PDA

View Full Version : Insuring a car you don't own, not as stupid as it sounds

imcneill
30-05-2005, 22:16
Hi There,

I am going down to the car dealer tomorrow to pick up a new focus that I am gifting the use of to my Girlfriend. I have a car of my own, in my own insurance. She has traded in her car part ex-change and I have provided the balance to purchase the new car. Now the problem. The new car is registered to me, which suits me fine, I'm quite happy to give her sole use and access to the car, but I want to keep control of the asset. But having asked an insurance company, apparently she can not insure the car under her own name, as it isn't hers. As I already said, I have my own car and insurance, so to insure a 2nd car in my name, I'd have to start that car of with 0 no claims.

She has her own insurance, max no claims, but apparently can't insure the car. Anyone gone thru this before? It appears if you buy a car for someone elses sole use, that person can't insure it ! Apparently this would not be a problem if we were married or even living together as partners.

Tricky
30-05-2005, 22:21
Try a different insurance company - I have done this in the past albeit about 8 years ago (Insurance at the time was with Priviledge)

Roy MM
30-05-2005, 22:34
Fully comp on your insurance any vehicle you own named drivers only over 25 yrs old, shouldn't be a problem

Raistlin
30-05-2005, 22:37
Hi There,

I am going down to the car dealer tomorrow to pick up a new focus that I am gifting the use of to my Girlfriend. I have a car of my own, in my own insurance. She has traded in her car part ex-change and I have provided the balance to purchase the new car. Now the problem. The new car is registered to me, which suits me fine, I'm quite happy to give her sole use and access to the car, but I want to keep control of the asset. But having asked an insurance company, apparently she can not insure the car under her own name, as it isn't hers. As I already said, I have my own car and insurance, so to insure a 2nd car in my name, I'd have to start that car of with 0 no claims.

She has her own insurance, max no claims, but apparently can't insure the car. Anyone gone thru this before? It appears if you buy a car for someone elses sole use, that person can't insure it ! Apparently this would not be a problem if we were married or even living together as partners.

Remember that the name/address on the registration documents is only the registered keeper and that the registered keeper is not necessarily the registered owner.

Why not transfer the car into her name, but have a document drawn up and signed by both of you that states that you retain ownership?

purenuman
30-05-2005, 22:40
Hi There,

As has been said try somewhere else as most aren't this picky.

Perhaps they mean the car should be registered in her name before they will allow her to insure it??

If it is being used by her the log book should be in her name. Being the registered keeper (your name on the log book) does not mean you own the vehicle it simply means you are the keeper of the vehicle. A logbook is not proof of ownership......

A receipt is the only proof you need to prove you own the vehicle and you should register it in her name if she is going to use it.

Paul
30-05-2005, 22:46
I insure a car, in my name, that I don't own (the lease company owns it). Mines with the AA. :)

allieyoung666
30-05-2005, 22:50
Mine is insured with Norwich union [which is also lease to], they were totally cool when I asked Paul to be added and they did it for only £40!

Nidge
30-05-2005, 23:25
Hi There,

You can insure a car you don't own with loads of companies. Lease cars are a fine example.

bb31
31-05-2005, 00:30
You can insure a car you don't own with loads of companies. Lease cars are a fine example.

lease/hire cars are the only example............you cant insure something that you dont own.

purenuman
31-05-2005, 00:39
lease/hire cars are the only example............you cant insure something that you dont own.

Ownership of a vehicle does not matter!!!

If you are the keeper of a vehicle you can insure the vehicle!

I have owned several vehicles at the same time and lent them to friends or family and they have insured them quite legally.......

ian@huth
31-05-2005, 00:44
I can't remember ever being asked if I am the owner of a car that I want to insure. I have insured cars on several occasions before I owned them and that doesn't include cars bought on HP where you don't own the car until the final payment has been made.

Insurance companies are more interested in the person who is the main user of the vehicle insuring it than the owner.

Nidge
31-05-2005, 05:45
I can't remember ever being asked if I am the owner of a car that I want to insure. I have insured cars on several occasions before I owned them and that doesn't include cars bought on HP where you don't own the car until the final payment has been made.

Insurance companies are more interested in the person who is the main user of the vehicle insuring it than the owner.

You will be asked if you are the owner of the vehicle when you fill your schedule out weather it be over the phone or in a brokers office.

SMHarman
31-05-2005, 10:35
The key requirement of any insurance contract is that you have an insurable interest in the thing you are insuring. This changes insurance into insurance and away from gambling (say by taking out a 1 year life policy on your neighbours 85 yr old granny).

The example stated above clearly indicates she has an insurable interest, especially if you draw up a document saying the car is loaned and in the event of loss or damage you expect full restitution.

On that basis most companies will provide her cover. It would also help (possibly) if the registered keeper / owner is on the policy, she is certainly the beneficial owner of the asset, even if she is not the owner.

Try churning the details through confused.com see what comes out.

Angua
01-06-2005, 11:24
Your girlfriend should be the one to insure the car as she will be the main driver (also as she has her own no claims to hang on to). I have never been asked about who the registered keeper was but there again all the cars we have ever had have been in my name.
There are plenty of insurance companies out there on the web, but it may be worth a trip to a brokers to get this sorted face to face.

ian@huth
01-06-2005, 11:59
You could always try insuring the car through one of the online insurance companies. You can always back out of the process before actually being commited to it if the premium is too high or cover not adequate.

Janusian
02-06-2005, 22:59
The key requirement of any insurance contract is that you have an insurable interest in the thing you are insuring. This changes insurance into insurance and away from gambling (say by taking out a 1 year life policy on your neighbours 85 yr old granny).

The example stated above clearly indicates she has an insurable interest, especially if you draw up a document saying the car is loaned and in the event of loss or damage you expect full restitution.

On that basis most companies will provide her cover. It would also help (possibly) if the registered keeper / owner is on the policy, she is certainly the beneficial owner of the asset, even if she is not the owner.

Try churning the details through confused.com see what comes out.

This is absolutely right, but the further factor with car insurance is what happens when the car isn't being driven, and it has an accident (the old handbrake fail scenario), then the registered owner will be liable. But in this scenario they aren't insured.

I cannot really see any other solution other than either transferring the ownership, or insuring in your name.

Angua
03-06-2005, 10:18
This is absolutely right, but the further factor with car insurance is what happens when the car isn't being driven, and it has an accident (the old handbrake fail scenario), then the registered owner will be liable. But in this scenario they aren't insured.

I cannot really see any other solution other than either transferring the ownership, or insuring in your name.

Main problem is the "main" driver must be the first person on the insurance.:(

purenuman
03-06-2005, 11:37

This is getting quite complicated when really it's quite simple.......

You can insure a car you do not own.........

The car will be covered in exactly the same way a vehicle you own would be.....

If you are the keeper of a car even if you do not own it you MUST have the car registered in your name so the Police or other authorities can get hold of the person who uses it if they need to. They do not want to have the owners details connected to the reg number if the owner does not use the car.

Being the registered keeper of the car and having your name on the logbook does not mean you own the car...... The proof of ownership is a receipt/payment details......

The insurance company may have meant that they would not insure her in the vehicle if it was not registered in her name as the registered keeper should be the main user......

Janusian
03-06-2005, 12:07
Main problem is the "main" driver must be the first person on the insurance.:(

Not strictly true, as long as you let the insurer know that someone other than the policy holder is the main driver, then you should be OK. They will probably rate on them rather than the policyholder.

Being the registered keeper of the car and having your name on the logbook does not mean you own the car...... The proof of ownership is a receipt/payment details.....

So what happens if the car is stolen. The insurance company pays the policyholder, but they haven't lost anything as the car wasn't theirs. So they have made a profit from the Insurance policy, which insurance law states you cannot do. (The only exception being new for old on a household policy). You have to have an insurable interest (i.e. ownership or financial interest) in the thing you are insuring. As far as the law is concerned the legal owner is the name on the log book.

Maybe the way round this is to transfer the ownership to her, but draw up a legal contract to note your interest and right of recall.

orangebird
03-06-2005, 12:18
Hi There,

Either start trusting your girlfriend and register her as the keeper (as it states on the V5, the registered keeper is not neccessarily the legal owner of the car), or take the hit on the insurance and take the policy out in your name. :shrug: That's the choices you have. I'm not quite sure why that takes up two pages of a thread? :erm:

purenuman
03-06-2005, 13:01
So what happens if the car is stolen. The insurance company pays the policyholder, but they haven't lost anything as the car wasn't theirs. So they have made a profit from the Insurance policy, which insurance law states you cannot do. (The only exception being new for old on a household policy). You have to have an insurable interest (i.e. ownership or financial interest) in the thing you are insuring. As far as the law is concerned the legal owner is the name on the log book.

You have lost as you owe somebody a car :rolleyes:

You are insuring yourself against loss so you would be paid and you can't compare motor insurance with other forms as motor insurance is a legal requirement.

As far as the law is concerned the legal keeper is named on the logbook..... Not the owner. Read a logbook...

The registered keeper is not necessarily the vehicle's legal owner

I have owned several vehicles that have been registered and legally insured (fully) by friends and family.......