PDA

View Full Version : Static IP Address

terrym
14-05-2005, 00:46
I have an NTL Settop box and I was wondering if anyone knows if the IP Address as found with ipconfig is a static IP address?

daxx
14-05-2005, 01:26
:welcome: to the forum.

Unfortunately the IP address shown by your STB is not static and can and may change after an upgrade or reseg by NTL or if the DHCP lease is not renewed (or even just because the wind changed direction)

Use one of the dynamic services (no-ip, dns2go etc) to give you a static name which will always point to your current outward facing IP.

If all is in order re DHCP the address may appear static but as with most ISP's today all IP addresses are dynamic

Toto
14-05-2005, 08:55
Worth noting that the public IP addresses against ntl set top boxes last an awfully long time, in most cases a lot longer than ntl IP addresses assigned to stand alone cable modems :)

terrym
14-05-2005, 09:24
Interesting! My main reason is that I have just been upgraded with a new STB to 3Mb/s and at first everything was unstable. Timing out mainly? And I managed to isolate the problem to my relatively new D-Link DI-624+ Router. Basically, I just want to set the router up from scratch again and it seemed that having a static IP address would be the best way to go. But I don't think I would go as far as getting one of those addresses mentioned here.
However, if anyone would like to show me exactly how to setup the Router properly, and tell me whether or not I should also use the SP2 XP Firewall, I would be most grateful.
Terry

Toto
15-05-2005, 00:53
Basically, I just want to set the router up from scratch again and it seemed that having a static IP address would be the best way to go. But I don't think I would go as far as getting one of those addresses mentioned here.

You don't need one, the router can easily handle dynamically assigned IP addresses, and configure your network accordingly.

However, if anyone would like to show me exactly how to setup the Router properly, and tell me whether or not I should also use the SP2 XP Firewall, I would be most grateful.
Terry

Installing a software firewall on each PC is usually a good idea, nothing wrong with the windows SP2 firewall if you don't want to use any other software firewall.

jonifen
15-05-2005, 02:19
Worth noting that the public IP addresses against ntl set top boxes last an awfully long time, in most cases a lot longer than ntl IP addresses assigned to stand alone cable modems :)
Aint that the truth! We had had the same IP for over 18mths before I bought the new router about a year ago - new MAC meant I went through the computer provisioning system again and got a new IP. Had the same one since as far as I can tell (apart from when I got a replacement for my "new" router when it crashed a few months back... 3 weeks inside the warranty believe it or not! Damn lucky that...)

Tezcatlipoca
15-05-2005, 16:13
Installing a software firewall on each PC is usually a good idea, nothing wrong with the windows SP2 firewall if you don't want to use any other software firewall.

I don't think the XP SP2 firewall lets you control outbound access though (unlike ZoneAlarm, Tiny, Sygate, etc), I'm sure it only blocks incoming - in which case, there's no need for it seeing as the router would give protection for anything incoming.