PDA

View Full Version : Yo Yo Broadband

Anonone
12-05-2005, 21:00
Hi One and All,

Is any one like me sick to death of NTL broadband speeds going up and down like a Yo yo,:Yikes:

While NTL are upgrading there networks which at present is "every week" our broadband speeds are often degraded,:td:

We may get 1-2 days where we at maximum speed but the new set of upgrades soon deteriorate, as the next set of so call upgrades and resegmentation to the network are implemented,:td:

The deteriation in speed can sometimes be substantial, I now know myself that if I look at the NTL status page and there is planned maintenace then I can expect my service to be substantially degraded,:mad:

What I would like to ask the NTL administation, is when will the network upgrades be completly implemented as I see the same areas being so called "Upgraded" every other week,

I would also like to know as to why we pay premium rates for a constantly degredated service, and why we shoudn't switch to a more competative broadband ISP provider,

Anonone

capstoneobelix
12-05-2005, 21:23
Hi Yo Yo can you tell me how I configure my boradband connection to show me my connection speed. I think I should be getting 2mb but all the speed testers I run only say I am getting 752.

Anonone
12-05-2005, 21:56
Hi capstoneobelix,

The speed test that I can recommend is
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/speedtest.html

Regards
Anonone

capstoneobelix
12-05-2005, 22:02
thanks yo yi I have tried that one but I am only getting 782 at best and I beleive that I should have been upgraded automatically to the 2mb package now and so sould have expected higher speeds. Am I interpreting the result wrong?

Anonone
12-05-2005, 22:11
Hi capstoneobelix,

If you are not receiving your upgrade and this is confirmed at http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin..../speedtest.html (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin..../speedtest.html)

then you should contact NTL as soon as possible to ask why,

Regards
Anonone

nfs6600
12-05-2005, 22:30
thanks yo yi I have tried that one but I am only getting 782 at best and I beleive that I should have been upgraded automatically to the 2mb package now and so sould have expected higher speeds. Am I interpreting the result wrong?

Not all areas have received the upgrade automatically. A quick call to customer services and they will be able to upgrade you, provided the area has the capabilities to do so

Ignition
12-05-2005, 22:40
Hi One and All,

Is any one like me sick to death of NTL broadband speeds going up and down like a Yo yo,:Yikes:

While NTL are upgrading there networks which at present is "every week" our broadband speeds are often degraded,:td:

We may get 1-2 days where we at maximum speed but the new set of upgrades soon deteriorate, as the next set of so call upgrades and resegmentation to the network are implemented,:td:

The deteriation in speed can sometimes be substantial, I now know myself that if I look at the NTL status page and there is planned maintenace then I can expect my service to be substantially degraded,:mad:

What I would like to ask the NTL administation, is when will the network upgrades be completly implemented as I see the same areas being so called "Upgraded" every other week,

I would also like to know as to why we pay premium rates for a constantly degredated service, and why we shoudn't switch to a more competative broadband ISP provider,

Anonone

You have a fault, nothing to do with upgrades these don't cause slow speeds or outages beyond the outage windows which are 1am-6am Tuesday and Thursday morning.

The upgrades will never be completely implemented, they are a necessary part of dealing with both current growth in demand for internet services and for future growth in bandwidth demands.

Have you actually done anything to help yourself here beyond blame network upgrades which are irrelevant?

Which area of the UK are you in? Some areas with high bandwidth demands may see sub-optimal performance at peak times. You don't say when you see the slower speeds, you don't say how much slower than maximum they are (by the way the speeds aren't guaranteed they are maximums even though most get them all the time), you're barking up the wrong tree blaming network upgrades and haven't provided enough information to make troubleshooting an option.

Just to make you feel even better the upgrades are continuing at their current pace for the foreseeable future :angel:

Crikey, get complained at for not upgrading enough, get complained at for upgrading :D

Anonone
12-05-2005, 23:17
You have a fault, nothing to do with upgrades these don't cause slow speeds or outages beyond the outage windows which are 1am-6am Tuesday and Thursday morning.

The upgrades will never be completely implemented, they are a necessary part of dealing with both current growth in demand for internet services and for future growth in bandwidth demands.

Have you actually done anything to help yourself here beyond blame network upgrades which are irrelevant?

Which area of the UK are you in? Some areas with high bandwidth demands may see sub-optimal performance at peak times. You don't say when you see the slower speeds, you don't say how much slower than maximum they are (by the way the speeds aren't guaranteed they are maximums even though most get them all the time), you're barking up the wrong tree blaming network upgrades and haven't provided enough information to make troubleshooting an option.

Just to make you feel even better the upgrades are continuing at their current pace for the foreseeable future :angel:

Crikey, get complained at for not upgrading enough, get complained at for upgrading :D

Typical NTL Knee jerk reaction blame the customer for NTL's poor performance

Bill C
12-05-2005, 23:19
:angel:

Dammed if you do and dammed if you dont springs to mind here :)

Paul
13-05-2005, 03:04
Typical NTL Knee jerk reaction blame the customer for NTL's poor performanceFirst of all please try and quote posts properly, I have fixed one of your previous efforts and deleted the other.

Secondly, Ignition did not give a "knee jerk reaction" - He gave a considered and useful reply. Perhaps you should read it again and digest it properly, I think he may just have a bit more knowledge of the subject matter than you. :)

If you choose to act a bit like a child and not actually take any notice of help and advice when it is given then why exactly are you here ?

Chrysalis
13-05-2005, 04:02
Ignition has a sensible head on him and has helped countless people on this forum, he is one of a few who will be honest when the fault is at NTL. The questions he asked you was very sensible and if you dont answer them then he cannot possibly investigate for you.

In my own experience if NTL are doing maintenance affecting my conenction, I will have downtime but I wont get degraded service during the maintenance, this could be the case for you but I think its something else.

Ignition
13-05-2005, 09:07
Typical NTL Knee jerk reaction blame the customer for NTL's poor performance

Find where I blamed you and I'll agree.

Otherwise answer the questions posed and we'll see what we can do to track down where the fault lies.

If you don't want my assistance that's fine.

Anonone
13-05-2005, 10:20
Find where I blamed you and I'll agree.

Otherwise answer the questions posed and we'll see what we can do to track down where the fault lies.

If you don't want my assistance that's fine.

My sincere apologies for my previous rude reply to your helpful post,

Anonone

cnewton2k
13-05-2005, 12:23
Hi all

In all fairness i am really happy with the quality of service that i have got from NTL, have been with them for about a month and a bit now and i get around 350K a second download all the time. :D

Ignition
13-05-2005, 14:04
My sincere apologies for my previous rude reply to your helpful post,

Anonone

No problem, please feel free using the PM feature on the site to provide me with your current IP address.