PDA

View Full Version : Predicted Heatwave

yesman
12-05-2005, 21:58
I will believe it when it happens, there is nothing more unpredictable than the UK weather, but this year the government has taken a fairly unusual step in giving advice on what to do in the event of a heatwave, such as we had in 2003.

Apparantly 2,000 people died in this country during that summer, and statistics were even worse in Europe, particularly France where 20,000 people also died.

The Department of Health website (http://www.dh.gov.uk/NewsHome/NewsArticle/fs/en?CONTENT_ID=4085146&chk=hJILJh) calls it the "Heatwave Plan" which has some useful information on what to do in the event of this forcasted heatwave this year, also at the foot of that page are some information leaflets in PDF format which I think are quite useful, don't know about you, but I hate it when it is too hot.

Millay
12-05-2005, 22:05
Well I wouldnt worry about it to much, if they predict a heat wave you can gurentee snow!

Tuftus
12-05-2005, 22:09
Time to get my aircon in the car regassed me thinks....

Worst comes to worst I can sit in it all summer!!!

:D

Halcyon
13-05-2005, 00:43
I heard about this too. I think its worth giving out these warnings after the amount of Deaths that followed in Paris during the last European heatwave.

Alot of old people get dehydrated and it is important to inform them.

Should be a nice summer then if we have some good weather.
As long as its not tooooo hot.

TigaSefi
13-05-2005, 01:13
Yeah right!! didn't they say that last year and we had like 2 weeks of mildly warm weather?

Richard M
13-05-2005, 01:51
Two words: global warming...

We had fairly mild weather in 2004 but 2003 was ridiculously hot, I'm sure you can all remember that.

Paul
13-05-2005, 03:08
I'm hoping for a very warm start to June, and then August ... :Sun:

Two words: global warming...Three cheers for GW - about time we had some decent warm weather in the UK ;)

daxx
13-05-2005, 03:50
hmmmm garden awning, recliners, 12v fridge/coolbox, shady spot for the telly 'n lappy, factor ?? sunscreen, polaroids and maybe drag a fan outside for when it gets a bit too warm or maybe an aircon unit :) and I nearly forgot the time off work to enjoy it all (if it happens), though having said that the past couple of days haven't been too bad around this neck o' the woods

allieyoung666
13-05-2005, 07:52
I cannot wait, I can sit outside during me breaks eating a solero and getting a nice tan at the same time!

fireman328
13-05-2005, 08:26
I read the article on the BBC news and although there is a predicted heatwave it does not mean it will be sunny, just hot and humid. The advice was aimed at the elderly and very young as these are the groups who will suffer most from dehydration and heat exhaustion, something I am quite familiar with in my previous career.
With high heat and humidity perspiration cannot evaporate to cool the body and the bodies core temperature rises which affects blood flow to the brain and eventually leads to unconciousness, which if not checked can be fatal.

yesman
13-05-2005, 16:53
Two words: global warming...

We had fairly mild weather in 2004 but 2003 was ridiculously hot, I'm sure you can all remember that.

Yes I can.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=1750