PDA

View Full Version : What does it say?

Mr_love_monkey
22-05-2005, 23:16
A little background...

When we first bought our house, it was several months before we actually moved in, and then once we had moved in we had various important things to sort out, like getting chairs, and beds, and so on - so what we could actually live there... as a result of this, gardening was not one of the high priorities - and our front garden got a little over run...
We then started to get a couple of notes left on our door - commenting on the state of our garden, anonymously - written in very poor hand writing.
As a result we left the garden even longer.
Finally we got around to sorting it out, and we were good neighbours for the next year, as I mowed the grass every couple of weeks, and even planted some flowers (admittedly they died very soon afterwards, but the gesture was there).
Now, our garden is once again overgrown, mostly because we've only just moved back after spending 2+ months not living there, whilst our kitchen was being replaced - which took far longer than planned due to MFI c*ck ups - and we're still trying to get the inside of our house back to normal.
Add to that, we're about to have the front turned into a driveway, so we're not really fussed about the grass at all...

Anyway, we come back today after being out most of the day (whoever used to leave the notes always does it when we're not there) - and there's another note for us... the only problem is - I can't work out what it says.

First glance makes me think it says 'Your Garden is <something> Star Wars' which just doesn't make sense to me.... anyone else got any ideas?

bmxbandit
22-05-2005, 23:29
i've been staring at it for quite a few minutes, it looks to me like:

'your garben is horrbal gras wo#'

which i assume translates as:

'your garden is horrible, grass work'

although that is only a guess... appalling writing and spelling! :erm:

danielf
22-05-2005, 23:30
LMAO. I think the last word might be an attempt at 'wrong', but I can't decipher the rest. I think you should try to find out who did it (cam?) and deliver a note saying: your handwriting is ****E :)

Charlie_Bubble
22-05-2005, 23:33
I'd say it says, "Your garden is horrible, grass long."

Any obvious illiterates in the street? If you lived in Albert Square, I'd say it was Keith! :D

Millay
22-05-2005, 23:35
I would say at gues it has been written by somebody very old possibly an alcoholic..

Mr_love_monkey
22-05-2005, 23:38
LMAO. I think the last word might be an attempt at 'wrong', but I can't decipher the rest. I think you should try to find out who did it (cam?) and deliver a note saying: your handwriting is ****E :)

Yeah, I'm thinking I'll spend a little bit of tomorrow setting up the webcam by the window.
I am really curious as to who it is.
I just wish they had the guts to actually sign it...

To be honest the writing and spelling is so bad, I wonder if that was done on purpose...no one can be that illiterate, and still feel the need to write notes, can they?

greencreeper
22-05-2005, 23:40
Ignore it. Look at the backward "D" and the way in which the writer struggles to join the letters. There are only two possibilities - someone in their 50s, poorly educated; or a child. I'd go with the latter given that the note makes no sense.

Mr_love_monkey
22-05-2005, 23:51
I would say at gues it has been written by somebody very old possibly an alcoholic..

Actually - that's interesting...

Our neighbour, has written us notes before (it makes us sound like we're neighbours from hell, but we're not honestly - I'll post a picture of the garden tomorrow to show what it's like) - commenting on rubbish in our garden - rubbish which usually has magically appeared - I'll go into that in a minute - but she has always signed them - but she is 60 odd, and borderline, if not full blown alcoholic - given that she reeks of alcohol most days usually before 11(am).

I just wonder if she has a few and then writes a note on the strength of her dutch courage.

On the subject of rubbish, I do feel that someone in the street is trying to cause us problems - we get some very strange items appearing in our garden - usually when we aren't around - for example :
An empty vodka bottle wrapped in tights.
Lemons. (whole ones)
Eggs - in one piece in the shells.
Mushrooms - destalked.

These are not normal things to have in your garden, and it only ever seems to be our garden.
Just all strikes me as a little odd....

danielf
22-05-2005, 23:56

I wasn't going to comment on that, but how on earth do you conclude from someone's handwriting that the he/she is an alcoholic?

Halcyon
23-05-2005, 00:07
This sounds like a cool mystery. Please keep us up to date with the webcam and post some pics. Could be quite interesting all of this.
Good luck with everything.

As for the message, it is so badly written its hard to make out.
Definately seems to be star wars but that could just be becuase star wars is very dominant at the moment.
I hope you find your mystery note poster.

Shaun
23-05-2005, 00:11
It'll be the one in the wig, it always is in Scooby Doo!!!

Mr_love_monkey
23-05-2005, 07:00
Ignore it. Look at the backward "D" and the way in which the writer struggles to join the letters. There are only two possibilities - someone in their 50s, poorly educated; or a child. I'd go with the latter given that the note makes no sense.
To be honest I don't think it's a child - it seems like a bit too much effort for a child to do, i.e. to go and get a pen, paper, blu-tac (to stick it to the wall) - and so on.... also because of the previous notes, it seems like quite a determined thing to do.

Incidentally - the first set of notes we got (I think there were 2) - if I remember rightly - the first note just said 'your garden is a mess' - in very scribbly handwriting again, and then the next one said 'your garden is a mess, i'm glad I'm not your neighbour' - again scribbly handwriting (but spelt correctly).
Anyway, the first one we just threw away, after going through the annoyed, amazed, amused phases... however the second one, we decided to leave alone, and 'pretend' we hadn't seen it - because of where the note was placed, you had to come right up to our door to see it - and you couldn't see it from the street. It stayed there for about a day, and then it vanished - and we had a note placed through the letter box, from the nutty neighbour (signed) telling us that they had seen a 'nasty note' on our porch and thrown it away.. as I say, where the note was placed, you had to come up to our door to see it, and there's no way she could have seen it without being on our doorstep, so I do wonder how she just 'happened' to see it.

Incidentally, anyone know of some good (free) motion detection software for web cams? I'm downloading 'free easy webcam' right now...

Ramrod
23-05-2005, 08:15
'your garden is horrible start work'?

bdav
23-05-2005, 08:39
Would someone have made their child do it as not to be recognised? Were the previous ones that bad? If they vary, then it could possibly be alcohol (and varying levels of it).

Mr_love_monkey
23-05-2005, 08:44
Would someone have made their child do it as not to be recognised? Were the previous ones that bad? If they vary, then it could possibly be alcohol (and varying levels of it).

The previous ones weren't as bad as that - it's the same scribbly hand writing, just it seems a lot worse this time.

AndrewJ
23-05-2005, 08:47
Stick a notice on your front door.

" Would the person who keeps shoving poorly written notes through my door kindly write in English from now on, because sadly I can not understand your drivelling Neanderthal style writing."

zoombini
23-05-2005, 08:56
But if it's a child, they won't understand what those long words mean.

Perhaps it's the ghost of the dead person thats buried in your garden?

AndrewJ
23-05-2005, 08:58
They do offer basic hidden cameras on Ebay for about £20 including delivery. I know a few people who use them especially my parents who are getting into there later years find them useful as they can view all around there house outside before leaving it.

May come in handy for yourself to record the little twerps who are doing this.

Personally I would be already worried with it all.

Someone really does not like you, do you drive a BMW at all :angel: :D

Mr_love_monkey
23-05-2005, 09:05
But if it's a child, they won't understand what those long words mean.

Perhaps it's the ghost of the dead person thats buried in your garden?

What makes you think there's only one????? muahahahahahaahah!

Someone really does not like you, do you drive a BMW at all :angel: :D

If I did, I'd sell it and hire a gardener :)

Personally I think they've just taken a dislike to me, because I'm young and beautiful.... not to mention my style, grace, wit and charm.... :)

punky
23-05-2005, 09:14
Personally I think they've just taken a dislike to me, because I'm young and beautiful.... not to mention my style, grace, wit and charm.... :)

Judging by that, its a wonder the neighbours don't complain about the smell as well. Bull-based fertilaliser, eh mate? ;)

Mr_love_monkey
23-05-2005, 09:20
Judging by that, its a wonder the neighbours don't complain about the smell as well. Bull-based fertilaliser, eh mate? ;)

OOOhhhhhhh I'm going to leave you such a stern note on your door, just you wait :)

marina
23-05-2005, 09:40
Just had a quick look...... and this probably means nothing at all and has nothing to do with who the person is BUT....

As soon as i looked at the note i thought that the first word Your was written with the right hand (or left if they're left handed) and the rest written with the left...... but only because there is less pressure used to write the first word and then the rest becomes laboured and a lot more pressure has been applied to write the words. It's almost as if either two people have written the note or the person that did, changed their mind on how to write it having started :shrug: Why someone might have done that i will leave up to you to decide since i'm not involved and would only be adding possible scenarios that muddy the waters :D

Make of it what you will..... that's what i make of it given that the note is anonymous and from looking at the note clinically........ from afar..... not having slept........ not having had coffee yet......... about to run out of cigarettes........ wondering why i'm on the forum at this time of the day.......... ;)

Mr_love_monkey
23-05-2005, 09:45
It's almost as if either two people have written the note or the person that did, changed their mind on how to write it having started :shrug: Why someone might have done that i will leave up to you to decide since i'm not involved and would only be adding possible scenarios that muddy the waters :D

So you think it could have been written by one person who could be bi-polar? - which worries me somewhat...

marina
23-05-2005, 09:53
So you think it could have been written by one person who could be bi-polar? - which worries me somewhat...

Did i say that? :erm: God! i need coffee and NOW!! ;)

I thought it looked like someone had started the note..... then decided to change style/tack, perhaps so that their writing wouldn't be recognisable....... FAKING IT!!! :LOL:

I just didn't want to add a theory that probably wasn't relevant :)

But yes....... from my analysis the person could be schiziod but i doubt it.

Oh and please don't be worried because of what i've written :erm: I mean........ what do i know?? :) It's just an opinion on what i saw on looking at the note....... doesn't make it right :D

Give me coffee....... i've posted again :p:

Mr_love_monkey
23-05-2005, 09:58
I thought it looked like someone had started the note..... then decided to change style/tack, perhaps so that their writing wouldn't be recognisable....... FAKING IT!!! :LOL:

But yes....... from my analysis the person could be schiziod but i doubt it.

Ah, ok - i read too much into your posting :)

As I say, personally I don't think the note poster is all there, I just wonder how much :)

marina
23-05-2005, 10:12
Ah, ok - i read too much into your posting :)

As I say, personally I don't think the note poster is all there, I just wonder how much :)

Well tbh..... the first word is completely different to the rest of the text... in style etc....... to me it looks like a possible left hand/right hand swap in an effort to disguise their handwriting since the Your looks like it's written in a very natural way, the rest of it is illegible, has had greater pressure applied to the pen in order to write the words but the grammar/spelling is bad :erm: This could either be intentional or not :shrug: But without going down the mentally ill route.... another scenario could be someone who's had something like a stroke and found it difficult to continue writing with their dominant hand so swapped.... they could be foreign AND had a stroke blah blah blah :p: Oh so many different reasons why someone might have written in this way..... IF they did at all :)

Ok....... i think i asked you not to flame me in a pm but i think you should....... to stop me posting garbage and embarrassing myself :D

Will now go for coffee..... good luck anyway!

Mr_love_monkey
23-05-2005, 10:18
Ok....... i think i asked you not to flame me in a pm but i think you should....... to stop me posting garbage and embarrassing myself :D

Well.... if you insist.......... :)

No, seriously, if I didn't want comments, off the wall (which I don't think yours are), or not - I wouldn't have posted in a public forum :)

ian@huth
23-05-2005, 10:25
It looks like the person writing the note has tried to mask their identity by altering the way they form letters and spell words. I would be very suspicious of statements like "glad I'm not your neighbour" and "seen a 'nasty note' on our porch and thrown it away" which appear designed to make you think it isn't a close neighbour who is leaving the notes.

My guess at the writing on the note is "your garden is horrible, grass also". Some people think that garden only refers to flower beds and borders and the lawn is grass.

Mr_love_monkey
23-05-2005, 10:35
ok, here's a pciture of the garden... yes, it's a bit overgrown, but it's not _that_ bad... and even if it is - I pay the mortgage, so surely who's business is it?

danielf
23-05-2005, 10:41

The inverted D could be a sign of the writer being dyslexic.

bdav
23-05-2005, 10:42
In the time its taken you to take the pic, upload, and make various other posts in this thread, you could have mown it allready!

Mr_love_monkey
23-05-2005, 10:47
In the time its taken you to take the pic, upload, and make various other posts in this thread, you could have mown it allready!

I refer you to my opening post :p:

Add to that, we're about to have the front turned into a driveway, so we're not really fussed about the grass at all...

bdav
23-05-2005, 10:49
D'Oh!.... Stupid short memory!

Nugget
23-05-2005, 10:54

What's you're handwriting like? Any good at writing notes ;)

marina
23-05-2005, 11:05
If the notes are only left when you're not at home..... i suppose it would have to be a neighbour........ or someone that's watching your house :erm:

Have the notes only ever commented on the state of the garden or have they suggested that you change your behaviour? Have they ever been threatening? What sort of time period have these notes appearing covered?

I, like you, would be dying to know who it was........ the garden is a little over grown, but it doesn't appear to be infringing on anybody else's space and if there isn't an obvious local rat problem, then the person is either a local busybody, someone who's become obsessed (maybe with mental health problems) with the idea that your garden is a problem or possibly kids on their way home from school aving a laff :shrug:

I'd like to think it was a neighbour who's got a bee in their bonnet..... oh get that webcam up and running so we'll ALL find out!!

So i haven't had that coffee yet........ :p:

Mr_love_monkey
01-06-2005, 08:47
Well the neighbour will be happy - today work has started on the drive... hopefully they will make lots of noise and irritate her

Jules
01-06-2005, 14:42
I thought it would be a massive area with a chance of seeing the odd lion or zebra....people can be so petty it is only a tiny piece of grass!

Mr_love_monkey
01-06-2005, 14:46
I thought it would be a massive area with a chance of seeing the odd lion or zebra....people can be so petty it is only a tiny piece of grass!

I know... it wasn't even _that_ overgrown... still that's people for you.

I'm thinking of asking them to cement a garden gnome into the drive way showig his bum towards her house.
Would make the drive a bit pointless, but it would be funny

Mr_love_monkey
20-06-2005, 23:11
I've just had another run in with the neighbour...

I was having a small bonfire in the garden... basically I've got a garden incinerator - which is a steel box with holes in, to keep the fire under control...

She comes out and tells me 'Youre not allowed to do that!' - I point out that I am, because I checked with the council and they say I can have a fire - she'd told me before that the council had a byelaw.. which they don't... and it went on from there, with me saying to her repeated cry of 'no one else does it' : 'No one else paints their backside blue and prances around the garden, but if I decide to do that in my garden, that's my business...'

I'm so not winning neighbour of the year award

Graham
21-06-2005, 01:45
No one else paints their backside blue and prances around the garden, but if I decide to do that in my garden, that's my business...'

So *that's* why they call you Mr Love Monkey! :D :monkey: :dmonk:

Mr_love_monkey
21-06-2005, 10:31
So *that's* why they call you Mr Love Monkey! :D :monkey: :dmonk:

It sure as hell ain't because of my love for my fellow (wo)man.. especially if they live next door to me :)

Jules
21-06-2005, 14:16
Have you had any more strange notes through

Halcyon
21-06-2005, 14:22
Ah yes I too am eager to know what happened to this.

Mr_love_monkey
21-06-2005, 14:37
No notes recently....

However I have spent the morning securing the back gate with a new sliding latch, that can only be opened from the inside, and a new bolt at the botton of the gate, to ensure no one can just stretch over and undo it - not to mention putting a heavy duty hasp, and padlock on the garage side door, since 'someone' has been in my garden recently.

I've had a crate of beer go missing, which could be kids - this was taken from the garage.
I've had a pair of gardening gloves go missing which were sitting on a pile of bits in the garden - wild animal maybe, but one that was able to take them without knocking any of the bits off...
I've also had my garden hose be cut in several places..

So I am starting to feel that a bit more security would be a good idea

Chimaera
21-06-2005, 14:43
Any chance of getting a dog? Mine is the best security device going - if anyone walks too close to the front gate, she's baying for blood at the front door! Mind you the only thing you would get from her would be a vicious lick....... :)
When I was broken into several years ago the Police advised me to get one - they said dogs are better than a burglar alarm because an intruder wouldn't know what the dog might do.

TheShadow
21-06-2005, 14:48
You could get one of those cheapo security cameras and hook it up to your PC/TV or something.

Jules
21-06-2005, 14:49
No notes recently....

However I have spent the morning securing the back gate with a new sliding latch, that can only be opened from the inside, and a new bolt at the botton of the gate, to ensure no one can just stretch over and undo it - not to mention putting a heavy duty hasp, and padlock on the garage side door, since 'someone' has been in my garden recently.

I've had a crate of beer go missing, which could be kids - this was taken from the garage.
I've had a pair of gardening gloves go missing which were sitting on a pile of bits in the garden - wild animal maybe, but one that was able to take them without knocking any of the bits off...
I've also had my garden hose be cut in several places..

So I am starting to feel that a bit more security would be a good idea

Hmm a lot of stuff happening, must be a bit of a worry to you

Mr_love_monkey
21-06-2005, 15:22
Any chance of getting a dog.....

I would love a dog, the missus is not too keen on the idea though...

Hmm a lot of stuff happening, must be a bit of a worry to you

It is - we've got a young baby in the house, and there's possibly some nutter living next door to us - or someone else trying to wander around our garden...

Chimaera
21-06-2005, 15:47
Ah - well I was the one that needed persuading - I wouldn't be without her now!
Seriously - go along to your local animal sanctuary (I went to Battersea Dog's Home) just for a look - they will give you any information you want and might even help your missus to think that a dog is not such a bad idea after all. :)

Mr_love_monkey
21-06-2005, 16:20
Ah - well I was the one that needed persuading - I wouldn't be without her now!
Seriously - go along to your local animal sanctuary (I went to Battersea Dog's Home) just for a look - they will give you any information you want and might even help your missus to thinnk that a dog is not such a bad idea after all. :)

I think it would take more than that.... when we go to my mums, she's not too keen on the dog there either.... if I thought there was a way I could talk her around....

Jules
21-06-2005, 16:21
I think the camera that The Shadow suggested is a good idea

Chimaera
21-06-2005, 16:22
And go for the security aspect - point out that she would be safer in the house with a dog, and of course the house will be more secure when you go out. Good luck!

Escapee
21-06-2005, 17:59
My garden is in a similar state, I only realised how bad it was when my girlfriend commented on the weekend.

If anyone wants to come here and leave a note, they will have to make their way through with a machette first.

It does have its advantages though, if any **** try to get in over the wall they will not know about he barbed wire coiled up in the grass. :D

budwieser
21-06-2005, 21:32
Get some Geese and sharpen their beaks!

Supposed to be the best guard animals you can get!:D

Kliro
21-06-2005, 21:39
I wouldnt suggest a dog when you've got a child - they can be unpredictable at the best of times.
We got a camera for about 50 quid from costco or somewhere similiar, connects to the tv or vcr via scart, but often the presence of one can be enough.

Mr_love_monkey
16-07-2005, 00:35
ermmm..ok...

I've just caught my neighbour out in the alleyway - in her nightgown, without wig, opening up our bins apparently 'looking for foxes'....
I was sitting in the conservatory, doing a bit of work (all of the lights are off apart from one at the back), when I heard a noise - so I went into the front to see what was making it - I then saw this old woman at our bins - I didn't recognise her (I now know that that was because of the lack of wig)... so I basically leap out the front door with a 'What the hell are you doing?????'.

She then goes into an explanation how she was sitting in her house, looking at a book, when she saw a fox, around our bins and wanted to make sure it hadn't got inside... so she came out to see... and that's why she was out there, with next to nothing on, no wig, rummaging through my bins at 12.15 at night.

This woman is really starting to scare me.... seriously

Halcyon
16-07-2005, 01:28
Hmmmmm sounds kind of fishy to me.
Hopefully she'l back down now she knows you are on to her.
Keep an eye out.

greencreeper
16-07-2005, 01:50
I love the emphasis on her not having a wig - like it would have been perfectly alright had she worn her toupee :rofl:

Stephen
16-07-2005, 01:59
Well I let my hedge get a bit out of control(it was taller than me) and everytime my neighbour saw me or my brother she would ask when we were cutting it or just coment on it. Now I have cut it she keeps asking about the back garden, why can't people just mind their own eh?

I'll do it when I get the time and can actually be bothered!

Now she is a very nosy neighbour, always at the window. Get this me friend who lives to the right of me came home after a night out and the next day this woman actually new the exact time that she came home!!

Well I would suggest that you get some sort of secuirity such as a camera just so you can see who it is, but that sounds really creepy her out in the middle of the night looking in your bins.

Jules
16-07-2005, 11:51
Oh dear Mr LM maybe you should start leaving messages for her in your bin lol

makikomi
16-07-2005, 12:00
I think maybe the writing may have been done left-handed by a right-handed person.

The style suggests a younger person, and the spelling....!

AndrewJ
16-07-2005, 12:08
Accidently spill some superglue on the dustbin lid. And when you want to use it bring the soultion along to neuterallise (sp?) it.

;)

bmxbandit
16-07-2005, 12:38
you could try slopping some anti-vandal paint around, but i think its quite expensive...

makikomi
16-07-2005, 12:46
Get a hosepipe or a super-soaker water gun.

Next time you see her round the bins, charge round the corner yelling and blasting her with water...

The apologise profusely, claiming you heard a noise and thought it was that blasted fox she saw before... :D

'No one else paints their backside blue and prances around the garden, but if I decide to do that in my garden, that's my business...'

Actually, I do that every Thursday.

:disturbd: :disturbd: :disturbd:

AndrewJ
16-07-2005, 12:50
:dozey:

Ermm..

Raistlin
16-07-2005, 12:59
You could really upset her and put a real fox in one of the bins :D

Alternatively, turn one of the bins into a giant Jack-in-the-box. Attach a big spring to the bottom and then make a papier mache fox and attach to the spring.

Next time she takes the lid off **BLAMMO!!**

zoombini
16-07-2005, 13:24
And give her a heart attack. :)

dilli-theclaw
16-07-2005, 14:04
Maybe she was looking for food, but was to embarrased to say :confused:

makikomi
16-07-2005, 14:08
Maybe she was an American spy looking for BIN Laden?

TheBlueRaja
16-07-2005, 14:17
Just another though on that note - it could been deliverately bad handwriting so it would be difficult to identify who wrote it.

But as you have now found some old bad going through your bins at 12:15 am i dont think it matters much anymore as it would appear that this could very vell be the culprit.

Inform her that going through somebody elses bins is a criminal offence and that if it happens again the police will be called.

Maybe she was an American spy looking for BIN Laden?

Bin it will you - that joke was just rubbish! :D

homealone
16-07-2005, 14:21
<snip>

I'd refuse, Maki - just a tip ;)

makikomi
16-07-2005, 14:23

Descending into TRASH talking now?

I REFUSE to listen to this GARBAGE, and I mean that LITTER-ally.

:disturbd: :disturbd: :disturbd:

Reed
04-11-2005, 08:01
Why not spend a little more time on your garden and make your life much more beautiful? If you do so, you don't have to waste all those time on figuring out what's on the paper and discussing. :)

basa
04-11-2005, 09:02
Why not spend a little more time on your garden and make your life much more beautiful? If you do so, you don't have to waste all those time on figuring out what's on the paper and discussing. :)

Ooooh ... could we have stumbled on the culpret ? :disturbd:

Personally I find I can spend my time much more productively than chopping up natures bounty. :rolleyes: