PDA

View Full Version : static caravan question ???? ....

paulyoung666
21-05-2005, 22:42
... , has anyone here owned one / owns one / plans to own one , just wondering as we are thinking of getting one in the near future and were wondering about the pitfalls of ownership / renting it out etc , all contributions gratefully accepted :D :D :D

Chimaera
21-05-2005, 22:44
I haven't got one, but a mate of mine has. I'd say stay in the site owner's good books - he's fallen out with his and the site owner is making his life hell!!

Kliro
21-05-2005, 22:44
Am not getting one, but where are you getting it, and how much?

Would it not be better to get a motorhome?

Could go wherever then!

Raistlin
21-05-2005, 22:46
You could do special holidays for CF members.....we'd look after it really well.....promise..... ;)

MetaWraith
21-05-2005, 22:48
You could do special holidays for CF members.....we'd look after it really well.....promise..... ;)
Special Holidays?? You are not thinking big enough mate,
try thinking location of next forum meet............:disturbd:

Raistlin
21-05-2005, 22:51
Special Holidays?? You are not thinking big enough mate,
try thinking location of next forum meet............:disturbd:

Now there's an idea.....

Perhaps someone should add a poll to this thread:

"Where should the caravan be sited (or, where do you want the next CF meet to be)?"

Actually, thinking about this logically, if you were to get a Winnebago you could pick us all up and drop us off - we could have a sort of mobile meet :)

Hom3r
21-05-2005, 22:57
One thing would be security (contents and getting it knicked)

Is you car able to pull the weight of the fully loaded caravan

Roy MM
21-05-2005, 22:59
Be carefull, you can buy vans on site but the policy of the site owners are vans over a certain age have to be removed, check all the rules of the site you are looking at, removing an 8 berth van can cost the earth, some are 5-6 years tops no good if you've paid several £k for a van that has out stayed it's welcome.

homealone
21-05-2005, 23:02
to be honest I would go for a timeshare, rather than permanent - it ties you to the dates you have to take your holiday (barring swops etc..) but you don't get the hassle of trying to let it out when you are not there.

AFAIK these deals in Scotland are good, due to the different property laws, so if that is where you are looking, I would consider it :)

Hom3r
21-05-2005, 23:02
Try this site (it might be for mobile though)

http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/

punky
22-05-2005, 00:04
... , has anyone here owned one / owns one / plans to own one , just wondering as we are thinking of getting one in the near future and were wondering about the pitfalls of ownership / renting it out etc , all contributions gratefully accepted :D :D :D

My parents had two (one after the other) years ago on Walton-on-the-Naze. Is there anything specific you want me to ask them?

paulyoung666
22-05-2005, 00:10
My parents had two (one after the other) years ago on Walton-on-the-Naze. Is there anything specific you want me to ask them?

not really , but to know you are in the know is good to know :) , this was more of a general get to know the feel of the game if you see what i mean :) , but now i have a contact then i hope a pm or two will not be a problem :)

greencreeper
22-05-2005, 00:47
A static caravan is not a caravan - it's a tin box with legs that are cemented to the floor. It doesn't, cannot, never will, nor never has gone anywhere. Though come the next high winds/tide, you might have cause to wonder. All services are connected up - so no 2 mile walk to the water tap; no dislocated shoulder as you start the generator; no gas bottles to change; and no portable toilet to clean out. As for renting out - same with renting anything. You might get Mr and Mrs Middle-England; or the chav family of 6 from hell.

Nidge
22-05-2005, 09:16
My mate owns one in Ingoldmells, he reckons it's ok it's the ground rent that kills you, the site he's on charge £2,200 per season, he rents his out to cover the ground rent each season.

Think carefully before you buy one, I looked into it last year, there are many pit falls.

xcdtowg
22-05-2005, 14:11
Yeah the ground rent is often quite high, my mum has been looking to buy a caravan near me (Bournemouth), so she can use it as a easy way to stay when she comes to visit and can pop down whenever she wants.
I gave her a few local sites to ring, but the ground rent was around £4000 a year, because most of the sites down here have lots of activities and rubbish for the tourists. But my mum doesnt really want to rent it out to any scumbags, as she put it, so went off the whole idea, because of the huge ground rent.

Marge
22-05-2005, 14:19
Bopdude has/had a static, may be worthwhile PM'ing him

allieyoung666
22-05-2005, 14:24
We have thought about this log and hard. Due to Pauls leg we cannot tow a caravan, my parents have one, its okay but it is to small.
The static we stayed in last night was okay, I went to look at a new one and they were out of this world. I had a chat with the manger, who said that people who come to stay in your caravan genreally look after it better than a haven one, which was reasuring. I was only going to rent it out to colleagues that me and paul work with, close family and friends. I was also told that we could vet them if we were really concerned, as they can check if they have stayed at any other bourne leisure sites and caused any trouble.
The ground rent is quite an issue but they vary from haven to haven site as some offer more facilities than others. But thanks for the advice. We might go and have a look next weekend.

Escapee
22-05-2005, 16:38
I looked at one about 6 years ago, I didn't go ahead mainly because I was just changing jobs at the time.

I looked at one on a small site inland from the coast, it was small friendly, cheaper and they didn't kick older vans off if they were kept looking nice.
The owner showed me around a van, it was about 5 years old and had been kicked off another site. I thought it was brand new until he went around pointing out about two or three minor blemishes.

The other thing that put me off was the near three hour drive to the site, unfortunate because it was in a part of the country I really like.

bopdude
22-05-2005, 16:57
Bopdude has/had a static, may be worthwhile PM'ing him

Yep, still do, in a fashion ( long story ) as for pitfalls,...
Been mentioned, check the age a caravan is deemed to old, different sites have different cut-offs.
Also check on wether its seasonal as mine was they closed Jan 4th and opened again at the start of March.
If you get one, always drain them for winter, it can get very wet and costly if you don't because the pipes / boiler can and will freeze and split, as I found out :dozey:
Depending on the amount you want to spend as well, there are some excellent statics about, almost like a bungalow some of them.
If possible go for one that is double glazed and has central heating, it'll make a big difference, mine wasn't and when i used to finish work in the winter at 6 in the morning I would come in to ice, on the mirror in the living room :shocked: I left the fire on low after that ..lol
On the subject of fire's / gas, check around for a supplier of gas as the sites charge you more, electric is also charged at a higher rate IIRC.

Anything else, just ask, I'll tell you what I know, had almost 2 years in one ;)

zoombini
22-05-2005, 22:29
Based on my mums experience from when she had a few.

If your gonna get one & rent it out, make sure that you are insured for it being totally stripped of everything!

It does happen.

skyblueheroes
23-05-2005, 06:59
My parents owned two in Wales for over 20 years. They were on a private site (owned by a farmer) about 5 miles from Aberdovery (mid Wales).

I would highly recommend getting the right site. How many times do you see these commercial sites where all the vans are side by side in a field ? The site we used was on the side of a hill and had to halfs connected by a small road. Each van had its own space surrounded by trees and bushes and its own car park and spaces for sheds etc.

My parents bought both their vans from Salop in Shrewsbury. I think they paid a fee to have it moved and placed at the site. They bought their own gas, but leccy and water was inc in the static ground rent (which I think was £1500 a number of years ago).

I would recommend picking a part of the country, then a site. If the site owner is any good you will be able to speak to him about buying second hand on the site, or picking a new plot.

My parents rented to just friends and family and made enough to cover the costs. I'd be wary about renting to the general public, and you may need to check its okay with the site owner.

I'd also spend some money insulating the pipes underneath and maybe building a wooden cladding to cover the gap underneath it. It will stop draughts and can be used for storage.

Hope this helps.......................

Oooh, found pic. The Dovey Eastury........................

Tightscot
14-01-2009, 17:19
:bump: wow, almost a 5 year old thread

EDIT except it got removed, so now i look silly. :-(

MovedGoalPosts
14-01-2009, 17:34
EDIT except it got removed, so now i look silly. :-(

:rofl:

I would have deleted your post had you not admitted that :D

Stuart
14-01-2009, 17:39
:D

Tightscot
14-01-2009, 17:41
now i'll have to put my hat on... :dunce: see...

tweetypie/8
15-01-2009, 08:42

listen to what roy mm is saying,good advice.

Stuart
15-01-2009, 09:14
listen to what roy mm is saying,good advice.

You do realise that paulyoung666 was banned years ago?

vanessa1954
25-10-2011, 13:16
If you want some good advice dont spend a fortune on your first static caravan. Buy a cheap & clean second hand van that is already sited on a park and your first seasons fees will probably be included in the price. You will know by the end of that season whether the park and lifestyle is for you. If not, you havent lost a fortune but if you like it you get a better part x deal on an older van should you decide to upgrade, newer vans lose their value to quickly in my experience.