PDA

View Full Version : Planning permision for a garage?

Croker
15-05-2005, 17:53
Out the back here there is the remnants of a garage. i.e. the garage door is still there but the actual garage has been knocked down by the previous owners.
Am I at liberty to just get some breeze blocks and rebuild the bugger or will I need to get the permission of the local authorities?

Roy MM
15-05-2005, 18:03
I'd check with the local council first he may have hads to demolish it if he didn't have planning permission, you ca build a wooden one without permission tho

Croker
15-05-2005, 18:05
I'd check with the local council first he may have hads to demolish it if he didn't have planning permission, you ca build a wooden one without permission tho

ah - did not know the wood getout clause

My brother's kids built a treehouse in their garden - not big or obtrusive by any standards and some 'officials' came round saying they had not had planning permission etc - maybe I should check like you say

Roy MM
15-05-2005, 18:22
Found a bit of info here on planning permission:-

http://www.timberlogcabins.co.uk/faq.htm

MovedGoalPosts
15-05-2005, 18:24
http://www.odpm.gov.uk/stellent/groups/odpm_planning/documents/page/odpm_plan_606151-04.hcsp#P150_19845

The official word on things.

Escapee
15-05-2005, 18:46
You "generally" dont need planning permission for a concrete sectional garage, the rules vary from authority to authority. Sometimes it must be less than a certain hight, less than a certain floor area and less than a certain percentage of your garden.

It may be worth asking about sectional conctrete garages, or even ask one of the manufacturers. (Mine came from Leofric)

Chimaera
15-05-2005, 18:52
Go on your local Council's webite, they may have a general Q & A type area where you can get an idea of what they will or will not permit. Or you could email them - don't hold your breath if they are anything like my local council though!

Ramrod
15-05-2005, 19:38
Ring up the planning dept. at your council and speak to the duty officer. He/she will be able to find out (usually immediately) the situation regarding any planning applications/orders pertaining to your property and also tell you what the rules are in your area.
Listen very carefully to what they say as they cannot lie but can (and do) sometimes obscure the truth ('kin slimebags).

zoombini
16-05-2005, 08:39
I was told, by someone who went through this:

The difference between a breeze block garage & a concrete sectional one is that the sectional one is termed as "temporary" which is why you are generally allowed it, esp if you do not need to build any foundations.

etccarmageddon
16-05-2005, 08:53
also check your deeds - there may be conditions within your deeds that bar certain things - e.g. no garage above 7 foot in height and no garage that is in front of your house etc. I know you dont need planning permission for sheds as they are classed as 'temporary structures'. if in the unlikely event your deeds makes it impossible to rebuild the garage, there maybe a way out, ie. you could class it as an outside store but I'm no expert. your previous tenants may have knocked down the previous one as it shouldnt have been there.

Croker
16-05-2005, 10:02
also check your deeds - there may be conditions within your deeds that bar certain things - e.g. no garage above 7 foot in height and no garage that is in front of your house etc. I know you dont need planning permission for sheds as they are classed as 'temporary structures'. if in the unlikely event your deeds makes it impossible to rebuild the garage, there maybe a way out, ie. you could class it as an outside store but I'm no expert. your previous tenants may have knocked down the previous one as it shouldnt have been there.

hmm yeah - could be

however - there are other garages to each side of it :) In a way I am reluctant to get the beurocrats involved as they might "levy a small tarriff" or some other excuse for nicking more of my loot

etccarmageddon
16-05-2005, 10:12
if you pay something like £4 you can get an online copy of your land registry entry instantly - I'd suggest you do this as it's peanuts and you get to see anoraky info! not sure if it will reveal your garage rights though but mine did reveal an error which I was glad to know about!

zoombini
16-05-2005, 13:26
Of course, if you already had one there, your only doing maintenance/repairs to it :D

Make sure you fit a pit too, most useful. :D

Croker
16-05-2005, 13:38
Of course, if you already had one there, your only doing maintenance/repairs to it :D
:D

good call :tu:

zoombini
16-05-2005, 15:46
And if the neighbours all have garages, you are hardly going to upset them are you.
Ask a couple of them about if they had any problems with a garage.

Croker
16-05-2005, 16:12
And if the neighbours all have garages, you are hardly going to upset them are you.
Ask a couple of them about if they had any problems with a garage.

yeah - will do. Thanks for the ideas and advice :)