PDA

View Full Version : Broadband Connection Problem

Garfield
25-05-2005, 11:55
Hi all,

I've recently had 1mb broadband installed at home. I've just re-formatted my PC to start fresh, and the first thing I did was to connect to Blueyonder.

I've got the PC to recognise the Motorola SURFboard modem, and assign it an IP address (after much hassle with the DHCP server) but there are further problems.

Each time I boot up the computer after being switched off for over an hour or so, the Internet connects and works fine first time. After 2 or 3 minutes, it starts timing out and no page will load.

Doing an 'ipconfig' in the command prompt shows the default gateway to be 82.35.254.1 (I think that's it - I'm trying to remember off the top of my head) but when I ping it, it either times out or pings back after 1200-1400ms!!

I can't even get the software on the CD to install...it says it can't connect to the Blueyonder network!

Any clues as to what the hell I can do will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Garfield.

thedazstar
26-05-2005, 08:28
You say after you formatted your pc you connected the broadband straight away.

Does this mean you have not installed any anti virus and firewall protection?

If this is the case your answer is there. You need to get a virus search done and makesure that your system is free of all viruses as they often cause the loss your experiancing

Garfield
26-05-2005, 09:17
How could I have gotten a virus when I've only got Windows installed on the PC? The Internet has not, at any point, worked for long enough for a virus to get near the PC, and I've not downloaded anything that could contain a virus.

:confused:

Chris W
26-05-2005, 09:26
It sounds like it could be the Welchia worm virus...

Virus scan is definately the way to go on this one! It only takes about 2 seconds for unprotected pc connected to the internet to get a virus on.

MalcUK2005
26-05-2005, 20:31
It takes a matter or seconds to get a virus or spyware on your pc these days, I once saw a article about a Sp1 machine which was connected to the internet with no protection after 20 minutes the pc had been totally taken over and was being sued to send out virus to other people.

Raistlin
26-05-2005, 20:36
Tsk Tsk - 5 posts and still no welcome.

:welcome: to CF Garfield. I hope you enjoy your stay here :tu: