PDA

View Full Version : Unable to browse

colinw
22-05-2005, 19:29
Hi everyone,

I wonder if anyone can help. On Friday I rebooted my PC and now have no Internet access.

I have tried rebooting, turning off the PC and the Cable modem and then turning them on, etc, etc but nothing seems to work.

The strange thing is, I have an IP that seems right 80.x. I can ping certain hosts e.g. www.bbc.co.uk (http://www.bbc.co.uk) and can even do a tracert to the same.

But what I can't do is surf, ftp, etc. Oh and I'm sending this over a dial up which is so slow.

Anyone have any ideas. I'm in the Glasgow area if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance
Colin

Paul K
22-05-2005, 20:29
Has anything changed on the PC from say Thursday?
What operating system are you running, do you run a firewall (if you do have you tried stopping it from running at start up and then rebooted the PC?)
Have you checked that you're not specifying a proxy in your connection settings?
If you are running Windows XP have you tried a system restore to the day before it went wrong?

colinw
22-05-2005, 20:37
Thanks for the reply.

Nothing changed since Thursday (honest). Came home on Friday from work, PC a bit slow so rebooted and this happened.

I run XP with ZoneAlarm. I have tried disabling it but not rebooting with it disabled. Too scared to do that because the firewall logs are full of port scans.

Definitely no proxy in browser settings. I've checked this because it was the first thing I reckoned might be wrong.

I've not done a system restore (yet). It was the last thing I wanted to try if I can avoid it.

The only other strange thing which leads me to think its a local (ntl not mine) network problem is that the XP tray icon for the LAN keeps flashing on i.e. while I'm working away it pops up saying LAN connected (or something like that.

Paul K
22-05-2005, 20:52
Try switching the XP firewall on for the connection and then go into Zone Alarm's control panel and tell it not to run at windows startup (or what ever they call it these days).
The XP firewall (Hope you are on SP2) will protect you inbound while the Zone Alarm firewall is off ;)

colinw
22-05-2005, 21:10
OK. Just about to try that.

Weird thing though. I've managed to get to the ntl autoregister site and reregister however still no internet access.

I'll also reboot the cable modem again and see if that makes any difference.

Chris W
22-05-2005, 21:17
what is the last part of your ip address? is it 248+ ?

colinw
22-05-2005, 21:19
Its 249. Does that mean the cable modems not registered then?

allieyoung666
22-05-2005, 21:22
It would be easier to renstall the whole cabodle. My dad is having the same problem at the mo, so we have brought it here and we are doing a total system restall on the system, as the Bios would not give us any clues as to why this has happened.

Chris W
22-05-2005, 21:24
It means the cablemodem is getting an unreg.cm config... so yeh has either been removed from ntl's system or provisioned incorrectly.

Have you moved house or had a replacement modem because of a fault?

Technical Support should be able to sort this out for you- Although it may be suspended for a billing problem (can't remember if that gives a noserv.cm or unreg.cm config...) but TS can advise you if this is the case. TS are open until midnight today- 0845 650 0121 so give them a call...

If you don't have any luck, PM me the modems mac address and the pre-reg ip that you are getting at the moment and i'll have a fiddle tomorrow.

allieyoung666
22-05-2005, 21:27
I have only come back from Scotland to find my dads PC like that. Are you sure you havent knocked any cables out????

Chris W
22-05-2005, 21:28
I have only come back from Scotland to find my dads PC like that. Are you sure you havent knocked any cables out????

The ip that the OP is getting means it is not a PC or connectivity issue- but a problem with the configuration that the modem is getting. There was some work in the Renfrew area a little while ago which caused a few modems to be provisioned incorrectly so it may be this problem that is affecting your Dad as well. Did you get his problem fixed or is he still having problems?

colinw
22-05-2005, 21:49
OK cheers for that.

Not moved house and no replacement cable modem.

I've checked the cm logs and I'm getting unreg.cm.

I'll give them a phone and let you know how I get on. Ta.

OK. Phoned TS and all appears to be fine now. The cm rebooted a few times and its now come up with an IP completely different from the last.

So thanks to all for the help.

Cheers
Colin

Chris W
22-05-2005, 21:55
cool :tu:

glad it is all working again :)