PDA

View Full Version : channel 6 on the horizon ?

kronas
21-09-2003, 02:58
BSKYB has said its considering launching a 6th tv station rivaling ITV1 and FIVE

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/3123014.stm

Jerrek
21-09-2003, 03:35
Wow, 6 TV channels?

kronas
21-09-2003, 03:39
Originally posted by Jerrek
Wow, 6 TV channels?

we have 5 terrestrial tv stations in the uk the major satellite channel provider wants to add a sixth......

Xaccers
21-09-2003, 03:40
Yes, and we have to pay over £100 a year for the privilage of owning a TV!

kronas
21-09-2003, 03:41
Originally posted by Xaccers
Yes, and we have to pay over £100 a year for the privilage of owning a TV!

thats for another thread and yes i hate the fact the BBC gets every penny :mad:

and ofcourse paying that 'licence' :D

Jerrek
21-09-2003, 06:23
We have several hundred, if not thousand, terrestrial TV stations in North America. Of course, we are bigger than you. :p

Xaccers
21-09-2003, 06:45
We have several hundred, if not thousand, terrestrial TV stations in North America. Of course, we are bigger than you. :p

Jerrek can you just clarify something about yourself?
Are you American? Last I checked Ontario is in Canada...
It's just a few things you've said have made me wonder :)

Anyway, back on topic, how many terrestrial stations are in your area?

MikeyB
21-09-2003, 12:26
I can get 6 terrestrial channels already.

Live in Swindon and can pick up 6TV from Oxford, it's a local channel for local people!!!!!

trentsteel
21-09-2003, 14:00
Same with Manchester, Channel M :P

Russ
21-09-2003, 14:04

Anyone remember that Bruce Springsteen song a few years back called "55 channels and nothing on"?

Jerrek can you just clarify something about yourself?
Are you American? Last I checked Ontario is in Canada...
It's just a few things you've said have made me wonder

I think we established last time that he's only American when it benefits his cause ;) :D

Dave Stones
21-09-2003, 14:26
ah but jerrek how many of these several thousand channels can you pick up with a crappy piece of tin floating around on your roof? ;)

we get 5... 6 just involves hassle... i will have to dig out the manual and learn how to tune my tv again..

god forbid we had thousands to do.. my tv can only cope with 90 channels max :p

Defiant
21-09-2003, 14:49
Originally posted by Russ D
Anyone remember that Bruce Springsteen song a few years back called "55 channels and nothing on"?

Most of our programs are from the states. Some of my favourite programs too :)

Jerrek
21-09-2003, 17:07
We don't really have antenna. At least, I don't know anyone that uses antennas. But I think we can get channels 2 to 18 or so on antenna. Most people have cable, even if it is the very basic cable. Then you get 40 or so channels, and a lot of them are local channels from your town/county.

I have dual citizenship, which is why I refer to North America so many times.

Jon T
21-09-2003, 17:57
I seriously doubt that we will ever get a 6th terrestrial channel nationwide, not while terretrial TV is analogue anyway, there just isn't enough spare RF bandwidth to introduce another channel.

When CH5 launched it had to use what till then had been called "off air" channels(usually uhf ch37, used to be used for VCR's, Sat RX's etc) because of a a lack of uhf bandwith available, to make matters worse as well as the frequencies used in your area, channels one up, one below, and those that are in use in surrounding areas cannot be used.

Jon