PDA

View Full Version : Help needed: Life changing decisions

scrotnig
17-05-2005, 23:09
I have often, in my time at ntl, offered help and assistance to the members of this fine forum.

Now, unusually for me, I'm asking for help/advice/opinions myself.

Many will be aware that recently left ntl after four years to go and work for another company within the telecomms industry. What I only hinted at was how this was part of a 'big plan' to change my life for the better, the final phase of which is about to come up.

It started last autumn when I moved house. I lived in a right hole that had been falling apart gradually for years. i thought I'd never have the guts to do it...even though I'm only renting...but I did...and my life improved.

This made me realise that really my whole life needed a similar 'makeover'. I therefore identified that the next 'issue' was my job. Although I was sort of ok being there, it was clear that I was going nowehere, and I had to get out and move on. This meant leaving a very large 'comfort zone' and I agonised for ages over it. I've come close to leaving before, but always chickened out. This time though, with some support from friends, I had the courage to do it. This is especially good considering I do suffer a little from depression, and what can seem a brilliant idea one day can seem a million miles out of reach the next.

However, it's going reasonably well and this fact has inspired me to think I can take things to another level.

It has long been remarked to me that I wasted my talents doing what I do...that I should have gone to college and then to university. But I had a bad time at school, so left at 16, and seem to have spent the following years of my life almost revelling in my 'cannot do it' status, and being seemingly happy with my lot.

But now things are different. Now I have realised I can change things for the better. I have decided that I would like to go to university...part time, evenings...from the next academic year, and after some deliberation, I would like to do a law degree. part time, two eveings a week plus all the 'homework' so to speak.

I have thought of other things...breaking myself in gently by doing an A level first, for instance. But all this wastes time. I believe I have the ability, and I've long had an interest (well probably more like a fascination) for law.

I know people who've done law degrees, albeit full time ones. Some have juggled having young kids with the work involved AND held down jobs as well. if they can do it, I am sure I can. I will have to finance the course costs myself, but with my new 'steady' hours (no lates!) in my new job, I think I can really do it!
But then....I think of myself, I know what I'm like. I then think that I wouldn't stand the pace over four years (part time takes an extra year), even though the workload, while high, is considerably less than a full time law degree as the course is structured to accomodate those with jobs, families, etc. So then I lose confidence and think it's not really 'me' to do this.....I think of myself as perhaops a bit inherently lazy and disorganised.

But on the flip side I relish the challenge, I know if I don't do it now, at 27, it's going to be too late. And I so want to be able to say to people who knock me, 'look, I did it!'.

I should add I've no designs on actually going into law as a career...I just want to do this because it's a challenge and I enjoy the subject.

So....my question to the forum is...am i doing the right thing? Should I go for it? Or am I deluding myself?

Thanks for reading my boring crap!

danielf
17-05-2005, 23:13
There's only one way to find out I guess. I'd say go for it. Even if you fail, you'll at least have tried. My feeling is that there are a lot of people out there who are/should be kicking themselves for not having tried...

bmxbandit
17-05-2005, 23:15
my g/f's sister did a law degree at about your age, and she was a single mother at the time (2 young kids). it's taken a while tho, its a good few years after graduating before you can get anywhere, and even then you have to work your way up.

but on the whole, sounds like an excellent plan :tu:

take a moment to plan your finances first though...

scrotnig
17-05-2005, 23:17
my g/f's sister did a law degree at about your age, and she was a single mother at the time (2 young kids). it's taken a while tho, its a good few years after graduating before you can get anywhere, and even then you have to work your way up.

but on the whole, sounds like an excellent plan :tu:

take a moment to plan your finances first though...
Thanks...finances should be ok, as I'll still have my current full time job which will pay more than enough to keep me and pay for the course.

There's only one way to find out I guess. I'd say go for it. Even if you fail, you'll at least have tried. My feeling is that there are a lot of people out there who are/should be kicking themselves for not having tried...

Yes...that's a great part of my thinking behind it.

But what if I turn out to be no good at studying? I was certainly no good at school...couldn't revise for toffee.

bmxbandit
17-05-2005, 23:17
27 is NOT too late. if you could only see some of the people at uni, you would be amazed how they got as far in life as they have... you have a massive advantage over many of us!

danielf
17-05-2005, 23:23
Yes...that's a great part of my thinking behind it.

But what if I turn out to be no good at studying? I was certainly no good at school...couldn't revise for toffee.

I don't know, you may have to work harder, but I would also think that you probably are a bit more motivated and interested now, which should help. And again, there's only one way to find out...

AndrewJ
17-05-2005, 23:25
Go for it, you only live once in this life, you have your youth, and your dreams its all anyone needs to make a dream come true.

Raistlin
17-05-2005, 23:28
OK, pay attention, here comes the science bit:

Going For It (GFI):

Pros:

You might get what you want out of it
You will certainly learn something (if only about yourself)
You will gain new experiences and therefore become a more rounded person as a result
You may discover a real talent for Law and decide to pursue it as a career
Cons:

Cost / Time / Effort - these are all resources that you will have to expend to achive your goal. If you have these resources to spare then you can ignore this Con.
You might not get the outcome you want
Not Going For It (NGFI):

Pros:

Cost / Time / Effort - Again, resources but this time you are saving them not expending them. Use the same logic as for Cons above.
Safe option, you cannot fail.
Cons:

You will never know for sure what you could have achieved, this will eat away at you and you will think about this for a long time (possibly for ever).
You haven't given yourself the chance to be all that you can be. By not going for it you have narrowed your options, and therefore restricted yourself to only the safe options.
Summary:

GFI: Pros = 4, Cons = 2
NGFI: Pros = 2, Cons = 2

So, the Cons of the two options cancel each other out, meaning that neither option is any worse than the other (ignoring the fact that we are still factoring the resources here).
However, the Pros are at odds. The Pros of GFI outweigh the Pros of NGFI by a ratio of 2:1.

The Balance Summary therefore is: Go For It

You have to remember though, the Pros/Cons I have identified are based on my assumptions of the likely Pros/Cons for you. I don't know you, your circumstances, or your true feelings. Try conducting an honest excersize yourself (based on how I've done it above). Be totally honest with yourself though or you're wasting your time, and only include those factors which are true Pros / Cons.

Don't over think the Pros / Cons either. Just scribble them out furiously without really thinking and see what comes up, you'll probably be quite suprised.

For what it's worth (even without the stuff above), I think you should go for it. I've just decided to do an OU degree (BSC Honours, Business with Computing). It's going to take ages, but for me it will be worth it in the end.

Whatever you decide, I wish you luck and happiness.

greencreeper
17-05-2005, 23:28
You'll love it. The part-timers and mature students both tend to have a strong sense of community. They work together, play together, and support each other through the hellish assignments and exams.

My mum did her law degree very late in life - in her 40s. She now works for the CPS and is happy.

Throw yourself into it! Oh and maybe look at Career Development Loans. Most Uni's will have funds to support those struggling.

Derek
17-05-2005, 23:29
Go for it.

homealone
17-05-2005, 23:55
I went back to college when I was 26, for 4 years - but I didn't do a job, as well - I wish you luck :tu:

Halcyon
18-05-2005, 00:22
I'm going to say "Go for it" too.
Sure there will be times when the going might get tough when you have a busy week at work and lots of work to do, but I feel like you have thought this through well and am sure you would be able to do it.
You say your life is getting better so add this to the list and see how good you will feel once you complete this degree.
I reccomend you go for it.

Maggy
18-05-2005, 00:31
My brother-in-law decided to become a solicitor when in his 30's..He succeeded very well indeed so I say go for it.. ;)

bopdude
18-05-2005, 01:50
My brother-in-law decided to become a solicitor when in his 30's..He succeeded very well indeed so I say go for it.. ;)

But thats just it Scrotnig said ........

I should add I've no designs on actually going into law as a career...I just want to do this because it's a challenge and I enjoy the subject.

So....my question to the forum is...am i doing the right thing? Should I go for it? Or am I deluding myself?

Thanks for reading my boring crap!

Now to me, although I admire your courage, I would put all the time / effort / money into something I would use in the future :2cents:

I know you would have it to fall back on, but if you have no need of it now would you in the future, why not study for something you would enjoy and make a living out of, if need be.

kronas
18-05-2005, 01:57
scrotnig i know exactly how you feel, im in the rut of depression and know how it feels, but in this case i have to say that if your really wanting to achieve the law degree go for it!

look in to what you want to do after the degree what area of law do you wish to join and have a career in.

i think alot of people these days have to try a wide range of subjects before they find the right one, some never do but they try and try new things and eventually find a 'comfort zone' as you have mentioned.

getting the law degree can do you no harm and doing it part time is an excellent idea, juggling work and play is one of the fundamentals of bringing happiness IMO for most people.

bopdude
18-05-2005, 02:03
look in to what you want to do after the degree what area of law do you wish to join and have a career in.

Kronnie, long time, read his post, he doesn't want to go into law, he just wants it for himself :dozey:

kronas
18-05-2005, 02:05
Kronnie, long time, read his post, he doesn't want to go into law, he just wants it for himself :dozey:

oops sorry i tailed off reading it towards the end tiredness kills :p: seriously though go for it anyway, if you have a passion for it as you seem to do then enjoy! :)

scrotnig
18-05-2005, 02:22
Thanks for all the comments so far.

It's likely that I would use the degree career wise, but just not specifically for a career in law itself. A law degree is well respected and will open the door to a myriad of other careers.

I'm just totally scared. Part of me is confident that as long as I apply myself and structure my time I will be able to do this, but the other part of me that 'knows' what I'm like says, no, this will be a disaster, you can't do it, you'll lose interest, etc etc.

So it scares me. It's a much bigger decision than it might look like, for me. It's not just about a degree etc, it's about exceeding my own expectations of my skills, and also about laying certain demons to rest.

kronas
18-05-2005, 02:33
it seems your mind is playing tricks on you, all you need to do is sit down and look at what makes you think your interested in law.....if your THAT interested in it then go for it, atleast you will experiance something new and judging from your posts your up for something that your enthusiastic about.

Ramrod
18-05-2005, 09:13
I should add I've no designs on actually going into law as a career...I just want to do this because it's a challenge and I enjoy the subject.I wouldn't do something as demanding as a degree if it didn't have a job at the end of it...........or to put it another way-I would only do a degree in a subject that I could or wanted to work in at the end of it.
It's likely that I would use the degree career wise, but just not specifically for a career in law itself. A law degree is well respected and will open the door to a myriad of other careers.If thats the case then go for it! :tu: :)

greencreeper
18-05-2005, 10:09
I'm just totally scared. Part of me is confident that as long as I apply myself and structure my time I will be able to do this, but the other part of me that 'knows' what I'm like says, no, this will be a disaster, you can't do it, you'll lose interest, etc etc.
That's actually very normal - I think everyone goes through it, even the fresh-faced 18 yr olds. I know I had doubts. Self-doubt is good - tempers our actions - but can hold us back.

Tuftus
18-05-2005, 14:35
Go for it!

My Mrs was in the same situation and left her job to go to uni part time, things have been alot better that I was thinking they would be financially, sure she almost always has her head in a book but she is happy which is all that matters to me.

Jules
18-05-2005, 15:05
Give it a go you are not leaving your job so you have a safety zone, if you don't at least try you will look back when you are older and regret it

scrotnig
18-05-2005, 23:31
it seems your mind is playing tricks on you, all you need to do is sit down and look at what makes you think your interested in law.....if your THAT interested in it then go for it, atleast you will experiance something new and judging from your posts your up for something that your enthusiastic about.
That's spot on kronas...my mind IS playing tricks. One minute I think I can do it and am full of confidence, the next i am terrified and want to back out.

That's actually very normal - I think everyone goes through it, even the fresh-faced 18 yr olds. I know I had doubts. Self-doubt is good - tempers our actions - but can hold us back.
Thanks...that is reassuring. I certainly hope that's the case. I have never considered myself a 'study' type of person...at times I am certain I won't have the gumption to see it through to the end.

Go for it!

My Mrs was in the same situation and left her job to go to uni part time, things have been alot better that I was thinking they would be financially, sure she almost always has her head in a book but she is happy which is all that matters to me.
Thanks...as long as I can still keep a 'life' and not be studying in EVERY spare moment, I think I should be able to do it....I think!

Give it a go you are not leaving your job so you have a safety zone, if you don't at least try you will look back when you are older and regret it
This is true....it's now or never, basically.

Lord Nikon
19-05-2005, 02:23
There is a saying, Never regret that which you have tried your hardest in, and failed to achieve, Only regret that which you failed to try at.

There is no shame in failing when the effort you put in was your best one. For there is nothing more that can be expected from someone than their best. The only shame is that of knowing you could have tried harder but didn't. Also it matters not what others think of you, only what you think of yourself.

Simply put - Try it, even if you don't make it, you tried, better to do that than spend the rest of your life wondering what could have been.

shredder
19-05-2005, 18:44
scrotnig just go for it! i'm not the studying type either...but a week on friday i finish uni! i didn't think i'd see it through but i have! My degree is in business and tourism management and i don't have a clue what i want to do careerwise yet but i'm still glad i did it and one way or another i know it will come in useful. don't be sat there in 5 years time wondering what if???

scrotnig
20-05-2005, 21:17
Thanks to everyone for their supportive words.

It's pretty certain I'll be doing a degree of some sort...though the thought of it still petrifies me.

The other issue now is, do I do law or not? Is it a good idea to go for that or would I be better going for something a bit less 'intense'? Especially given that I have zero studying experience since age 16.

Bear in mind of course that I still need to hold down my full time job as well.

Jules
20-05-2005, 21:19
I am so pleased that you have decided to go for it....has to be up to you what you choose to study but I wish you well in what ever you decide :)

Raistlin
20-05-2005, 21:22
Why not go for something that compliments your current job?

If you are working in the Private Sector you might find that something Business oriented will provide the educational content that you are looking for, still be interesting to you, and you might be able to draw on some of your experiences at work to help you through it.

shredder
20-05-2005, 21:49

It's pretty certain I'll be doing a degree of some sort...though the thought of it still petrifies me.

The other issue now is, do I do law or not? Is it a good idea to go for that or would I be better going for something a bit less 'intense'? Especially given that I have zero studying experience since age 16.

Really glad you decided to go for it, it's worth it in the end! Try looking on some university websites close to your area as some do part time evening courses, or try the open university website/prospectus. :)

greencreeper
21-05-2005, 14:52
You don't have to just do law. You can combine it with, say, business. Have a read of the various prospect... er, what's the plural of "prospectus"? ...the various course listing booklets available from Universities :D

scrotnig
21-05-2005, 15:04
You don't have to just do law. You can combine it with, say, business. Have a read of the various prospect... er, what's the plural of "prospectus"? ...the various course listing booklets available from Universities :D
Wouldn't that be just adding to the already huge workload though?

Charlie_Bubble
21-05-2005, 15:09

Have you considered a technology based course? Either a business IT or computing course? There's plenty of help and guidance on this board if you choose to do this and find something a bit tricky.

Only just saw this thread today and I'm glad that you have pretty much decided to pursue your degree goal. I was counted as a mature student when I went and did my Computing and IT degree when I was 22. I sometimes think that going to uni straight after school is a mistake. I certainly think that if I went back now I would enjoy it more, and probably do better at it and get more out of it.

Hopefully success on the course will help you out in your outlook on things too. Good luck :)

Probably not. A combined course dips into two subject areas rather than going deeply into one. You'd have a number of modules or subjects to do in a law degree and a number in a business degree. A combined degree would either leave some modules out, combine some or only touch on the basics of them.

greencreeper
21-05-2005, 15:11
No. The terminology will vary I suspect but you basically have a "major stream". Take my degree - I did a major stream in Information Systems, but I could have picked Multimedia, Statistics (eeek), or Software Development. You may be able to do with Law with Business, or a European language, or Politics.

A dual degree would increase your workload.

[edit] Charlie explains it better than I ever could :)