PDA

View Full Version : Plate Tectonic Model

hyclaase
09-05-2005, 21:10
Hey I was refered by Tuftus, I am busy doing my Physical geography degree and have an essay question asking hoe the plate tectonic model assists us in explaining geological features. Now I think they mean models showing divergence, convergence and conservative plate boundries, but am not 100% sure as that seems too easy, does any one have any ideas before i loose my mind:mad:

Tuftus
09-05-2005, 21:12
:welcome: Heather and if you can help her please do as I am a thicky when it comes to this stuff...

:p:

Raistlin
09-05-2005, 21:13
Hi hyclaase :welcome: (Heather, apparently ;) )

Plate Tectonic Model?

I think I'd be thinking upon the same lines as you are.

The model shows is that where the plates converge (and pressure builds) we get features such as mountains etc (or at least I think that's what you meant by convergence).....

I'm really not that good at Geography (didn't even get my GCSE) so maybe someone else will have a better idea?

Oh, and you might want to keep the fact that Tuftus referred you strictly to yourself. That one's trouble ;)

hyclaase
09-05-2005, 21:16
thanks for that! am a bit stressed today, had a big test as well and dont think i did so well... oh well never mind

Roy MM
09-05-2005, 21:16
http://www.itis-molinari.mi.it/Introduction.html

homealone
09-05-2005, 21:18
:welcome: indeedy

- the only problem with this kind of request is that you will get a load of google links

http://pubs.usgs.gov/publications/text/understanding.html

like that, which will be difficult to use in your work without being accused of plagiarism...

I thought the diagrams were good in that link though :tu:

hyclaase
09-05-2005, 21:19
cheers for that, in -depth web link... !!!;)

MetaWraith
09-05-2005, 21:27
Does this help ?
http://www.crystalinks.com/tectonicplates.html

Roy MM
09-05-2005, 21:27
:welcome: indeedy

- the only problem with this kind of request is that you will get a load of google links

http://pubs.usgs.gov/publications/text/understanding.html

like that, which will be difficult to use in your work without being accused of plagiarism...

I thought the diagrams were good in that link though :tu:

I read my googles then rewrite in my own words to show i understand what i have just read, hardly plagiarism, every thing your lecturer says do you repeat word for word? now that would look like you was recording it lol

MetaWraith
09-05-2005, 22:06
Copying from one source is plagarism,
copying from many is research :)

Roy MM
09-05-2005, 22:23
Copying from one source is plagarism,
copying from many is research :)

Thank you sir, have a greenie.

Kliro
09-05-2005, 22:28
Its not plagarism if you make a bibliography.

As for the question, seems vague, what type of geological features?

Im thinking it can only show surface features, maybe earthquake epicentres at plate boundaries?
Formation of mid ocean ridges etc?

Would you write about how it is a visual aid?

Strzelecki
09-05-2005, 22:58
How about thrust belts, relay ramps, subsidence, hot spots, island arcs, paleomagnetism, lithosphere extension, convection, Moho...shall I go on, key words, you'll have to research them though, just finished my geology degree.

hyclaase
09-05-2005, 22:59
yeah it is vague, i think with features they are refering to rift valleys, fold mountains etc....visual aid to help explain it, good thinking

Mr_love_monkey
09-05-2005, 22:59
...How about thrust belts....

Don't you get those from those little shops, with blacked out windows, you find in seedy alleyways?

BBKing
09-05-2005, 23:00
an essay question asking hoe the plate tectonic model assists us in explaining geological features.

In very general terms plate techtonics explains:
1) Continuing physical processes visible in the world today (earthquakes/tsunamis for instance)
2) Historical processes, the results of which are visible today (e.g why Africa and South America fit rather neatly together, why there's a volcanic ridge down the middle of the Atlantic with neatly alternating frozen magnetic fields in the volcanic rocks laid down on either side).

By the sound of things they want you to concentrate on the second of these. There's a couple to start you off there. Pretty much everything (apart from erosion and meteor hits, really) is the result of tectonic activity, so pick a few large-scale physical features and find out how they got there. Job done. Throw in moving volcanic hotspots for extra marks.

hyclaase
09-05-2005, 23:01
Lol!!! thrust belts are fantastic!! conjure up all sorts of images lol

Strzelecki
09-05-2005, 23:01
:)I wouldn't know! Find them where there are mountains though, in a geological context.

hyclaase
09-05-2005, 23:03
man alive, I have just read what I typed to start with.... please excuse the spelling! ;-)

Strzelecki
09-05-2005, 23:04
How about the Mohorovicic Discontinuity, Grabens, strike slip, slickensides, could talk about the break up of Pangea, formation of the Atlantic, mid ocean ridges etc..

hyclaase
09-05-2005, 23:09
i think Pangea is def in there, i have some ideas now, thanks for all the help, you guys are great! will def post on here again

BBKing
09-05-2005, 23:10
Mohorovicic Discontinuity

One of the great Prog Rock bands, I always thought.

Raistlin
09-05-2005, 23:11
One of the great Prog Rock bands, I always thought.

Sounds more like a disease of the bowels (or vowels) to me.....

hyclaase
09-05-2005, 23:15
disease of vowels or me just fuming at the computer screen because it wasnt telling me what i wanted to know... I am much happier now

Raistlin
09-05-2005, 23:19
disease of vowels or me just fuming at the computer screen because it wasnt telling me what i wanted to know... I am much happier now

:LOL:

I meant Mohorovicic Discontinuity but your answer makes mine seem funnier so that's ok ;)

hyclaase
09-05-2005, 23:22
lol

Graham
09-05-2005, 23:41
Is this going to be another of those "someone wants us to do their homework for them, so we're going to stitch them up" threads?! :D

(PS If you *want* thrust belts, I know a very good supplier...!! :naughty: )

homealone
10-05-2005, 00:01
Is this going to be another of those "someone wants us to do their homework for them, so we're going to stitch them up" threads?! :D

(PS If you *want* thrust belts, I know a very good supplier...!! :naughty: )

that bloke who offers a free wrist rest, with every order, you mean :jk:

I like threads like this, I hadn't realised there was so much controversy in tectonic theory - "learning all the time" ;)

Raistlin
10-05-2005, 00:21
I like threads like this, I hadn't realised there was so much controversy in tectonic theory - "learning all the time" ;)

If you like this you'll just love the one we had about ice melting a while back, I'll see if I can find it for you :Sprint:

The good stuff (where we get into melting Ice etc) starts on Page 3.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=22303

But you posted at least 5 posts in that thread so maybe you don't want to rush off and read it.....

homealone
10-05-2005, 00:43
If you like this you'll just love the one we had about ice melting a while back, I'll see if I can find it for you :Sprint:

The good stuff (where we get into melting Ice etc) starts on Page 3.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=22303

But you posted at least 5 posts in that thread so maybe you don't want to rush off and read it.....

I can't reply just now - on topic, anyway ;)

IIRC I bookmarked

http://www.lsbu.ac.uk/water/index.html

:D

altis
10-05-2005, 10:26

If Google finds millos of pages for you then try a Google image search instead. Anyone who really knows their stuff will have put some good pictures on their site - for we all know that every picture is worth a thousand words. You can sometimes cut the number down a bit by selecting only large images and always look out for the sites that have several images on the same topic.

So, you could try:

http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&q=plate+tectonics

...and note, for example, that observe.arc.nasa.gov has more results.

Tuftus
10-05-2005, 20:46
I would just like to take this opportunity to thank all that have posted in reply to my fiances plea for help...

Heather and I will go through and rep all accordingly when she gets in from work later tonight!!

Again, many thanks!!!

Andy

Raistlin
10-05-2005, 20:47
Fiance? Nobody mentioned that!!

What are you doing woman - run now while you still can.....

:jk:

Tuftus
10-05-2005, 20:57
:)

hyclaase
10-05-2005, 23:20
Fiance? Nobody mentioned that!!

What are you doing woman - run now while you still can.....

lol i was never any good at athletics!!
cool panic attack over, i have had loads of good ideas, all thanks to you lot!!!

Raistlin
10-05-2005, 23:22
Just so you know for next time, there's a "Quote" button in the bottom right hand corner of each post.

If you click that it will allow you to quote the person in that post.

It puts tags like this [ QUOTE ] and [ / QUOTE ] around the post (but without all the spaces.

If you leave those tags in you will get this effect:

lol i was never any good at athletics!!
cool panic attack over, i have had loads of good ideas, all thanks to you lot!!!

Makes it easier to tell which bits you're quoting, and which are your post.

You're welcome by the way :D

Tuftus
10-05-2005, 23:37
Just so you know for next time, there's a "Quote" button in the bottom right hand corner of each post.

If you click that it will allow you to quote the person in that post.

It puts tags like this [ QUOTE ] and [ / QUOTE ] around the post (but without all the spaces.

If you leave those tags in you will get this effect:

Makes it easier to tell which bits you're quoting, and which are your post.

You're welcome by the way :D

She is young.... but she will learn... :D

homealone
11-05-2005, 00:01
well I must be using 'that' shampoo & conditioner, because I have been multiply repped - thankyou ;)

Tuftus
11-05-2005, 00:03
well I must be using 'that' shampoo & conditioner, because I have been multiply repped - thankyou ;)

Me too ;)

homealone
11-05-2005, 00:28
Me too ;)

how do you spell obfuscate, again.........

Tuftus
11-05-2005, 00:31
how do you spell obfuscate, again.........

Just like you did... ;)

My speilchucker is faulty...

:p:

hyclaase
11-05-2005, 21:30
lol i am just way too nice for my own good!!!

Tuftus
11-05-2005, 22:02
lol i am just way too nice for my own good!!!

;)

:angel: