PDA

View Full Version : Top Tips Thread

STONEISLAND
24-05-2005, 08:37
Anyone have any top tips? :)

I need to know how I can stop my dog from eating my post. I have my passport coming and worried he's going to eat it as he does with most of my mail. Help!!!!!! Please. :(

Any other top tips people have? :cool:

gazzae
24-05-2005, 08:46
Don't eat yellow snow.

Tuftus
24-05-2005, 08:47
The best way would be to get one of those mail catcher things, its like a basket over the slot.

gary_580
24-05-2005, 08:50
could get one of those post boxes that fixes to the outside of the house and then your post wont need to go through the door.

Failing that, tooth extraction?

STONEISLAND
24-05-2005, 08:52
The best way would be to get one of those mail catcher things, its like a basket over the slot.

I have a thin letter box and I carnt see how it will fit. Where do you get them from?

Mr_love_monkey
24-05-2005, 08:53
I need to know how I can stop my dog from eating my post. I have my passport coming and worried he's going to eat it as he does with most of my mail. Help!!!!!! Please. :(

Take away his credit card.....

Oh no, that's how you stop elephants from charging...

I assume you can't keep him away from the door, i.e. lock him in the sitting room or something.
If you can't then your best bet is either an external post box, or as suggested, one of those mail guard things.

Or get all your post held at the post office.

altis
24-05-2005, 09:11
I have a thin letter box and I carnt see how it will fit.

I think he meant you put it over the dog.

:p:

ian@huth
24-05-2005, 09:12
You could be a cheapskate and make a letter catcher out of an empty cardboard box.

STONEISLAND
24-05-2005, 09:17
So I guess no tips for stopping my dog from eating my post.

I have a good tip

If you get bank charges blag an excuse and tell them to waver it. It always works with me.

You could be a cheapskate and make a letter catcher out of an empty cardboard box.

Good one :tu:

me283
24-05-2005, 10:08
Don't eat yellow snow.
Never fart in a spacesuit.

STONEISLAND
24-05-2005, 10:15
Rubbish top tips. Heres a good one I use,
If you accidentally over salt a dish while it's still cooking, drop in a peeled potato and it will absorb the excess salt.

Mal
24-05-2005, 10:20
Always look before you jump...

Learn to walk before you run...

Don't start throwing stones when you are inside a greenhouse...

:D

Hom3r
24-05-2005, 10:24
Just the right amount of Vodka in your Goldfish bowl will make its eyes bulge more than usual:disturbd:

STONEISLAND
24-05-2005, 10:28
Look guys this is not Viz top tips. :rolleyes: :p: We need usefull ones. :erm:

Mr_love_monkey
24-05-2005, 10:34
I think he meant you put it over the dog.

:p:

Actually - that's not a bad idea (kind of :) ) - you could get a soft muzzle for your dog - it's not one that completely covers their mouth, - it just limits how much they can open their mouth, so they can still eat and drink, it just seems to stop them chewing - it's what we used for our german shepard when he went through a stage of chewing when he was on his own

I'm just trying to find a link to one

Here - this is what I mean : http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp?dept_id=119&pf_id=3120

Salu
24-05-2005, 10:36
Try this retailer http://www.postboxshop.com/index.php?cPath=32

Or this from Argos http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=3151&productId=120872&clickfrom=name

MetaWraith
24-05-2005, 11:27
Not quite a Top Tip

me283
24-05-2005, 12:19
Best top tip I ever heard... don't waste money on expensive ribbed condoms, just slip a handful of frozen peas into a normal one before you use it... but I don't suppose it will help with the dog...

STONEISLAND
24-05-2005, 12:21
Best top tip I ever heard... don't waste money on expensive ribbed condoms, just slip a handful of frozen peas into a normal one before you use it... but I don't suppose it will help with the dog...

:D Thats a top tip keep them coming (no pun Nugget)

gary_580
24-05-2005, 12:23

so thats where mushy peas come from. Always wondered why they tasted so disgusting

Nugget
24-05-2005, 12:28

Probably shock it out of chewing the post for a while :shocked:

Dunno what you mean ;)

Roy MM
24-05-2005, 12:28
Fried Food Odors: Next time you fry foods, try placing a small cup of bleach nearby. The bleach absorbs much of the "fried" odor (that would otherwise linger for days!) Be sure to clearly mark the cup and keep it out of the reach of children

Greasy Gravy: A small amount of baking soda added to gravy will eliminate excess grease

Microwave Odors: Keep a cup of baking soda in the microwave between uses to keep potatoes from smelling like bacon or other unusual combinations!

Wok Cooking: Don't stir ingredients as you add them to a wok. You'll cool the wok and make the food greasy.

Bathroom Odors: Place an opened box of baking soda behind the toilet to absorb bathroom odors.

Carpet Stains: Baby wipes are miracle-workers on carpet stains, from motor oil to blood, they remove almost anything!

Smelly Shoes: Simply fill a tube sock with kitty litter, baking soda, or tea leaves; tie the end closed; and place the filled socks in the shoes when you're not wearing them. These sachets can be used over and over in any kind of shoe

http://kitchen.robbiehaf.com/CleaningTip s.html <more here

General Stain Removal for Clothing: Read the label! If it says dry-clean only, dry-clean it. If it's washable, try cleaning fluid, spot remover, or petroleum-based pre-wash spray. Place garment stain side down on paper towels and dab cleaner on stain using a terry-cloth towel or scrub brush. Check paper towels underneath and move frequently so there's always a clean area under the stain to absorb soil. Let area dry and check it. If stain remains, treat with prewash spray and launder. Before drying, check again. Still visible? Repeat steps.

Gum On Clothing: Use egg whites to remove gum on clothing. Brush egg white onto gum with a toothbrush. Let sit for 15 minutes and then launder on the items normally.

http://kitchen.robbiehaf.com/LaundryTips .html

below is everything from acne to yellow teeth.
examples

GUM IN HAIR: Soak the gum-coated hair in Coke® and it should wipe out easily.

HAIR LIGHTENER: To lighten hair, use 1/4 cup chopped fresh rhubarb to 2 cups boiling water. Cool, strain, and apply as a rinse.

HANG-OVER: Eat honey on crackers. The fructose in the honey will help to flush out the alcohol in your system.

HAY FEVER: Steep 1 tsp. fenugreek seed in 1 cup water, covered, for 10 minutes. Drink 1 cup a day to help hay fever symptoms.

HEADACHE: Eat 10-12 almonds, the equivalent of two aspirins, for a migraine headache. Almonds are far less likely to upset the stomach.

HICCUPS: Drink 1/2 glass water, slowly. Keep a tsp. of sugar in your month and suck slowly. Suck 2-3 small pieces of fresh ginger. This helps in hiccups which keep occurring again and again. OR Take a large mouthful of water with out swallowing, plug both ears, and slowly begin to swallow the water. Unplug your ears and you're hiccup free! (Submitted by Mrs T. Falkmann)

HICKEY: Coat area liberally with lotion. Rub with the back of a cold spoon vigorously for as long as you can stand to, changing out spoon for new cold one every 10 minutes. Recommended time for this treatment is 45-60 minutes.

INSECT BITES: Mix water with cornstarch into a paste and apply. This is effective in drawing out the poisons of most insect bites and is also an effective remedy for diaper rash.

MORNING SICKNESS: Mix 1 tsp. each fresh juice of mint and lime, and 1 Tbls. honey. Take 3 times a day.

MOSQUITO BITES: Apply lime juice diluted with water on bites with cotton ball.

http://kitchen.robbiehaf.com/HomeRemedies.html

http://kitchen.robbiehaf.com/

Tuftus
24-05-2005, 13:12
Try this retailer http://www.postboxshop.com/index.php?cPath=32

Or this from Argos http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=3151&productId=120872&clickfrom=name

Well found! That was exactly what I had in mind...

STONEISLAND
24-05-2005, 13:28
so thats where mushy peas come from. Always wondered why they tasted so disgusting

lol

Ok been to Argos and got the cage £7:99 The only problem I have is that I have a plastic door. is it ok to drill 4 holes for the screws and plugs in plastic?

Tuftus
24-05-2005, 13:48
lol

Ok been to Argos and got the cage £7:99 The only problem I have is that I have a plastic door. is it ok to drill 4 holes for the screws and plugs in plastic?

So long as the bit you are screwing it to is hollow and you use short screw you should be ok.

Drill small pilot holes first though and take your time.

STONEISLAND
24-05-2005, 13:52
So long as the bit you are screwing it to is hollow and you use short screw you should be ok.

Drill small pilot holes first though and take your time.

so dont use screws supplied small in leagth stright into door?

Tuftus
24-05-2005, 13:57
so dont use screws supplied small in leagth stright into door?

I would not drill straight in to the panels as they (if your door is anything like mine) will be quite thin.

Try to screw in to the thicker bits that will be hollow so the screw wont stick through the door.

If you are worried you could also perhaps get some sticky pads?

zoombini
24-05-2005, 14:00
Try self adhesive sticky pads or hot melt glue if you cannot screw it on.

altis
24-05-2005, 14:03
Why not get some self-tappers that are designed to go into plastic?

Such as some of these:
http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/searchPage2.jsp?x=0&Ntt=plstit&Nty=1&N=401&Ntk=gensearch&y=0

Angua
24-05-2005, 14:03
Lets just hope your dog does not try to chew the cage!!!:D

Use a very thin drill bit to make a pilot hole and be grateful your door is not steel!!!

Also a rubber glove is can be helpful in getting jars open.

STONEISLAND
24-05-2005, 14:07

Hot glue? Explaine please.

ian@huth
24-05-2005, 14:10
All of the DIY outlets (B&Q, Focus, Homebase, etc) have small platic hooks with sticky fixing pads on the back. Should do the job and better than drilling the door.

bopdude
24-05-2005, 14:17

Hot glue? Explaine please.

Glue guns use solid ' plastic ' glue sticks, you push them through the gun to get liquid glue, very good, and very strong :tu:

homealone
24-05-2005, 14:19
All of the DIY outlets (B&Q, Focus, Homebase, etc) have small platic hooks with sticky fixing pads on the back. Should do the job and better than drilling the door.

for an upvc door a couple of those sucker hooks may do the trick, no glue marks to remove, then :)

STONEISLAND
24-05-2005, 14:23
Everyone is so helpfull today. Thanks CF :tu: http://www.myfootballforum.com/images/smilies/clap.gif (http://www.myfootballforum.com/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=0#)

bopdude
24-05-2005, 14:27
Another tip, don't rely on email notification for replys to posts...... must be down here again :(

zoombini
24-05-2005, 15:57
Or, if your a fan of it & providing you support the cage while it sets (same as for the hot melt glue) a tube of decorators white silicone sealant will also grip[ well (to a cleaned surface) and last for years.
And if it's the same colour as the door will not look as abvious.

Unless you make the obvious very large blobs that are as big as a tennis ball etc.. :D

Chimaera
06-06-2005, 13:31
Not sure if this is really a 'tip' - but it's useful nevertheless!
I just found this site as I was looking around - apparently it has saved people lots of time and money with consumer problems.
The site is http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/, apparently it's aim is to give 'clear, practical consumer advice'.

punky
10-06-2005, 19:05
One I noticed the other day. If you want to get rid of that picture of a red button in the part of your screen, press the TV button (what you press to bring up tghe now and next screen) lightly. The now and next shouldn't come up but the red button should go.

Works on my Samsung box. Don't know about the Pace ones.

Graham
10-06-2005, 19:14
One I noticed the other day. If you want to get rid of that picture of a red button in the part of your screen, press the TV button (what you press to bring up tghe now and next screen) lightly. The now and next shouldn't come up but the red button should go.

Works on my Samsung box. Don't know about the Pace ones.

On my Pace Sky+ box you just hit the "back up" button :)

purenuman
10-06-2005, 19:23

Or leave it there and use it.........

No really........I know you NTL TV dudes won't believe it has a purpose but the red button works on Sky

Ramrod
10-06-2005, 19:38

No really........I know you NTL TV dudes won't believe it has a purpose but the red button works on Sky

:DWe with ntl know it has a purpose..........it gives us exercise by making us crawl round the back of the telly to unplug the stb :D

kronas
10-06-2005, 19:44
We with ntl know it has a purpose..........it gives us exercise by making us crawl round the back of the telly to unplug the stb :D

this post and the one above it made me think..... CF advertising on sky and allowing the red button feature during the commerical to find out more information about this site, atleast it works (see the irony)

Graham
10-06-2005, 23:00

Thanks, but I don't *want* to get a free Disney Brochure or whatever gets plugged during the ad break and I prefer *not* to have the damn graphic sitting there all the time I'm watching a programme! :mad:

Theodoric
10-06-2005, 23:10
could get one of those post boxes that fixes to the outside of the house and then your post wont need to go through the door.
<Snip>
I had to that once when we were looking after some mangy mutt. You can have problems with oversize letters.

allanprg
10-06-2005, 23:13

The red button on my pace box has always worked properly. And you can switch it off by pressing the tv button on the remote. But I'm getting a Samsung box in the next few weeks for the upgrade to 2mb. ;)

Theodoric
10-06-2005, 23:15
Glue guns use solid ' plastic ' glue sticks, you push them through the gun to get liquid glue, very good, and very strong :tu:
Although those of us beyond a certain age will remember the original hot glue which was kept heated in a glue pot. It was produced from dead cows. The problem with it, when gluing wood, was that, unlike modern PVA adhesives, it set very quickly - you had to work fast.

purenuman
10-06-2005, 23:28
Thanks, but I don't *want* to get a free Disney Brochure or whatever gets plugged during the ad break and I prefer *not* to have the damn graphic sitting there all the time I'm watching a programme! :mad:

Then keep *hitting* the *damn* button to *remove* it [THE GRAPHIC] ! :mad:

..and quit being soooo stressed over a red dot that, as you have said, is easily removed :p: :p: :p:

My post was a bit of humour/ribbing about NTL............

[ ] edit :angel: :D :D

Graham
10-06-2005, 23:32
Then keep *hitting* the *damn* button to *remove* it! :mad:

But I don't want to *remove* the button, just the *graphic*!!! :D

purenuman
11-06-2005, 00:58

Look up :p: :p: :p:

Graham
11-06-2005, 01:57

Look up :p: :p: :p:

Cheater!!! :PP: ;)

ian@huth
11-06-2005, 11:31
On my Pace Sky+ box you just hit the "back up" button :)But you have to do that each time the red button appears. Try pausing the programme for a split second and then pressing play, it won't come back after each ad break.

fireman328
11-06-2005, 12:02
What happens when the peas de-frost after 30 mins or so and form a mush ?
How do you explain to the G/F what caused the green colour on the sheets ?
;) ;) ;) :shocked:

Angua
14-06-2005, 10:16
To save money on your groceries have something to eat before you go shopping!

bopdude
14-06-2005, 10:36

:confused: got me beat

Ramrod
14-06-2005, 10:38
:confused: got me beatIt's a 'top tip' :tu: The thread is being dragged kicking and screaming back on topic :D

Chimaera
14-06-2005, 10:38

So then you don't go round the supermarket drooling at all the stuff you shouldn't be eating! (Like I'm just about to!) :drool: Cake aisle here I come! :hyper:

bopdude
14-06-2005, 10:41

So then you don't go round the supermarket drooling at all the stuff you shouldn't be eating! (Like I'm just about to!) :drool: Cake aisle here I come! :hyper:
Ahh I see, I think, a bit like having your cake and eating it :p: enjoy those eclairs Chim :tu:

STONEISLAND
14-06-2005, 10:48
Heres a tip

Sell your G8 tickets on ebay

punky
14-06-2005, 11:37
Heres a tip

Sell your G8 tickets on ebay

I wouldn't do that. Geldof has already got onto Ebay about it.

danielf
14-06-2005, 11:42
Top Tip:

If you're walking along and realise you have forgotten something, don't simply turn around to collect the item, as people will think you are stupid for forgetting something. What you should do is look on your watch before you turn around. This way, people will respect you for being the busy person you are. :tu: :)

Graham
14-06-2005, 12:22
Top Tip:

If you're walking along and realise you have forgotten something, don't simply turn around to collect the item, as people will think you are stupid for forgetting something. What you should do is look on your watch before you turn around. This way, people will respect you for being the busy person you are. :tu: :)

Unless, of course, you realise that it was your watch that you've forgotten, in which case you'll look *really* daft! :D

danielf
14-06-2005, 12:24
Unless, of course, you realise that it was your watch that you've forgotten, in which case you'll look *really* daft! :D

Good point! I hadn't thought of that :)

Stuart
14-06-2005, 12:26

On a related note, never go shopping with someone who has just had a "smoke", and is currently suffering the munchies.. You will end up following them round saying "No - put that back" and "leave it alone" etc. I did...

Nugget
14-06-2005, 14:55
Never post something contentious in your blog, forget about it, and then get forcibly reminded about it when your girlfriend joins the forum 6 months later :erm: :D

SMHarman
14-06-2005, 14:55
Whoopsy daisy ol bean - Goes off to read Nugs Blog...

Stuart
14-06-2005, 16:30
So, Nugg, who's your G/F?

Nugget
14-06-2005, 16:32
So, Nugg, who's your G/F?

I'm not giving information that sensitive out :p:

Mind you, just check my blog - you'll work it out :)

Roy MM
14-06-2005, 16:48
Sussed it nugs. :tu:

danielf
14-06-2005, 16:50
I'm not giving information that sensitive out :p:

Mind you, just check my blog - you'll work it out :)

She's a bit of a Star Wars fan isn't she? :)

zoombini
14-06-2005, 17:17
When wallpapering, draw a line on your wallpapering table, approx 12" in either side.
Follow this line along down the sides.

Then when you lay your wallpaper roll along the table, aligning it up with the edges, this gives you a 90 degree angled line to place your straight edge along to cut it .

-----------------------------------------------------------------
When putting your empty 2litre pop bottles in your recycling bin, hold the neck, place bottle between legs & fold it over till it's flat. Takes up far less room.
When your car petrol cap starts to stick oil it.
It's damn inconvinient when your key is stuck in the lock preventing you driving home.
If you want to write a book on handy tips, start a thread on CF, you get lots of ideas then.
Sometimes when purchasing a stack of blank CDR's you get clear ones at either end of the stack, keep these to fob off onto numpties telling them that they are the new see through cd's. It takes ages for them to realise, they often think they need one of the new CDROM's to read them :D

altis
15-06-2005, 19:11
Loadsa useful windows tips:

http://libertyboy.free.fr/computing/tips/index.php

Tricky
15-06-2005, 19:21
Snip...
When putting your empty 2litre pop bottles in your recycling bin, hold the neck, place bottle between legs & fold it over till it's flat. Takes up far less room.
Snip

Or cut them in half and practice spraying the inside of bottles (rather than practicing on remote control car shells)

zoombini
15-06-2005, 20:00
Or cut them in half and practice spraying the inside of bottles (rather than practicing on remote control car shells)

eh?

do you mean as in paint spraying before doing your RC car?

Tricky
15-06-2005, 20:14
eh?
do you mean as in paint spraying before doing your RC car?
Yep...My first attempt at spraying is below:

Edit - Worth pointing out that you spray the insides of shells not the outside

bdav
15-06-2005, 20:15

Nice one :tu:

j52c
15-06-2005, 20:40
If you have mice running about and you don't like using mouse traps, try this.

Get an empty milk bottle and put 2 tablespoons of milk in it, (don't put too much in or the mice will drown).
Lay the bottle on it's side where you have seen the mice, make a little ramp up to the neck so the mice can get in for the milk.

Once in they can't get back out of the bottle, you can then take them away and let them free in a field somewhere, or whatever you want to do with them.

Remember to change the milk before it goes off, chocolate works fine as well.

Raistlin
15-06-2005, 20:41
How do you get them out of the bottle?

j52c
15-06-2005, 20:50
How do you get them out of the bottle?

Just tip them out, it's the glass neck they can't climb up because of there wet feet. aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww

Graham
16-06-2005, 00:46
Get an empty milk bottle

Now how about a tip for where to get a milk bottle from when all the dairies in the area have closed down and you can only get milk from the Supermarket! :erm:

Nikko
16-06-2005, 01:36
Now how about a tip for where to get a milk bottle from when all the dairies in the area have closed down and you can only get milk from the Supermarket! :erm:

Use half a 2 litre pop bottle you have previously practiced spray painting the inside of?

j52c
16-06-2005, 08:05

Hhhhhmmmmm, right.....................

No problem, we still have our milk delivered in bottles. I can send you want if you want................

punky
16-06-2005, 10:10

Buy a cow.

Or maybe two and then read this (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?p=498187#post498187) for guidance :)

Raistlin
17-06-2005, 16:04
If your plastic curtain tracks are sticking, and you are finding it difficult to draw the curtains, simply spray the track with some furniture polish.

The silicon in the polish will act as a lubricant and you will find that your curtain hooks glide more easily along the track.

me283
18-06-2005, 02:05
Take a fish finger and remove the breadcrumbs... then pop it inside a used condom. It's a really cheap alternative to "boil in the bag" cod in batter sauce.

Alien
21-10-2007, 08:47
Necro-posting FTW! Download Failed (1) I could have sworn there was a more recent thread with the same/similar thread title, but it didn't show up in the search results. :confused: :shrug:

Anyway, thought I'd share this page (http://www.textileaffairs.com/c-common.htm#wash), as it has all the meanings of those washing instruction symbols from clothing labels.

Mr Angry
21-10-2007, 09:11
£53.12 - Italian Graffiti in Wardour Street.

Tinky
21-10-2007, 11:04
Necro-posting FTW! http://homepage.ntlworld.com/alien42/smilies/zombie.gif I could have sworn there was a more recent thread with the same/similar thread title, but it didn't show up in the search results. :confused: :shrug:

Anyway, thought I'd share this page (http://www.textileaffairs.com/c-common.htm#wash), as it has all the meanings of those washing instruction symbols from clothing labels.

Is this (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/22/33610976-what-is-your-hint-tip-trick.html) the thread Alien?

Alien
21-10-2007, 13:35
£53.12 - Italian Graffiti in Wardour Street.
Qué? :confused:
Is this (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/22/33610976-what-is-your-hint-tip-trick.html) the thread Alien?
Yeah. I searched for both tips & tip*, but couldn't see it in the results for either.