PDA

View Full Version : I Bought a 'Switch'. Was it a mistake ?

obvious
28-05-2005, 12:22
My network looks like this
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/paulhanlon/wifi2.jpg
DLINK DGS-1005D Switch (http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=229) with a INEXQ HR054G AP (http://www.hexus.co.uk/content/reviews/review.php?dXJsX3Jldmlld19JRD02NTMmdXJsX3BhZ2U9Mw= =) attached to it.

There's a straight cat5 coming from the switch to the main pc and a crossover going from the switch to the AP.

My laptop has 802.11b wireless. The PC has no wireless.

I've been trying to use this kit to create a network where the wired pc doesn't need to be switched on in order for the laptop (PC1 in the picture) to be connected but where both computers can be powered up at the same time and still have net access.

My thoughts went along the lines of :-

1. Enable DHCP client on the AP so that it will grab an IP from NTL
2. Enable DHCP server on AP so that it will farm out IP's to anything connected.

but if I select "use dhcp client to automatically get IP address" then it says "selecting this option will disable your DHCP server automatically".

I've been able to get either a wireless internet connection to my laptop OR a wired internet connection to my main PC but not both at the same time.

I only have one NIC.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks a lot
Paul :)

BTW, as per the Title, I'm wondering if a 'switch' wont pick up an IP from ntl and I should have bought a router instead? :confused:

danielf
28-05-2005, 12:30
<snip>

BTW, as per the Title, I'm wondering if a 'switch' wont pick up an IP from ntl and I should have bought a router instead? :confused:

I believe that is correct (you should have bought a router), but I'm sure someone who actually knows will be around shortly.

TheBlueRaja
28-05-2005, 12:31
Unless your access point has an ethernet port in the back of it I cannot see how it can be done, the problem here is that NTL will only give you one IP address, and therefor you can only run one PC off the back of it.

Ideally if your AP had an ethernet port on the back of it you would just plug your switch into the AP and then run your PC2 off the switch. Your PC1 and PC2 should then get a private IP address from your AP vis DHCP on the AP and your AP should get the one NTL assigned IP address.

A router would have been a better buy, something like the Linksys WRT54G, would have been a great "all round" solution for you.

EDIT: The problem you have is that the first device that powers on will get the NTL assigned IP address, after that the other one is left wanting as NTL will only give out one - to get two you need to have a router which will act as a gateway between your Home "private" network and the Internet.

ScaredWebWarrior
28-05-2005, 12:37
My thoughts went along the lines of :-

1. Enable DHCP client on the AP so that it will grab an IP from NTL
2. Enable DHCP server on AP so that it will farm out IP's to anything connected.

but if I select "use dhcp client to automatically get IP address" then it says "selecting this option will disable your DHCP server automatically".

To get your network to work you have to have a DHCP server. If the AP has DHCP server capability, then use that for your home network. In this case the AP should not be a DHCP client.

Then point any PCs to the AP for their DHCP.

A switch won't pick up an IP address from anywhere - it just relays traffic.

My setup is very much like yours, except I have a Belkin router/switch - which incorporates the DHCP server - I have direct connected computers on 2 ports, and an WAP on one port.
As long as the router/switch is on the home network is up & running.

obvious
28-05-2005, 12:44
Ideally if your AP had an ethernet port on the back of it you would just plug your switch into the AP and then run your PC2 off the switch. Your PC1 and PC2 should then get a private IP address from your AP vis DHCP on the AP and your AP should get the one NTL assigned IP address.

The AP does have an ethernet port which is how it is connected to the switch. Does this help me at all?

EDIT: the way I have it connected at the moment seems to be exactly what you are suggesting but I dont think the AP can be an upstream DHCP client and a downstream DHCP server at the same time.

SWW, thanks for the clarification on routers vs switches

ScaredWebWarrior
28-05-2005, 12:49
The AP does have an ethernet port which is how it is connected to the switch. Does this help me at all?

SWW, thanks for the clarification on routers vs switches

Your setup should work IF your AP can be a DHCP server AND if it will allocate private network addresses.

Beware that your setup is wide open to port scanners etc.

One of the advantages of a router/switch it that most of them incorporate a firewall.

obvious
28-05-2005, 12:51
Thanks - As EDIT above I dont think the AP can be an upstream DHCP client and a downstream DHCP server at the same time.

So I guess my best option is to sell the switch and the AP and get a combined wireless router?

Paul
28-05-2005, 12:54
A wireless router would be the most sensible option, esp as most have four switch ports in them as well.

Richard M
28-05-2005, 12:57
I would keep the switch TBH, it's cheap and a handy thing to have around.
I run a setup like this:
Switch -> 3 computers & router/DSL modem
I use static IP addressing on the LAN and I also have a static IP on the internet - all works perfectly.

obvious
28-05-2005, 13:34
What about this one (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=45002&item=5777711766&rd=1)? The seller lives nearby so if its suitable I might ask him for a Buy-It-Now

Paul K
28-05-2005, 13:36
Never really had much luck with Belkin networking equipment but hopefully someone who has used that router will be able to advise you on it better than I can.

Jez
28-05-2005, 14:17
Never really had much luck with Belkin networking equipment but hopefully someone who has used that router will be able to advise you on it better than I can.

That's what I've used for almost a year now - very much 'plug and play' installation, and will replace both the switch and the access point. Just remember to check the price new, as they're not all that expensive! :)

obvious
28-05-2005, 16:06
That's what I've used for almost a year now - very much 'plug and play' installation, and will replace both the switch and the access point. Just remember to check the price new, as they're not all that expensive! :)

Thanks - I've seen them new for around £40 + P&P

obvious
31-05-2005, 20:07
Dont want to get it wrong this time. I guess I could just get a BEFSR41 (http://www.linksyssales.co.uk/linksys/store/isokart_viewItem.asp?idProduct=8) and keep my existing 11g Access Point?

Raistlin
31-05-2005, 20:12
You might be better spending the extra tenner and going wireless (in case you expand things in the future):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00008DOYO/qid=1117566659/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/026-0586941-4057200

Don't forget to use the Foum's Amazon link if you buy from them as the Team will then get a comission which can be put towards paying for keeping this place open.

obvious
31-05-2005, 20:13
You might be better spending the extra tenner and going wireless (in case you expand things in the future):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00008DOYO/qid=1117566659/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/026-0586941-4057200

Don't forget to use the Foum's Amazon link if you buy from them as the Team will then get a comission which can be put towards paying for keeping this place open.

I already have a wireless access point (see first post). Just need to confirm that it should be fine for my needs with a BEFSR41

Paul K
31-05-2005, 20:15

He's already got a wireless access point, dunno whether buying a wireless router is worth it. I suppose it makes things less cluttered with his setuo :shrug: Personally I'd rather have as few things to go wrong as possible so I'd get the wireless router but that's just me ;)

Raistlin
31-05-2005, 20:16
Sorry :dunce: should have re-read the posts before opening mouth.

The router you've linked to should do the trick :tu:

obvious
31-05-2005, 20:18
Hehe no worries. Thanks for the advice.

danielf
31-05-2005, 20:32
He's already got a wireless access point, dunno whether buying a wireless router is worth it. I suppose it makes things less cluttered with his setuo :shrug: Personally I'd rather have as few things to go wrong as possible so I'd get the wireless router but that's just me ;)

My thinking as well. Plus, a router would require only one socket...

Maggy
31-05-2005, 20:52
OKay.Several helpful postings in this thread.Will somone PLEASE remember to nominate in the next nominations thread?

Thanks!

Incog.

Raistlin
31-05-2005, 22:22
OKay.Several helpful postings in this thread.Will somone PLEASE remember to nominate in the next nominations thread?

Thanks!

Incog.

Well..... I would but as mine was the only helpful post in the thread and I can't nominate myself..... ;)

:jk: By the way :)