PDA

View Full Version : Can I change my PC mac address to my PS2 mac address?

DDP
16-05-2005, 19:42
Hi,
Just got a network adaptor for my PS2 and as I am new to this :(
I found out that you need to pay NTL (which I have 1MB, set top box) £5. so that i can register my MAC address. My Question is, I found some free software that will change my PC mac address or seem like it has changed. Will this get me in to some **** with NTL? or will they not know what iam doing? and most important of all will this work?

look forward to your answers.
yours thankfully
A complete novice

Chris W
16-05-2005, 21:03
Hi,
Just got a network adaptor for my PS2 and as I am new to this :(
I found out that you need to pay NTL (which I have 1MB, set top box) £5. so that i can register my MAC address. My Question is, I found some free software that will change my PC mac address or seem like it has changed. Will this get me in to some **** with NTL? or will they not know what iam doing? and most important of all will this work?

look forward to your answers.
yours thankfully
A complete novice

the ps2 service is available through a cable modem only, but is not £5 it is £2. However, it is only available on the 2 and 3meg packages- hence cheapest monthly would be £26.99.

depending on the type of network card you have you can change the mac address by going onto device manager and the advanced properties of the network card.

However, wouldn't it be easier to just clone your pc's mac address onto the ps2?

The only thing i will say in terms of whether ntl will give you a telling off is

21. Gaming Consoles

You may only connect XBox gaming consoles to the ntl network using a designated Xbox compatible broadband access product.

Users may only connect PlayStation 2 gaming consoles to the ntl network using a designated PlayStation 2 compatible broadband access product.

Interpret that however you see fit........

TheBlueRaja
16-05-2005, 21:08
I dont get it - how the hell does NTL know what you are connecting too its network. I realise that you have to register MAC addresses but what's to stop you buying a router or a cheap switch - registering that to the NTL network and then plugging your PC and PS2 into a switch port?

Unless NTL block the sony or Xbox live sites until you pay - which IMO is bloody wrong.

Any ideas?

Chris W
17-05-2005, 00:00
Unless NTL block the sony or Xbox live sites until you pay - which IMO is bloody wrong.

They don't. There is nothing to stop you connecting a PS2 or xbox to a normal broadband connection through a SACM, however with the STB the mac must be registered, which creates slight problems as it is technically impossible to register a mac with ntl through an xbox or ps2.

The £2 a month console service pays for:
- technical support
- a second ip address
- an ethernet switch
- extra cabling

JohnHorb
17-05-2005, 08:05
Don't know anything about PS/2, but, if it is technically possible, clone the PC MAC address into the PS/2, then the STB won't know the difference.. Alternatively, buy a router, then you can have the PC and PS/2 connected at the same time.

They don't. There is nothing to stop you connecting a PS2 or xbox to a normal broadband connection through a SACM, however with the STB the mac must be registered, which creates slight problems as it is technically impossible to register a mac with ntl through an xbox or ps2.

Maybe NTL are quoting £5 to register the MAC remotely for him? Just guessing.

TheBlueRaja
17-05-2005, 09:23

The £2 a month console service pays for:
- technical support
- a second ip address
- an ethernet switch
- extra cabling

What about my router or cheap switch option?

Chris W
17-05-2005, 11:17
Maybe NTL are quoting £5 to register the MAC remotely for him? Just guessing.

nope... ntl don't do that. I am guessing the OP has seen the old console package price- which was £5pm instead of £2pm.

What about my router or cheap switch option?

yup that is perfectly possible :tu:

however if the OP is not going to use PS2 and PC at the same time it maybe cheaper to just clone one of the mac addresses and hot swap :)

DDP
21-05-2005, 22:57
Thanks for all your post, I think the best step is to clone my PC Mac address onto my PS2. now my next question is, how would i go about doing this?:confused:
Oh by the way I have also read that you can change the mac address of a network card for a PC. does anyone know which models of PC network cards can have the Mac address changed?:confused:

Many thanks
DDP

jerenus
03-06-2005, 21:13
hi i have ps2 network adpta. my net work gaming is working.i use my network access disk to set up my files.my mistak is i use network acces disk and register and lost handl,username,passwork.my problame is get login to centeral station please help me.