PDA

View Full Version : Been waiting for this to come out on DVD for ages...

Lew
24-09-2003, 16:42
At last! :D

Shame it's region 1 only at the moment...

http://www.playusa.com/playusa.asp?page=title&r=R1&title=124879

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2003/09/3.jpg

Special Features Complete miniseries on five discs with remastered sound "The Making of Shogun" a 13-segment documentary 3 historical perspective featurettes Commentary by director Jerry London on select scenes ...and more!

What better way to escape from the onslaught of so-called reality television than to sail away with Richard Chamberlain to the 'Japans' for a little samurai action and some discreet 'pillowing'? In his award winning perfomance, Chamberlain stars as John Blackthorne, the 17th century English navigator on a Dutch trading ship. A storm runs the ship aground off the coast of Japan, a 'torn and cruelly divided country' locked in a power struggle between Toranaga and Ishido, two warlords who would be Shogun. Blackthorne gets over his initial culture shock to become a trusted ally of Toranaga and the lover of the beautiful interpreter Lady Mariko. Their forbidden, ill-fated romance is set against political intrigue as Toranaga prepares for the inevitable showdown with Ishido, and Blackthorne's growing influence threatens the local Jesuits who had built up a lucrative trade monopoly

Lord Nikon
24-09-2003, 17:58
And what DVD player do you have? I will see if it can be made multi region so you CAN play it....

Lew
24-09-2003, 17:58
ProLine DVD1000 (already hacked to region-free)

Lord Nikon
24-09-2003, 18:04
so no problem then :D may be R1 but you can still play it lol

Lew
24-09-2003, 18:08
Yeah, I just prefer R2 discs where possible (except where the R1 disc has better extras).

Jerrek
25-09-2003, 07:04
My DVD player is zone 1 and I don't think it can be changed... Not that I've ever tried or researched it. We don't get other zone DVDs here.

Lord Nikon
25-09-2003, 07:27
name the make and model Jerrek and I will find out if it can...

Thing is.... the R1 DVDs are far better than R2..... ours lack extra footage, some deleted scenes, and are overpriced (some are over $30 for a DVD which isn't even a special edition, not to mention they are released 6 months after the R1 counterpart)

Lew
25-09-2003, 08:36
Originally posted by Jerrek
My DVD player is zone 1 and I don't think it can be changed... Not that I've ever tried or researched it. We don't get other zone DVDs here.

You may be able to change the region but you will still be restricted to playing NTSC discs. Because PAL is a higher resolution than NTSC it can be made to play the lower resolution NTSC signal (most modern PAL TVs can handle the 60Hz screen refresh). Making a lower resolution NTSC set play a PAL signal would be much more difficult (a bit like trying to make a computer monitor with a mac resolution of 1024x768 display an 1152x864 signal. It just won't work). The situation may be different with an HDTV set though as they run at 1280x720 and 1920x1080 so they should easily be able to handle the 720x576 and 1024x576 of PAL and Widescreen PAL.

Jerrek
25-09-2003, 21:23
We get Matrix Revolutions two days before you do. :p :D