PDA

View Full Version : Wi-fi interefence

Hom3r
11-05-2005, 18:52
I have this problem, I just turn on my computer and it connected to a neighbours network:shocked: , will limited access. I turned off my wi-fi on the laptop and turned on my wi-fi/internet connection and returned on my laptop wi-fi.

is the any way for me to let them know that there network is not secure, i've put there MAc address into my block list to stop them from accessing my network.

leeswin
11-05-2005, 19:01
The only thing you can do is advise and possibly show them, I had the same problem here, luckily I knew the people and scenerio.

Your best options for security are:-
1) put a WEP key on (nice 256 key)
2) turn off broadcast once its all set up and working (stop people scanning for you network).

This wil not only stop them, but also anyone else from locking on to your network on purpose and stealing your bandwidth because there are people out there who do this sorta thing on purpose!!

rememebr the addage play safe!!

Hom3r
11-05-2005, 19:20
i've already setup the wep key, stopped transmitting my SSID and put there MAC address into my MAC filtering to block it.

I don't know who the person is, but know they have a Netgear network.

zing_deleted
11-05-2005, 20:03
is the any way for me to let them know that there network is not secure, i've put there MAc address into my block list to stop them from accessing my network.

Knock on all there doors and say I know what you been browsing,when they say what you mean say " your netgear wireless network is not secure" they could say I use linksys or whats a network.You will then know who to tell :LOL:

you could try creating a notepad on their desktop tottally freak them out

gary_580
11-05-2005, 20:23
why not go talk a walk with your laptop. The signal strength should tell you if you are walking in the right direction or not

Ramrod
11-05-2005, 20:24
Just did a quick scan of my vicinity and discovered an open network...............connected to it but signal was so poor that it dropped me.
Then I had to re-enter my wep key to get back onto my network....that'll teach me :rolleyes:

gary_580
11-05-2005, 20:25
Just did a quick scan of my vicinity and discovered an open network...............connected to it but signal was so poor that it dropped me.

or maybe it realised who you were ;)