PDA

View Full Version : moving out of parents - flat advice wanted

stamp92
11-05-2005, 12:57
im moving out of my parents soon in the next few months once i get back into work and have a steady income ( i have been studying at college for last 2yrs ). I am getting married in september to a girl from Guatemala and I need to find my wife and myself a flat to live in ( this is part of the requirements of a spouse settlement visa).

can anyone who lives in cardiff/bristol advice me about getting myself accomdation in either places.

i have signed myself up to wales and west housing association but i have heard that their waiting list is very very very long so in the meantime i must find myself privately rented accomdation.

studio flat / 1 bed room flat??
furnished/unfurnished?
best websites/agencies to search for flats in cardiff/bristol?

orangebird
11-05-2005, 13:09
im moving out of my parents soon in the next few months once i get back into work and have a steady income ( i have been studying at college for last 2yrs ). I am getting married in september to a girl from Guatemala and I need to find my wife and myself a flat to live in ( this is part of the requirements of a spouse settlement visa).

can anyone who lives in cardiff/bristol advice me about getting myself accomdation in either places.

i have signed myself up to wales and west housing association but i have heard that their waiting list is very very very long so in the meantime i must find myself privately rented accomdation.

studio flat / 1 bed room flat?? - 1 bed if you possibly can. Studios are bad enough for one person, let alone two. We all need a little space.
furnished/unfurnished?

Personally I prefer unfurnished, but if budget is tight, furnished is OK. But you may pay a bigger deposit.
best websites/agencies to search for flats in cardiff/bristol?

Local newspapers are the best. Soemtimes you can find owners advertising rather than agents, which means fewer charges such as agency fees, credit checks and deposits. Good luck! :tu:

Croker
11-05-2005, 15:35

Do you have any sort of budget?

i.e how much are you looking to pay?
Would you prefer the bills and council tax included etc?

stamp92
13-05-2005, 17:45
well im thinking of earning abt 650-750 a month

i guess id pay between 250-350 rent a month. 60 council tax...i dont know how much water, gas and electric will cost. 30 a week food ....

i would prefer the bills and council tax included if its better value for money.

Silent Wings
13-05-2005, 17:51
Why not check on www.rightmove.co.uk (http://www.rightmove.co.uk)

As I don't know the areas you are talking about I don't know what might be dodgy, but it would give you an Idea of what you'd get for your money......;)

Croker
14-05-2005, 10:26
well im thinking of earning abt 650-750 a month

i guess id pay between 250-350 rent a month. 60 council tax...i dont know how much water, gas and electric will cost. 30 a week food ....

i would prefer the bills and council tax included if its better value for money.

as a sort of yardstick in the cardiff area - you could probably get a self contained flat for about £100/week not including any bills. If you went for shared facilities (bathroom down the passage type of thing) you could get it about 50/60/week Good idea if you can deal with the landlord direct as you could avoid the dreaded letting agents