PDA

View Full Version : The GCSE thread

MadGamer
25-05-2005, 19:10
Well seen as i have now taken 2 exams, i just wanted to start a thread where GCSE students could get the best advice, last minute tips etc

What do you think people?

Macca371
25-05-2005, 19:12
Good Luck to everyone doing GCSEs.

eerrrr
25-05-2005, 19:16
I took them last year, and all I can say is revision's the key. You're gonna have a whole lot of spare time after the exams, so it's best to put all the time you have into revising now and leaving all those things you'd rather do till after. You'll be kicking yourself while you wait for the results if you don't! And this way, you can ease the anxiety a little by knowing you tried your best.

Having said that, taking time to relax is important too. Good luck!

punky
25-05-2005, 19:18
Use this (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showpost.php?p=460636&postcount=8) as help to revise

Eat plenty of chocolate about 30 mins before the exam begins, especally for the morning ones. The chocolate (sugar) gives you an energy rush which helps your brain work better (especially if you are tired). It takes about 30-45 mins to take effect.

Read every question at least twice.

If you are having trouble remembering formulae and the like, read them as you are going in to the exam, and as soon as the exam starts, scribble out as much as you can remember on the back of the exam paper/rough working sheet. It is a lot easier remembering something for 5 mins than 1 hour 50 mins.

Good luck with them guys.

bdav
25-05-2005, 19:25
I did my GCSE English lit today. Booooorrrrring!!!!!!! Lord of the flies. Awfull book, even worse film.

Anyways half term now.

MadGamer
25-05-2005, 19:33
The people in our school who took the Higher Tiar, did Lord of the Flies.

As for me I did "Of Mice And Men". Vey good Novel and the film is good as well.

Did English Lit today. Though i was better on the poem section

Already did my ICT Monday so that out of the way now.

Macca371
25-05-2005, 19:34
God I hated English Literature :sick: Glad I could drop it before i got to college

timewarrior2001
25-05-2005, 19:58
Dont copy me guys and Pass French and Fail English
And Pass Physics and fail maths

To be honest I messed up big time, I had to do a year of resits and saw all my mates go to Uni when I finnished year one of my A levels.

No wonder I dropped out.

But do it, It seems like real hard work but honestly you will, like me, regrett ****ing around instead of revising.

And if you dont get the grades you want, then there is no shame in re-sits, But the best advice I can really give is only do A levels if you want to go to Uni, otherwise get a modern apprenticship and be a sparky or a plumber where you can earn some decent money.

Matthew
25-05-2005, 20:01
I am on mine as well.

Monday had ICT, had English Literature today, got a Technology one tomorrow - Systems and Control then no more until the 6th of June as next week is half term.

17 more to go after tomorrow, all finished on Tuesday 28th June.

bdav
25-05-2005, 20:04

So which poetry question did you do? Drama?

I am on mine as well.

Monday had ICT, had English Literature today, got a Technology one tomorrow - Systems and Control then no more until the 6th of June as next week is half term.

17 more to go after tomorrow, all finished on Tuesday 28th June.

My sys + control is ages away. Did you do the coursework? What % did you get?

MadGamer
25-05-2005, 20:45

So which poetry question did you do? Drama? No we had a range of questions which referred to poems in the AQA Anthology

bdav
25-05-2005, 20:51
No we had a range of questions which referred to poems in the AQA Anthology

Was that the Best words one?

Electrolyte01
25-05-2005, 21:09
Good luck to all of you, had mine last year and was able to get into college with them :)

Matthew
25-05-2005, 21:25
So which poetry question did you do? Drama?

My sys + control is ages away. Did you do the coursework? What % did you get?

I have done coursework, don't know what % I got. Paper 1 tomorrow and paper 2 in a few weeks.

Maggy
25-05-2005, 22:23
Good luck to EVERY student currently sitting their GCSE's but in particular to Wayne... :tu:

As for revision..well if you haven't done any until now it may well be a little late...but not too late.Set up a loose revision time table and try to stick to it..

I also would like to remind you of this (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=27933&highlight=revision) thread and this site (http://www.darvill.clara.net/revtips.htm) in particular

MadGamer
25-05-2005, 23:33
No we had a range of questions which referred to poems in the AQA Anthology

Was that the Best words one?

No from what i remember i had to talk about

Catrin

On My First Sonne

Digging

nffc
26-05-2005, 00:04
This should be appended "A Thread for Children" lol.

GCSEs aren't too bad. Just write down what you know and make sure you answer the question.

Raistlin
26-05-2005, 00:26
I find Mind Maps very useful as a revision aid (the act of making them also helps the information to "stick" in your mind).

More info here:

http://www.mind-mapping.co.uk/index.htm

MadGamer
27-05-2005, 18:36
Had my RS exam Paper A today, my next RS exam is the last of all which is on the 22nd of June. After that no more exams yay!

Matthew
27-05-2005, 19:08
I had my Technology - Systems & Control one yesterday morning and that was it now in the school until 6th June as we are on half term next week.

Not sure what I have got on the 6th without looking but I know its one in the morning and one in the afernoon.

MadGamer
06-09-2005, 18:49
Thought i would post my results:

ICT: E:E
Science: E:E
Citizenship: E
French: D
History: D
English (Lang): D
English (Lit): D
Maths: F
RS: D (being re graded as my RS teacher noted that i was one mark off of a C)

nffc
06-09-2005, 22:10
Thought you were a year older... :erm:

Martin
06-09-2005, 22:18
God I hated English Literature :sick: Glad I could drop it before i got to college

Out of all my subjects English Lit was one of my faves! Down to my teacher Mrs Lister, god bless you wherever you maybe!! :angel: