PDA

View Full Version : Where to avoid in Belfast

Russ
21-09-2003, 19:48
I'm off to Dublin for a week on saturday and I'm planning to visit Belfast one day. Now I'm sure the images of soldiers with guns and secretarian killings etc is all exaggerated for tv but of course I'd still like to avoid all that, so are there any parts of Belfast you guys in that area can recommend I keep away from?

kronas
21-09-2003, 19:49
i recommend not going at all its unsafe in belfast..

Russ
21-09-2003, 19:50
...and Heckmondwike is how far from Belfast??

gazzae
21-09-2003, 19:57
When was the last time you were in Belfast Kronas?

Russ D, what are you planning to come up for? To see the sights, go drinking etc?

Dave Stones
21-09-2003, 19:59
Originally posted by Russ D
...and Heckmondwike is how far from Belfast??

if you really want to be safe go to belfast. with that amount of police everywhere you are a lot less likely to be harmed. saying that i have never been, BUT i have been round heckmondwike on a friday night. rough is not the word...:eek:

Russ
21-09-2003, 20:02
Originally posted by gazzae
When was the last time you were in Belfast Kronas?

Russ D, what are you planning to come up for? To see the sights, go drinking etc?

For the sights mainly. I'll probably be there for just a day so I'll be keeping away from the liquid :)

gazzae
21-09-2003, 20:12
Here's a good website - http://www.tourism.belfastcity.gov.uk/whattodo/tours.html

You can get the bus tours around the Shankill and the Falls and that area.

The city centre area of Belfast is fine, if you get the enterprise then it lets you off pretty near the centre.

You won't see any soliders with guns patrolling the streets, you might see the odd cop with a sub-machine gun though.

If you do fancy a pint, when you get off the train head towards the Europa (once the most bombed hotel in Europe), you'll see the sign on its roof from the station, and try the Crown which is opposite it,

Russ
21-09-2003, 20:13
Cheers Gaz! Would the fact I'm Welsh get anyone's back up? I guess an English accent might cause trouble in some parts, but are us boyos considered to be ok?

gazzae
21-09-2003, 20:18
I couldn't see why anyone would have problems with a Welsh accent.

darkangel
21-09-2003, 20:42
I'm off to Dublin for a week on saturday and I'm planning to visit Belfast one day. Now I'm sure the images of soldiers with guns and secretarian killings etc is all exaggerated for tv but of course I'd still like to avoid all that, so are there any parts of Belfast you guys in that area can recommend I keep away from? firstly don't believe 99% of crap u hear about Belfast don't wear ranger or Celtic shirts and u can go anywhere don't worry about walking around use common sense as with any foreign city, the fact that ur asking these question shows(no offence) ignorance of the real situation in Ireland

Russ
22-09-2003, 00:13
......which is why I said -

Now I'm sure the images of soldiers with guns and secretarian killings etc is all exaggerated for tv

Defiant
22-09-2003, 00:42
Originally posted by gazzae
I couldn't see why anyone would have problems with a Welsh accent.

Just dont tell him theirs no sheep LOL

darkangel
22-09-2003, 01:16
......which is why I said - not exactly while there is a plenty of propaganda flying around from all sides, the massive security services presence and the sectarian problem is still alive and kicking, Belfast isn't exactly the best place for site seeing did somebody recommend u go there, anyway it's fair bit less noisy than when i was last there people are friendly enough don't forget to look out for the watchtowers they'll be the big green things with razor wire topped off with a couple of snipers;)

Tricky
22-09-2003, 23:02
Belfast is fine - done loads of visits...
Recommened venues:
The Fly (club/pub) usually full of students hence its near the uni.
Villa Italia - quality but not expensive itailian resturant (always busy and up cannot book) if its full the mexican 2 or 3 doors down cannot remember name
Red Panda - Chinese
Robinsons (across from Europa hotel - most bombed in europe I think!!! - stayed there many a time)
Crown next door to robinsons (oldest pub in belfast and was last decorated when it opened)

Bifta
22-09-2003, 23:06
Originally posted by kronas

Stop talking out of your arse

And Russ, fyi, you're more likely to get mugged, beaten up, run over (whatever) in Dublin than you are in Belfast. I personally guarantee you'll be treated better than most other places in the UK (in Belfast that is)

Tricky
22-09-2003, 23:07
Just a word of warning - DO NOT WEAR A FOOTBALL/RUGBY TOP of any description - most pubs/resturants and some attractions won't let you in.

Try the zoo...for somewhere to go, depends what you're after

hoggyspuds
22-09-2003, 23:20
ditto!! Well said Bifta!

Russ
23-09-2003, 09:19
OK cheers everyone - I did really think I was going to be confronted by some angry gang or anything but when you go to a major city for the first time I think it's always a good idea to get some opinions of where best to avoid :)

orangebird
23-09-2003, 10:18
OK cheers everyone - I did really think I was going to be confronted by some angry gang or anything but when you go to a major city for the first time I think it's always a good idea to get some opinions of where best to avoid :)

You'll have a fantastic time Russ. People are so friendly there - there are coppers with guns and stuff - but the coppers I met rang through to their police station to get me a taxi when I couldn't find one. Unbelievably friendly, fun city. Great shopping too :D

timewarrior2001
23-09-2003, 10:42
I've got relatives that are originally from Belfast. They worry whenever going back, but then again they lived through the worst of the troubles and I guess things like that are not easy to forget.
My uncle says as long as you have your sensible head on your as safe as you would be anywhere. If you misbehave and start spouting the wrong words, your gonna be in serious trouble.

Affiliation to anything is not good, especially football shirts and rugby shirts.
I have been warned its also best to not mention your nationality but I guess thats because I'm british.

I've not been, but you may guess from my post that I would like to go. Not just Belfast but the whole of Ireland, North and South, my ancestors were from the Cork area.

Russ
23-09-2003, 11:10
Originally posted by orangebird
You'll have a fantastic time Russ. People are so friendly there - there are coppers with guns and stuff - but the coppers I met rang through to their police station to get me a taxi when I couldn't find one. Unbelievably friendly, fun city. Great shopping too :D

But then again I'm not some 6 foot bird with legs that go on....and on...and on... ;) :D

orangebird
23-09-2003, 12:36
Originally posted by timewarrior2001
I've got relatives that are originally from Belfast. They worry whenever going back, but then again they lived through the worst of the troubles and I guess things like that are not easy to forget.
My uncle says as long as you have your sensible head on your as safe as you would be anywhere. If you misbehave and start spouting the wrong words, your gonna be in serious trouble.

Affiliation to anything is not good, especially football shirts and rugby shirts.
I have been warned its also best to not mention your nationality but I guess thats because I'm british.

I've not been, but you may guess from my post that I would like to go. Not just Belfast but the whole of Ireland, North and South, my ancestors were from the Cork area.
Go for it - my mother's from the south (dublin), her mother's from Waterford, and we have family in Kerry, Cork & Galway. The whole country is beautiful. :)

Nemesis
23-09-2003, 13:14
Originally posted by orangebird
Go for it - my mother's from the south (dublin), her mother's from Waterford, and we have family in Kerry, Cork & Galway. The whole country is beautiful. :)

Q. Why did you move over here, you must be nuts

:D

gazzae
23-09-2003, 13:40
Originally posted by Tricky

Crown next door to robinsons (oldest pub in belfast and was last decorated when it opened)

There are about three pubs in belfast that claim to be the oldest! The Crown, White's Tavern and McHughs.

The Crown is owned by the national trust i believe and they are closing it down next year to restore it back to its former glory.

Reddevil63
23-09-2003, 17:40
Originally posted by kronas

Complete and Utter Rubbish!!!!!! Was there a month ago and felt completely safe even walking the infamous Shankill Road and Falls Road.

There are no troops on the streets anymore and all police vans are painted white now, not that dull grey colour.

orangebird
24-09-2003, 10:42
Originally posted by Nemesis
Q. Why did you move over here, you must be nuts

:D

I was born here.... :wavey: