PDA

View Full Version : New Car help

HornetUK
28-05-2005, 23:38
Hello

I purchased a new car on 7/5/05, noticed on 21/5/05 that the sill and door met each other & 1 inch of paint missing. On further inspection this side looks joined together different to passenger side. Told dealer they said will book into bodyshop for repairs. On mention of bodyshops I took it to 3 for indy view. Got quotes for £500 & it involves removing doors, wing lights etc on drivers side and refitting in right place. As I think this is unacceptable for a new car I sent a letter of rejection & full refund request & threatened court. Dealer now has car for bodyshop inspection & has said I will receive a full report of whats wrong with car, dealer quite adament that they will repair car, I have said I want it back in current condition with report so that I can consider if I will take court action. Awaiting news next week on what they find and when I'll get car back.

Anyone know what cahnces are in court, I have to go to normal County Court as over £5k so costs & losing are a risk.

Cheers

AndrewJ
28-05-2005, 23:42
Thats insane is the car is new surely the maker will have a warranty surely on this sort of thing.

What car is it?

hoggyspuds
28-05-2005, 23:45
Please don't say it's a Renault!!

Please don't say it's a Renault!! I'd say you'd have a good case there....trade descriptions act etc...

Nidge
28-05-2005, 23:47
Hello

I purchased a new car on 7/5/05, noticed on 21/5/05 that the sill and door met each other & 1 inch of paint missing. On further inspection this side looks joined together different to passenger side. Told dealer they said will book into bodyshop for repairs. On mention of bodyshops I took it to 3 for indy view. Got quotes for £500 & it involves removing doors, wing lights etc on drivers side and refitting in right place. As I think this is unacceptable for a new car I sent a letter of rejection & full refund request & threatened court. Dealer now has car for bodyshop inspection & has said I will receive a full report of whats wrong with car, dealer quite adament that they will repair car, I have said I want it back in current condition with report so that I can consider if I will take court action. Awaiting news next week on what they find and when I'll get car back.

Anyone know what cahnces are in court, I have to go to normal County Court as over £5k so costs & losing are a risk.

Cheers

If your not happy with the goods you can demand your money back under the sale of goods act, this applies to cars and most other things. If it's brand new the dealer must change your car or refund you the money you paid.

AndrewJ
28-05-2005, 23:59
Or is it new to you but bought 2nd hand?

purenuman
29-05-2005, 00:08
If all else fails....

The quickest resolution is usually to park the car legally as near to the dealers forecourt as possible with notices in all the windows explaining what has happened. Stick to the facts and don't insult the dealership in any way or offer your opinion...... just the facts as they happened.

It puts buyers off...........

They can't have you moved if you are parked legally and sticking to the facts means they can do nothing....... apart from sit it out or resolve the issues to your satisfaction.

Most crack in under an hour :D :angel:

hoggyspuds
29-05-2005, 00:10
If all else fails....

The quickest resolution is usually to park the car legally as near to the dealers forecourt as possible with notices in all the windows explaining what has happened. Stick to the facts and don't insult the dealership in any way or offer your opinion...... just the facts as they happened.

It puts buyers off...........

They can't have you moved if you are parked legally and sticking to the facts means they can do nothing....... apart from sit it out or resolve the issues to your satisfaction.

Most crack in under an hour :D :angel:

LIKE IT!!!! :D

purenuman
29-05-2005, 00:16
LIKE IT!!!! :D

It works very well against the "I'm afraid it's the best I can do"

And usually very very quickly.

HornetUK
29-05-2005, 08:35
Its brand new. I want my money back, under rejection you have to cease using car, thats only part thats stopping me putting signs in and leaving outside dealer! Still I don't actually know when its coming back from 'inspection'

Its a FIAT!!!

allieyoung666
29-05-2005, 08:59
thats strange as my brother has a stilo and he is modifying it up, he found when he removed the rear number plate there was 4 extra holes were they had misjudged. He took it back the the dealership and showed them . at first they would not do a thing, so the threatened court and they said they would do it as it was their fault. But there has been a catalouge of problems:
his sunroof leaks
his GPS had to be replaced 4times
his turbo charger has bust twice andthe computer kept shuting everything down. But I do not have a problem with mine and it is the exact model as my brothers.
The banner thing isnt a good Idea as you could end up in prison, write a nice letter the managing director of the dealership and to Fiat uk. All they will probally do is replace it or repair it, is it under their finance scheme??? As it is it would cost you more to get out of it, sorry. But good luck though

purenuman
29-05-2005, 09:43
Its brand new. I want my money back, under rejection you have to cease using car, thats only part thats stopping me putting signs in and leaving outside dealer! Still I don't actually know when its coming back from 'inspection'

Its a FIAT!!!

Get in touch with Fiat UK (if you haven't already) and explain how this dealer is treating you............... Most manufacturers don't like dealers giving their brand a bad name but then again some are worse than the dealers. Worth a try though.

Email (with pictures of the damage/fault) Watchdog, Topgear, Local radio consumer prog, etc...... Anything that won't cost you as even if you win in court you may still have huge costs that you can't recover...

When all else fails consider the parking outside option before going to court because it usually does the trick, especially if you are only toooo willing to show people the fault on the 'New' car as they are considering buying one.
Get it trailered/towed there if you can but if not any court should (no guarantee :shocked: ) understand why you did it and discount it's use as accepting the car as you were trying to resolve the problem.

You could even get a few friends to pretend they were shopping for a new car and had encountered you and get them to ask why you were being apparently so badly treated loudly (but nicely) in front of others, make them squirm.

You can loose them thousands in sales over a couple of days and most dealers would cut their loses and come to an arrangement..........

It really does work (No Guarantees of course), I've seen it in action.

The banner thing isnt a good Idea as you could end up in prison.

:rofl: :rofl:

What would the charge be??

Writing in a stroppy manner?? Assault with a deadly sulk??

It is perfectly legal and I can't believe you think it would be an offence to stand up for yourself.......

As long as you stick to the facts and park the car legally there is nothing at all that anybody can do to stop you. Just as they couldn't stop you meeting and greeting all their potential customers and saying "before you consider a car from here would you like to see what they sold me and now they blah blah........."

If it is being purchased on finance the consumerââ‚à ƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s contract will be with the finance company. Have you told them of the fault and the fact you are rejecting the car?? If not do so.

As the car will be under warranty 'The Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders' may be able to assist.

allieyoung666
29-05-2005, 11:05
Disturbance of the peace for starters, causing an obstruction is another. I have already told him to do that, write or even email if you do not fancy snail mail

purenuman
29-05-2005, 11:18
Disturbance of the peace for starters, causing an obstruction is another. I have already told him to do that, write or even email if you do not fancy snail mail
But you would not be disturbing the peace or causing an obstruction.

If you were using a megaphone to read the sign out 'disturbing the peace' would be possible but how would a silent sign and talking to people be 'disturbing the peace'??

Any obstruction caused by people crowding round the car (very unlikely) would be the crowds fault not the car you had parked. All the police could do is make the crowd move on. If your car is parked legally nobody can make you move it.

What I am suggesting is a perfectly legitimate way of dealing with the problem.......

allieyoung666
29-05-2005, 11:53
But sometimes these things have a habit of turning nasty thats all I am saying bud.

purenuman
29-05-2005, 12:09
But sometimes these things have a habit of turning nasty thats all I am saying bud.

Errrrrrr yeah I supose.......... it's not the way to do things if you can't control yourself :D

If you can though it's fine :D