PDA

View Full Version : strokes

kronas
22-09-2003, 01:29
US scientists have been working on ways to identify people who are at risk to strokes now new evidence suggests people who are at high risk from a stroke maybe identified while still in the mothers womb

malnourished mothers may be the cause........

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3003944.stm

Atomic22
22-09-2003, 19:23
sounds like total twaddle to me

lynx2oo2
22-09-2003, 23:34
I had a stroke a year ago, I'm only 30 now.

I know my mother was not malnourished.

I honestly think these people need to look deeper to find the cause.

Btw, I don't wish a stroke on anyone, I had mine at work, I collapsed because my right leg gave way and i had to eat with my fork in a fist for about 3 months because i had no grip on my right hand, can you imagine what that is like? ;) ;) ;)

danielf
23-09-2003, 00:03
Originally posted by lynx2oo2
I had a stroke a year ago, I'm only 30 now.

I know my mother was not malnourished.

I honestly think these people need to look deeper to find the cause.

Btw, I don't wish a stroke on anyone, I had mine at work, I collapsed because my right leg gave way and i had to eat with my fork in a fist for about 3 months because i had no grip on my right hand, can you imagine what that is like? ;) ;) ;)

I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you're ok now. The problem with this kind of thing is that several factors contribute to the risk of the event occurring. There's (presumably) genetic factors, smoking doesn't help, and there's loads more. These researchers claim that the mother's malnourishment may contribute as well. But that's all they are, factors that increase the risk in the general population. You may not be at risk from any of these, and still suffer a stroke, because in a way, everyone is at risk.

Having a stroke does not mean your mother was malnourished, or that you smoke, or that it runs in your family.

I'm sure these people would look deeper if they knew where to look.