PDA

View Full Version : Driver Improvement Scheme?

smicer07
22-05-2005, 12:35
Got done for going through a red light (one of those where you're 50/50 whether to stop as you're very close to the lights), and got a letter through saying I'd be fined and get 3 points. As an alternative, in the Merseyside area, I can go on a "Driver Improvement Course"- it's half a day but I don't know anything about it- has anyone else done this and is it preferable to paying the fine/3pts?
Cheers.

Russ
22-05-2005, 12:40
Is it preferable? That's for you to decide but I think all drivers should periodically have to go on courses like this.

A quick google brought this (http://www.walsall.gov.uk/transport/motor/driverimprovement.asp) up.

bmxbandit
22-05-2005, 12:53
from a purely financial point of view, you're probably better off taking the day off work than paying a fine and higher insurance premiums.

plus it's probably a Good Thing To Doâ ¾Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¢ anyway...

Raistlin
22-05-2005, 12:57
I'd do the DIS if I were you.

If you get points you may find that your insurance goes up, you will definitly get a fine, so the "cost" of taking a half day off work is nothing compared to the grief it will save.

Oh, and the next time you might not get the option - think how pi**ed you'd be if you turned it down now and didn't get another chance ;)

iron25
22-05-2005, 22:12
Nowadays most insurance companies aren't that bothered by speeding fines and one shouldn't affect your premium. Getting done for undue care and attention or dangerous driving is a different matter. To be perfectly honest, I would rather have the fine than to spend half a day be patronised to about how speed kills blah blah blah :rolleyes:

Chimaera
22-05-2005, 22:15
I'd say do the course - but then I would!! :D