PDA

View Full Version : Upload speed not supported/guarenteed??

Earwig
11-05-2005, 20:26
Ever since I upgraded to the 3MB service my upload has been very poor.

Somethimes it can work absolutely brilliantly and run at 36KB/s till the cows come home, but at other times (Most of the time) it runs between 1-12KB/s.

It does this with NO downloading atall so the line is not saturated by me.

I have spoken to several people at NTL tech over the months and have been told it is my pc etc etc.....

But out of those several people I have managed to find 2 of them (1 was the MANAGER who's name I have) that say it is NOT my PC and that it is the NETWORK UTILISATION.

With him (The manager) on the phone I started to upload to my NTL webspace and as soon as I started the Network utilisation jumped by 80%!!!!!

This obviously accounts for my problem as if I am using 80% of it when I am uploading what the hell is it going to be like when the rest of the people on my network start to upload?? I have been told that there are 120 Modems on my network and I am using all the bandwidth by myself for upload??

From here I was told that NTL only support the download and that as I was getting no problems with download there was nothing they can do?

It is getting to the stage now where I am beginning to tear my hair out in frustration as I simply cannot upload atall.....If I use P2P I cannot upload at a steady rate, if my girlfriend wants to upload her pictures from the camera to a secure server it takes 10 Minutes to upload 2MB or less.....

Is this right?? Do they not gaurentee uploads??

I would not really expect to get 36KB/s all day everyday but maybe somewhere between 27-36KB/s would not be to much to expect?

I really want to stay with NTL because the Download speeds are exceptional but if I cannot upload at a steady rate then there is no point? No matter where I turn I just get blanked and this last one seems to be a wall that I may not get through......

CAn anyone help with what I have been told? True or otherwise? Can anyone fix my upload? Ignition was a great help in fixing download before xmas :D

Any help/advice greatly appreciated. And thanks for taking the time to listen to me moan. :o :)

Paul
11-05-2005, 20:33
Neither the upload or download speeds are guarenteed, they are simply maximums.

Chris W
11-05-2005, 20:33
not in work until next week, but if you bung me the modem's mac address i will have a dig when i go back in.

Earwig
11-05-2005, 22:29
not in work until next week, but if you bung me the modem's mac address i will have a dig when i go back in.

Thanks....PM ok for you?

Surely it is no exceptable that load increases by 80% when I upload? :erm: :Yikes:

As I write this it is working 100% at 33-35KB/s........so, so erratic :rolleyes:

Chris W
11-05-2005, 22:50
Thanks....PM ok for you?

Surely it is no exceptable that load increases by 80% when I upload? :erm: :Yikes:

As I write this it is working 100% at 33-35KB/s........so, so erratic :rolleyes:

PM is fine

I very very much doubt that you personally are causing an 80% increase in utilisation- if you were then this would mean the upstream over the channel was 500k and it definately isn't. (can't remember what it actually is... but it is in several of Ignitions posts if you want to find out).

Hom3r
11-05-2005, 23:01
my 3Mb is
Direction

Actual Speed True Speed (estimated)
Downstream 2851 Kbps (356.4 KB/sec) 3079 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream 283 Kbps (35.4 KB/sec) 305 Kbps (inc. overheads)

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedtest.asp

Chris W
11-05-2005, 23:05
my 3Mb is
Direction

Actual Speed True Speed (estimated)
Downstream 2851 Kbps (356.4 KB/sec) 3079 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream 283 Kbps (35.4 KB/sec) 305 Kbps (inc. overheads)

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedtest.asp

good for you...exactly as it should be :tu:

Ignition
11-05-2005, 23:53
PM is fine

I very very much doubt that you personally are causing an 80% increase in utilisation- if you were then this would mean the upstream over the channel was 500k and it definately isn't. (can't remember what it actually is... but it is in several of Ignitions posts if you want to find out).

4.4Mbit/channel in over 99.5% of the network.

Earwig
13-05-2005, 20:49
PM is fine

Tnx.

I will send you my Mac address via PM.

You say you are in work next week??

I will leave my PC on MAX upload but no download from sunday night then and leave it running till I hear from you. Or do you want the connection idle?

Again I appreciated the help. This really is the last straw though coz I really need to have a stable upload. :)