PDA

View Full Version : USB to Ethernet Just Not Happening.

hakkiki
16-05-2005, 15:23
Hey Guys,

I'm looking for a few suggestions. I am totally stumped over this issue. I currently have my PC running through USB, no issues what so ever. I am trying to install a wireless broadband router, and to do this I need to have my PC running through the ethernet first. I got a reply from a previous thread I posted but had no joy. My broadband CD was bringing up an error (Error 23) that I had to disable the USB first. I disabled it, removed it and it was still bringing up the error. I tried shutting down PC, powering off modem, change to ethernet cable, powering modem back up after 10 mins and then powering up PC which should work fine. This isn't happening. It cannot renew ip address. I tried an ipconfig /release then an ipconfig /renew.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Cheers

homealone
16-05-2005, 15:39
how does it look in the device manager, is the network card shown as working ok with no resource conflicts? Is the USB device definitely not showing?

You shouldn't need your NTL installation CD, for an ethernet connection, by the way. :)

Nemesis
16-05-2005, 15:41
Need to remove the drivers too, from Add/remove programs.

hakkiki
16-05-2005, 16:14
Thanks for the replies.

It is not in device manager, and is not in Add/Remove programs. I have been told to shut down, connect Ethernet and power up. I have done this before on a friends PC and worked fine. But for some reason it is not happening on mine. Do you think this could be something to do with NTL's side of things? Do you reckon I should phone them and see what they think?? My only other option I can see is wiping XP and reinstalling it and using the ethernet straight away, but if I can avoid that it would be great.

Nemesis
16-05-2005, 16:17
Well try it and let us know ...

hakkiki
16-05-2005, 16:19
Try What??

Nemesis
16-05-2005, 16:23
oops, misread.

If you have removed all USB stuff, plugged in the Ethernet cable, rebooted both Machine and Modem, what happens then.

Do not use CD for Ethernet connection.

hakkiki
16-05-2005, 18:36
When I reboot, my network connection is active but it can't renew IP address so it says Connection active but is restricted. As previously stated, I have tried to to do an ipconfig /release then ipconfig/renew, but still no joy.

Cheers for the replies Nemesis.

Grafton
16-05-2005, 18:58
This could be way off the mark, but have you forced your network connection to a specific IP address?

To check, right-click your network connection and select properties. You should have an item in the list box called 'Internet Protocol TCP/IP'. Select this item and click properties. The properties page should be set to 'Obtain IP address automatically' and 'Obtain DNS server address automatically'. (I apologise if you already know this kinda stuff... just trying to keep it simple :))

Paul K
16-05-2005, 19:14
Try booting up to safe mode and check in the device manager for hidden devices. Sometimes you find ghost devices left behind when you remove the USB connection. Also have you removed all drivers that were installed with the USB connector?

When I reboot, my network connection is active but it can't renew IP address so it says Connection active but is restricted. As previously stated, I have tried to to do an ipconfig /release then ipconfig/renew, but still no joy.

Cheers for the replies Nemesis.
When you reboot are you allowing the modem to complete it's reboot cycle before rebooting the PC and have you made sure that any firewalls are off for now as they can interfere quite badly sometimes when you are trying to install a new connection.
Also you may find you need to re-provision the connection again as you are changing the hardware you are connecting through.

hakkiki
16-05-2005, 19:18
I'll give it a go. I take it all I have to do is connect USB, ipconfig /all then take the IP addresses and put them in and connect to ethernet.

Only problem is, because it is DCHP leases, surely when I turn the PC off and use it at a later date the IP address I have specified could be used by someone else.

Sorry to take up so much time on this. It has me well stumped. I am getting to the point where I have the XP disc in my hand, and I am shouting at the modem, threatening, "I'll do it, I'll wipe the hard disk, don't think I won't. Don't push me motherf****er." and I know it's sitting there going, "Go ahead punk. You don't have the b@lls".

Anyway, sorry for the vearing off on one.

Cheers

I have already tried the Show Hidden devices. A couple came up and I deleted them, had a big smile on my face cause I thought that was finally it. But again, same thing. It was at that point I had to leave the room for a while because I was ready to throw the thing out. hehehe.

Cheers for the help

Try booting up to safe mode and check in the device manager for hidden devices. Sometimes you find ghost devices left behind when you remove the USB connection. Also have you removed all drivers that were installed with the USB connector?

When you reboot are you allowing the modem to complete it's reboot cycle before rebooting the PC and have you made sure that any firewalls are off for now as they can interfere quite badly sometimes when you are trying to install a new connection.
Also you may find you need to re-provision the connection again as you are changing the hardware you are connecting through.

Paul K
16-05-2005, 19:23
I'll give it a go. I take it all I have to do is connect USB, ipconfig /all then take the IP addresses and put them in and connect to ethernet.

Only problem is, because it is DCHP leases, surely when I turn the PC off and use it at a later date the IP address I have specified could be used by someone else.

Sorry to take up so much time on this. It has me well stumped. I am getting to the point where I have the XP disc in my hand, and I am shouting at the modem, threatening, "I'll do it, I'll wipe the hard disk, don't think I won't. Don't push me motherf****er." and I know it's sitting there going, "Go ahead punk. You don't have the b@lls".

Anyway, sorry for the vearing off on one.

Cheers
Shouldn't drop your IP unless you switch off either the Stand Alone Cable Modem or the STB for a loooooong time (or they resegment/ work on your area of the network lol).
I would IPCONFIG /release
unplug USB
Power off Modem / STB
Reboot to safe mode
check device manager for hidden devices or ghosts (think hidden devices are under View in the top menu)
Shutdown
Power up modem
wait for lights to stop flashing/ stabilise
Connect modem to NIC/ ethernet port
reboot
Fire up browser and see what happens
If needed point the browser at the necesary page for reprovisioning.

hakkiki
16-05-2005, 19:29
I'll give it a go paul. I won't get a chance to try it for a couple of days, but when I do I'll let you know. Thanks for all your help. If this works I owe you a drink. hehehe.

Cheers

hakkiki
20-05-2005, 20:47
Hey people,

Just to keep those of you updated who gave me suggestions on fixing this fault. I tried everything you all suggested, even if I had tried it before. I ended up wiping the PC and putting everything back on fresh. Then I connected the broadband through ethernet and it worked first time. What a relief it was although a pain installing everything back to the way I had it. Then got the wireless setup. Everything works a dream now.

Thanks for all the help.

Raistlin
20-05-2005, 21:14
Have you made sure that you have set up all of the security options on your wireless setup?

alex_walke
20-05-2005, 23:59
Hey people,

Just to keep those of you updated who gave me suggestions on fixing this fault. I tried everything you all suggested, even if I had tried it before. I ended up wiping the PC and putting everything back on fresh. Then I connected the broadband through ethernet and it worked first time. What a relief it was although a pain installing everything back to the way I had it. Then got the wireless setup. Everything works a dream now.

Thanks for all the help.

i think you need Windows XP mate! will save you bother when you wish to restore the computer to a previous state without deleting everything! :tu:

hakkiki
26-05-2005, 12:28
Have you made sure that you have set up all of the security options on your wireless setup?

I sure have. I have WEP enabled and I have a restricted list of MAC addresses. So I think that should be enough to keep any ghouls at bay. :)

i think you need Windows XP mate! will save you bother when you wish to restore the computer to a previous state without deleting everything! :tu:

I do have XP. :erm:

AF Systems
26-05-2005, 22:32
Hi guys new to the forum, on the subject of wireless notworking or even wired can anyone recomend a router or whatever i need to network my desktop pc and laptop, current setup is terrayon modem via usb to desktop with rj45 network cable coming out the back of desktop pc to laptop, have to have main pc running in order to access net on laptop, i suppose if i already got network cable in place i dont need wireless? so if anyone could advise what i need it would be fantastic

Paul K
26-05-2005, 22:36
Try the wizard here (http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/#)
You could get a wireless router to share the connection and then wireless cards for the computers, that way you don't have to keep a certain PC on all the time as the router will be sharing the connection as well as helping to secure the network.

Or obviously you could just buy a normal router and use it to connect all PCs to the broadband connection ;)

AF Systems
26-05-2005, 22:43
i think id go for the normal router as already got cable running to my laptop, is this easy to set up with my current usb connection to desktop so i do not need desktop pc on to access net on laptop

Thanks

budwieser
26-05-2005, 22:44
Hey Guys,

I'm looking for a few suggestions. I am totally stumped over this issue. I currently have my PC running through USB, no issues what so ever. I am trying to install a wireless broadband router, and to do this I need to have my PC running through the ethernet first. I got a reply from a previous thread I posted but had no joy. My broadband CD was bringing up an error (Error 23) that I had to disable the USB first. I disabled it, removed it and it was still bringing up the error. I tried shutting down PC, powering off modem, change to ethernet cable, powering modem back up after 10 mins and then powering up PC which should work fine. This isn't happening. It cannot renew ip address. I tried an ipconfig /release then an ipconfig /renew.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Cheers

I take it you have the Ethernet drivers for your Motherboard installed don`t you?

Paul K
26-05-2005, 23:06
i think id go for the normal router as already got cable running to my laptop, is this easy to set up with my current usb connection to desktop so i do not need desktop pc on to access net on laptop

Thanks
Most routers run out of the box, think you may need to change cable type for connecting the PCs to the router (think they require straight Cat5 cable not cross over if that is what you have now linking the computers).
Might be easier if you start your own thread in the computers & IT section though as this thread will get confusing very quickly otherwise ;)