1. 2006 Release
2. Cell Processor at 3.2Ghz with 2.18TFLOPS of performance
3. Blu-Ray DVD Drive
4. Detachable 2.5 inch HD drive
5. Memory Stick Duo, SD, and CF slots
6. USB (4 in the back, 2 in the front)
7. Video chat, internet access, digital photo viewing, music and video
8. Backward compatible with both the original PS and PS2
9. Bluetooth support and controllers (up to 7 controllers), controllers last 24 hours on single charge
10. 256MB of XDR Main Ram at 3.2Ghz
11. 256MB of GDDR VRAM at 700Mhz
12. RSX "Reality Synthesizer" from nVidia (128bit pixel precision, 1080p resolution, 300 million transistors, 90nm, more powerful than two geforce 6800 ultras)
13. 2HDMI outputs
14. PSP will be able to connect and integrate (obviously)
15. A/V Multi-Out
16. SPDIF Optical Out
17. Gigabit Ethernet
18. PS3 is "capable of reaching 10 terraflops of processing power"

Source: http://www.ps3forums.com/viewtopic.php?t=2106&start=120

PLAYSTATIONÂÂƚ®3 Specifications
Product name PLAYSTATIONÂÂƚ®3
Logo PLAYSTATIONÂÂƚ®3
CPU Cell Processor
PowerPC-base Core @3.2GHz
1 VMX vector unit per core
512KB L2 cache
7 x SPE @3.2GHz
7 x 128b 128 SIMD GPRs
7 x 256KB SRAM for SPE
* 1 of 8 SPEs reserved for
redundancy
total floating point
performance: 218 GFLOPS
GPU RSX @550MHz
1.8 TFLOPS floating point
performance
Full HD (up to 1080p) x 2
channels
Multi-way programmable parallel
floating point shader
pipelines
Sound Dolby 5.1ch, DTS, LPCM, etc. (Cell-
base processing)
Memory 256MB XDR Main RAM @3.2GHz
256MB GDDR3 VRAM @700MHz
System Bandwidth Main RAM 25.6GB/s
VRAM 22.4GB/s
RSX 20GB/s (write) + 15GB/s
(read)
SB 2.5GB/s (write) +
2.5GB/s (read)
System Floating Point Performance 2 TFLOPS
Storage HDD Detachable 2.5" HDD slot x 1
I/O USB Front x 4, Rear x 2 (USB2.0)
Memory Stick standard/Duo, PRO x 1
SD standard/mini x 1
CompactFlash (Type I, II) x 1
Communication Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T)
x 3 (input x 1 + output x 2)
Wi-Fi IEEE 802.11 b/g
Bluetooth Bluetooth 2.0 (EDR)
Controller Bluetooth (up to 7)
USB2.0 (wired)
Wi-Fi (PSP®)
Network (over IP)
AV Output Screen size 480i, 480p, 720p,
1080i, 1080p
HDMI HDMI out x 2
Analog AV MULTI OUT x 1
Digital audio DIGITAL OUT
(OPTICAL) x 1
Disc media CD PlayStationÂÂƚ® CD-ROM
* read only PlayStationÂÂƚ®2 CD-ROM
CD-DA CD-DA (ROM), CD-R,
CD-RW
SACD SACD Hybrid (CD
layer), SACD HD
DualDisc DualDisc (audio
side), DualDisc
(DVD side)
DVD PlayStationÂÂƚ®2 DVD-ROM
PLAYSTATIONÂÂƚ®3 DVD-ROM
DVD-Video DVD-ROM, DVD-R,
DVD-RW, DVD+R,
DVD+RW
Blu-ray Disc PLAYSTATIONÂÂƚ®3 BD-ROM
BD-Video BD-ROM, BD-R,
BD-RE

Once More:

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/614/614665p1.html

May 16, 2005 - We don't know much, but Sony promises that "Grand Theft Auto Next" will be a PS3 launch title. This information comes from some people at the Sony E3 2005 press conference currently in progress, but we've yet to confirm the report with our own editors.

Its here people, More powerful (slightly) than the xbox. GTA, Bluetooth controls (Scary battery life), media centre, and supports every format under the sun (including blue ray) best HD available.

kronas
17-05-2005, 02:10
i was just reading all this....tasty but im still iimpressed more so by the XBOX 360.

until i see some (in game) footage i will reserve fruther judgment.

edit: release of the console has been confirmed as spring 2006!

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/05/16/news_6124681.html

more games confirmed to be released:

the process confirmed several games for the console. Hideo Kojima introduced Konami's Metal Gear Solid 4, Capcom showed off Devil May Cry 4, Namco unveiled Tekken 6, Polyphony Digital trotted out Gran Turismo 5, SCEE showed off a brutal demo of the next Killzone.

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20050517/sce01.jpg

:erm:

hutchy
17-05-2005, 03:06
it's looking impressive to me.

OT: Is gamespot.com working for anyone? Cause it isnt for me, it hasnt been working all day

Gaz22
17-05-2005, 03:13
Some game pictures:

http://www.zombieculture.com/img/Killzone_02.jpg

http://www.zombieculture.com/img/KZ3_03.jpg

http://www.imgmag.org/images/xain1z/Killzone_01.jpg

From the new Killzone game.

Electrolyte01
17-05-2005, 07:53
So far the XBox 360 has extremely dissapointed me, but by the looks of the PS3 and the spec (more powerful than 2 6800 Ultras???) I'm really impressed.

zing_deleted
17-05-2005, 08:38
Are there any official sony links with these specs??have I missed one here? they all appear to be forums and by that could be speculative

gary_580
17-05-2005, 09:04
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4554025.stm

looks awful, and why change the controller, they had a winning formula there

Jarandco
17-05-2005, 09:21
Hmm i'm undecided now the ps3 does look (spec and game wise) very nice, not too keen on the design, but it isnt bad! Alkso whats up with havng 7 bluetooth controllers? Wierd number isnt it?

I still like the xbox 360 a lot though, it does have some great games coming out for it, but as a news site put it they believe that xbox 360 and ps3 are in different console generations..

Suppose ill have to buy them both if ive got anoygh cash!

Stephen
17-05-2005, 09:30
I prefer the look of the xbox360 and think it will be the better machine, but of course the PS3 will probably be the biggest selling again. I don't like the styling of the PS3 at all, however I will probably get both machines.

TheBlueRaja
17-05-2005, 10:20
Dont believe the hype on any of them - just wait until you see it in action before you make your mind up.

They will feed you with BS until the day of release.

BTW - if you goto gamespot (See Kronas's post) and look at the game footage they have - can anybody spot something that could be concidered an actual in game shot as opposed to being pre-rendered?

Jarandco
17-05-2005, 11:09
True, nearly all of the sony shots are not in game, whereas a large chunk of footgae shown by MS has been in game, and still looks very good, we will hopefully get more of the real facts during the actual E3 event!

I gotta say thought the Killzone 2 movie does look very good! :D

Halcyon
17-05-2005, 11:14
Crikey !!! That controller lookslike a Boomerang !

I think Sony as always will dominate this new generation of consoles.
However, you never know what the new Nintendo Revolution could bring and with a lot of Japanese games developpers on their sides, Nintendo could turn things around and get back to the top may be.

As for the 360, It depends what the kick off price will be and what games will be coming out on it.

Kevin
17-05-2005, 13:27
Thing is tho those Killzone screenshots dont look that special, in fact current xbox prob output those as they are...still await something breathtaking before I make my mind up...

Posted from http://www.theinquirer.org/?article=23285

SO IBM hypersters are claiming their cell chip can do two teraflops per second. what about the lastest power5??? Go to IBM.com and find out here.

There you can see the latest and fastest power5 dual core processors can do 56.78 Gigaflop/sec in an eight way configuration. That's 16 Power5 cores combined, and the total is only 56.78 gigaflops for 16 lowly Power5 cores, or, about three gigaflops/per core. which makes sense, a float point operation takes more than one clock to finish, and each power5 core has probably two or more FP units...

So, there is no magic, you can't possibly do more than one instruction in one clock in one unit. You can do multiple if you have multiple units. To have 1000gigaflops, you will need 500 units each operate at two gigaflops.

A teraflop means 1000 gigaflops, so IBM is claiming that one PS3 is 2000% faster than an eight way power5 server selling at half a million bucks??

This is stupid.

Dave Y

Stephen
17-05-2005, 15:01
Here is a pic of the console and Controller.

TheBlueRaja
17-05-2005, 15:11
True, nearly all of the sony shots are not in game, whereas a large chunk of footgae shown by MS has been in game, and still looks very good, we will hopefully get more of the real facts during the actual E3 event!

I gotta say thought the Killzone 2 movie does look very good! :D

Yeah but the problem is that all these people are running around now going WOW did you see Killzone 2 - it looks the nuts - believeing its in game footage and not a video.

Sony are really, really bad for doing this - they did it last time with the PS2 and now there doing it again with PS3.

At least with Xbox 360 you are actually seeing some in game footage.

Stickin with the PC though :D

NEONKNIGHT
17-05-2005, 15:41
Wonder why the design of the PS3 has been modelled on a Stainless Steel Bread Bin ? :D

LOL! ;)

Stephen
17-05-2005, 16:44
Wonder why the design of the PS3 has been modelled on a Stainless Steel Bread Bin ? :D

LOL! ;)
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2005/05/8.jpg

also the PS2 looked a bit like a toaster, looks like they are creating a kitchen set!

Nice to see you will be able to get the PS3 in White, Silver or Black but the machine still looks horrible to me.

Tezcatlipoca
17-05-2005, 17:23
Its here people

Well, a list of specs, & some pre-rendered game footage.

More powerful (slightly) than the xbox.

Debatable.

And I wouldn't believe any of Sony's hype/BS about the "Cell", not after all the crap they spouted about the "Emotion Engine" in the PS2.

and supports every format under the sun (including blue ray) best HD available.

They'd better hope that BluRay doesn't lose out to HD-DVD then....

And I wouldn't believe any of Sony's hype/BS about the "Cell", not after all the crap they spouted about the "Emotion Engine" in the PS2.

e.g. http://archives.cnn.com/2000/TECH/computing/02/01/emotion.engine.idg/

Some relevant stuff in here (about the Cell, & Sony's past form re. hype & BS) - http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=22990&highlight=cell

Damien
17-05-2005, 17:38
We will see, however Microsoft are just as capable of equal hype. The graphic chip is more impressive IMO.

Jarandco
17-05-2005, 17:39
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2005/05/8.jpg

also the PS2 looked a bit like a toaster, looks like they are creating a kitchen set!

Nice to see you will be able to get the PS3 in White, Silver or Black but the machine still looks horrible to me.

George Forman grill i believe! (Found that pic on a forum, i didnt make it!)

http://img30.echo.cx/img30/8594/ps3grill2wa.jpg

But seriously, it doesnt look that bad! Plus who really care i bought an Xbox and that isnt exactly pleasing to the eye, but what dopes it matter it just sits underneath my tv gathering dust anyway, its what it can do inside that counts!

I want to see more from both the xbox 360 and ps3, but ill defiently be getting the 360 just for Live! :D

hutchy
17-05-2005, 20:01
Dont believe the hype on any of them - just wait until you see it in action before you make your mind up.

They will feed you with BS until the day of release.

BTW - if you goto gamespot (See Kronas's post) and look at the game footage they have - can anybody spot something that could be concidered an actual in game shot as opposed to being pre-rendered?

From what I gather all (or most) of the PS3 footage was rendered on the spot by the PS3

Tezcatlipoca
17-05-2005, 20:35
So far the XBox 360 has extremely dissapointed me, but by the looks of the PS3 and the spec (more powerful than 2 6800 Ultras???) I'm really impressed.

I don't see how you can be extremely disappointed by the 360 yet really impressed by the PS3 :confused:

Both are *very* powerful. On paper (& with added Sony BS e.g. their CELL hype, & e.g. adding meaningless TFLOP values together to get an equally meaningless combined TFLOP value*) the PS3 may sound a bit more powerful, but I doubt it will be particularly different in reality.

I'm more interested in which will have the better games.

PS3 sounds like, once again, Sony still have a severe case of sequelitis. And I bet they have a a p***-poor launch line-up for the PS3, just like they did with the PS1 and especially the PS2 (although, of course, it's probably a given that the PS3 will still wipe the floor with the 360 & the Rev when it comes to sales figures).

* Yes, admittedly, MS also saw fit to spout pointless numbers too.

We will see, however Microsoft are just as capable of equal hype. The graphic chip is more impressive IMO.

Heh, MS do do good hype, but Sony are undoubtedly the masters of hype & BS. Pre-launch crap about the PS2 showed that.

From what little info each company has given about the GPUs, I don't think one sounds any more impressive than the other.

From what I gather all (or most) of the PS3 footage was rendered on the spot by the PS3

What I have heard & read:

Only the GT5 and F1 2006 footage was in-game & running on a PS3.

The UT2007 footage was in-game, but was running on a high spec Windows PC & not the PS3.

All other game footage (including the gorgeous Killzone 2 footage) was pre-rendered.

AndrewJ
17-05-2005, 21:06
I find the Ps3 from reports to likely blow the 360 into the dust. Although yet I also realise that it is most likely the old fight will continue as it does now, the Playstation 2 is superior in some regions the Xbox is not, yet it goes into this in respect likely to the Playstation3 and the Xbox 360.

I myself like the Playstation3 from reports over the Xbox down to the Playstation likely ability to run more demanding games, the Xbox 360 offering live is nice, but with the amount of kids cheating on it now with modification patches for games, I can see it easily loosing its appeal once the majority of kids get hold of games and the latest patches for cheating on the live games.

I like the Playstation3âââ€à …¡Ã‚¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s design, it will fit in nicely with my current setup but those with an older styled setup I can see it being an eyesore. The control pad worries me I think the guy from BMW designed that its awful but yet I bet is ergonomic to use, I do wonder also if they are going to charge about £300 for the console with a single pad and about £50 for the memory card.?

How much you guys/girls think the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 will sell for on Ebay on the first few week of release when numbers are short.

TheBlueRaja
17-05-2005, 21:22

I promise you all my rep points to the left that that is a filthy lie by whoever said it.

I am absolutely, definately and utterly convinced that the majority of that was pre-rendered.

Stephen
17-05-2005, 21:24
I promise you all my rep points to the left that that is a filthy lie by whoever said it.

I am absolutely, definately and utterly convinced that the majority of that was pre-rendered.

After seeing some of the F1 footage as well as fight night and Killzone it raelly seems pre rendered.

I have seen the xbox stuff and that is all ingame and looks amazing

Tezcatlipoca
17-05-2005, 21:29

Sadly, most people will probably blindy believe it's all realtime in-game footage.

Sony always wins the hype war.

AndrewJ
17-05-2005, 21:35
Strange you would think with Microsofts massive financial power it would smash Sony with the publicity stunts and the adverts.

Richard M
17-05-2005, 22:36

After seeing some of the F1 footage as well as fight night and Killzone it raelly seems pre rendered.

You've obviously never seen a high end PC run a 3DMark benchmark then.

TheBlueRaja
17-05-2005, 22:52
Yes i have, and i stick by my comments, there is no way that the PS3 is powerful enough to run Killzone with that amount of detail.

Tezcatlipoca
17-05-2005, 23:43
Interesting post from another forum:

http://forums.britxbox.co.uk/viewtopic.xbox?p=832608#832608

Sony's Cell processor is basically the same as the PowerPC one in the XBox 360 but with 1 core rather than 3. However, it has 8 128 bit Vector processors in there as well. These are incredibly powerful for video applications and digital processing. They are also a nightmare to program for. Sony's Terraflops claim includes the use of all 8 of these vector processors but in all likelihood only a handful of hand tuned games will ever make use of them and at huge expense. GT5 for example would likely make use of them as a showcase for the system but 99% of other games aren't going to have the budget to hand tune the code to use them. A triple core PowerPC on the other hand can use all 6 of those threads with much greater ease. The end result is more usable power from the 360 than the PS3.

Any or all of the above may be total ******** but that's what it looks like to me.

kronas
18-05-2005, 00:32
im still waiting for ingame footage of any sony stuff, im more impressed by the 360 atleast MS has shown alot of in-game footage.

condemed for PS3 = no movies but XBOX version has in-game movies ?

something is not right, i dont doubt the power of the PS3 but will games use all that power ? if so is it going to be noticeable in comparison to what we currently have ?

most of the titles on sony's machine are just continuations of current franchises....

i still prefer the 360!

Tezcatlipoca
18-05-2005, 01:53
im still waiting for ingame footage of any sony stuff

Prob be a fair while to wait!

Hmm...Steal the show with a hyped up spec list & some pre-rendered videos. Sit back & laugh while everyone gushes over said videos. Chuckle at the thought of once again dominating the market through hype, consumer gullibility, & yet more sequels.

something is not right, i dont doubt the power of the PS3 but will games use all that power ?

Well, if the PS2 is anything to go by.... Nope, they won't. Not for a long while, at least. When the PS2 came out, there was not a single decent "AAA" launch title. It took quite a while for anything quality to come out, & longer for the developers to really start getting to grips with the PS2's abilities (as it was hard to program for...hmm and apparently the PS3 isn't that easy to code for either...). But, of course, it was still a sell-out success from Day One. I predict the same for PS3.

most of the titles on sony's machine are just continuations of current franchises....

Yup, no surprise there. Another Devil May Cry, another Gran Turismo, another GTA, another MGS, and of course Tekken 6.........

kronas
18-05-2005, 01:58
matt your right there there are too many gullable people out here who will lap up the sony hype, to me its very poor for a company to show pre-rendered video sequences of a new console, they should be confident with the specification to show in-game footage.

oh well im still backing the 360 and if the stupid gaming public sits up and notices what the intense quality the 360 has in its own franchises and new games (in-game footage included) then its got to be a winner.

i know this is a sony thread but im vehemently disappointed in them.

and the controller design looks horrid!

oh and make that about 3 versions of MGS

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/05/17/news_6125243.html

:rolleyes:

Tristan
18-05-2005, 18:49
Yup, no surprise there. Another Devil May Cry, another Gran Turismo, another GTA, another MGS, and of course Tekken 6.........

As opposed to Project Gotham 3 (or is that MSR4?), Halo 3, Perfect Dark 2.... Microsoft are just as bad I'm afraid. It's only Nintendo who are consistantly innovative, and even they've been slipping in the last couple of years.

What does make me laugh though is how people can be so childishly partisan over the manufacturer of their chosen console. I own an XBox, but that doesn't mean I think the PS2 is rubbish, and it certainly doesn't mean I'm casting any judgements over the PS3. People should grow up.

Damien
18-05-2005, 19:24
As opposed to Project Gotham 3 (or is that MSR4?), Halo 3, Perfect Dark 2.... Microsoft are just as bad I'm afraid. It's only Nintendo who are consistantly innovative, and even they've been slipping in the last couple of years.

What does make me laugh though is how people can be so childishly partisan over the manufacturer of their chosen console. I own an XBox, but that doesn't mean I think the PS2 is rubbish, and it certainly doesn't mean I'm casting any judgements over the PS3. People should grow up.

I agree. This fanboy attitude and loyalty to what is simply a money making box is immature. Xbox Hype, PS3 Hype. They seem both as powerful as each other, the only difference seems to be in the graphic chip in which the playstation has a slight lead.

Console fanboys are motived by a tribal attitude to be among a group and to be better than other groups. Sony and MS are relatively equal. They are both hyping and releasing sequel after squeal. You buy consoles to play games, the best console is the one with the games you want to play and no talk "well, actually thats pre-rendered not in game graphics. Sony suck!! MS rulz! They have real game footage" will decide the fate of either console. BUY CONSOLES FOR THE GAMES, NOT THE SPEC. (especially when the spec is the same)

Nintendo are the only ones who seem to have a understanding of this, they haven't tried to 'outspec' the PS3 and xbox. They have shown a small, sleek, box. It has a cd drive to put in games. Is there console about "converging the home digital experience", "Bringing people together in a way not seen before","Allowing the digital lifestyle to expand into the persons life experance?". NO. Its not. The main other feature is the ability to play GAMES. Downloading N64 games and so on. Nintendo have again played the 'we're about the games' card and lets hope it works.

The_real_dj
18-05-2005, 23:15
Im with the 360 to be honest! Not because of any of the specs or hardware.
The main reason i think it will do well is because of the support they are giving to game developers. They have developed something called XNA which is designed to make a lot of boring tasks very very simple on 360. Making the console easy to program for will make the games better!! :)

kronas
19-05-2005, 00:50
im no fanboy but yes XNA is a very good peice of kit allowing developers to produce games with tools already available and for easy porting of games from PC to console, there will be no need to create language tools to manipulate textures the way developers want.

the language used is microsoft visual studios 2005 so it will be easier to code than the PS3.

i have seen some in-game footage now and suffice to say im still not as impressed as the 360 purely becuase the PS3 textures look square and not really 'round' but im sure MS will have something up its sleeve in the gameplay department....

hutchy
19-05-2005, 06:26
Umm, hate to burst your MS bubble but PS3 is emplying tried and tested game development techniques which are already employed in pc gaming, so PS3 is going to be just as easy, (if not easier) to develop for because it won't require as much propriety code like Visual Studio does

Graham M
19-05-2005, 07:58
Crikey !!! That controller lookslike a Boomerang !

I think Sony as always will dominate this new generation of consoles.
However, you never know what the new Nintendo Revolution could bring and with a lot of Japanese games developpers on their sides, Nintendo could turn things around and get back to the top may be.

As for the 360, It depends what the kick off price will be and what games will be coming out on it.

HAhahahahaHHahahahahahahahahaa

ahem.

Gareth
19-05-2005, 12:26
I once went for an interview at SN Systems, who produce development tools used by console programmers worldwide. Their products are very, very cool. I know they have a PS2 version of their ProDG product, and I'd imagine that they'll have a PS3 version too.

Sadly I never got the job :cry:

Tezcatlipoca
19-05-2005, 22:37

Hmm, fair enough on the sequel front.

As for Nintendo...Definitely innovative, but sometimes I think they're too innovative for their own good. They do great games, a lot of my all time faves are Ninty games. But now they seem to lack the ability to appeal to a wider audience, the "casual gamer" etc. Something Sony have mastered since the days of the PS1.

I agree. This fanboy attitude and loyalty to what is simply a money making box is immature. Xbox Hype, PS3 Hype. They seem both as powerful as each other, the only difference seems to be in the graphic chip in which the playstation has a slight lead.

Console fanboys are motived by a tribal attitude to be among a group and to be better than other groups. Sony and MS are relatively equal. They are both hyping and releasing sequel after squeal. You buy consoles to play games, the best console is the one with the games you want to play and no talk "well, actually thats pre-rendered not in game graphics. Sony suck!! MS rulz! They have real game footage" will decide the fate of either console. BUY CONSOLES FOR THE GAMES, NOT THE SPEC. (especially when the spec is the same)

I'm no fanboy. I've owned all three of the consoles from the current generation (four, if you count the Dreamcast). And I probably dislike MS just as much as I dislike Sony, although for different reasons.

I'll definitely get a 360, as it has exclusive games I want to play. As for the PS3 & the Rev... Maybe a Rev, for Mario et al. PS3...dunno. Was greatly let down by the PS2, after it failed to live up to the massive hype, & it didn't really have many games that grabbed me. I don't care for any of the standard PS titles (GTA, GT, MGS etc), so it depends on whether the PS3 gets some new exclusives which justify buying one.

Yes, obviously, you buy a console for the games.

And yes, the specs are, overall, fairly comparable. The PS3 certainly isn't "3 times more powerful" like some muppets in the mainstream press are reporting. Each has strengths the other doesn't, & I think that they're pretty evenly matched (& I doubt the PS3's GPU has a slight lead, just 'cos it's got an extra 50MHz of speed...they're both quite different...and the 360 GPU does sound v v good (http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=Nzcx)).

But, it's still relevant, to me, just what they have actually shown so far, & relevant that a lot of it (a lot, not all) is either pre-rendered or just tech demos (& so is in no way an indication of what games will actually look like), & definitely relevant that they've shown another hyped up spec list, with nothing to really back it up. I guess I'm just jaded after the experience of the PS2, & too used to being let down by Sony hype & BS.

At least MS showed more in-game footage. Plus, they were only using dual G5s at E3, running demos at only 30% of what the 360 itself will have to offer.

Have to wait & see. MS will launch first, which does give them an advantage. By the time the PS3 is out, 360 games should be looking better, as the devs would have had more time to get to grips with it (launch games can be rushed, & it usually takes a while for games to come out which really make use of a system's potential). But, of course, many may sit & wait for the PS3.

Price is another factor. If one undercuts the other, that's an obvious advantage.

But, well, whoever appeals most to the casual gamer will probably win. And that's likely to be Sony again.

Nintendo are the only ones who seem to have a understanding of this, they haven't tried to 'outspec' the PS3 and xbox. They have shown a small, sleek, box. It has a cd drive to put in games. Is there console about "converging the home digital experience", "Bringing people together in a way not seen before","Allowing the digital lifestyle to expand into the persons life experance?". NO. Its not. The main other feature is the ability to play GAMES. Downloading N64 games and so on. Nintendo have again played the 'we're about the games' card and lets hope it works.

Well, it didn't really work with the Cube, sadly. I'm glad that they're doing another console, as I wouldn't want them to end up like that other former giant, Sega, & end up just doing software. But I have doubts about how successful it will be.

And convergence seems to be becoming a big thing now.

Anyway.

A couple of articles comparing the PS3 to the 360 (seeing as this thread has sort of diverged that way a bit).

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1816966,00.asp

http://hardware.gamespot.com/Story-ST-x-1985-x-x-x?tag=boxcar_all_features_image

Certainly looks like gamers will be spoilt for choice when it comes to systems in the next year, which is always good

TheBlueRaja
10-07-2007, 15:48
Does anyone remember that cracking video from E3 2005 for the PS3 version of Killzone? You know the one that everyone was banging on about being real? Well the first ingame screenshot is at the link below:-

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_4553_en.html

Now this is so bad that im actually thinking this might be some kind of windup and that this evening all will be revealed as such, but dear god i hope for all PS3 owners out there that this is the case.

Why would a company produce a video like the original Killzone 2 E3 video (http://uk.media.ps3.ign.com/media/748/748475/vids_1.html) and then follow it up almost 2 years later with such a shockingly poor screenshot?

Surely a wind up, somehow... :shrug:

punky
10-07-2007, 15:55
Nope.. Sony lied... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRVAVdF8HLc)

TheBlueRaja
10-07-2007, 16:03
Nope.. Sony lied... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRVAVdF8HLc)

I would have hoped people knew that to be honest, but what i dont get is that the first screenie they produce is, well, so bad. Its a bit of a slap in the face to PS3 owners...

Also, as if to rub it in (http://ps3.joystiq.com/2007/07/10/konami-exec-says-metal-gear-solid-may-go-to-other-consoles/),

Konami executive Kazumi Kitaue, head of Konami North America and European ops, dropped a bombshell today saying that Metal Gear Solid 4 may move to other consoles in an attempt to recoup development costs. He also said the PS3 price drop may not turn the ship around. The natural assumption, given the console hardware technology, is that Metal Gear Solid 4 will see its day on the Xbox 360, destroying one of the final feathers in Sony's hat of exclusives.

E3 hasnt even really kicked off yet either.

shawty
10-07-2007, 16:37
Does anyone remember that cracking video from E3 2005 for the PS3 version of Killzone? You know the one that everyone was banging on about being real? Well the first ingame screenshot is at the link below:-

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_4553_en.html

Now this is so bad that im actually thinking this might be some kind of windup and that this evening all will be revealed as such, but dear god i hope for all PS3 owners out there that this is the case.

Why would a company produce a video like the original Killzone 2 E3 video (http://uk.media.ps3.ign.com/media/748/748475/vids_1.html) and then follow it up almost 2 years later with such a shockingly poor screenshot?

Surely a wind up, somehow... :shrug:

The pic is 100% in game. What people are saying is Its ingame of Killzone 2 looking at a poster of Killzone 1. All though it has not been confirmed.

It has been confirmed that the pic is real 100% in game.

TheBlueRaja
10-07-2007, 16:39
The pic is 100% in game. What people are saying is Its ingame of Killzone 2 looking at a poster of Killzone 1. All though it has not been confirmed.

It has been confirmed that the pic is real 100% in game.

Ahh, designed to catch out the fanboys eh.. ;)

shawty
10-07-2007, 16:41
Ahh, designed to catch out the fanboys eh.. ;)

I guess, unless it really is the biggest let down in gaming history, i just cant see that happening though. The amount of time, money, workers spent on this game, it must be a wind up.

What ever it is, its got people talking.

edinkev
10-07-2007, 16:50
were are all the games ? not much out there for us ? :td:

shawty
10-07-2007, 16:53
were are all the games ? not much out there for us ? :td:

Games in general or E3 info?

smok3dog
11-07-2007, 11:29
I have played both Ps3 & xbox360. I find that the xbox is nearly as good as the Ps3 but i would pefer to get a Ps3 than a xbox360 as i do feel like the grapics are better on Ps3 plus i have allways suported Sony in there consoles.

Stephen
11-07-2007, 11:35
I have seen rumors on the net that Sony are to cut the price of the PS3 by £50.

NEONKNIGHT
11-07-2007, 13:49
I have played both Ps3 & xbox360.

Spoken like an informed gamer.

I find that the xbox is nearly as good as the Ps3 but i would pefer to get a Ps3 than a xbox360 as i do feel like the grapics are better on Ps3

Personal choice, fair comment.

plus i have allways suported Sony in there consoles.

Doh!
:p:

fizgog
11-07-2007, 14:07
I have played both Ps3 & xbox360. I find that the xbox is nearly as good as the Ps3 but i would pefer to get a Ps3 than a xbox360 as i do feel like the grapics are better on Ps3 plus i have allways suported Sony in there consoles.

A game could have the best graphics in the universe, doesn't mean it won't be a pile of sh*t to play.

When will people realise that there is no point being loyal to one company because all the company cares about is taken your money.

Gareth
12-07-2007, 01:16
I have played both Ps3 & xbox360. I find that the xbox is nearly as good as the Ps3 but i would pefer to get a Ps3 than a xbox360 as i do feel like the grapics are better on Ps3 plus i have allways suported Sony in there consoles.Heh, funnily enought the 360's GPU is more advanced than the PS3's.

Here's a good comparison of some games on the 2 consoles... http://uk.gamespot.com/features/6162742/

shawty
12-07-2007, 01:48
Heh, funnily enought the 360's GPU is more advanced than the PS3's.

Here's a good comparison of some games on the 2 consoles... http://uk.gamespot.com/features/6162742/

How many times are we going to see this.

Its because they were made on the 360 and ported to the PS3 without much optimizing between the port. Thats why say one game has bad frame rate on the 360, its worse on the PS3.

Games that are made for the PS3 are looking great and are comparable to 360 games ( as in not the same game but the style and graphics, gameplay and no slow down etc etc. )

Just look at Killzone and MGS4 beatiful games ( all though we havent got to play them yet ) they look stunning and are 100% in game, thats what the PS3 can do. Also Haze and UT3 are timed excluisves and if they are made and optimized for the PS3, maybe we might see the same thing happeing.

deathball
12-07-2007, 01:54
Actually that isn't in game pictures of killzone 2, here is the full article with around 10 images, looks pretty sweet to me.

http://e3.gamespot.com/story.html?sid=6174096&pid=928377&autoplay=6174116&tag=topslot;action;3

shawty
12-07-2007, 02:24
Actually that isn't in game pictures of killzone 2, here is the full article with around 10 images, looks pretty sweet to me.

http://e3.gamespot.com/story.html?sid=6174096&pid=928377&autoplay=6174116&tag=topslot;action;3

http://uk.gamespot.com/video/928377/6174116/videoplayerpop?rgroup=e32007_story

That is an in game trailer, thats what the game will play like or even better as its still in alpha stage ( apprently ).

TheBlueRaja
12-07-2007, 21:52
Killzone's graphics do look good although im yet to be convinced they are better that GoW. Why they said that screenie was from the game i'll never know.

As for the PS3 / 360 GPU and what better i dont hink it matters much as there is very little between them, what matters is the games available, the 360 took a while to get going but its looking good now. The PS3 is just going via a similar glut, but sales being slow wont help them.

I do wonder why EA's sports games will run 60FPS on the 360 and 30FPS on the PS3 though? :shrug:

shawty
12-07-2007, 22:04
Killzone's graphics do look good although im yet to be convinced they are better that GoW. Why they said that screenie was from the game i'll never know.

As for the PS3 / 360 GPU and what better i dont hink it matters much as there is very little between them, what matters is the games available, the 360 took a while to get going but its looking good now. The PS3 is just going via a similar glut, but sales being slow wont help them.

I do wonder why EA's sports games will run 60FPS on the 360 and 30FPS on the PS3 though? :shrug:

That screen is from the actual game. Im guessing because it was still it looked terrible because it looks fine when you see it in the video.

In my opinion Killzone 2's graphics are much better than Gears of War, or maybe its just the way they have made the game that makes it look better.

All though its not the same as the E3 2005 trailer, no matter what you think of it, they have done pretty good so far, with 6 months + left on this game, im guessing it can only get better.

Damien
12-07-2007, 22:39
I didnt like the first killzone, as far as I remember most people found it disappointing. Maybe the 2nd will be better after learning mistakes of the past. Also MGS 4 maybe, likely, could be exclusive for the PS3 is good news for Sony although its still kind of confusing if it is 100% exclusive. My guess is that it might eventually make its way to 360.

NoKnowledge
13-07-2007, 01:58
On Monday Sony Computer Entertainment Europe is expected to make an announcement at the E3 event - one of the biggest conferences in the game industry calendar - about the new console on Thursday. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6283170.stm
and
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=26501

Does anybody know what the announcement was as Thursday has gone, or were they not talking about 12 July 2007?

---------- Post added at 01:58 ---------- Previous post was at 00:49 ----------

Finally at 1.38AM Sony is not cutting the price of the PlayStation 3 in Europe, but will offer free games and accessories instead. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6896261.stm

NEONKNIGHT
13-07-2007, 12:43
Sony refusing to cut the price of a PS3 and offer software (which you wont want) and controller is just showing contempt once again to european gamers.

Cerberus
13-07-2007, 12:53
I have a PS3 and I think it's a good console. However, this is a bad move by Sony imo. They could of taken something off the price and announced an 80gb version, but as the poster above (NEONKNIGHT) has stated they will be supplied with 2 controllers and 2 games of which these will be games of poor quality.

Frankly, I am getting tired of companies treating european customers in a poor way. This is a further slap in the face for european customers and prespective customers of Sony.

I was lucky, I got my PS3 on launch but had some extra redundancy to play around with. However, if I had been a little short on cash I would of purchased an Xbox or Wii (dependent on stock) both of which are really good consoles in their own right.

When are the likes of Ninty, M$ & Sony going to start listening to us europeans and start giving us what we want?

(Apologies for slight rant)

NoKnowledge
13-07-2007, 13:22
The first-party titles to choose from are;
Resistance:Fall Of Man;
Motorstorm;
Genji: Days of the Blade;
Formula One Championship Edition; and
Ridge Racer 7.

At the moment the PS3 is £399.99, the above games are £29.99 each and the controller is £34.99. Total current retail cost is £494.96.
SCEE (David Reeves) says the package will be sold @ £425 which means a saving of only £69.96, but in the press pack they make it out to be alot more as the PS3 RRP is £425 and the 'starter package' is valued @ £115 (controller £35, 2 x games @ £40 each)

XBOX 360 FTW!

shawty
13-07-2007, 14:41
The first-party titles to choose from are;
Resistance:Fall Of Man;
Motorstorm;
Genji: Days of the Blade;
Formula One Championship Edition; and
Ridge Racer 7.

At the moment the PS3 is £399.99, the above games are £29.99 each and the controller is £34.99. Total current retail cost is £494.96.
SCEE (David Reeves) says the package will be sold @ £425 which means a saving of only £69.96, but in the press pack they make it out to be alot more as the PS3 RRP is £425 and the 'starter package' is valued @ £115 (controller £35, 2 x games @ £40 each)

XBOX 360 FTW!

Surely its not hard for you to use your common sense and use RRP?

If you buy from Sony, its £425 + £40 + £40 + £35 = £540 a saving off £115. That is all Sony is bothered about, that not just goes for Sony but every other company going on this planet. No company would use discounted prices to compare there own products. It was a bit sill metioning this wasnt it?

NoKnowledge
13-07-2007, 14:54
Surely its not hard for you to use your common sense and use RRP? I thought I did

PS3 RRP is £425 and the 'starter package' is valued @ £115 (controller £35, 2 x games @ £40 each) Anyways seems like SCEE are doing what Microsoft did with the original XBOX To avoid frustrating early adopters, they offered any two current games and an extra controller for free to any purchaser who could provide a sales receipt showing the original higher price http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox

shawty
13-07-2007, 15:59
I thought I did

Anyways seems like SCEE are doing what Microsoft did with the original XBOX http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox

You were stating ( or implying it ) that Sony were being stupid and mis informing us by using RRP when you started using the current prices from some shops. I was simply point out that this is what any company does, not just Sony.

NoKnowledge
13-07-2007, 16:05
You were stating ( or implying it ) that Sony were being stupid and mis informing us by using RRP when you started using the current prices from some shops. I was simply point out that this is what any company does, not just Sony. OK :)

TheBlueRaja
13-07-2007, 17:53
I cant believe Sony is not reducing the European price of the PS3 as well, anyone would think that they are only doing it in the States to get rid of the stock before the 80 gig version comes out.

Because, lets face it, who's going to want the 60 Gig version then...

Gareth
14-07-2007, 01:19
I'm starting to like Peter Moore....

Eurogamer: What about the PS3 price cut? Do you think USD 100 is significant enough to boost their installed base?

Peter Moore: Interestingly, I didn't see a price cut, and I must have been reading the wrong thing. It's still 499 and 599.

Eurogamer: It's 499 for the 60GB or 599 for the 80GB.

Peter Moore: So they've added greater value at the same prices. Which to me is not a price cut. So I don't want to be anal, but I read price cut and I expected to see 399. When I hear the words "price cut" I expect to see a price cut. What they've done is they've added greater value in the form primarily of storage at the same price points. You know, I haven't made any comment - we'll have to wait and see, I did see Nintendo's George Harrison saying that it's ineffective, but the consumer will vote on that, and I think Jack did say, anecdotally, that their sales have doubled over the weekend, so we shall see.

Again, my opinion doesn't matter. They need to see if they can get their rate up from 20,000 a week. If they increase it 20 percent that's only 24,000 a week. So they need to see if they can double or triple their run-rate to get back in line with where they need to be. And I'm not sure adding more value triples their run-rate of sales, and I don't know what's going to happen in Europe because there's nothing been announced there of yet.

The whole interview (http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=79577) is actually a good read.

NoKnowledge
14-07-2007, 11:58
I'm starting to like Peter Moore....

The whole interview (http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=79577) is actually a good read. David Reeves of SCEE made a blooper in his interview GamesIndustry.biz: Why not offer the 80GB model in Europe?
The difference between 60GB and 80GB is not really necessary. The difference in cost between a 60 and 80 is just Euro cents; it's nothing, because the cost of memory is so small.
When did storage become memory?

David Reeves interview (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=26702)

Gareth
14-07-2007, 12:38
Heh, maybe he's let the cat outta the bag and they're planning on releasing a new SKU with 80GB of RAM :D

shawty
14-07-2007, 12:57
Apprantley what is happening is they are getting rid of the 60GB PS3 with the Emotion Engine and bringing out the 80GB without Emotion Engine. The 80GB is $599 as a bundle with a game and the 60GB $499 by itself. Now i dont even think Sony would be stupid enough to keep the 80GB at $599 once all the 60GB have gone, they will most likely drop the bundle and sell it for $499.

Gareth
14-07-2007, 14:05
According to the blog on the Sony site, though, they say they're going to have ample stocks of the 60GB and the 80GB models, which to me suggests they're not planning on withdrawing the 60GB model yet, and as such, the 80GB won't be coming down in price (otherwise why would anyone buy a 60GB model...?)

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2007/07/13/another-e3-winding-down-plus-a-quick-clarification/
One quick thing before I head to the show for the last day. I just wanted to clarify something. I’ve seen a lot of posts this morning related to the 60GB SKU and the comments by SCEE President David Reeves. As we announced this week, SCEA’s product offering in North America consists of a 80GB PS3 available in August and a 60GB PS3 available now for $499. We will have ample supplies of both models to meet the needs of consumers for the foreseeable future.

---------- Post added at 14:05 ---------- Previous post was at 14:02 ----------

If I was looking to get a PS3, I'd be seriously considering getting an imported model from the US for £250.

shawty
14-07-2007, 16:46
According to the blog on the Sony site, though, they say they're going to have ample stocks of the 60GB and the 80GB models, which to me suggests they're not planning on withdrawing the 60GB model yet, and as such, the 80GB won't be coming down in price (otherwise why would anyone buy a 60GB model...?)

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2007/07/13/another-e3-winding-down-plus-a-quick-clarification/

---------- Post added at 14:05 ---------- Previous post was at 14:02 ----------

If I was looking to get a PS3, I'd be seriously considering getting an imported model from the US for £250.

It looks as if threy are going to have one SKU PS3 which will be the 80GB model. Which will most likely come down to $499 after the the 60GB have gone.

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/804/804902p1.html

Tezcatlipoca
14-07-2007, 16:55
Yeah, also says it here:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=168049

Temp. price cut just to get rid of the 60GB stock.

icestar2
14-07-2007, 18:29
After having watched alot of the E3 videos I am starting to like the look of the HOME system. Being able to link it to your mobile is a great idea I think.

I only hope MGS 4 remains exclusive or even a timed exclusive would be good. The game looks great.

shawty
16-07-2007, 19:09
http://www.play.com/Games/PlayStation3/3-/2723/2-/Promo.html

Mistake or genuine, what do you reckon?

Cerberus
16-07-2007, 19:19
http://www.play.com/Games/PlayStation3/3-/2723/2-/Promo.html

Mistake or genuine, what do you reckon?

I would say thats a mistake. :confused:

icestar2
16-07-2007, 19:39
I would say thats a mistake. :confused:

Mistake because one bundle is bigger than the other and yet there same price. I think the first bundle might be right but the second I dont think so.

If they make the mistake though they normally leave it so any1 who has bought it at that price will probably gt away with it - what do you think ? I know when game price something wrong and you buy it they dont add the extra on.

shawty
16-07-2007, 20:15
Mistake because one bundle is bigger than the other and yet there same price. I think the first bundle might be right but the second I dont think so.

If they make the mistake though they normally leave it so any1 who has bought it at that price will probably gt away with it - what do you think ? I know when game price something wrong and you buy it they dont add the extra on.

The thing is you always see stuff like this.

Example, if you want Jackass the movie - £14.99

http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/117286/Jackass-The-Movie/Product.html

Now you can get the second Jackass for £12.99, newer film, less money -

http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/3305022/Jackass-The-Movie-Number-Two/Product.html

Whats even better is Jackass costs £14.99 and you can get this boxset, Jackass The Movie, Team America World Police and Beavis and Butthead Do America all for £7.99

http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/718515/Team-America-World-Police-Beavis-And-Butthead-Do-America-Jackass-The-Movie-Box-Set/Product.html

Crazy lol. So i dont know, before this it was set at £474 ( i think ) so i wonder if its genuine or not.

icestar2
16-07-2007, 20:56
Good point - Its also works out the saving right so maybe they are genuine. I would not put it past play. They normally do great deals anyway so I guess its possible.

Stephen
17-07-2007, 00:12
It is probably correct. They are just selling the Playstion console with a free copy of Click.

Then you have the other package which they originally made themselves, however with Sony now putting Resistance and Motor Storm in the box at no extra cost play are just changing their own bundle to a similar price.