PDA

View Full Version : Lets Fly

MadGamer
26-05-2005, 17:56
I just had a baby robbin in my dining room, quite sweet, but it pannicked a bit. I think its broken its wing by flying into the window, but i just let it out through the window and its now on the frive, calling its mother.

Quite sweet, but i was surprised.

Nemesis
26-05-2005, 17:56
Should call the RSPCA

Jules
26-05-2005, 17:58
It wont make it with a broken wing, Simon is right call the RSPCA

Ramrod
26-05-2005, 18:00
.....and while you're at it, catch it (perhaps by throwing a cloth over it) and put it in a box............

Paul K
26-05-2005, 18:02
If it's got a broken wing it needs to be looked after properly or the nearest cat will have an early supper tonight. Get it in a box as already posted, put it somewhere safe and warm, make sure there is water in the box just in case and then contact the RSPCA or local bird sanctuary for advice.

punky
26-05-2005, 18:04
The RSPCA get involved with all that do they? News to me, must cost them a fortune. If they are interested, then I guess the RSPB will be too.

Nemesis
26-05-2005, 18:05
Preferably, don't touch it directly, use a tea towel to pick it up. Keep it in a dark place.

If the mother smells Human on it, the bird will be rejected by the mother.

Chimaera
26-05-2005, 18:07
Whenever I've contacted the RSPCA about wild birds they aren't interested. A local vet might take pity on it and look at it for free? Might be worth a phone call to find out - but make sure they know you are a 'poor student' and haven't got any money! :D

Jules
26-05-2005, 18:08
The RSPCA get involved with all that do they? News to me, must cost them a fortune. If they are interested, then I guess the RSPB will be too.

I once rescued a young blackbird I rang the RSPCA and they asked if I could get it to the vets I told them I could and which vet I was taking it to and they rang the vets and told them to send the bill to them

Paul K
26-05-2005, 18:09
http://www.rspb.org.uk/birds/faqs/injuries_diseases.asp
Found an injured bird?
The RSPCA (England and Wales), SSPCA (Scotland) and USPCA (Northern Ireland) are the national charities that help and advise on sick and injured birds and animals. The RSPB does not run bird hospitals or a rescue service.
I have an injured bird in my garden, what should I do?

For most injured birds, place them gently in a box and keep them quiet, dark and cool. It may be that the bird is in shock and will soon recover so you can let it go. If it is more seriously injured, this will reduce stress on the bird until you can get advice on how you can help it.

The RSPB does not have bird hospitals or a rescue service because we are a conservation charity. The RSPCA, your local vet or a local animal rescue centre, have the expertise to help and advise you about sick and injured birds and animals.
;) :)

Stuart
26-05-2005, 18:22
Wayne, I think it would be a good idea if you took the bird to your nearest RSPCA Animal centre. Have a look at http://www.rspca.org.uk/, then click on "Your Local RSPCA" and select your area from the list.

They also have a helpline you can call, but advise you go through the stuff on http://www.rspca.org.uk/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RSPCA/Utility/ContactChecklist before you call. The enquries line is (I think) a national rate phone number, and seems to be more for reporting creulty.

MadGamer
26-05-2005, 18:29
Well the thing is i thought it had a broken wing but i think it flew off a few minutes after.

Jules
26-05-2005, 18:31
Aww I love a happy ending :)

Paul K
26-05-2005, 18:35
Well the thing is i thought it had a broken wing but i think it flew off a few minutes after.
Most likely stunned or in shock then, at least it didn't get found by any felines while it was recovering.

Tuftus
26-05-2005, 20:49
aw bless....

Halcyon
26-05-2005, 21:36
Glad all turned well in the end.