PDA

View Full Version : University Personal Statements etc

scrotnig
24-05-2005, 23:43
Further to my earlier thread where I mentioned wanted to go to university part time eevnings later this year to do a law degree.

I have now found out that, although the prospectus makes much ado about 'no formal entry requirements' and 'open to all', in reality entry seems far from certain.

They are keen on some sort of previous academic experience, of which I have close to none since school. In the absence of this, they rely on both references and a personal statement to be convinced of my suitability.

One of my referees has recently completed a full time law degree themselves and will state in their reference that they think I'll be able to cope. But other than this, I have very little to go on, and they have said that they 'sometimes' require people like me to attend an 'access course' for two years first if they are not satisfied that I can cope with the demands of the course.

There's no way I'm doing an access course....these are equivalent to about four A levels, but they start off covering basic numeracy, literacy and IT skills, well sorry but there's no way I am wasting my evenings doing that, I am completely literate and numerate and I have various IT certificates. It's a waste of time, and would add two pointless years to the four years of the actual degree.

Therefore, it's imperative that I persuade the university that I can cope with the rigorous demands of a law degree in my spare time, and I only have references and the personal statement to do it...they only rarely interview candidates, if they did it would be easier because I could convey my enthusiasm, commitment and ability much better in an interview...I am always really good with those.

So, what advice can anyone offer about this? I'm not well up on university protocols and requirements, this is all quite new to me, but I'm totally aware of the workload I can expect and know that I will be fine with it and the actual subject matter. How can I convince them of this in my application?

Raistlin
25-05-2005, 00:11
Bummer!

Not sure what to suggest tbh.

I've not got this problem, OU aren't bothered about anything like that :shrug:

scrotnig
25-05-2005, 00:53
I'm not sure if this is *actually* going to be an issue, or whether I'm worrying about nothing...it could just be that they need to keep out obvious thickos and people who are just in it to get a grant and then drop out.

I'm paying for myself, though they've said this has no bearing on matters.

I know if I had an interview, I could convince them in an instant. Doing it on paper is much harder.

Robert Atkins
25-05-2005, 07:10
I'm not sure if this is *actually* going to be an issue, or whether I'm worrying about nothing...it could just be that they need to keep out obvious thickos and people who are just in it to get a grant and then drop out.

I'm paying for myself, though they've said this has no bearing on matters.

I know if I had an interview, I could convince them in an instant. Doing it on paper is much harder.

I am in the Uni business but it is very difficult to advice as I am a computer scientist. I will need to know:

*is it a Russell group Uni or not?
*How old are you?
*what have you done so far work-wise?
*what have you done so far education-wise?
*which school did you go?

etc

Halcyon
25-05-2005, 10:12
The personal statement is also about mentioning other things outside of your schooling activities. They will take this into consideration too so make sure you list all your hobbies, skills you are good at, and anything else that you have done which makes you different from the other people, or highlight ways in which you are skilled at a particular thing. Basically tell them what you like doing and why you are good at it, why you feel you are going to be succesful on this course, and how it is relevent to you.
Make sure grammar and spelling is perfect too.

bmxbandit
25-05-2005, 11:13
I'm not sure if this is *actually* going to be an issue, or whether I'm worrying about nothing...
it may well not be, but don't slack at it! probably a good introduction to the kind of work you will need to do on the course, really...

Chris W
25-05-2005, 11:27
Argh.... I remember doing my personal statement... nightmare!

Have a look here for some example statements as they might give you some inspiration as to what to use for yours.

http://personalstatement.info/search.cgi?query=law

Oh and with regard to studying law... people always tell you that it is a lot of reading... and it is a LOT of reading! I wouldn't say law was a particularly difficult subject to study, but it requires lots of time and lots of reading/ research to do well :)

shredder
25-05-2005, 12:20
try looking at these too

http://www-new.aston.ac.uk/lss/ugadmissions/personals.jsp
http://www.getintouni.com/Samples/

greencreeper
25-05-2005, 18:40
One of my referees has recently completed a full time law degree themselves and will state in their reference that they think I'll be able to cope
"think" and "cope" :disturbd: Must be more positive than that!

I think the nearest thing to a personal statement is a covering letter - you explain why you want the course and the Uni, and discuss your suitability. They are difficult to write - I may still have mine somewhere.

The problem with mature students is that their study skills are either rusty or non-existant, which is why the Uni is being tough.

scrotnig
25-05-2005, 20:00
Argh.... I remember doing my personal statement... nightmare!

Have a look here for some example statements as they might give you some inspiration as to what to use for yours.

http://personalstatement.info/search.cgi?query=law

Thanks...can't get into that one though as it's a pay site.

Anyone get any good links without a fee that i could browse?

Oh and with regard to studying law... people always tell you that it is a lot of reading... and it is a LOT of reading! I wouldn't say law was a particularly difficult subject to study, but it requires lots of time and lots of reading/ research to do well :)
Yes...I know people that have done them. Two in fact who finished last year...although these were both full time. I've not met anybody who's done the part time one yet but it's not that different apparently.

I'm aware it's going to be extremely hard work, but I'm prepared for that. A lot of thought and decision making went into this.

The university's standpoint *seems* to be, that they want me to show I am prepared and can cope, and they also want to see that I'm articulate, logical thinking, numerate, etc etc. I am all of those things, but getting them across in a personal statement is not easy. I could do it far better at an interview....but they only interview about 30% of applicants.

Having said all that, the website also states "For those aged 21 or over there are no formal entry requirements beyond the enthusiasm and ability to succeed" and also 2We operate a flexible admissions policy, designed to make sure that places are made available to anyone with the ability and commitment to succeed on the programme, regardless of formal qualifications or background.". So make of that what you will.

Without wishing to sound bigheaded, if I haven't got the skills to get on this course then God knows who has. I am confident of that. What I'm NOT confident of is being able to get this across via a personal statement, references, and an application form.

On the plus side, I do have a promised reference from somebody who has completed a full time law degree who is prepared to state that in their opinion I am more than capable of completing the course.

shredder
25-05-2005, 20:22
The ones i posted are free, the first is an actual university's site and the other has examples along with critiques.

allieyoung666
25-05-2005, 20:25
All I can say is you have to do a little BS, I so scarred when I did mine everyone helped me. I do not know how I got in, I know mine ws about 5 pages long. But then schools of health like lots of waffle!!!

shredder
25-05-2005, 20:40
i hated doing mine, i remember being sat in my form room at college, just writing exactly what they wanted to hear! mine was only a page though!

try ucas.com, there may be some useful info there

allieyoung666
25-05-2005, 20:41
I got my dad to do mine as Paul was rubbish!!!

Dave Stones
25-05-2005, 22:32
check your pms... :)

the main things they look for really are things relevant to your course that you are interested in, and things that show you are a "normal" person who doesnt live the life of a mop, etc etc...

oh, and if you get interviews they *will* ask questions about your statement, so make sure you know it off by heart ;)

Raistlin
25-05-2005, 22:39
One tactic you might want to try is to put some hooks into your statement.

I do this with my interviews at work, I give them a little bit of information that they can pick up on and then (hopefully) ask me questions about. Some sort of interesting tidbit of information, on a subject that you can wax lyrical about.

Dave Stones
25-05-2005, 22:41
oh, 45 line limit as well if you are applying through UCAS...

scrotnig
26-05-2005, 23:36
I now have someone who has just completed a law degree themselves as one of my referrees, which apparently will help because this person can say that having actually done the course (albeit full time) themselves, they know the work involved and know that I can cope with it.

That's one promising point anyway.

Chris W
27-05-2005, 03:01
If you want a copy of the personal statement that got me 6/6 of my applications to universitys to study law PM me and i'll dig out a copy as an example for you :)

scrotnig
27-05-2005, 22:20
If you want a copy of the personal statement that got me 6/6 of my applications to universitys to study law PM me and i'll dig out a copy as an example for you :)
That would be brilliant, thanks....PM on way.