PDA

View Full Version : Car Audio Advice (Popping Sound)

Tricky
23-05-2005, 21:15
OK not pop sounds before anyone starts a joke...
Some of you may know I fitted a Dension IceLink+ to my BMW (none of those jokes either please) as per this thread : http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=25850

Ever since the install I got a popping/clicking sound between tracks, which I've recently been told is a ground problem. I removed the two wires +/- for the bluetooth phone sound from the plug and the popping stops.

Does anyone on here know about grounds and would this cause my problem (O the clicks/pops only appeared when the ignition was turned on, engine doesn't need to be running - it is fine when ignition is Off).

Tuftus
23-05-2005, 21:27
How do the sounds sound?

Do they rise with revs or when you use something like the indicators (not likely as they never work in a beemer :D lol ) or wipers for example?

bdav
23-05-2005, 21:30
I'll ask on a BMW board im a member of...

How do the sounds sound?

Do they rise with revs or when you use something like the indicators (not likely as they never work in a beemer :D lol ) or wipers for example?

(O the clicks/pops only appeared when the ignition was turned on, engine doesn't need to be running

I dont think its the engine, but Bluetooth by the sound of things. Ive asked for you over in the BM forum. What BMW do you have? (model + year)

Tricky
23-05-2005, 21:34
Sounds like a click as a light switch would or playing a CD on fast forward, adjusting volume of headunit doesn't make a difference and neither does adjusting volume of bluetooth output. No change when engine running (idle or otherwise) and other electrical items don't seem to cause any affect (note must try indicators!)

I've logged this on a BMW forum I visit e46fan.... and a guy from Dension in the states has suggested the ground problem...

I'll ask on a BMW board im a member of...

BMW 320d Sport Touring, 2004 (November with MP3 Capable Business/CD Head Unit). Bluetooth audio +/- cables moved over from BMW cable to Dension cable in pins 3 & 8.

Tuftus
23-05-2005, 21:48
How does the bluetooth work? is it battery powered? if so are the batteries tip top?

(good that you will check the indicators, this may surprise other road users so be carefull... :D)

Tricky
23-05-2005, 21:51
How does the bluetooth work? is it battery powered? if so are the batteries tip top?
(good that you will check the indicators, this may surprise other road users so be carefull... :D)

Bluetooth is a factory fit option kit (now you all know what the shark fin is on top of BMW's) so is all built in (no batteries)

bdav
23-05-2005, 21:51
Sounds like a BMW one - built into whole stereo system. Its a built in unit, integrated w/ steering wheel controls, stereo, and powered of car battery

Tuftus
23-05-2005, 21:57
Bluetooth is a factory fit option kit (now you all know what the shark fin is on top of BMW's) so is all built in (no batteries)

Lol and I thought that was sat nav or summat... :angel:

You learn something every day as they say.

I am at a loss here, my boss who has just got a new 330D (w00t btw, goes like stink!!!) had probs with the bluetooth phone thingy so it may possibly be driver / firmware possibly???

bdav
23-05-2005, 22:00
Lol and I thought that was sat nav or summat... :angel:

You learn something every day as they say.

I am at a loss here, my boss who has just got a new 330D (w00t btw, goes like stink!!!) had probs with the bluetooth phone thingy so it may possibly be driver / firmware possibly???

Nah, it is sat nav! and sattelite radio if you have it, and of course the BT phone antenna (the one going to the network , not the phone -> handsfree link). The BT phone kit wont work with all phones. If you google it, theres a list somewhere.

Tuftus
23-05-2005, 22:03
Nah, it is sat nav! and sattelite radio if you have it, and of course the BT phone antenna (the one going to the network , not the phone -> handsfree link). The BT phone kit wont work with all phones. If you google it, theres a list somewhere.

And so my boss found out... :)

carlingman
23-05-2005, 23:19
OK not pop sounds before anyone starts a joke...
Some of you may know I fitted a Dension IceLink+ to my BMW (none of those jokes either please) as per this thread : http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=25850

Ever since the install I got a popping/clicking sound between tracks, which I've recently been told is a ground problem. I removed the two wires +/- for the bluetooth phone sound from the plug and the popping stops.

Does anyone on here know about grounds and would this cause my problem (O the clicks/pops only appeared when the ignition was turned on, engine doesn't need to be running - it is fine when ignition is Off).

Do the decent thing and upgrade.

Carefully remove the stereo and then throw the beamer away.

:rofl:

bopdude
23-05-2005, 23:39

Seems strange that you only get the popping between tracks, is it so, or is it that you can only hear them when the music has stopped :shrug:

As for the ground, I don't know much about bluetooth but, if it stops when disconnected then I would say that its possible that your getting some sort of backfeed / noise, if you can get to the supply cable / plug, and if your able and willing, try and run a temp supply off the battery direct to the unit to see what happens then. If it stops then it is something on the same feed as the stereo and you should swap it out.

Sorry if thats long winded, I was bored :dozey: :rolleyes: :D HTH :tu:

EDIT: if your gonna mess with the supply, make sure you know the code if any, and always dissconect the battery, just in case ;)

AndrewJ
23-05-2005, 23:49
Do the decent thing and upgrade.

Carefully remove the stereo and then throw the beamer away.

:rofl:

Enough said :rofl:

Before that could we have a image of a BMW with its indicators on? its a very rare image, also a image of a BMW speedo showing 30mph in a 30mph zone. :D

SMHarman
24-05-2005, 09:49
Seems strange that you only get the popping between tracks, is it so, or is it that you can only hear them when the music has stopped :shrug:
That make it sound like the bluetooth or some other part of this collection of components is powering down in the silent part while the iPod reads the track header data for the next song and powering back up when it hears a datastream, the pop is the power down of an amp in the system and the capacitors in that amp discharging, much like on a home stereo, the pop you get in the speakers when you turn the amp off.

bdav
24-05-2005, 16:20
What you want to do is find (or make) a track with quite a bit of silence / quiet music at begining or end. Then play this, and see if you get the same noise.

Tricky
24-05-2005, 21:26
What you want to do is find (or make) a track with quite a bit of silence / quiet music at begining or end. Then play this, and see if you get the same noise.

Great idea

I don't think it has anything to do with the power down of bluetooth cos it's the same cable set as if I had a rear Boot mount cd player.

I've sent the wiring harness back to my dealer today to get a swap so we'll see if that brings any answers

Thansk for suggestions so far

bdav
24-05-2005, 21:27
Great idea

I don't think it has anything to do with the power down of bluetooth cos it's the same cable set as if I had a rear Boot mount cd player.

I've sent the wiring harness back to my dealer today to get a swap so we'll see if that brings any answers

Thansk for suggestions so far

Does that include the funny shrink-wrapped Dension part?