PDA

View Full Version : carbon monoxide

Bex
21-05-2005, 20:01
just a gentle reminder to everyone that carbon monoxide is not a nice thing at all, which is why it is imperative to make sure that you keep an eye out for the signs. even going as far as buying a device to detect it.

anyone who has read my blog from yesterday will realise that my family has been suffering from the effects of carbon monoxide poisioning. it came about because our boiler has not been serviced properly, and there was a vital part missing which meant that the fumes were seeping back into our lounge. We have no way of saying how long it has been going on, but the boiler was last serviced about two years ago.

we spent last night at the hospital, getting tested out to make sure there was no permenant damage to us, and to be honest the tests weren't overly nice, but luckily we are all ok. the symptoms should only last for another week. however, it could have been more serious.

so for your safety and your families, make sure your boiler is regularly fixed and that you watch out for any syptoms.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/conditions/carbonmonoxide1.shtml

Paul
21-05-2005, 20:06
The gas board gave us a free detector about three years ago.

paulyoung666
21-05-2005, 20:16
not nice and glad you are all ok , a little link (http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=carbon+monoxide+detectors&btnG=Search&meta=cr%3DcountryUK%7CcountryGB) to some more info :tu:

punky
21-05-2005, 20:20
Good thing you soptted it, it kills :erm:

MetaWraith
21-05-2005, 20:53
The gas board gave us a free detector about three years ago.Aren't those only good for 6 months or so ?

Ramrod
21-05-2005, 20:58
Isn't house plants turning yellow another sign of CO?

Chimaera
21-05-2005, 21:05
No - it's a sign that I'm looking after them :erm: :D

greencreeper
21-05-2005, 21:07
So is dead people - prefer not to wait that long! Flu like symptoms - cough, snuffles, aches, general tiredness - are the signs. You had a lucky escape Bex!

My parents have an alarm but it keeps having false alarms. They had the whole of the fireplace ripped out and had to re-decorate the chimney breast again because of the alarm. After it was all done and a new fire fitted - alarm went off again :D

Ramrod
21-05-2005, 21:08
No - it's a sign that I'm looking after them :erm: :DYep, Mandy is about the same.........she was debating whether she should buy some plants in IKEA today.......I suggested that she didn't and let them live. :D

Chimaera
21-05-2005, 21:10
No - it's a sign that I'm looking after them :erm: :DYep, Mandy is about the same.........she was debating whether she should buy some plants in IKEA today.......I suggested that she didn't and let them live. :D
You should have gone for one of their orchids - cheapest anywhere and virtually indestructible - and the one I've got has flowered almost contunually for 3 years! :eek:

Scarlett
21-05-2005, 21:22
Aren't those only good for 6 months or so ?

Yuo can get simple disposable ones thatare good for 6 months or the Battery powered one that we have in the kitchen, approx 10 years on each battery.

Kliro
21-05-2005, 21:29
Dont people use lighters? If the flame doesnt light CO is present.

*****Don't try this as I'm not really sure*****

Bex
21-05-2005, 21:34

i think we can discount that one since i live in a house of smokers....

discolouring around the site of the boiler/gas fire is another sign.

homealone
21-05-2005, 21:38

if there was enough CO for a lighter not to light, you would already be dead...

The thing with Carbon Monoxide is that it irreversibly combines with the haemoglobin in your blood cells & stops it from being able to absorb & release oxygen - you have to make new blood cells to replace the damaged ones, which takes time.

I'm glad bex discovered what the problem was before it got any worse. ;)

Matthew
22-05-2005, 00:03
I recommend this (http://www.fireservice.co.uk/safety/carbonmonoxide.php) site for information on carbon monoxide. Everyting you need to know.

Hom3r
22-05-2005, 00:19
My sister had a problem with Carbon Monoxide (48 later they could have been dead DEAD earlier this year and I had to take here and her 2 kids (4 & 1) for urgent bloodtests and sit near by and listen to the crying about being held down and having a great big needle stuck in them.

I went out and bought a battery powered Carbon Monoxide detector (Not that crap bit of colour changing paper.

I mean whats £25 against you and your kids

PS Get smoke alarms as well

Nidge
22-05-2005, 10:20
just a gentle reminder to everyone that carbon monoxide is not a nice thing at all, which is why it is imperative to make sure that you keep an eye out for the signs. even going as far as buying a device to detect it.

anyone who has read my blog from yesterday will realise that my family has been suffering from the effects of carbon monoxide poisioning. it came about because our boiler has not been serviced properly, and there was a vital part missing which meant that the fumes were seeping back into our lounge. We have no way of saying how long it has been going on, but the boiler was last serviced about two years ago.

we spent last night at the hospital, getting tested out to make sure there was no permenant damage to us, and to be honest the tests weren't overly nice, but luckily we are all ok. the symptoms should only last for another week. however, it could have been more serious.

so for your safety and your families, make sure your boiler is regularly fixed and that you watch out for any syptoms.

Phew glad you are all ok :tu: :tu: :tu:

zoombini
22-05-2005, 23:25
The detection chamber/element inside CO detectors would only last a couple of years at most.
I'd be very suspicious of one that claims to last 10 years.

And as its for your life safety it's best to get them tested & replaced regurally, as it is with smoke detectors.

Which reminds me to sort out some smoke/co detectors for my house (we design them where I work).

nffc
23-05-2005, 02:02
How do those detectors actually work?

Nidge
23-05-2005, 05:38
This thread has just saved my neighbours life, she'd been moaning to my missus yesterday about being tired, having a cough, feeling like she had the flu, I told my missus about this thread, she went straight round and told her yesterday, she phoned TRANSCO who came out and condemed the boiler. :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

Electrolyte01
23-05-2005, 09:24
I'm glad the boiler in my house is in the loft, meaning anything it gives off is vented outside :erm:

TheBlueRaja
23-05-2005, 11:11
If you goto the British Gas website which is www.house.co.uk and select Protect your Home from the menu at the side and then the safety advice button in the window that shows next - you will see a big page about Safety Advice and Common Sense for the home. In there is a link for a Carbon Monoxide detector which you can buy directly from British Gas for £22.99 Inc VAT and delivered to your door.

Sounds like a good deal - concidering that you definately going to get a new working and british standard approved detector at a good price.

etccarmageddon
23-05-2005, 12:13
always get your boiler checked out during the survey process when buying a house and get it serviced when you move in.

I relied on the verbal confirmation my seller gave me as they appeared to be honest/decent people. After moving in, I discovered they had lied to me.

If you goto the British Gas website which is www.house.co.uk and select Protect your Home from the menu at the side and then the safety advice button in the window that shows next - you will see a big page about Safety Advice and Common Sense for the home. In there is a link for a Carbon Monoxide detector which you can buy directly from British Gas for £22.99 Inc VAT and delivered to your door.

sounds good but it doesnt tell you much about it - you can get one from B and Q for a similar price. I purchased the top of the range one a few years back - £40 - gave you a digital reading of parts per million which you could easily test by getting a smoker to blow on it! I would recommend that one if you can afford it.

Bex
23-05-2005, 17:40
This thread has just saved my neighbours life, she'd been moaning to my missus yesterday about being tired, having a cough, feeling like she had the flu, I told my missus about this thread, she went straight round and told her yesterday, she phoned TRANSCO who came out and condemed the boiler. :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

i'm glad it helped :)

Hom3r
23-05-2005, 22:38
At the end of the day you should buy a carbon dioxide detector (mains, battery) forget the cost.

what is money compared to a life

nffc
23-05-2005, 23:03
At the end of the day you should buy a carbon dioxide detector (mains, battery) forget the cost.

what is money compared to a life

carbon dioxide?

timewarrior2001
23-05-2005, 23:07
it doesnt have to be an old boiler (ahem) to be dangerous.
A crack in the flu, a blockage, fitted by non corgi registered people (highly illegal).

But also you MUST get the heating equipment serviced preferably twice a year, not just "fixed" when it breaks.
They dont last forever, my parent have hot air central heating, they had the whole unit replaced when it was 20 years old, another 5 and this one wil be getting replaced. They have all the alarms and sensors etc mainly because my mother is disabled and they want plenty of warning.

Too many people get annoyed at "false" alarms and remove batteries etc.
STOP and THINK, you cant when your dead and rotting.

Shaun
23-05-2005, 23:17
Also worth noting that it's your landlords responsibility to have ALL gas appliances tested EVERY year. :)

Strzelecki
23-05-2005, 23:55
Ours is tested every year through our letting agent/landlord. According to the gas bloke it's compulsory for the landlord to provide smoke alarms but not CO alarms, which seems daft. Got a battery CO alarm anyway even though the boiler is really external to the main part of the house.

yesman
24-05-2005, 00:06
There is some really good advice here (http://www.dti.gov.uk/homesafetynetwork/cm_intro.htm)

zoombini
24-05-2005, 00:16
Tha day after I moved into my house, I went into the loft to do some clearing out & got poisoned because the flu was not fitted correctly.

Cost me £00 to get sorted out short notice on a sunday (yes I was ripepd off).

yesman
24-05-2005, 00:18
Tha day after I moved into my house, I went into the loft to do some clearing out & got poisoned because the flu was not fitted correctly.

Cost me £00 to get sorted out short notice on a sunday (yes I was ripepd off).

Actually, that sounds quite reasonable .

Angua
25-05-2005, 23:20
Always be careful when decorating around gas fires. If they need to be moved for any reason get a Corgi person in. Someone died as a result of not putting the gas fire back properly after decorating.:(

zoombini
26-05-2005, 00:17
lol.
That should have been £300 I think.

luftys
30-05-2005, 00:23
Good post bex :tu: I just hope that it helps someone else to stay alive

Faulty
30-05-2005, 00:34
Glad to hear that you and your family are ok!

luftys
30-05-2005, 01:21
anyone who has read my blog from yesterday will realise that my family has been suffering from the effects of carbon monoxide poisioning. it came about because our boiler has not been serviced properly, and there was a vital part missing which meant that the fumes were seeping back into our lounge. the boiler was last serviced about two years ago.

The boiler was serviced Sept 04 :Yikes: and the plate was missing since 98 when the boiler was replaced,and had been serviced every year since,but the plate was not picked up as missing :disturbd:

luftys
30-05-2005, 14:11
Glad to hear that you and your family are ok!
We all are ok ty :D and :welcome: to the forum

Faulty
30-05-2005, 16:46
Thanks for the welcome!

zoombini
31-05-2005, 00:50
When I got registered corgi guys in to do the job, it turns out that I would have made a better job.
The new vent in the roof leaks because of the mess they made cutting the seal & it was me that told them exactly what wanted doing.

Just because they are corgi registered does not always mean that your going to get a decent job done & just because your not does not mean that your going to get a dangerous one done.