PDA

View Full Version : NTL now want to charge me for my own modem

Littlelegs
21-05-2005, 07:57
I got a letter the other day stating NTL are withdrawing the offer of the £5 discount for owning my own modem.
So they want to charge me rent for something I own?
Anyone else get a letter like this? Is there anything I can do?
If I can't then I might as well go ADSL as thet will be cheaper thn £24.99

I have a T-Mobile phone, had it since 96. I am still on the orginal personal contract (free evenings and weekends with no limits) They do not force me to change, they honour my contract as a loyal customer. NTL have no idea on customer service do they.

Any advice would be welcome.

jellybaby
21-05-2005, 09:07
They wont be charging you for renting your own modem.....you jut wont be getting the discount on it any more.

NTL don't charge rent for their modems

sollp
21-05-2005, 10:16
Can't see why you don't go down the route of changing your modem subcription and getting one of the newer subscriptions and renting the modem. You get an uptodate modem, free repairs if needed free replacment modem if needed.
At the moment if your modem fails you'll have to find a company to repair it, at a cost to you. I take it you have the 3com cmx modem?

Toto
21-05-2005, 13:29
I got a letter the other day stating NTL are withdrawing the offer of the £5 discount for owning my own modem.
So they want to charge me rent for something I own?
Anyone else get a letter like this? Is there anything I can do?
If I can't then I might as well go ADSL as thet will be cheaper thn £24.99

I have a T-Mobile phone, had it since 96. I am still on the orginal personal contract (free evenings and weekends with no limits) They do not force me to change, they honour my contract as a loyal customer. NTL have no idea on customer service do they.

Any advice would be welcome.

OK, here's what you do, insist on a new modem, then sell the one you own. The new ntl modems are pretty good, so you may make a couple of quid back on the old modem and go from there. :)

Chris W
21-05-2005, 13:34
OK, here's what you do, insist on a new modem, then sell the one you own. The new ntl modems are pretty good, so you may make a couple of quid back on the old modem and go from there. :)

Won't make any money on the old modem because they are no use to anyone.... They can't be used in the UK either on ntl or telewest because both use rental modems.

There are quite few going on ebay at the moment at £1 with no bids....