PDA

View Full Version : born Evil ?

sir_drinks_alot
17-05-2005, 21:28
I watched a dvd about us serial killer ted bundy the otherday. and it got me Thinking Are People born Evil or is it a psyche that Develops over time.

AndrewJ
17-05-2005, 21:31
I believe it depends on there upbringing if they are shown kindness and respect from elders and from friends they are okay, it has to many variables it would take me about 9k words to explain it if not more.

Everything from the house, the area they live in, there name, there surrounding families, there religion, the structure they grow into like are there parents drug takers/dealers are they having bad times due to this financially is the child being neglected etc...

Russ
17-05-2005, 21:35
In the words of Frankie Howerd, nay nay and thrice nay.

I look in to my daughters eyes - how can anyone as young as that be evil? I will not ever accept that people are born evil. It is something which develops.

dilli-theclaw
17-05-2005, 21:37
MMMmmm - I've never really thought about it to be honest. I'll get back to you.

Right now (without actually thinking for longer than a couple of mins) I'd have to say no.

Now if anyone can post some evidence for a 'yes' I'm prepared to listen.

AndrewJ
17-05-2005, 21:42
Agreed although sadly you could say they are on further thought, if there parents commit crime and are a trouble within a few years say 4-5years old they start committing crime.

Children are born innocent and are very quick to be pulled down wrong path, but this does not fall just on the parents shoulders it falls on the general structure of our lives as we know it.

The amount of war we show on telly, the way kids want guns and violent video games, the current Chav culture which runs most of the council estates and some private ones is not helping, with kids being pushed into crime by there brothers or by mates.

Now this does not grow into a killer, but in other situations say abuse from a family member or outside can warp a childââ‚ƚ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s mind to the point of snapping if they do not have a release in someone. This is where killers come from in a percentage I believe in my opinion.

Derek
17-05-2005, 22:16
99.9% is upbringing

I do believe a tiny percentage may be genetic. Something somewhere short circuited in the brain that gives some people less of a moral responsibility than others.

Halcyon
17-05-2005, 22:38
I agree with Andrew James.
I think it is a mixture of the place you are brought up in, the family and support you have whilst you are growing up, and the environment around you.
Religion can play a part in it if you are led down a path of evil things. But this could be linked with peer pressure and persuasion where someone else has got you into it and focusses on getting you into these evil ways and evil doings.

Most often however it is linked with the way the person was brought up and where they lived / also people they had as role models when growing up.

Ramrod
17-05-2005, 22:42
99.9% is upbringing

I do believe a tiny percentage may be genetic. Something somewhere short circuited in the brain that gives some people less of a moral responsibility than others.Well put! :tu:

AndrewJ
18-05-2005, 02:39
99.9% is upbringing

I do believe a tiny percentage may be genetic. Something somewhere short circuited in the brain that gives some people less of a moral responsibility than others.

I agree there :tu:, but the mass majority are as above.

kronas
18-05-2005, 02:42
99.9% is upbringing

certainly, alot of people and including ladys say im too nice, well my whole family is like that, but im the nicest of the lot and im not bragging but its true, i put myself out to help others and my mannerisms are just like that too.

Nidge
18-05-2005, 04:35
School has a lot to do with it, bring back the cane.

Paul
18-05-2005, 05:21
School has a lot to do with it, bring back the cane.School makes you evil ?

Anyway - I don't believe anyone is born evil.

bopdude
18-05-2005, 08:14
I believe that we are born with different tolerances of things, even from an early stage, and that these will sway or ways as we grow up, so yes, in a way, I believe we are born to it, how often do you hear about twins growing up to be on different sides of the law ? same upbringing but something goes wrong, even early on.
:2cents:

Chimaera
18-05-2005, 08:59
You've only got to watch these 'reality' TV programmes about the nannies that deal with 'out of control' children, some of them are described as 'evil' by their parents. In every case I've watched, poor parenting has been the cause. I don't think anyone is born evil - but there are certainly some sub-standard parents, putting it mildly!

SMHarman
18-05-2005, 09:08
Nature v Nurture - Nurture wins (or loses every time).

Jon M
18-05-2005, 09:14
It's a weighted question, the example gives the impression that "evil" means someone who is a hideous and brutal killer.

Personally, I believe we're all born with the tendancy and ability to disobey God. (sin)

"Evil" in the sense you seem to have said it, is a total abandonment of restraint in opposition of all the barriers like conscience and moral awareness that I also believe we all have built in but can choose to ignore or suppress.

In a sense therefore, we all have the ability (different to a will or intent) to commit the most horrible crimes, but those restraints, whether they be internal like conscience, or external like obeying the laws of your society, are usually a deciding factor.