PDA

View Full Version : Hair Straightener advice

Hom3r
14-05-2005, 17:45
I need advice about Hair Straighteners, I want to buy one for my sisters but I am not sure of which one to get her, she doesn't want ones that curl etc, just straighen the hair.

I saw one that is called wet2dry it steam straighens the hair.

I'm stumped I want to spend between £30 - £60

any advice on what to aviod or what to get?

Chimaera
14-05-2005, 17:56
Ooooh I'd avoid the Wet to Dry ones - not that I'm a hairdresser! But I've used straighteners for a couple of years now - and I reckon the Wet to Dry ones would damage the hair eventually. I've got these (http://www.babyliss.co.uk/jkcm/default.aspx?pg=251) , they cost about £20 - 25 in Boots and are easy to use. Make sure you get straightners with narrow blades and ceramic plates (or glass but they tend to be more expensive). She will need to use some sort of protective spray (the Tresemme one is good, from Boots, Tesco etc) or her hair will get damaged very quickly. My daughter was bought a pair of these (http://www.ghds.co.uk/) for her 21st birthday, the ones costing over £100 :shocked: but I don't honestly think they are worth the money!
Don't go for 'steam' ones either - they don't give any better results and are quite bulky to use.

Hom3r
14-05-2005, 18:17
thanks that will give an easier time

Chris W
14-05-2005, 18:31
Avoid GHD like the plague... my girly (hair dresser) says they are awful and really expensive for what they are. If you have a "Sally's" [hair dressing supply store] near you it is well worth checking out because they sell quite cheap (not trade price unless you are a member) but still good value, and if you need some advice i have always found the staff to be v v helpful :tu:

bmxbandit
14-05-2005, 19:00
I've got these (http://www.babyliss.co.uk/jkcm/default.aspx?pg=251) , they cost about £20 - 25 in Boots and are easy to use.
those are indeed good, they do a grand job of keeping my hair pointing straght up! :D

(though they belong to t'missus...)

Ramrod
14-05-2005, 19:36
Mandy uses the ceramic straighteners with good results :tu:

xcdtowg
14-05-2005, 20:06
I have a pair of GHD's and I wore them out a few months ago and went straight out and bought another pair.
No other straighteners can actually even make my hair straight, its a big scary huge curly mess when i dry it, but they soon tame it down!
Ive tried a few cheap ones, with big thick plates, but they were annoying because its hard to get to the roots of your hair, plus they took an hour to heat up and the ghd's take a whole 15 seconds. :) Which is another reason why i have them, i dont have time in the morning for messing around waiting.
But there good for really curly hair thats thick i would say but if you have slightly wavy hair that isnt to thick you could easily get any kind i think. They all do pretty much the same job.
I tried some stream ones you put water in once but they made my hair greasy and burnt me alot. :S So maybe avoid those :)

But its all down to what suits your own hair really. :) These work for me, but others have there own preferences. Plus the price is a bit of a put off, but all my sisters use them because we share the same stupid hair gene :S

zoombini
16-05-2005, 08:55
My wife has the GHD ones, swears by them.

But they are damn hot though.

As for Sallies, if you go just pretend that you are a student at the local heairdressing colledge ;)

orangebird
16-05-2005, 09:06
I need advice about Hair Straighteners, I want to buy one for my sisters but I am not sure of which one to get her, she doesn't want ones that curl etc, just straighen the hair.

I saw one that is called wet2dry it steam straighens the hair.

I'm stumped I want to spend between £30 - £60

any advice on what to aviod or what to get?

No, No, No - do NOT use Sallys. My friend bought a pair of good straighteners from there for £90. Exactly the same pair at saloneasy cost £30!!!! ! Use saloneasy.com - These (https://saloneasy.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=16&products_id=80025) are the best I have ever used..my hair is very long and naturally very curly, but these sail through it all, no problem. They do have damp to dry capability (not wet!!! that is BAD for your hair). They also have variable control, and I think are the hottest on the market at the moment (230 c), and are SOLID ceramic plates as opposed to coated (which don't last as long). I guarantee she will not be disappointed. The service is great and you usually get them within 2 or 3 days of ordering. :tu:

fromny2ca
27-05-2005, 11:01
you should buy yourself one of these cordless hair straighteners and one for your sister www.nuhairs.com (http://www.nuhairs.com)

Hom3r
27-05-2005, 12:17
2 things stop me from buy myself hair strightners

1. I'm Male

2. I've not got much hair left

zoombini
27-05-2005, 12:38
Whatever you go for, research them.
If they are in a shop near you, look on the web to see if you can get the same ones at a much lower price.