a general. The answer was that I may as well eat because there was no way I was having a general. I explained that the surgeon wanted to do the Z thing (that Salu describes) and had said it would have to be general. The nurse told me to wait for the surgeon. Turns out that the Consultant is in Spain - I'm seeing the Registrar. Hmmm. It was the same surgeon I had seen before but this time his opinion was different - I guess Gods can change their minds. He explained that, given the extent to which the toes were infected, a Z procedure was out of the question and instead he would remove the nails under local and arrange for me to come back in 6 weeks for the nail bed killing. I would be taking antibiotics in the mean time. I'd waited the best part of 2 years to have the operation, so I agreed to the local.

In theatre, the Registrar changed his mind again - he was going to remove the toenails and I had to carefully trim them to avoid a reoccurrence - no killing the nail bed. The nurse (one of four) advised me that the injections would be painful, but that was the worst of the procedure.

I have now both redefined my definition of pain, and discovered that local anaesthetic has little effect on me. With me yelling and swearing and the nurse holding onto my chest, the surgeon injected my left toe around half-a-dozen times. The pain was indescribable. By the time he had finished, I'd nearly bit through my bottom lip and was hyperventilating so badly that they attached me to a monitor. I was shaking and sweating heavily. The surgeon moved onto the right toe - I had the pleasure of knowing what was coming. Despite two further injections in each toe, I still felt most of the pain of the surgeon gripping and removing the toenails, and slicing away the overgrown skin on both sides of each toe. By the time he had finished, I was on the point of passing out. The hyperventilating had also caused pins and needles in my hands. The nurse gave me oxygen and I had to be wheeled on a trolley back to the ward. I sometimes think I can still feel the Lidocaine filling my toe.

The surgeon has advised me to never have anything done under local again - always insist on general anaesthetic and explain why.

I'm on heavy duty painkillers, which make the room go round :spin: My toes are on fire. Tomorrow I see the GP for antibiotics - surgeon forgot to prescribe them. Friday the nurse comes to dress the toes - something I'm not looking forward to.

danielf
02-06-2005, 00:35
No I'm not dead - would be a relief though..<snip>

Bloody hell!!! :erm: Sorry to hear that GC :disturbd:

MovedGoalPosts
02-06-2005, 00:48
No I'm not dead - would be a relief though. This will most likely be my last post for a few days - have to keep my feet up at all times. Read on for the story...

I only had one toe done (but they did the local bit to me two years running (as per my original post forewarning you of the terrors to come :erm: ) Second time when the nurse recognised me she did helpfully say " you could have asked for a general " :disturbd:

20 years later the whole thing remains painfully etched in my memory. Yes there may be worse things in life but I will never ever forget that "CRACK" :eek: :mad:

What get's me is why, when I srongly suspect the average patient having this done is anything but patient, it is even deemed acceptable that is should be done as a local aneasthetic.

Keep your feet up, enjoy the halucinations of the drugs, and get the GP to do a home visit with your prescription. You don't want to walk to the surgery and start the things bleeding again when you are specifically told to keep it all elevated.

Chimaera
02-06-2005, 09:00
Words fail me! That sounds truly horrible GC - as soon as you're up to it I think I'd be writing a few letters to find out what on earth went wrong! That's absolutely terrible treatment - I hope you get better soon, :hugs:

Salu
02-06-2005, 09:44
It's a matter of some complexity, but my gender is male :)

I turned up for surgery and discovered there was no anaesthetist to do the general anaesthetic - the clinic was local only. I explained to the nurse that this cock-up had happened before and I had contacted the admissions team who had changed my appointment from local to general. I had even fasted for a general. The answer was that I may as well eat because there was no way I was having a general. I explained that the surgeon wanted to do the Z thing (that Salu describes) and had said it would have to be general. The nurse told me to wait for the surgeon. Turns out that the Consultant is in Spain - I'm seeing the Registrar. Hmmm. It was the same surgeon I had seen before but this time his opinion was different - I guess Gods can change their minds. He explained that, given the extent to which the toes were infected, a Z procedure was out of the question and instead he would remove the nails under local and arrange for me to come back in 6 weeks for the nail bed killing. I would be taking antibiotics in the mean time. I'd waited the best part of 2 years to have the operation, so I agreed to the local.

In theatre, the Registrar changed his mind again - he was going to remove the toenails and I had to carefully trim them to avoid a reoccurrence - no killing the nail bed. The nurse (one of four) advised me that the injections would be painful, but that was the worst of the procedure.

I have now both redefined my definition of pain, and discovered that local anaesthetic has little effect on me. With me yelling and swearing and the nurse holding onto my chest, the surgeon injected my left toe around half-a-dozen times. The pain was indescribable. By the time he had finished, I'd nearly bit through my bottom lip and was hyperventilating so badly that they attached me to a monitor. I was shaking and sweating heavily. The surgeon moved onto the right toe - I had the pleasure of knowing what was coming. Despite two further injections in each toe, I still felt most of the pain of the surgeon gripping and removing the toenails, and slicing away the overgrown skin on both sides of each toe. By the time he had finished, I was on the point of passing out. The hyperventilating had also caused pins and needles in my hands. The nurse gave me oxygen and I had to be wheeled on a trolley back to the ward. I sometimes think I can still feel the Lidocaine filling my toe.

The surgeon has advised me to never have anything done under local again - always insist on general anaesthetic and explain why.

I'm on heavy duty painkillers, which make the room go round :spin: My toes are on fire. Tomorrow I see the GP for antibiotics - surgeon forgot to prescribe them. Friday the nurse comes to dress the toes - something I'm not looking forward to.

What a cock-up..... :mad:

It takes 2 no more than 3 injections to numb a toe. :mad: Infection can interfere with the effect of lignocaine but your toe would have to be pretty infected. As the toe is injected right at the base where it joins the foot, the infection is usually not much further down than the base of the nail; so this should not have been the case. It's true that some people can be less sensitive to LA than others but in my experience that excuse is used too often! Poor regional anaesthesia technique is more likely to blame. Surgeons don't do pain relief very well. :rolleyes: That's why there are anaesthetists....

And then forgetting the Antibiotics.....what can I say....

If your head is spinning you may not need the full strength pain relief. If you take two tablets at each dose, try knocking back to one. If it's co-dydramol or co-codamol, double the dose does not always mean double the relief, but it does increase the chance of dizziness....

Try ringing your GP for the prescription, to avoid a visit. The pharmacy may even have a drop off service....

You poor man...... :p:

fireman328
02-06-2005, 10:00
I think I would be looking for a good solicitor to write a letter to the hospitals Chief Exec. asking how and why this debacle of healthcare happened.
Hope all goes well from now on.
I won a bottle of Scotch last night I only wish I could e-mail it to you to deaden the pain !

greencreeper
02-06-2005, 10:25
Morning. Got my feet on the desk - undignified and uncomfortable but hey. Bit of a rough night - kept awake worrying about knocking the toes, plus I kept thinking they were bleeding.

Salu - the surgeon injected all sides of the toe: underneath (agony), each side a few times, and the top of the toe. I have the same problems with teeth - takes a long time for the anesthetic to act, and I nearly always need two or three injections at the base of the tooth. I'm just a sensitive guy :D I'm on Kapake 500/30 - I've cut it down to one and the room moves less. Gonna phone the doc in a moment.

My mum wants me to take legal action and go to the papers, but I'm taking the view that it's done now and move on. At least I know to avoid local now :erm:

I missed the postman because I can't move fast enough. Bugger.

Salu
02-06-2005, 10:40
My mum wants me to take legal action and go to the papers, but I'm taking the view that it's done now and move on. At least I know to avoid local now :erm:

I missed the postman because I can't move fast enough. Bugger.

I agree with you. Move on. There would be little to gain I think. Only bitterness....

Looks like Ligonocaine doesn't work too well with you. Lignocaine/lidocaine works quickly but doesn't last long. There are others you could try. You could mention this if you need to face something like this again.

Bupivocaine or Prilocaine last longer. You probably metabolise lignocaine quickly.

Jules
02-06-2005, 11:46
What a terrible thing to go through! When my son had his done he had a general was out the same day and only needed calpol for the first 24 hours.

I hope you start to feel better soon

greencreeper
02-06-2005, 19:39
Bupivocaine or Prilocaine last longer. You probably metabolise lignocaine quickly.
Well my body is a weird thing, so it wouldn't surprise if I metabolise lignocaine quickly :( I'm just going to stick to general in future.

I arranged to see the GP - actually the Nurse Practitioner, who are usually great - to get some antibiotics. I explained the situation and handed over the letter given to me by the hospital. She was puzzled why I had a district nurse visit arranged when my local GP surgery could do the redressing. Also, the letter made no mention of the toes being infected, so she would need to see them to prescribe anything. So the bandages had to come off :disturbd: It was like taking off a plaster cast, only with dried and drying blood instead of plaster. When I opened my eyes, my toes still look like toes - big relief :D She wasn't too happy at the quality of the bandaging, and put this fancy antibiotic pad on, then an iodine pad, then gauze, then cotton wool, then finally the bandage! Quite comfy. I've to go back on Monday for more redressing, but the antibiotic pad can stay on for weeks. I'm most impressed - no pulling at my toes. I'm planning on taking next week off work - give myself more time to recover.

TheBlueRaja
02-06-2005, 20:48
Dude, after being made aware of your plight in another thread - i thought i would drop in to pay my respects.

You have my sympathies...

MovedGoalPosts
02-06-2005, 20:56
I arranged to see the GP - actually the Nurse Practitioner, who are usually great - to get some antibiotics. I explained the situation and handed over the letter given to me by the hospital. She was puzzled why I had a district nurse visit arranged when my local GP surgery could do the redressing. Also, the letter made no mention of the toes being infected, so she would need to see them to prescribe anything. So the bandages had to come off :disturbd: It was like taking off a plaster cast, only with dried and drying blood instead of plaster. When I opened my eyes, my toes still look like toes - big relief :D She wasn't too happy at the quality of the bandaging, and put this fancy antibiotic pad on, then an iodine pad, then gauze, then cotton wool, then finally the bandage! Quite comfy. I've to go back on Monday for more redressing, but the antibiotic pad can stay on for weeks. I'm most impressed - no pulling at my toes. I'm planning on taking next week off work - give myself more time to recover.

I would have thought the district nurse visit made sense so you didn't have to hobble about.

As for getting the bandages off, I seem to recall having to soak my toe in a savalon type solution. My toe is curling up in sympathy with you even now.

Jules
02-06-2005, 21:16
Can you get your shoes on yet Green? :)

greencreeper
03-06-2005, 01:06
Thanks Raja :)

I agree MGP - difficult to arrange my mate to pick me up and then have to struggle in and out the car. Modern health care is a business though - all about costs. Not a good situation - profit and care :no:

The nurse (practitioner) told me that the bandages stay off when the skin previously under the nail has toughened up. Might be a while yet.

whyme - I can't even get jeans on :( I'm wearing an old pair of jogging bottoms. Most undignified when going out - look like an escapee from a home :D I have these plastic sandals with a velcro strap - I wear them when outside.

Paul K
03-06-2005, 07:51
whyme - I can't even get jeans on :( I'm wearing an old pair of jogging bottoms. Most undignified when going out - look like an escapee from a home :D I have these plastic sandals with a velcro strap - I wear them when outside.
Could be the next big look :p: You might even pull wearing that ensemble lol Best not go shopping in any supermarkets yet, you know what people are like with trolleys :erm:

greencreeper
03-06-2005, 09:09
Could be the next big look :p: You might even pull wearing that ensemble lol
:D Would have to be someone very weird to go for this look :erm:

Best not go shopping in any supermarkets yet, you know what people are like with trolleys :erm:
I know - and pushchairs. I'm ultra protective of the toes at the moment :ninja:

Graham
03-06-2005, 12:55
Best not go shopping in any supermarkets yet, you know what people are like with trolleys :erm:
I'm ultra protective of the toes at the moment :ninja:

Get some steel toe-capped boots! Not only will they protect your toes, but you can boot the hell out of their trolley and make it go all wonky! :D

Jules
03-06-2005, 13:14
What Graham said is not a bad idea you can even get trainers with them now...I know I got my son some for when he went back to school......get your self down to the market when you are mobile again Green :)

Graham
03-06-2005, 13:27
you can even get trainers with them now...I know I got my son some for when he went back to school......

Blimey! Tough school is it?? :disturbd:

danielf
03-06-2005, 13:35
Get some steel toe-capped boots! Not only will they protect your toes, but you can boot the hell out of their trolley and make it go all wonky! :D

Ah, I fondly remember my DMs with steel toe-caps. I set off metal detectors everywhere :)

Jules
03-06-2005, 13:38
Blimey! Tough school is it?? :disturbd:

Lol no he had both his toe nails removed and i got him them to protect his toes when he went back :)

Nugget
03-06-2005, 13:54
Lol no he had both his toe nails removed and i got him them to protect his toes when he went back :)

Alright, now I know I'm ready for a holiday!

I've just read that as 'i got him them to protect his toes when they went black' :dunce:

There was me thinking that it was probably a little too late :disturbd:

Salu
03-06-2005, 14:22

Of course you have to balance this protection up with letting air circulate to the toes. Air will aid healing whereas wearing shoes (especially those that don't "breathe" well) will delay it. Even bandages do this but they protect from infection. It's all about balance....

Did they warn you about the constipation from the Kapake? :p:

greencreeper
03-06-2005, 15:17
Did they warn you about the constipation from the Kapake? :p:
They did :) I've borrowed my mate's garden hose :D

My feet are left uncovered, save for bandages, when I'm in the house. They feel hot at the moment - the air cools them.

MovedGoalPosts
03-06-2005, 17:23
They did :) I've borrowed my mate's garden hose :D

Too much information :Sprint:

allieyoung666
03-06-2005, 18:52
I just think you need some Laxatives not colonic irrigation!!!!!!!

greencreeper
03-06-2005, 18:59
Too much information :Sprint:
:jk:

I'll invest in a few tins of beans and some orange juice, if needs be :D

greencreeper
06-06-2005, 18:53
Well I've been to see the nurse, as arranged last Thursday. There was some yucky brown stuff seeping through the dressings, so I figured that would be enough to get some antibiotics, but no chance. I went in and she had no idea why I was there - off to a good start. She worked at her computer whilst I took the dressings off - no chance of her doing it. The smell nearly floored me but the nurse said that the toes don't smell infected and they look how they should look. Hmmm. I explained that they were infected prior to the nails being removed, which prompted her to have a go at the surgeon for removing the nails whist the toes were infected. Hmmm. I don't see how an infection can vanish overnight just because the source of the infection (the nail) has been removed, but the nurse didn't want to know. The dressings were changed and she then told me that in future I would have to pay for the dressings - 4 items at £6.00+ an item :Yikes: It's the modern NHS - focus is on profit and costs rather than health and care. So I'm investigating whether it would be cheaper to buy the dressings over the counter. I may as well change them myself if I'm paying for and removing the dressings. I wonder how much it would cost the NHS if I didn't bother having the dressings changed and I needed to spend time in hospital due to a bone infection?

Disgrace :(

Chimaera
06-06-2005, 19:02
That's disgraceful!! When I needed dressings after my hospital stay I wasn't even given the choice - I was just told to get some from Tesco. But they are cheaper than getting a prescription - and you can choose your own size (ie one that fits properly, not the smallest they can get away with, that sticks to the wound and causes all sorts of problems when you peel it off! :Yikes: )

MovedGoalPosts
06-06-2005, 19:04
It's only when you actually need and use the NHS that you realise how bad the system has become. Where on earth has all the extra money gone that Blair's cronies claim to be injecting. Not on the front line, but extra backroom beurocrats and to pay off ever larger pensions and other such carp. :mad:

greencreeper
06-06-2005, 19:06
That's disgraceful!! When I needed dressings after my hospital stay I wasn't even given the choice - I was just told to get some from Tesco. But they are cheaper than getting a prescription - and you can choose your own size (ie one that fits properly, not the smallest they can get away with, that sticks to the wound and causes all sorts of problems when you peel it off! :Yikes: )
This is the problem. First off, on goes this thin dressing that has holes in that feels sticky but isn't. Comes from a purple coloured packet. No idea what that is. Next, on goes an iodine soaked pad. Then the toe and half the foot is wrapped in a adhesive bandage from Activa. The hospital gave me a cheapo version of the thing with holes called "Jelonet" but it's not the same thing. I can get bandages easy enough - but the iodine pads and thing with holes??

MovedGoalPosts
06-06-2005, 19:08
A decent chemist would be able to order in and supply, if you knew what you want. But how long it takes to get them :shrug:

Ramrod
06-06-2005, 19:14
greencreeper...........change the dressings twice a day and try dressing the wound with manuka honey each time (cleaning it off and reapplying each time)
It helped my dads diabetic leg infections heal after all else had failed.

greencreeper
06-06-2005, 19:17
A decent chemist would be able to order in and supply, if you knew what you want. But how long it takes to get them :shrug:
Yes - I spoke to my local chemists but they couldn't help without knowing the exact names. "Holey thing in a purple packet" is a little tricky to order :D I think I'm going to have to get a script, then cost it up. I've been researching on the Internet but I need images.

greencreeper...........change the dressings twice a day and try dressing the wound with manuka honey each time (cleaning it off and reapplying each time)
It helped my dads diabetic leg infections heal after all else had failed.
Ta for the info.

It's basically a case of waiting for the skin under the nail, currently all soft and sticky, to go hard. Could take a while. The toes don't hurt me that much anymore, which is good, but the bandages drive me nuts - some nights I get this strong urge to remove them. Weird :erm:

Ramrod
06-06-2005, 19:18
link (http://www.worldwidewounds.com/2001/november/Molan/honey-as-topical-agent.html) to some science stuff re honey and wound healing :)

greencreeper
06-06-2005, 19:26
link (http://www.worldwidewounds.com/2001/november/Molan/honey-as-topical-agent.html) to some science stuff re honey and wound healing :)
Ta :) I have a tube of honey stuff for my skin. I actually use various products and alternate between them. Smells nice.

Salu
07-06-2005, 10:37
Well I've been to see the nurse, as arranged last Thursday. There was some yucky brown stuff seeping through the dressings, so I figured that would be enough to get some antibiotics, but no chance. I went in and she had no idea why I was there - off to a good start. She worked at her computer whilst I took the dressings off - no chance of her doing it. The smell nearly floored me but the nurse said that the toes don't smell infected and they look how they should look. Hmmm. I explained that they were infected prior to the nails being removed, which prompted her to have a go at the surgeon for removing the nails whist the toes were infected. Hmmm. I don't see how an infection can vanish overnight just because the source of the infection (the nail) has been removed, but the nurse didn't want to know. The dressings were changed and she then told me that in future I would have to pay for the dressings - 4 items at £6.00+ an item :Yikes: It's the modern NHS - focus is on profit and costs rather than health and care. So I'm investigating whether it would be cheaper to buy the dressings over the counter. I may as well change them myself if I'm paying for and removing the dressings. I wonder how much it would cost the NHS if I didn't bother having the dressings changed and I needed to spend time in hospital due to a bone infection?

Disgrace :(

I think that this nurse has advised you badly. The surgeon had already, correctly prescribed Antibiotics. Removing the nail and debriding the infected tissue will help with the infection but I would imagine that the toe would have been pretty inflammed (red, tight almost shiny skin) with peripheral infection backing down proximally from the nailbed (??) That is why the surgeon prescribed you them. OK, he forgot to give you them but the nurse/following up practitionner should have continued prescribing them. The pad she put on was probably an antiseptic pad rather then being an antibiotic soaked one, but I may be wrong...

Infected toes DO smell she is completely wrong about this. Firstly toes smell as we all know and secondly we all know that dead rotting tissue smells don't we? Bizarre...She is also wrong to say that the surgeon should have waited until the infection had cleared up before removal. Infected toenails are immensely difficult to clear infection from. They are the furthest away from your heart for blood circulation, the blood supply is poor, your toes are riddled naturally with bacteria and fungus. etc etc. Surgeons have to incise infected areas and debride tissue in order to clear infection all the time as Antibiotics have not worked.

Jelonet is paraffin based and is reasonably none adhesive which is what you need. The dressing may be Mepitel, which is silicone based? Silocone is the most non adhesive dressing we have...may be another brand though...and can be expensive...

I would book in with your GP and ask him for some antibiotics, Flucloxacillin or if you are allergic to penicillin then Erythromyocin. It depends on how infected the toe still is as to whether you should be on them now. PM me a picture if you wish? At the end of the day it is opinion that will decide on whether you should start them now or not.....

When the infection has gone down and any wounds healed I would bathe them and let the air get to them as much as you can..

[end of clinic]....lol

Maggy
07-06-2005, 11:34
Ach! I really must stop coming back to this thread..It's making me feel very,very queasy.I'm only subscribed because my daughter has the same problem.. :(

Roy MM
07-06-2005, 11:40
Would they not put Inadine on the infected toe?

greencreeper
07-06-2005, 12:00
I would imagine that the toe would have been pretty inflammed (red, tight almost shiny skin) with peripheral infection backing down proximally from the nailbed (??)
Yes - from roughly 5mm down from the nail bed edge, to the tip of the toe is purple. There's a marked colour change.

The pad she put on was probably an antiseptic pad rather then being an antibiotic soaked one, but I may be wrong...
Yes. It was just patient speak she was using on me. At my time of life you're never certain whether people are being nice, or to trust instinct and not trust anyone :D She was referring to the iodine pad, methinks.

Infected toes DO smell she is completely wrong about this. Firstly toes smell as we all know and secondly we all know that dead rotting tissue smells don't we? Bizarre...
Yeah. I've lived with the toes for years so I know that they're not right. She was saying that they don't smell infected but I think they do. Logic tells me that the infection won't vanish overnight.

She is also wrong to say that the surgeon should have waited until the infection had cleared up before removal. Infected toenails are immensely difficult to clear infection from. They are the furthest away from your heart for blood circulation, the blood supply is poor, your toes are riddled naturally with bacteria and fungus. etc etc. Surgeons have to incise infected areas and debride tissue in order to clear infection all the time as Antibiotics have not worked.
Yeah - the source of the infection is the nail. It's like giving antibiotics to someone with a wood splinter in their hand - just no point until you remove the source.

Jelonet is paraffin based and is reasonably none adhesive which is what you need. The dressing may be Mepitel, which is silicone based? Silocone is the most non adhesive dressing we have...may be another brand though...and can be expensive...
Yes - I found a picture last night on a website. It's weird how sometimes you recognise something but don't fully process the information. I was thinking that the feel of the dressing was familiar somehow. Silicone. Don't like the sound of "expensive" :erm:

I would book in with your GP and ask him for some antibiotics, Flucloxacillin or if you are allergic to penicillin then Erythromyocin. It depends on how infected the toe still is as to whether you should be on them now. PM me a picture if you wish? At the end of the day it is opinion that will decide on whether you should start them now or not.....
I was toying with the idea. The problem is that he would need to see the toes - not sure how they'd be re-bandaged. GP isn't going to do it. I'm allergic to penicillin, the cephalosporins, and erythromyocin :(

When the infection has gone down and any wounds healed I would bathe them and let the air get to them as much as you can..
I'm looking forward to it - cool water on them would be lovely. I usually do pad round the house in bare feet - feels odd to have them covered all the time.

[end of clinic]....lol
Ta :)

Would they not put Inadine on the infected toe?
They put a dressing (pad) on the toe that contains iodine, yes.

allieyoung666
07-06-2005, 13:33
It is an inadine dressing, you can get those over the counter, Jellonet you can get over the counter, as you can get mepore {the nice sticky fabric tape}, if you do not fancy mucking around with bandages, just get a mepore dressing {medium size} and cut it to size and then apply use the tape as extra security. If you take the dressings to the pharmacisit he can offer you alternative ones, and you can buy them seperately as well. And keep it elevated as it will reduce the swelling!

zoombini
07-06-2005, 14:50
Don't play football for a while :D

greencreeper
07-06-2005, 17:22
:D Well I don't normally, but like I said earlier - being a long, long time since I kicked anything :(

Jules
07-06-2005, 17:34
Get the stuff from the chemist Green it is far cheaper and also you only need to bandage the toe as the bandage serves no purpose being on the foot, use a circular bandage with one of those plastic thingys to put it on with and tape it on round the bottom of your toe :)

nffc
07-06-2005, 17:34
I could barely walk after the last time I played... I hadn't worked that hard in a game in ages :(

greencreeper
07-06-2005, 17:39
Get the stuff from the chemist Green it is far cheaper and also you only need to bandage the toe as the bandage serves no purpose being on the foot, use a circular bandage with one of those plastic thingys to put it on with and tape it on round the bottom of your toe :)
It does keep the foot warm :D

I could barely walk after the last time I played... I hadn't worked that hard in a game in ages :(
Yes - I usually walk to work and I'm a bit worried that, by the time I can walk normally again, I'll be too out of condition to walk very far without puffing and wheezing and turning purple :erm: :D

Jules
07-06-2005, 17:44
It does keep the foot warm :)

Which would be a valid reason if it was winter lol

I hope they start to get better soon it can be a while though :(

nffc
07-06-2005, 18:05
It does keep the foot warm :D

Yes - I usually walk to work and I'm a bit worried that, by the time I can walk normally again, I'll be too out of condition to walk very far without puffing and wheezing and turning purple :erm: :D

Slight difference with playing footie for 90 mins etc etc, especially with practically naff match fitness...

greencreeper
10-06-2005, 20:27
Saw the nurse again tonight - nurse practitioner so she has more idea of what she's talking about. The smell (bit like wet dog) is dead skin apparently. Oh lovely :sick: The toes are getting too hot and sweaty so she's reduced the bandaging down to a Mepore sticky dressing with Iadine underneath. I've to change them when I get a bath. I'm under orders to ensure said toes are "bone dry" before applying the dressings. We need a saluting emoticon on CF :erm: :D Will have to buy more dressings - I bath each day. Next Friday should be the last time I see her - she thinks the toes are doing well, which is good. I'm pretty much fully mobile, though still guarding the toes. The joint in the left toe aches like hell :(

Watch this space for gruesome photos :D

paulyoung666
10-06-2005, 20:58
<snip>

gore , luvly :D :D :D

homealone
10-06-2005, 21:05
Saw the nurse again tonight - nurse practitioner so she has more idea of what she's talking about. The smell (bit like wet dog) is dead skin apparently. Oh lovely :sick: The toes are getting too hot and sweaty so she's reduced the bandaging down to a Mepore sticky dressing with Iadine underneath. I've to change them when I get a bath. I'm under orders to ensure said toes are "bone dry" before applying the dressings. We need a saluting emoticon on CF :erm: :D Will have to buy more dressings - I bath each day. Next Friday should be the last time I see her - she thinks the toes are doing well, which is good. I'm pretty much fully mobile, though still guarding the toes. The joint in the left toe aches like hell :(

glad the toes seem to be healing well - I'm also quite intrigued about you wanting to 'salute' the nurse - and it wasn't even morning, or you might have had a glorified excuse ;) :D

Jules
10-06-2005, 21:14
Green to dry your toes before putting the dressings on use a hair dryer on the cool setting :)

greencreeper
10-06-2005, 22:06
glad the toes seem to be healing well - I'm also quite intrigued about you wanting to 'salute' the nurse - and it wasn't even morning, or you might have had a glorified excuse ;) :D
I think I'm missing something :erm: It was the fact that she repeated several times the instructions to dry the toes well. I only need telling once.

Green to dry your toes before putting the dressings on use a hair dryer on the cool setting :)
:shocked: Funny you should say that - the nurse said, "Do you have a hair dryer" and I thought, "What's wrong with my hair?". Turned out she meant for the toes :D I don't as it happens. No comb neither but you can't use a comb on toes so no loss there. I've some lint-free swabs I can gently dry with.

Maggy
10-06-2005, 22:09

Ok! Time for me to unsubscribe. :disturbd: :Sprint:

dilli-theclaw
10-06-2005, 22:10
Can't be any worse than seeing me in a nightie.

greencreeper
10-06-2005, 22:12
Panic not Coggy - I will post a link to the pic(s) rather than upload them. It gives folks time to hide behind something big and soft, such as the husband/boyfriend :D

Maggy
10-06-2005, 22:16
Can't be any worse than seeing me in a nightie.

Well that's scary not disgu...no come to think of it maybe you are right... ;)

greencreeper
10-06-2005, 22:16
Well that's scary not disgu...no come to think of it maybe you are right... ;)
:rofl:

Jules
11-06-2005, 16:39
Damn I miss every thing I never saw him in a nightie!

Don't get drunk today Green and bang your toes will you lol

Happy birthday

allieyoung666
11-06-2005, 17:49
Oh great PM the piccies to me and then I can add them to my collection!!!

dilli-theclaw
11-06-2005, 17:54
Damn I miss every thing I never saw him in a nightie!

Don't get drunk today Green and bang your toes will you lol

Happy birthday

Only a select few have seen me in a nightie.

Chimaera
11-06-2005, 17:55
Only a select few have seen me in a nightie.
Nah - haven't I seen that pic posted somewhere on the forum? ;) :Yikes:

dilli-theclaw
11-06-2005, 17:56
Nah - haven't I seen that pic posted somewhere on the forum? ;) :Yikes:

The picture WAS briefly on my profile - until it was complained about :)

allieyoung666
11-06-2005, 17:57
OHHH I bet that is quite a fetching sight seeing Dilly in a nightie;)

ian@huth
11-06-2005, 17:58
Only a select few have seen me in a nightie.That's what you think. ;) Haven't you seen www.havealookatdilligaf1701inanightie.com :D :D :D :D

dilli-theclaw
11-06-2005, 17:59
That's what you think. ;) Haven't you seen www.havealookatdilligaf1701inanightie.com (http://www.havealookatdilligaf1701inanightie.com) :D :D :D :D

My sercret is out :)

Now I'm going to stop commenting as we are supposed to be discussing ingrown toenails - which are MUCH more interesting.

allieyoung666
11-06-2005, 18:00
I see men in nighties all the time!!!! And I must admit some of them suit it! And that includes Paul!!!!

greencreeper
11-06-2005, 18:38
I see men in nighties all the time!!!!
<Allie highlights the dangers of prescription painkiller abuse> :p:

I'm as sober as a judge, which probably isn't that sober given todays judges :D The toes are doing well - changed the dressings this morning but didn't have time to take pics. I will do that tomorrow. The part of my left foot where the toes connect is very tender - can't put full weight on it. I guess it's due to walking oddly for more than a week.

greencreeper
12-06-2005, 01:21
My mate managed to buy me some extra Inadine and Mepore dressings - £18 for 14 of each :Yikes: He neglected to mention I have two toes that need dressing, so the 14 dressings are only a week's supply :dozey: Should be enough though.

Back to work Monday :cry:

Jules
12-06-2005, 11:51
I hope you have a job were you can wear open toed footwear cause I doubt you will be able to get shoes on not to mention the pain :(

greencreeper
12-06-2005, 12:23
I managed to get a pair of soft socks on yesterday, and my boots went on easily, but I can't wear them for work. I'm planning on trying my work shoes and seeing how they feel. They don't exactly hurt do the toes - just the odd twinge now and then, but after walking to the chemist and back (few hundred yards) yesterday, they were aching. Like I said, the left foot is tender where the toes attach. Toes have also started itching, which is driving me nuts. Obviously can't scratch so I just gently rub the sides and underneath - seems to help. The part where the nail was is still very tender.

I'll post pics in a mo :D Assuming the cam works :erm:

Kaz61
12-06-2005, 12:28
Cotton Buds!!

aren't they good for a wee scratch?? nice n soft

greencreeper
12-06-2005, 12:30
Cotton Buds!!

aren't they good for a wee scratch?? nice n soft
True, but at the moment the toes are a fluff-free zone :D Still a bit sticky :sick:

Kaz61
12-06-2005, 12:35
Ah!!! nuff said :disturbd:

What happens next??? do the nails grow back?

greencreeper
12-06-2005, 12:36
Ah!!! nuff said :disturbd:

What happens next??? do the nails grow back?
Yes - takes about 6 months apparently. I've to monitor them - may go ingrown again.

Kaz61
12-06-2005, 12:39
Isn't it as easy as simply cutting nails straight (across) rather than curved?
I had slight inflamation once due to part of nail growing in....but once snipped and nails cut straight....no more probs.

Jules
12-06-2005, 12:50
Sad to say Kaz no it isn't always the case my son had his done and they have regrown inwards seems to run in our family

greencreeper
12-06-2005, 12:54
Isn't it as easy as simply cutting nails straight (across) rather than curved?
I had slight inflamation once due to part of nail growing in....but once snipped and nails cut straight....no more probs.
Yes - but it depends on how far gone the nails are. Mine were so deeply ingrown into the skin (left nail sometimes grew through the toe) that I couldn't trim them. When this happens, the only option is too remove the nail. They started in my teens, when I didn't pay much mind to how I cut my nails :)

...and as whyme says - sometimes the nail just keeps growing back ingrown :shrug:

Kaz61
12-06-2005, 13:16
Ye kinda knew it couldn't be that simple........best o' luck anyway

Sad to say Kaz no it isn't always the case my son had his done and they have regrown inwards seems to run in our family

Ye as I say I really should have known it was over simplifying the matter, mate o' mine had same probs and he showed us his toes........what a mess (lovely shade o' green in there though) however if it wasn't his toes giving him jip it was his piles :shocking:

greencreeper
12-06-2005, 13:49
My cam is pretty dire but you can make out that this is a toe:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dwarfinleopardskin/img/toe.jpg

Jules
12-06-2005, 15:29
I have to say that looks very sore Green

Raistlin
12-06-2005, 15:49
How are your feet doing gc?

greencreeper
12-06-2005, 16:04
They're alright. The left one has developed a sore patch on it, but otherwise they're healing pretty well, methinks. Takes ages to dress them - have to cut the dressing into a T shape, then cut the Inadine dressing in half and fold the halves in half, apply a half to each toe, followed by the T dressing, which wraps round and over the toe. That's only after thoroughly drying each toe with the hair dryer and swabs. Oh and a length of micropore holds the dressing together - stops it coming off, which it nearly did Friday night in bed, on the left toe. Had to get up and make emergency repairs with a bit of bandage.

It's nice to be able to walk (well, sort of half limp) without any major discomfort :)

Raistlin
12-06-2005, 16:05
Glad they're on the mend then :tu:

allieyoung666
12-06-2005, 16:09
Hi greenie, try and let the air get to it for a couple of hours each day and this will help the healing process, when do you go back to see the nurse??? It looked okay by what I saw on the picture swelling looked normal and it didnt look red or angry, let time do its thing.

greencreeper
12-06-2005, 16:14
Hi greenie, try and let the air get to it for a couple of hours each day and this will help the healing process, when do you go back to see the nurse??? It looked okay by what I saw on the picture swelling looked normal and it didnt look red or angry, let time do its thing.
Yeah - I leave them to air for a while after bathing, but not too long otherwise I'm liable to forget :dozey: I've reached that age where you find the milk in the cupboard and the coffee in the fridge and you can't figure out how they got there. Ta for the informed opinion :) They are less purple. It might sound daft, but I can't really remember what a normal toe looks like :o

greencreeper
18-06-2005, 16:01
Saw the nurse on Friday - she thinks the toes are doing well, but a small part of each toe hasn't quite gone pink yet. I feel like a pork chop :D So I've to keep up with the bandaging. Nurse was impressed at my skill in wound dressing - "very professional". I knew I'd missed my calling in life :p: I'm letting a bit of air get to them at the moment, with it being so hot.

18 days since the operation and still healing - sheeeeesh. The nurse said that in 6 months I'll have nails like Godzilla - all bumpy and ridged. Upto 18 months after that the nail will look normal - but may be ingrown :rolleyes:

Salu
18-06-2005, 21:35
Saw the nurse on Friday - she thinks the toes are doing well, but a small part of each toe hasn't quite gone pink yet. I feel like a pork chop :D So I've to keep up with the bandaging. Nurse was impressed at my skill in wound dressing - "very professional". I knew I'd missed my calling in life :p: I'm letting a bit of air get to them at the moment, with it being so hot.

18 days since the operation and still healing - sheeeeesh. The nurse said that in 6 months I'll have nails like Godzilla - all bumpy and ridged. Upto 18 months after that the nail will look normal - but may be ingrown :rolleyes:

Glad to hear that they are on the mend.

They will be ridged only if the nail matrix has been damaged. You'll have to wait and see. It may take up to 18 months for the nail to grow back. 6 Months is a little optimistic in my experience. That's more for a fingernail..

MovedGoalPosts
18-06-2005, 21:47
Nice to see you are making progress.

Not sure about the 18 months bit. In my case (as posted befgore: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showpost.php?p=484373&postcount=29) the nail had grown back sufficiently to need pulling again in less than a year, and I only had one foot causing a problem, let along the two you have :eek:

greencreeper
18-06-2005, 23:26
They will be ridged only if the nail matrix has been damaged. You'll have to wait and see. It may take up to 18 months for the nail to grow back. 6 Months is a little optimistic in my experience. That's more for a fingernail..
Right. Long wait ahead then :D

Not sure about the 18 months bit. In my case (as posted befgore: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showpost.php?p=484373&postcount=29) the nail had grown back sufficiently to need pulling again in less than a year, and I only had one foot causing a problem, let along the two you have :eek:
You never mentioned I'd be clung to the table whilst yelling and swearing in agony :cry:

I'm hoping they grow back normal - I'll be at the chiropodist ASAP at the first sign of problems. No way am I going through the procedure again, even under general.

Angua
18-06-2005, 23:29
My mate had hers permanantly removed and has no trouble at all with them (they do look a bit odd especially in the summer with a tiny bit of nail varnish on, not a problem you would have I suspect).

greencreeper
18-06-2005, 23:31
I tend to just do my fingernails, Angua :D

MovedGoalPosts
19-06-2005, 02:36
You never mentioned I'd be clung to the table whilst yelling and swearing in agony :cry:

I'm hoping they grow back normal - I'll be at the chiropodist ASAP at the first sign of problems. No way am I going through the procedure again, even under general.

Sorry it was in my innocent youth, I didn't have a foul mouth then :angel:

I was told the yank the nail off procedure has a very low rate of success as it doesn't really address what is causing the curvature (could be shoe styles, the way you walk, all sorts really). Hence the procedure I finally had, which has worked, and compared to those who have nails permanently removed, it doesn't looks so disfigured unless you look closely.

greencreeper
19-06-2005, 11:33
Sorry it was in my innocent youth, I didn't have a foul mouth then :angel:
Hmmmm.

I was told the yank the nail off procedure has a very low rate of success as it doesn't really address what is causing the curvature (could be shoe styles, the way you walk, all sorts really). Hence the procedure I finally had, which has worked, and compared to those who have nails permanently removed, it doesn't looks so disfigured unless you look closely.
Ta for the use of the word "disfigured" :cry: I'm desperately hoping it won't come to having to have them ripped off permanently :mis:

Ramrod
29-06-2005, 08:59
That would have been something called a pilonidal sinus op. This is when something goes wrong with a hair follicle. The hair ingrows for want of a better explanation. The follicle and hair are removed which leaves a hole. The hole is packed and allowed to grow from the base outwards.Missed this thread (i was abroad)
Every year I get one or two new patients presenting to my clinic with this condition (well it's a pain in the back innit?).....sometimes they have even been to their GP who has (without examining the area) has just given them painkillers/antiinflams and told them to go away :rolleyes: ..........so they come to me, I pull down their trousers to look at the bit that hurts and see an angry looking pustulent boil staring back at me! :disturbd:

Salu
29-06-2005, 09:44
It just goes to show that you have to examine and not treat blind. Doctors treat back pain very badly as I'm sure you'll testify Ramrod

Chris
29-06-2005, 09:48
Missed this thread (i was abroad)
Every year I get one or two new patients presenting to my clinic with this condition (well it's a pain in the back innit?).....sometimes they have even been to their GP who has (without examining the area) has just given them painkillers/antiinflams and told them to go away :rolleyes: ..........so they come to me, I pull down their trousers to look at the bit that hurts and see an angry looking pustulent boil staring back at me! :disturbd:

I had one of these a few years ago and had to go under the knife to have it rectified. Not being able to sit down properly for 2 weeks afterwards was no joke, I can tell you!

Chrysalis
29-06-2005, 09:50
can ingrowing toenails cause foot spasms and nullness?

Salu
29-06-2005, 09:57
can ingrowing toenails cause foot spasms and nullness?

If you mean spasms and numbness then no they can't.

Can you describe the problem more?

Ramrod
29-06-2005, 10:31
It just goes to show that you have to examine and not treat blind. Yep, the most innocuous symptoms can turn out to be serious and visa versa :disturbd:

Chrysalis
29-06-2005, 13:17
Problem is uncontrolled muscle movement in foot usually big toe twitching and when walking foot going very weak sometimes a spasm during walking occurs which is very painful and can stop all movement. Numbness occuring at random times but if when walking usually makes it very hard to lift the foot up.

Salu
29-06-2005, 15:43
Problem is uncontrolled muscle movement in foot usually big toe twitching and when walking foot going very weak sometimes a spasm during walking occurs which is very painful and can stop all movement. Numbness occuring at random times but if when walking usually makes it very hard to lift the foot up.

Could be a number of things from too tight footwear or muscle damage to a problem in your neck. I would advise you to see your GP! :)

Ramrod
29-06-2005, 16:01
Could be a number of things from too tight footwear or muscle damage to a problem in your neck. I would advise you to see your GP! :)Yup......you need a full neurological exam and then (in an ideal world) and possibly MRI of any areas of interest highlighted by the scan........

How long have you had these symptoms?
Any idea what started them?
Are they getting worse?

Just re-read your post........where is the numbness? Is it on top of your foot or underneath?

Chrysalis
29-06-2005, 21:49
This has been going on for just over 18 months and the GP knows about it, the physio has given a diagnosis of a stretched ligament which was caused by me improperly walking for my entire life. This is on both feet. I have also had a mri scan and electrical nerve test and am due for my follow up appointment for the results in september and yes it is getting worse.

Ramrod
29-06-2005, 22:07
This has been going on for just over 18 months and the GP knows about it, the physio has given a diagnosis of a stretched ligament which was caused by me improperly walking for my entire life. This is on both feet. I have also had a mri scan and electrical nerve test and am due for my follow up appointment for the results in september and yes it is getting worse.Sticking my neck out here--It sounds like you are flat footed (stretched ligs on the soles of your feet give you pronated feet resulting in 'improper walking')
The only thing that I can think of that would give you numbness and pain like you describe (coming from a foot problem rather than your spine) is tarsal tunnel syndrome...............disclaimer: I haven't examined you in person :D

Chrysalis
30-06-2005, 12:14
ok from http://www.footphysicians.com/print_info.php?id=10

Symptoms:
Pain, numbness, burning and electrical sensations may occur along the course of the nerve, which includes the inside of the ankle, heel, arch and bottom of foot. Symptoms are usually worsened with increased activity such as walking or exercise. Prolonged standing in one place may also be an aggravating factor.

Dont know if its burning but I do get worse when walking and if standing on one spot for long time, I can usually only walk a decent distance when I first get up in the morning and from that point on in the day it gets weaker.

I have also done a lot of repetitive work in the past such as factory work.

Firther info, Initially my right foot was fine had no symptons and my left foot just had spasms following from pins and needles, this gradually worsened to where I am now 18 months later with my left foot getting spasms even when lying down I can sit there watching my big toe twitch up and down, my right foot doesnt get these kind of spasms but will feel very heavy when walking with toes hanging down. On rare occasions I get pain and tightness up the back of my legs below knee level. When this last happened I needed painkillers.

Ramrod
30-06-2005, 12:26
ok from http://www.footphysicians.com/print_info.php?id=10

Symptoms:
Pain, numbness, burning and electrical sensations may occur along the course of the nerve,....... You can get any mix of those symptoms and don't have to get all of them. but will feel very heavy when walking with toes hanging down. That sounds like 'foot drop' which is caused by(amongst other things) L5 nerve root injury in the lumbar spine/common peroneal nerve injury at the side of the knee/compartment syndrome in the calf/ various neurological conditions. On rare occasions I get pain and tightness up the back of my legs below knee level. When this last happened I needed painkillers.That sounds like your calves are getting 'tight'

With a history of 18 months you probably now have multiple problems in the area...............you need a proper neurological and physical examination to determine exactly what's really going on.

Shame you're nowhere near my neck of the woods.........

Chrysalis
30-06-2005, 12:51
well my GP thinks I am putting it on now because I am young, so if the neuro people find nothing I oonly have the support of my physio.

You sound liek you know what you talking about and I appreciate your feedback I might mention these to my GP and see how he reacts.

Salu
30-06-2005, 13:00
Sticking my neck out here--It sounds like you are flat footed (stretched ligs on the soles of your feet give you pronated feet resulting in 'improper walking')
The only thing that I can think of that would give you numbness and pain like you describe (coming from a foot problem rather than your spine) is tarsal tunnel syndrome...............disclaimer: I haven't examined you in person

Nice giraffe impression btw Ramrod....

I would agree with your thoughts though although without a full history and exam anything said here, Chrysalis, should be treated with caution.

It sounds like you have some plantar faciitis too which has caused the tarsal tunnel syndrome. This is the stretched tendon that the physio was talking about. The fact that it is in both feet suggests local rather than referred (radicular) symptoms.

Chrysalis, have you been advised about orthotics, ie insoles? A podiatrist would be a good person to see. Also has anyone put you on anti-inflammatory drugs? Ibuprofen, Voltarol for eg?

You should be able to get your results before then. You GP should get a copy about 14 days after the tests. Even if your follow up is not until September, if your GP can pass on the diagnosis from the tests he may well recommend a podiatrist (chiropodist who specialises in foot mechanics).

Do you have any other tingling symptoms elsewhere in your body?

Ramrod
30-06-2005, 13:14
You sound liek you know what you talking about and I appreciate your feedback I might mention these to my GP and see how he reacts.Thanks, I examine/treat this kind of stuff for a living :D
Careful how you mention this to your GP as it can really p*ss them off to be told stuff like this by a patient.
Salu has good advice there about the orthotics as well--a quick cheap option can be to go to Boots and get a pair of 'orthaheels' (http://www.orthaheel.co.uk/index.html) arch supports for about £20.... ..I have known patients to be more comfortable with those than with a pair of £200 custom made ones.........

Nice giraffe impression btw Ramrod....It's terrible this attempted diagnosis by internet thing.......very frustrating and fraught with possible c*ck-ups :(

Chrysalis
01-07-2005, 15:17
Sorry I didnt mention this before. Yes I got some insoles for my shoes to force the feet into correct posture although it makes the spasms worse when they happen as there is no room for movement inside the shoe. Concerning my GP I guessed its not the best thing to do to suggest things to him, I have been researching on the net etc. but so far just been accepting what he has been telling me, but his recent comments have upset me and I have been considering changing GP because (a) he seems out of ideas of what could be wrong (b) he seems to no longer trust what I tell him and tells me to stop putting it on.

I was on I think inflammatory medication when this started, I cant remember if it was anti inflammatory or inflammatory. Celebrex 200mg tablets I still have some left.

I wish my GP did reffer me to a foot specialist but so far he hasn't. I will be seeing him again this month and will ask if he has the results of the tests if not I will have to wait until sept.

Salu
01-07-2005, 15:42
Sorry I didnt mention this before. Yes I got some insoles for my shoes to force the feet into correct posture although it makes the spasms worse when they happen as there is no room for movement inside the shoe. Concerning my GP I guessed its not the best thing to do to suggest things to him, I have been researching on the net etc. but so far just been accepting what he has been telling me, but his recent comments have upset me and I have been considering changing GP because (a) he seems out of ideas of what could be wrong (b) he seems to no longer trust what I tell him and tells me to stop putting it on.

Were the insoles made following the assessment of your gait and taking plaster casts of your whole foot? If they were over the counter then I would think that they would be useless as yours appears to be a less straightforward case with nerve compression.

I was on I think inflammatory medication when this started, I cant remember if it was anti inflammatory or inflammatory. Celebrex 200mg tablets I still have some left.

I am surprised at the choice of drug. That is usually for arthritis sufferers unless you were given it because of allergy or stomach ulcer problems....there are many other non-steroidal drugs of choice available.

I wish my GP did reffer me to a foot specialist but so far he hasn't. I will be seeing him again this month and will ask if he has the results of the tests if not I will have to wait until sept.

You may need to source a podiatrist locally then. You GP would probably only refer you to an orthopaedic surgeon unless he had a local agreement with a podiatrist.
It sounds like seeing another GP would be advisable. Is there another in the practise? If not then look elsewhere.

One thing you could try is phoning the reception and asking "if my results are back yet" they may well tell you this over the phone. Surprising as it sounds. Failing that you could ask for a telephone appointment where the GP phones you back. You may well get another GP phoning back then.

Ramrod
01-07-2005, 15:46
I wish my GP did reffer me to a foot specialist but so far he hasn't. I will be seeing him again this month and will ask if he has the results of the tests if not I will have to wait until sept.Get that referral asap
Salu asked if you get numbness anywhere else on your body.......

Salu
01-07-2005, 15:48
True. I'd forgotten that.

Answer quickly as I am going on holiday for a week tonight...

Ramrod
01-07-2005, 16:39
Have a nice time Salu..................where you off to ?

Chrysalis
02-07-2005, 17:19
Sorry wasnt at home overnight and this morning, have fun on your holiday Salu.

The insoles were the result of an examination by my physio who reffered me to someone to get them fitted, my feet were put in a box that had some sort of sponge in so they were melded for my feet, I presume this is what you was talking about. I am guilty of not wearing these insoles all the time tho.

Regarding the celebrex, I have none of the allergies you mention so the only person who knows the reason I was prescribed them is my gp.

I do get occasional and its very occasional numbness or pins and needles in my left hand, it doesnt usually affect anything tho maybe just slight pain.

The bad thing for me is he is the only GP in the surgery there is a nurse but if I want to see another GP I will have to ring around.

Ramrod
02-07-2005, 20:16
I do get occasional and its very occasional numbness or pins and needles in my left hand, it doesnt usually affect anything tho maybe just slight pain.Do the left hand symptoms come on at any paticular time? eg in bed.......?
--Thats probably the best way of getting custom insoles apart from having a foot scan.

allieyoung666
02-07-2005, 20:22
It sounds more a neuro problem, we had a patient in a while ago with the same problem and it turned out he had suffered nerve damage. I do hope that it isnt that as they tried to stimulate the foot with a tens machine, which made the guy worse. Have you ever thought of asking to see a plastic surgeon, as that is who Paul goes to see for his leg as he has suffered nerve trauma.

Ramrod
02-07-2005, 20:31
It sounds more a neuro problem, we had a patient in a while ago with the same problem and it turned out he had suffered nerve damage. Thats why I thought of tarsal tunnel syndrome (if the problem is local to the foot) :(

allieyoung666
02-07-2005, 20:33
It could be, but there are so many nerves in the foot where to you start?? I wonder if they have loss of sensation, or temporal loss, and what part of the foot is affected??

Ramrod
02-07-2005, 20:46
and what part of the foot is affected??Thats a good point, I did ask where the numbness is on the foot Chrysalis but, looking back, you didn't say..............

allieyoung666
02-07-2005, 20:51
Sounds like he needs to be on neutronin, which would control the pins and needles. if it is genralised it would be hard to detect, in one place would be easier to treat.

Ramrod
02-07-2005, 21:48
Sounds like he needs to be on neutronin, which would control the pins and needles.Trouble is that it would have a body wide effect when the problem is probably localised to one (small) area.
btw.....I thought he was a she :confused: :D

paulyoung666
02-07-2005, 21:50
Trouble is that it would have a body wide effect when the problem is probably localised to one (small) area.
btw.....I thought he was a she :confused: :D

he is a she , she is a he :shrug: , they dont half work though :tu:

Ramrod
02-07-2005, 21:53
he is a she , she is a he :shrug: , they dont half work though :tu:In your case.......pop all the pills you want :(
..........did you have very extensive nerve injury?

paulyoung666
02-07-2005, 21:54
In your case.......pop all the pills you want :(
..........did you have very extensive nerve injury?

yes i did , in the lower half of my right leg , it will never be right :(

Ramrod
02-07-2005, 22:17
yes i did , in the lower half of my right leg , it will never be right :(Foot drop?

Chrysalis
03-07-2005, 13:33
Im a he.

Hard to say which part of the foot it occurs in when I get the pain during walking it is somewhere at the bottom of the foot under the arch I think, possibly on the outer side. I have a lot of people telling me all I need is exercise which gets very annoying considering when I do walk it is painful and slow and can be somewhat embarrasing limping at my age.

The hand numbness usually only occurs when I am using the pc for a long time so I am not sure if its related or not.

Ramrod
03-07-2005, 21:59
Im a he.Now why did I think you were a she? :disturbd:

Hard to say which part of the foot it occurs in when I get the pain during walking it is somewhere at the bottom of the foot under the arch I think, possibly on the outer side.Next time you get it badly try to remember where it is.......and let us know

The hand numbness usually only occurs when I am using the pc for a long time so I am not sure if its related or not.Probably not related to the foot problem..........

greencreeper
03-07-2005, 22:38
Now why did I think you were a she? :disturbd:
The same question has occupied my mind for some time. I think certain words are assumed to be of a particular gender, though I've no idea why. I also think the closeness of a word to a known name (Crystal), may also play a part. Tis odd.

Chrysalis
04-07-2005, 11:57
Chrysalis was a she in starcraft. :) and generally is related to 'she' I like starcraft which is why I chose the nick.

Salu
19-07-2005, 23:33
How's the toes now Green?

(I'm not asking if the toes are green btw..) :)

greencreeper
20-07-2005, 00:28
How's the toes now Green?

(I'm not asking if the toes are green btw..) :)
They're alright Salu - thanks for asking :) No sign of the nails yet, and the skin is sort of rough and dry. Bit flakey too. Not that pleasant really :disturbd: