PDA

View Full Version : Shorthand

Raistlin
12-05-2005, 22:58
Hi Guys,

As part of my exciting new job I'm being asked to take the minutes for our executive meetings.

I've got absolutely no idea about how to take minutes, write shorthand, and I definately haven't got the legs for a short skirt ;)

Can anybody recommend any good websites/books that would help me cope with the pressures of being secretary for the day?

Ideally I think I need to learn some sort of shorthand-type note taking skills or something so anything along those lines would be cool. Also any sites that give tips/pointers on generating minutes, laying them out, what to include etc would be a bonus.

Cheers#

Chris
12-05-2005, 23:05
I don't have any formal secretarial skills apart from shorthand, which I learned as part of my journalist training. I learned the Teeline system, because it's quicker to learn (I got 100wpm in four months, but that was with three hours of training every morning, plus homework practice every evening), but you can't write in it as quickly. The standard secretarial system is Pitman shorthand, but it can take a couple of years to master. Once you do, it's twice as fast as Teeline though.

In short, I'd say you can forget about learning any formal shorthand if it's just for a day, and especially if that day is any time in the next few months!

As for minutes ... I don't know, I've taken them often enough but I don't think I've seen a common way of presenting them within my company. I suppose the key thing is that you need to get down the gist of discussion of each item, who made any of the most important points, what was agreed, if anything, and what actions are to be taken in relation to it before the next meeting. You don't need to write a verbatim transcript of what everyone says.

HTH!

Raistlin
12-05-2005, 23:07
T did indeed H, cheers Chris.

I suppose I could always ask the bloke that sits next to me if I can borrow his dictaphone.....

<waits for the obvious punchline>

paulyoung666
12-05-2005, 23:07
ok so this might sound daft but could you not record the minutes instead of writing them down , just a thought :shrug: :D :D :D

beaten to it by the op :( :D :D :D

Millay
12-05-2005, 23:09
People might find it off putting if your gabbling away into a dictaphone all the time :)

Just do what i do.. crawl aimlessly on a notepad and then, spend several hours afterwards deciphering it...

paulyoung666
12-05-2005, 23:15
People might find it off putting if your gabbling away into a dictaphone all the time :)

Just do what i do.. crawl aimlessly on a notepad and then, spend several hours afterwards deciphering it...

i wasnt thinking of talking to it , i was thinking of letting everyone talk to it , mind you then i suppose you would have he fun of trying to work out who said what :disturbd: :D :D :D