PDA

View Full Version : Router Problem

Mayne
26-05-2005, 15:04
Hi,

I have been using NTL broadband for a year now with an Edimax router. Its been running fine but the other night I had to reformat my hdd. After installing Win XP my connection seemed fine & running very nicely (i had not disconnected anything or switched of the modem). I installed SP1 then the additional updates but after rebooting my pc it coudn't connect to the internet. I unplugged the router and connected my ethernet cable directly to the modem & it now connects but at a very slow speed - takes ages for any pages to load.

I cannot get the router to work at all, although it can connect to the router configuration page.

I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to networking & think perhaps I've missed something tho its strange my internet was working fine before installing the new updates. I rolled back using system restore but it had no effect. Should I have re-installed the broadjump cd?

Any help appreciated!

Stuart
26-05-2005, 17:01
Have you rebooted the cable modem? Assuming the PC is connected, power down the PC and modem. Unplug the modem from the mains. Wait 30 seconds. Plug in the modem. Wait for the lights on the front of the modem to settle, then power on the PC. If the router is connected, do the same, but power down and up the router, not the PC.

Mayne
26-05-2005, 22:16
Thanks for your reply.

Something strange happened.

Well I had already tried your advice tho I tried it again - turned everything off then booted the modem, waited a min, powered up router, waited a min then turned on PC - nothing. I noticed the WAN light on the router wasn't lit.

I then decided to turn everything off again & power on the modem AND router at the same time. Guess what? After nearly a minute the WAN light came on. I then turned on my PC and now it connects to the internet fine!

I really don't understand computers sometimes!

Anyway, just off-topic a little... After reading some of the other threads on here I understand I don't need Broadjump on my pc..? I had re-installed it out of frustration (it didnt help!). Can I simply uninstall it using add/remove programs without it causing any problems?

Thanks again for your help.

Raistlin
26-05-2005, 22:20
Hi Mayne,

:welcome: to Cable Forum, hope you enjoy your stay here.

Yes, I would certainly suggest that you remove BroadJump.

It should be as simple as just using Add/Remove Programs, but I would give it a little while as there should be someone along soon who can confrm that for sure.

Regards,

Raist

Paul K
26-05-2005, 22:22
The broadjump software isn't necessary unless you really want to install it, it can help to diagnose problems if the user isn't confident or technically minded enough to be able to run certain commands or checks themselves. If you are happy that you can diagnose basic connection problems then you might as well not install it. It's a matter of personal choice to be honest.

Raistlin
26-05-2005, 22:55
The broadjump software isn't necessary unless you really want to install it, it can help to diagnose problems if the user isn't confident or technically minded enough to be able to run certain commands or checks themselves. If you are happy that you can diagnose basic connection problems then you might as well not install it. It's a matter of personal choice to be honest.

Paul,

It's already been installed.

Do you (or anybody else) know if there's a special way to remove it, or will Add/Remove Programs do the trick ok?

Paul K
26-05-2005, 23:00
Add/ Remove should take care of it but sometimes it's necessary to manually check the registry afterwards. If after Add/ remove programs is run (and the PC rebooted) there are any error messages then a search of the registry may be needed. I've only had problems removing it once and that was just after it was released so I'm hoping the newer versions play better with the operating system.

Raistlin
26-05-2005, 23:02
Ok, cheers.

There you go Mayne. Give Add/Remove a go and see how you get on. If you get any problems post back here and someone should be able to help you sort them.

Good luck :tu:

Paul K
26-05-2005, 23:19
What I will say though is...
if it does throw an error after it's removed and rebooted, make sure you write down what the error says as that will point to what ever has been missed by the removal program (not everything is written nicely so that everything goes peacefully when it's told to leave ;) ). If you can tell us what error message (if one happens) occurs we can tell you what to do to sort it out again.

Mayne
27-05-2005, 10:01
Thanks a lot folks! Uninstalled it using add/remove and there seems to be no problems - and its working like a dream :) . I'm just hoping my router doesn't start doing strange things again!