PDA

View Full Version : BB hangs since upgrade to 1MB using Samsung STB

gazza007
16-05-2005, 23:20
Have been on NTL broadband since it started via PACE STB to USB on Windows XP PC Athlon 1900 processor 512 mem. Never had any problems in 3 years.
I recently moved house & requested upgrade to 1 MB, engineer supplied new Samsung Box. Everytime I go to download links I get the egg timer & things seem to hang, till i get prog is not responding message.
Could this be a USB issue with the speed?????? or the Samsung box????
Should i install a NIC. Try a USB 2 port
or get the techies in?
Any advice appreciated
Sorry if this has been posted before :dunce:

Mick
17-05-2005, 07:43
Hi Gazza, Welcome to the site. :welcome:

Your computer seems to have a fairly good spec, so it might already have a NIC?

Have a read of the following Robin Walker pages which might help you.

USB to NIC Swap info (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/usb.html#usbswap) & No Connection help (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/badip.html).

Failing that, a call to ntl tech support might be necessary. (ntl Tech STB Support Number: 0845 650 0125)

Hope this helps.

gazza007
17-05-2005, 15:11
Put in NIC today, re-reg etc. Problem is still there. Speed check OK.
Tried streaming from BBC & it hung. As soon as I unplug RJ45 it unfreezes. As you say call to NTL may be in order.
Not sure if anybody has had similar issues recently?
Cheers

quadplay
17-05-2005, 15:49
Hi gazza,

It's unlikely ntl support will help, as it sounds like this is more of a PC issue than an issue with the broadband connection (though I can't rule it out - seems strange that it started after the box swap). Can I ask what browser you're using (Internet Explorer, Firefox, etc.)?

If you're using IE, this page from the MS support site might help - although it refers to IE5, it may apply to IE6 as well: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/232484/EN-US/

gazza007
17-05-2005, 20:12
Use IE 6.

I will try a restore to when I had the Pace STB. to see if any change.

Noggin
18-05-2005, 07:53
What it is that u r trying to download?
How does it affect your browsing when this happens?

Noggin.

gazza007
18-05-2005, 10:35
Basically PC seems to hang when I go to any steam or download link. Sometimes the after a min or so the download works OK, but more often than not I pull the rj45 & PC recovers. All was OK before the samsung. Will try & speak to NTL later.

bazza7676
18-05-2005, 11:46
I had my Pace box replaced with a Samung box recently and had real problems as although I was getting an IP I couldnt connect to the net. In the end it turned out to be a problem with the AEI USB and ethernet cable I was using with the Pace box. Now they've both been replaced all is good and I've got my 2mb coneection now. So I recommend just to make sure they have everything replaced.

gazza007
19-05-2005, 14:50
Decided to install Firefox on Kids PC & links/downloads seem to be OK now.
I guess IE 6 has become corrupted in some way. Will run some spyware apps to see if anything turns up. Noticed in startup a ref to YDCZOP.EXE. Anyway can't find out what it is anywhere on Net???
Has this been the cause?