PDA

View Full Version : Network question

Roy MM
29-05-2005, 23:25
My son has a network connection in his bedroom, do i need my PC running to maintain his connection? running from a network card?

purenuman
29-05-2005, 23:32
My son has a network connection in his bedroom, do i need my PC running to maintain his connection? running from a network card?

If your PC is connected to the modem and his PC is networked to yours.... Yes.

If you are both connected to a router..... No.

Roy MM
29-05-2005, 23:38
Cheer i'll get a router

Raistlin
29-05-2005, 23:40
Might be worth considering a wireless router and some wireless cards for the hardware. Would save you trailing cables all over the house....

danielf
29-05-2005, 23:45
^^ what he said... Go wireless. The Linksys WRT54G is a very popular choice

Raistlin
29-05-2005, 23:46
^^ what he said... Go for the WRT54G :)

purenuman
29-05-2005, 23:48
What they said :)

Chris W
30-05-2005, 00:15
^^ what he said... Go for the WRT54G :)

unless of course you want a router that performs well under pressure.... trying to use p2p software on any more than 3 computers connected to it and it has a spassy fit and falls over... the firmware "updates" are crap... made the problem even worse.

for normal use this router is fine, but if you want to push loads of traffic through it you will see a sulking router and random dropouts.

danielf
30-05-2005, 00:22
unless of course you want a router that performs well under pressure.... trying to use p2p software on any more than 3 computers connected to it and it has a spassy fit and falls over... the firmware "updates" are crap... made the problem even worse.

for normal use this router is fine, but if you want to push loads of traffic through it you will see a sulking router and random dropouts.

errrrm, ok... Great post... But the one thing that seems to be lacking from it is the suggestion for an alternative...

Edit: There's only two machines connected to mine, and it's been rock solid so far.

Raistlin
30-05-2005, 00:25

Not had any problems with mine, but then I've only got the two machines connected (as in the scenario the OP is suggesting).

I'm a fairly heavy user of P2P (strictly for legal purposes, obviously) and spend a lot of time on the 'net - hasn't let me down yet.

Any suggestions for an alternative that might serve the OP (and anybody else reading this) a bit better?

Chris W
30-05-2005, 00:33
errrrm, ok... Great post... But the one thing that seems to be lacking from it is the suggestion for an alternative...

Well if the OP is not going to be bothered about the problems mentioned the yeh i would recommend the WRT54G, but for hardcore users either a Linux box as a firewall (lacking the wireless option in the case of the RedHat box running ipcop that we had until it exploded), a cisco router, or for someone with lots of money then a 3com 5231 been recommened to me although i haven't tried it myself.

Paddy1
30-05-2005, 01:45
Also, If you decide to go wired, that cable from your pc to your sons pc will not work with a router. Its a crossover cable whereas you need a straight one.