PDA

View Full Version : Need Help networking asap

grovestjedi
27-05-2005, 06:57
here is my problem.

i have 2 computers notebook and desktop. my desktop is running winxp pro and it does not have a wireless card in it. my notebook is running winxp home. and does have the wireless card. so i bought an apple airport extreme router, and plugged my modem into that, and then the router to my desktop. i cannot get an internet connection. my notebook seems to connect to the router fine but i cant connect to the internet. my isp told me the modem needs to be bridged. which i did for xbox live already, so i have to connect and disconnect. im lost and frustrated. please help

Paul K
27-05-2005, 07:16
Have you run the network setup wizard on all the PCs yet? Also did you power the modem and PCs off when first connecting them up? You need to power off the equipment, connect, power up modem, wait for lights to settle on modem, power up router, power up PCs.
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=8269&page=1 may help

grovestjedi
27-05-2005, 07:39
i will try again... i checked one of the forums on here and when it said to go to
start> run> command.com

i get an error saying

C:\WINDOWS\System32\command.com
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. the system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and microsoft windows applications. choose close to terminate the application

Paul K
27-05-2005, 07:48
try run cmd to get a more useful dos box up

grovestjedi
27-05-2005, 08:00
ok i powered down and did everything, but when i go to connect to the internet is says connecting to wan miniport then says computer doesnt respond to request.

everything works fined wired directly to the modem. i cant get a connection through the router.

Paul K
27-05-2005, 08:02
Have you tried accessing the router to make sure it is set up correctly? Sometimes cloning the MAC address of the NIC card that works with the broadband onto the router is the quick and easy way to get the connection to work through the router itself.

paulyoung666
27-05-2005, 08:03
cant someone at least :welcome: the guy , :erm: , i already have :D :D :D

dilli-theclaw
27-05-2005, 08:06
cant someone at least :welcome: the guy
What - and steal your thunder :Yikes:;):D

grovestjedi
27-05-2005, 08:12
i dont believe my desktop has a nic card.

sorry if all my questions are redundant and newbish. ive been fighting with this for 3 days now, and dont understand why it wont work.

dilli-theclaw
27-05-2005, 08:16

sorry if all my questions are redundant and newbish. ive been fighting with this for 3 days now, and dont understand why it wont work.

Your questions are not redundant - If you don't know you don't know. I often have to ask questions that are 'simple' but not to me.

I'd have had a go at trying to help you myself - but I don't know what's going on in your case.

I hope that someone much more clever than me can solve your problems :)

Good luck.

KingPhoenix
27-05-2005, 08:21
Some modems will only talk to the MAC that they were setup with, have you cloned your PCs MAC address into your router?

grovestjedi
27-05-2005, 08:29
how might i go about doing that..
:erm:

zing_deleted
27-05-2005, 08:31
i will try again... i checked one of the forums on here and when it said to go to
start> run> command.com

i get an error saying

C:\WINDOWS\System32\command.com
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. the system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and microsoft windows applications. choose close to terminate the application

please find rared version of autoexec.nt unrar and copy this into C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 folder and this should sort the above problem hopefully.Back up original first,if you do not have win rar pm me and ill email it a different way.
Try start>run>cmd instead of command .com

edit find this file in this thread http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=27796 post 14

grovestjedi
27-05-2005, 08:33
yeah i used cmd and got the ip stuff

zing_deleted
27-05-2005, 08:35
Ok blank my above post unless you have seen that error before or see it again

grovestjedi
27-05-2005, 08:38
well when i run ipconfig i get this

Ethernet adapter local area connection 3:

ip
subnet
gateway

and
PPP adapter sprint dsl
ip
subnet
gateway

now doesnt my router have to match the above ip addy? which one would i use

the ethernet adapter local area connection
or the PPP adapteR?

zing_deleted
27-05-2005, 08:43
the router will allocate IP addresses to what is connected to it.The IP of the modem will terminate at the router.Most routers ive used with cable have just worked once both modem and router have been rebooted.What settings are in the router

All your boxes are blank I take it there not in reality

I also take it your adsl,do the router settings match your isp?

grovestjedi
27-05-2005, 08:45
i just uninstalled the router software and im reinstalling it now to retry all of this.

dilli-theclaw
27-05-2005, 08:46
the router will allocate IP addresses to what is connected to it.The IP of the modem will terminate at the router.Most routers ive used with cable have just worked once both modem and router have been rebooted.What settings are in the router

All your boxes are blank I take it there not in reality

This is very true.

However my router refused to work with ntl until I'd done a full/hardware reset.

Maybe the op can try that (if he hasn't already).

Just an idea.

You may tell me off if it was a silly one.

zing_deleted
27-05-2005, 08:48

If you do not have a nic card in your desktop how does that connect to router?
you said your laptop has a wires card? can you describe how everything is connected please

grovestjedi
27-05-2005, 08:53
if this helps, im using the apple router. and under system requirements it says wifi card. but my desk top doesnt have one. i was under the impression i could still have it wired. but i cant get to the router setting from my desk top only the laptop

If you do not have a nic card in your desktop how does that connect to router?
you said your laptop has a wires card? can you describe how everything is connected please

ok i will call desktop computer A and laptop computer B

i have my desk top with no wireless capabilities what soever. so i took my pretty red ethernet cable i got with my modem and i run that to my apple airport extreme base station. then i run another cable from the base station to computer A.
computer B is completly wireless.

i can get an internet connection when both computers are directly connected to the modem.

zing_deleted
27-05-2005, 09:00
do you have a mac then?? cuz

Can I use a PC with the AirPort Extreme Base Station?

Yes. A Windows-based PC with an 802.11b or 802.11g Wi-Fi Certified wireless card can join an AirPort Extreme wireless network. The base station will need to be set in †œ802.11b/g Compatibleââ ¬Â mode for a system with an 802.11b card to join the network. Note that a Macintosh computer running Mac OS X v10.1.5 (with Networking Update) or later is required to set up the base station initially.

grovestjedi
27-05-2005, 09:04
no mac yet, 2 weeks, thats why i decided to get the apple router.
but it has a windows airport utility to configure everything. but like i said my desk top has no wifi card.

i thought it could be wired

edit: my laptop has a 802.11g network adapter.

Paul K
27-05-2005, 09:07
It can but you need to be able to connect to the LAN port on it, You will need a USB to Ethernet dongle for that I would think.
Edit
Also has USB by the look of it
Download Failed (1)

zing_deleted
27-05-2005, 09:07
Sorry I have not been able to be better help.Can you log into router with laptop then?I am totally unfamiliar with the router but does it appear to have a ethernet switch?you said modem plugs in and pc so it has to have more than just a wan port

grovestjedi
27-05-2005, 09:08
the router has a lan and wan port so i run an ethernet cable from the lan to my desktop ethernet port

Paul K
27-05-2005, 09:14
the router has a lan and wan port so i run an ethernet cable from the lan to my desktop ethernet portYep Lan feeds the comuters, WAN is the input from the modem.

Can I ask how your PC is currently connected to the modem?

Stuart
27-05-2005, 09:21
It can but you need to be able to connect to the LAN port on it, You will need a USB to Ethernet dongle for that I would think.
Edit
Download Failed (1)

I could be wrong, but I *think* the USB port on the Airport Extreme is for attaching to Printers.

Paul K
27-05-2005, 09:23
Edit
http://images.apple.com/airport/images/index_ports01132003.jpg

I could be wrong, but I *think* the USB port on the Airport Extreme is for attaching to Printers.
Looks that way from the site, nothing mentions USB connection to the PC for BB sharing. Looks like ethernet or wireless but ethernet is the easiest way to configure the settings. Nothing on the Apple site states that the USB is for anything other than connecting scanners, printers etc.

zing_deleted
27-05-2005, 09:28
Not bad having a print server though really :D

Paul K
27-05-2005, 09:31
if this helps, im using the apple router. and under system requirements it says wifi card. but my desk top doesnt have one. i was under the impression i could still have it wired. but i cant get to the router setting from my desk top only the laptop
If you can get to the settings from the laptop then that's fine, you need to bridge the connection as at the moment it is only connecting via Wireless and not by wireless and the physical connections. I just tried to get to the pdf file for the base station but it 404'ed on me :( Have you loaded up the software it came with onto the laptop?